Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: OWNER - Glen (199)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

OWNER - Glen (199)

I'm proud to announce that I have added a second 1994 E500 to my stable. It's Black Pearl (199) with black interior and came to me with just shy of 580,000 miles! Yes, that's right, 580,000 miles. If the high mileage sounds familiar to you, you deduced correctly that this is the DrP car.

DrP decided it was time to pass the car on and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I have not mapped out a complete plan for the car yet and for the immediate future, I will simply be dusting it off, repairing a few things, and driving it. Sadly, I won't be able to accumulate miles as quickly as DrP.

For a car with this many miles, it runs remarkably well. The engine idles perfectly and pulls very well all the way to redline. It passed California emissions easily with as near as I can tell, the original factory catalytic converter. I haven't had time to do a full assessment but what the car basically needs is to have the suspension refreshed. It also needs some diagnostics for the ASR/ABS system. Cosmetically, the paint is sun faded and as you might expect, the front has a patina that only 580,000 miles can inflict! It is remarkably free of dents with only minor door dings here and there.

Anyway, there you have it. Here's a picture sitting in my driveway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Re: OWNER - Glen (199)

Congrats.
    Even if the miles counter won't be ticking as fast, it's clearly the front runner for reaching 1 million km's.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    Congrats on the purchase!

Congratulations, Glen! That's a lot of miles! It makes me happy I decided to keep mine!
    1992 500E, black pearl with light grey interior, 216,000+ miles
    2007 E63 AMG, graphite with designo grey/black interior, 50,000+ miles
    1995 E320 Wagon, moonstone grey with parchment interior, 98,000+ miles
    1993 300TE Wagon, canyon brown with creme beige interior, 175,000+ miles

Nice one, Glen! May you have many more miles with it.

The throne has been passed on
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Congratulation so much!

I hope you are keeping the patina on it, this car is a very good sample proving the 036s long life.
    Last edited by 500AMM; 02-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Oh, that's unexpected! What will DrP drive from now on?

I'm glad this road-eater has fallen into good hands. I'm sure you'll take great care of it!

Also: I demand more photo's!
    "But if you really must have the Porsche — if you really must have a Porsche sedan — you can buy a 500E and have enough left over for something air-cooled"

I, too, am wondering what DrP will be driving now. He was my hero in the high mileage department. I mean, what could possibly be a better daily driver than a 500E?
    DrP, what did you replace it with?
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

Glen, it is now up to you. Our new High Mileage King!
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500

Damn.. Take good care of the car, it's quickly becoming a legend

Congratulations, Glen! May the legend go on...
    1993 500E - SOLD
    ASR defeat, Renntech chip, remote start, remote entry,
    Debadged, Color-matched cladding & Grill, Silver Arrow brake upgrade

Wow congrats!! Nice to see the torch passed along to another worthy owner! I'm sure she's in very capable hands!
    ~Stacey

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

E500E Mileage King

Yep I sold her...not an easy decision after driving it (exactly) for half a million miles. I wanted to pass the car to someone passionate about her and competent enough to keep her running, hence Glen......I changed jobs, house and we have a lot of new priorities right now...and I will not be able to add many more miles as I now for the first time work <10miles from where I live. So I will continue driving my '78 450 SL (with no roof, she just passed smog, YAY!) and - for daily driving - my '02 E55 AMG. Able ersatz car for the 500 but not the mystique of the .036....(and only 124k miles, i.e. just roughed in barely). I will follow my old cars story, just a new chapter has been opened.

Thanks Glen for taking care of her !

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quick update:
    Waiting for new rear wheel carrier bushings (outer LCA bushings), should be here on Tuesday. Replaced both rear hydrostruts. Replaced both front strut mounts. Amazingly, the bushings in all the rear links are NOT that bad. I will replace them when I do the subframe bushings in the future but they are fine for now.

I need to go through the huge stack of records from DrP but the front struts are not original and appear to be standard W124 parts as they lack the internal spring buffers.

I like your thinking here Glen, you're going to keep this bird running. I believe this car will have a ton of life left in it.

"I think that in any race engine, the nearer you are to it disintegrating, in general, the better it's performance will be." Keith Duckworth

~BANNED~

I hope Glen will keep it in the family to add another 420,000 miles on the car...we need to have one of these .036 gems reach the million miles club.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by szvook View Post
    I hope Glen will keep it in the family to add another 420,000 miles on the car...we need to have one of these .036 gems reach the million miles club.
    Unfortunately, I doubt I'll put on more than 5k to 10k miles per year on it...so it's going to be a LONG time before I hit 1M miles.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I'm hoping to see it hit 1M kilometers... that alone would be highly impressive.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I'm hoping to see it hit 1M kilometers... that alone would be highly impressive.

