Thread: 1995 E420 burning rich, then missing as warms up, then stalls and won’t restart (elapsed time 30 min).

1995 E420 burning rich, then missing as warms up, then stalls and won’t restart (elapsed time 30 min).

About 2 months ago my car started intermittently running rough and developed some vacuum leaks. So I dutifully went through and replaced the lines and connectors one at a time, resolving all of them. However, the car still had problems. One day it ran ok, the next it would stall. Now, it starts fine and runs for several minutes, but as it gets closer to "warmed up" it starts missing, and gets worse and worse until it stalls and won't let you restart it. I can tell that it's running rich as it warms up, but don't know what to do about it.

Here's the rundown on the service done:
    · Had it "smoke tested" for vacuum leaks by an Indy after the vacuum work - it passed - so I know it's not a vacuum leak.
    · Indy couldn't figure out what's wrong - said it's "wiring", but couldn't explain (other than $1500 bill they wanted to replace the harness). I don't see the point, since the Engine wiring harness and CC-ISC were both replaced in 2000.
    · cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor in the last few months with CRC MAF cleaner
    · replaced O2 sensor last 2 weeks
    · replaced both coolant temp sensors last 2 weeks
    · Checked Fuel Pressure regulator for leaking diagram (in case gas was pulling into vacuum line) and there was no gas smell.
    · NO Check Engine Light going turning on - it just won't run/drive when warm
    · bought a chinese Carsoft 7.4 and ran it's digital and Analog tests. It had a few codes, but were not very useful.
    · Reset error codes in all modules in Digital and Analog modes < with Carsoft
    · reset ECU - battery disconnect, wait, reconnect, start car
    · Ran Carsoft Digital tests again, Couldn't figure out LH error code it gave me after the "reset ECU"
    · Made the "LED Light Box" from jimforgones diagrams < thanks man!
    · LED Light Box - Error codes:
    pin 8 - error 5 -- max allowable temp in module box
    pin 17 - error 18 -- magnets for CKP sensor (L5) not recognized
    ·
    · 220K miles on car, I've done very good maint on it for the 170k I've owned it.
    · replaced the coils, cap's, rotors, spark plugs and wires last year - after a coil failed

· V.I.N.WDBEA34E65sc252538 < California Model without ASR.

I've read so much at this point my eyes are starting to permanently cross.
    Any idea's of what those codes mean for a W124 V8?

I also wonder if this is similar to estefan's 500E problems?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: 1995 E420 burning rich, then missing as warms up, then stalls and won’t restart (elapsed time 30 min).

Have you checked fuel pressure when the misfire occurs? This could be a failing fuel pump... I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. It was obvious what the problem was once the fuel pressure gauge was connected.

If the engine harness was replaced already (check the date code to confirm), it won't need replacement again.

Carsoft DOES NOT WORK properly on these engines!!! You will need to buy or build an analog blink code reader, and/or buy a proper digital scanner (Chinese SDS, or Snap-On MT2500 with MB kit). Disconnecting the battery DOES NOT clear the codes or reset anything, don't waste your time with that. That trick only works on newer models with ME injection (1996-up M119).

Check codes with the blinker box, and check fuel pressure, then report back...

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Re: 1995 E420 burning rich, then missing as warms up, then stalls and won’t restart (elapsed time 30 min).

First, thank you for taking the time to read my plight. I've seen many of your posts on various forums and found your opinions and knowledge to be top notch.
    Regarding the fuel pressure - I'll have to figure out how to get my pressure gauge on that connector, but I will go by Harbor Freight and get the hose tomorrow or Wednesday!
    I will also replace the fuel filter asap.
    The upper engine Wiring harness: Delphi FD 28.11.01
    The CC/ISC module is: VDO 408.226/3/6 99M06 (09)
    I made a Blinker box and got these codes from it tonight:
    pin 7 error 7
    pin 8 error 5 & 10 < I checked this twice and it does have those two.
    pin 17 error 18 < I checked it twice