That's only about 40k more miles, that's doable, I think.

A cool wrap on the exterior would really be a reasonable $ way to address the paint condition.

Also, have you seen any threads where folks apply gloss rustoleum with a low nap roller? After many layers of application, they color sand and polish. The paint job is (very) reasonably priced (less than $250 for all materials), and can look amazingly good.

I know you've got other things to do first, but just thought I'd put this out there.

I'm eager for a ride in it!

Doug

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
    A cool wrap on the exterior would really be a reasonable $ way to address the paint condition.

Also, have you seen any threads where folks apply gloss rustoleum with a low nap roller? After many layers of application, they color sand and polish. The paint job is (very) reasonably priced (less than $250 for all materials), and can look amazingly good.

I know you've got other things to do first, but just thought I'd put this out there.

I'm eager for a ride in it!

Doug
    A friend of mine did the Rustoleum job on his Miata, came out pretty nice...but I'm not sure it's up to .036 standards. Wrapping is an interesting option that I might consider if it can be done in a gloss.

As soon as I get it put back together later this week, I'll take you for a ride!

Cool - look forward to it.

Here's a thread I had followed about a guy who did his 911 in gloss black wrap. DIY, too. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-911-wrap.html

Doug

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    New wheel carrier bushings came in today. I installed them after dinner and put the car back together. Together with the new front strut mounts and replacement hydrostruts no more clunking over bumps!

Still have a ton of little issues to resolve but I'm happy with the results so far.

I have the steering idler I removed that might tighten up the front. It was quite tight - do you want it? New is $115. I also have an O2 sensor dated 12/7. Best as I can tell, the sensor is barely used - not many miles on it since then. Maybe it will be newer than the one in the drp car?

plan to bring it by soon and we can give it an review.

Thumbs up to your progress!
    Doug
    Last edited by DW SD; 02-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Glen and I had a look at the DrP car last night - popped it up on the lift. It leaks like a sieve, but Glen has a plan. It appears the lower pan gasket is leaking as well as the valve cover gaskets. Cleaning everything up and changing those parts (as well as the o-ring or oil leak sender) will likely be next steps.

The car runs amazingly well! It pulls very hard. It might have a lazy tack. Initially, an ignition miss was diagnosed at high rpm, but later theory is the tack is a little lazy and we were hitting the redline and rev limiter... oops. Who wouldn't be lazy after 580k miles???? The transmission (not-rebuilt) seems to work without flaw and with almost no delay going into reverse.

The suspension is a little sloppy (only a little), but Glen is getting that dialed in, too. A fun project! A very serviceable and unique car will result I am absolutely certain!

Good to work with you last night! That was a fun break for a Wednesday.

Doug

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The transmission will upshift automatically around 6000rpm, before the rev limiter kicks in at ~6250. If the "misfire" is prior to the trans upshift, something is fishy. What is described should not happen unless you are manually holding the car in gear (shift lever in B or 2) up to the rev limiter.

An easy test for the tach is to temporarily swap clusters with the other car and see if the numbers appear the same during a WOT blast. Otherwise you'll either need a digital scanner to view live RPM data, or use an external tach. The tachs in my cars are both optimistic, btw, not pessimistic (i.e., they read higher RPM than actual near redline). I never knew this until I installed a digital AutoMeter DPSS tach.

Y'all probably know this but if you drop the lower oil pan, replace the oil level sensor O-rings, and possibly the sensor itself (which comes with new O-rings). The plastic gets brittle over time and 580kmi.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Thanks for helping me last night, Doug. Having a second set of eyes really helps in identifying possible problem areas. The list of problem areas is fairly long but I do plan to address them all...over time.

Dave, yes when I do the lower pan gasket, I'll replace the level sensor O-rings and/or the sensor itself...thanks.

I vote you leave the car's patina as it is ! That gem will win every 'preservation class' trophy at every show it attends I bet.

Great purchase Glen and kudos to the good doctor for an amazing feat with that car.
    1992 500E - Spruce Green(249) Cream-biege (275)
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I vote you leave the car's patina as it is ! That gem will win every 'preservation class' trophy at every show it attends I bet.

Great purchase Glen and kudos to the good doctor for an amazing feat with that car.
    Thanks Jim. Once all mechanical systems are functioning, I'll look into cosmetics.

E500E Mileage King

Glen and Doug, thanks so much for getting all those 580kmile problems addressed!
    A few comments from my side :
    It leaks like a sieve, but Glen has a plan. It appears the lower pan gasket is leaking as well as the valve cover gaskets. Cleaning everything up and changing those parts (as well as the o-ring or oil leak sender) will likely be next steps
    There was actually some repair done in the recent two years , the pan (incl oil pressure sensor/seal) HAS been replaced and did not leak afterwards. This particular leak went directly on the exhaust (and it smelled very badly). The leakage I observed AFTERWARDS was not coming from there but suspectedly from the front engine side (somewhere between engine and servo pump, out of that thicket on the driver side there where you really cannot see anything). The servo pump is "new" as well (i.e. <100k miles), the leaked stuff does not look or smell like ATF. My suspicion is either the front timing cover gasket or another one I do not know about. I do not assume the head gaskets leak, that would mean a significant power loss which I think is not existent. My proposal is to (power-) clean all the visible oil from the bottom side and then let the engine run and see where it's seeping from. I looked there at least a 100 times (with at least 7 different knowledgable mechanics, every single one with a different leakage theory. The timing chain front gasket was from my old German mechanic (who I trust the most)...this would be bad news as in order to replace this the heads would have to come off. I hope it's something different.

E500E Mileage King

The transmission (not-rebuilt) seems to work without flaw and with almost no delay going into reverse.

WOW that's a mild understatement...but you guys have comparisons with your own cars. How I remember the shift to "R" is you shift and go shower. When you come back the car is starting to roll in reverse.....

I am collecting my first mileage experiences w/ the W210 E55 AMG now. I intend to write a little experience report about the .036 vs. the AMG (which is a tight race, I can tell you) about plus and minus of the two in direct comparison from my humble [long distance driver] viewpoint
    Last edited by DrP; 02-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.

DrP,
    I think the reverse delay is normal. Amazing it shifts really crisply too. I had a new lower pan gasket that was leaking. It was not tight. Last night we tightened up the pan gasket as it was very loose. After the pressure wash more should be revealed. Might be worth just the oring for the level sender if the pan gasket is replaced.

Will you go with us on May 18 to the classic center? The E55 should fit in!

E500E Mileage King

I would love to , as ".036 owner emeritus"....but I teach on Saturdays (in San Bernardino)...let's see if I can find a replacement for that morning. The classic center is great (they have a car like I grew up with in there, an 180D Ponton). Until then you and Glen have fixed up the 500 to show quality I'm sure.....I definitely would like to see her again. I will see what I can do.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    The valve cover gaskets are definitely leaking so those will be changed first. The lower pan had some loose bolts which we snugged up. I will continue degreasing the engine to make it easier to diagnose.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

There should be no delay when you shift to reverse. It should engage immediately. A delay of 1-2 seconds indicates moderate wear. A delay of 4+ seconds means the trans is in borrowed time. If all the other shifts are ok, the reverse clutches can be replaced without full disassembly, I belive you just need to R&R the front pump. Still a major DIY job though.

Reverse engages in less than one second, more or less immediately, I'd say. Maybe under different circumstances, it might operate differently?? The car was warmed up, but not hot when I backed it out of the garage for my turn behind the wheel.

The transmission could benefit from the same seal job that I did on mine (removal the external modules and changing o-rings + the rear output shaft. There appears some slow weeping which has collected a little dirt, but nothing that appears wet. I suspect the sealing o-rings might have just lost their shape. Compared to the engine, it is bone dry

The suspension bushings looked pretty solid, too. One of the front lower control arm bushings had the beginnings of a tear with possibly some breakdown from being wet with oil.

A really solid car given its history!

Doug

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets, started with the easier driver side this evening. The good news is that the cams look really good considering the miles! The bad news is that past mechanics used a bunch of sealant on the gasket flanges. Cleanup is gonna be a PITA.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363058909.717605.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363058926.034947.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363058946.687921.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363058964.360311.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363058909.717605.jpg

This does not look like a picture taken of car with 580k miles on it.
    "I think that in any race engine, the nearer you are to it disintegrating, in general, the better it's performance will be." Keith Duckworth

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The heads & cams look great. Sorry to hear about the idiot mechanic. I had to deal with that on a couple of my cars. Real shame these hacks almost never have to deal with the consequences of their stupidity in the future. Cleaning the sealant off the head & VC is a miserable job. BT, DT.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Totally agree. It clearly had routine oil changes and scheduled maintenance.

I had thought even a well built car would be used up by 500k miles. Clearly this notion is just plain wrong.

I had thought even a well built car would be used up by 500k miles. Clearly this notion is just plain wrong.
    With proper maintenance, why would a car (or engine) be used up at 500k? One thing that engines don't like so much is heating up and cooling down again. DrP said that when he leaves in the morning, the temp gauge is still at 40C or so, so the engine never really gets totally cold. I can imagine how that, combined with proper maintenance, gives a nearly indestructible engine.
    "But if you really must have the Porsche — if you really must have a Porsche sedan — you can buy a 500E and have enough left over for something air-cooled"

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmer View Post
    With proper maintenance, why would a car (or engine) be used up at 500k? One thing that engines don't like so much is heating up and cooling down again. DrP said that when he leaves in the morning, the temp gauge is still at 40C or so, so the engine never really gets totally cold. I can imagine how that, combined with proper maintenance, gives a nearly indestructible engine.
    That is the keyword, Jelmer - and along with a sober driving style. I guess most people have seen two identic cars with 170kkm alongside, one in good condition and the other one is "used up" as Doug said. If the car is used as a bulldozer it will be thereafter.
    Last edited by 500AMM; 03-13-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Arnt

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

It depends on the car. For the W124, and most Mercedes built prior to the mid-1990's, they can easily go past 500k if the wear items are replaced as needed (rubber bushings, gaskets, seals, etc) and all maintenance is done on schedule (fluids, filters). Few other cars are built this well.

~BANNED~

Glen, did the good Dr. run dyno or synthetic oil?

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by szvook View Post
    Glen, did the good Dr. run dyno or synthetic oil?
    According to DrP's records, he had the oil changed at various places but usually had Mobil 1 put in. Weight was not specified in most cases.

Forgot to mention, he had the oil changed every 7500 miles.
    Last edited by Glen; 03-13-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add OCI

Intl 500E GTG coordinator 195910's Avatar

This car must be put on display at the MB museum in Stuttgart. Just need to get it up to 1M !

Arnt & Jelmer,
    I suspect Bulldozers actually get better care than most automobiles! They are assets to a business and often cared for greatly (despite their intended use). Most folks run their cars into the ground and give up on them after 100k or 150k miles.

I've never owned a car long enough to find its wear limits. My perception is clearly proven wrong, which was my point!! Thanks Dr. P and Glen for documenting and opening my eyes to all of this!

My 124.036 has 189k chassis miles. The engine supposedly about 70k (Bart put a 60k mile engine in it and said he redid the trans clutches). I've seen replaced the entire suspension. It runs and drives I believe it did when it left the factory ~ it is a real joy.

At +400k miles, it appears the DrP car can achieve the same experience for Glen. AWESOME!

Doug

Arnt & Jelmer,
    I suspect Bulldozers actually get better care than most automobiles! They are assets to a business and often cared for greatly (despite their intended use). Most folks run their cars into the ground and give up on them after 100k or 150k miles.

I've never owned a car long enough to find its wear limits. My perception is clearly proven wrong, which was my point!! Thanks Dr. P and Glen for documenting and opening my eyes to all of this!

My 124.036 has 189k chassis miles. The engine supposedly about 70k (Bart put a 60k mile engine in it and said he redid the trans clutches). I've seen replaced the entire suspension. It runs and drives I believe it did when it left the factory ~ it is a real joy.

At +400k miles, it appears the DrP car can achieve the same experience for Glen. AWESOME!

Doug
    Ahh - you're absolutely right about the bulldozers, incorrect wording from my side, sorry. I meant USED or FORCED as a bulldozer (..corrected my previous post).

The DR.P car gives me in fact a relieved feeling for keeping my 036 on a long term. It is really great that Glen bought this car so we can watch it's comming life.
    Arnt

Arnt & Jelmer,

Doug
    This is true. The great majority of the general public (at least in the US) have little knowledge of what is usually their 2nd greatest asset.

Glen, I'm pleased you have this car as well.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Synthetic oil changed at regular intervals is the primary reason the engine looks like new inside. Plenty of similar documented experiences are out there.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Today's update: new OE valve cover gaskets installed. I took the car for a spirited 45 minute drive and the heads are dry! Before, the exhaust manifolds would smoke after a 20 minute drive...no smoke now
    For those paying attention, I cheated and did not clean the sealant from the valve covers...instead, I installed a spare set I had, much less work, LOL. The original covers I will media blast and have powder coated.
    And just to confirm what's already been mentioned. The OE valve cover gaskets are definitely superior to aftermarket. I used aftermarket on my 744 car and had to use tape to hold the gasket to the valve cover during installation. That worked fine and they don't leak but the OE gaskets press on firmly and don't move during installation. Worth the extra $4 per side!

Lastly, I borrowed the VIM 5mm hex driver with universal from DW SD and it works great. It's quite easy to get to the rear valve cover bolts. Highly recommend the tool. Thanks Doug!

Next up is to replace the lower pan gasket, oil lever sender o-rings, and smog pump hoses.

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Time for another update:
    I haven't had much time to work on this car but I managed to replace the lower pan gasket, oil level sender o-rings, and all the smog pump hoses which were hard and brittle. To replace the hoses and clamps, it's easiest to remove the alternator and smog pump so while I had them out I degreased them. With everything out of the way, I found where the majority of oil was leaking from...the timing cover! Bummer. BUT, I also happened to notice that there were three loose bolts, presumably due to a prior mechanic. Since I didn't have the time or energy for more disassembly, I simply tightened the bolts and put everything back together. This was last Monday.

Since then, I've been driving the car every day and keeping a lookout for oil drips. A month and a half ago, I was losing at least 4 ounces a week, some getting by the valve covers and hitting the exhaust manifolds, some from the lower pan gasket, and the majority dripping down from the timing cover filtering through the alternator. I'm happy to report that over the last 5 days, I haven't had a single drop hit the floor. Now, understand that it does still leak but what was essentially a down pour is now a minor weep. This morning I could see the start of a drop forming at the bottom of the alternator, if I didn't wipe it off, it probably would have dripped in the next few days. Still, this is a huge win. I will fix the leak properly at some point but it's what I consider a very manageable amount so I can focus on the other hundred things that need attention on this car.

Great news Glen thanks for keeping us updated
    1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

They should turn this into a Discovery Channel documentary! "Saving the classics with Glen"

E500E Mileage King

Hi Glen

you made my day ! I had not discovered that oil leak for more than 2 years, now you finally fixed it ! You deserve the E500 Nobel Prize for outstanding detection of leaks ! I am so glad that my old lady still runs that well. As for the interior of the engine (i.e. valve covers off) the notion on the board was exactly the same when my mechanic took the covers off for the first time @ 510k miles : he thought as well that this is not an org. engine !...but it is!! ... reason is clearly synthetic oil.
    As for the timing cover my mechanic had the same suspicion and had tightened the bolts for that cover. I sincerely hope that he did not overtighten them as you found them loose. Keep an eye on them ! Exchanging the whole cover is not an (easy) option as the heads would have to come off.....

I am really happy about what has become of the car and the engine...this will be a super restauration! Thanks Glen ! (and Doug and for all of you who helped!)
    Last edited by DrP; 04-15-2013 at 06:46 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Awesome work, Glen. Removing the timing cover to properly re-seal it is a major, major job. If the only problem is a slight oil leak between the timing cover and block junction, you could apply a wide bead of silicone RTV externally over the seam, from top to bottom (or as much as you can access). This would be a bit of a chore but it would be ~10x easier than pulling the timing cover. Maybe 100x easier. And for a minor leak, it just might do the trick. Something to keep in mind if you want to mess with it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Awesome work, Glen. Removing the timing cover to properly re-seal it is a major, major job. If the only problem is a slight oil leak between the timing cover and block junction, you could apply a wide bead of silicone RTV externally over the seam, from top to bottom (or as much as you can access). This would be a bit of a chore but it would be ~10x easier than pulling the timing cover. Maybe 100x easier. And for a minor leak, it just might do the trick. Something to keep in mind if you want to mess with it in the future.

Doing the timing cover was the most PITA Job i've ever done in my car hobby mechanic life... and that even while the engine was outside of the car. Crazy.
    That oilpump chain drove us nuts... Really try to avoid that work at all costs. Use RTV [externally] like gsxr mentioned. It did work on my M104 C36 AMG to seal it from Outside. But not all RTVs are suited for such a application.
    We used Elrings Dirko HT, which is specified by Elring to be used for "outside sealing" of parts.
    Christian K.
    06/1992 500E - DB199 Blauschwarz-Metallic
    09/1989 300E - DB172 Anthrazitgrau-Metallic
    11/1998 E430 - DB339 Violan-Metallic
    06/2003 CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR - DB197 Obsidianschwarz-Metallic

Go Glen, our (new) High mileage king!
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

When I bought the car, DrP mentioned that the right rear window needed a new regulator so yesterday I took the time to replace it. Luckily, I had a good used spare in inventory.

Oil leaks continue to be very, very minimal...actually no drips in the garage yet! But, there is still a minor smell of burning oil on the exhaust, not sure if it's residual or not. Could also be from the power steering system as all those hoses are wet; so those are on the r&r list.