Also, I took the car out for a 10 mile drive before collecting the codes. I thought I had reset the ECU, so I should let it collect data - oh well.
    Regarding the drive, just like before - as it warmed up, it started missing and bogging (you give it gas, and it lags badly).
    The bogging is also dependent on where the pedal is, light gas - runs a little better, push the pedal 1/3 or more and it bogs badly.
    It almost feels like the engine is running on 4 cylinders when this is happening (the exhaust sound changes too, low pitched rumbling). But you let off the throttle ALMOST completely, and the engine springs back to life. Hope that makes sense. I had to put the trans in neutral coming to each stop or the car would stall, and would be very difficult to restart - I had to play with the pedal a lot. Reminded me of my old '83 mustang GT and it's temperamental Holley 4 barrel. LOL

Regarding Carsoft - ugh, I bought it and THEN saw your post about them. It's a great product, unless you want to get any data or error codes that mean something out of it! What a waste.
    Thanks for pointing out that the ECU wasn't reset, that's one less gremlin for me to falsely think I fixed.

Thanks a bunch, I'll re-post as soon as I get the fuel filter and pressure readings done.

Randy M.
    Frisco TX
    1995 E420
    2003 ML500

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

pin 7 error 7: This is a CAN bus error. Not good. But, see below.

pin 8 error 5: This is a common error, don't worry about it.

pin 8 error 10: If this error comes back after you clear it - check the fuses on the BM. If one is bad, it may fix the pin 7 error also.

pin 17 error 18: This may or may not be a big deal. I'd focus on the items above first.

Can you clear all of those codes? If so, which ones come back immediately? Make sure you are using the PDF file in this post to translate the codes.

The symptoms you describe make perfect sense, it sounds exactly like the issues I had with my old E420. Light throttle = ok, heavy throttle = no go. If the fuel pressure checks out OK, it's extremely likely there is an ignition problem. This assumes it's not as simple as a blown fuse on the BM (pin 8 code 10).

first, one thing I forgot to mention about that drive the other night. I was suspicious of that "max allowable temp in module box" code - so I (don't laugh) put a sizable bag of ice directly behind the Module box before I drove it. In hindsight the fact that I could drive for 10 minutes makes the Post below interesting.

Well, I got the fuel filter replaced last night. Unfortunately that didn't fix it. I bought a fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Freight and tried using it (wow, gas everywhere).
    The gauge DID measure 50 psi at idle, as the gauge filled up with gasoline - yes, leaked that bad. LOL
    I disconnected the gauge and let the gas evaporate away for an hour,
    then tried something I think you mentioned before, raised the hood, took off the covers, made it pitch dark in the garage, started the car, let it idle for a few minutes while I looked for sparks/arcing. - Saw nothing, even though the car was missing quite a bit.
    then tried driving the car.
    It got down the alley and to the Stop sign, and promptly quit. I tried re-starting it for a good 10 minutes, it would just start to catch, (just enough to disengage the starter motor) and then stall (0 idle time). No matter what I did with the gas pedal, it wouldn't start. So I called my towing company (my teenage sons), and we pushed it back to the house. Then it got interesting, just for kicks I decided to try to start it one last time, guess? yea, the damm thing started right up. I got disgusted and went in the house.
    So tonight I'm going to reset the codes, re-read them and report back.
    Last edited by cannonphoder; 06-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.

One small piece of minute' in all this, I promised my son that if he got a job, I would make sure he had a car to drive. The kid got a job in ONE DAY, I'm not kidding. He went out Monday and got the job Tuesday. So dad is a little under the gun now.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yikes! That's scary about the HF fuel gauge. Gerry said the one pictured at this link should work OK. If you saw 50psi, fuel supply is probably not the issue, especially if the misfire occurred while you were reading 50psi.

Were the ATC fuses on top of the Basic Module in the CAN box all good?

Since the cap/rotors/coils/wires/plugs are all recent, it's not likely those are the problem. What plugs, btw? F8DC4 non-resistor, or something else? And were the new coils Bosch/Beru brand?

I'm wondering about the EZL and the two sensors which connect to it... crank sensor, and knock sensor. Live data might be helpful, but only if you could interpret it.

I think I bought all the ignition stuff from either AutohausAZ or RockAuto, I tend to prefer them. I will look at the receipts tonight, I'm sure I kept them.
    yes the coils were both replaced, those were the first things identified as the problem the last time it went to the shop late last year.
    I'm sorry, I didn't get to the fuses yet - will do tonight. Thanks for reminding me
    The plugs were probably something triple platinum - either NGK, bosch or autolite's. I'll check
    "live data" > Ugh, that Carsoft crap purchase that won't even think about working (buries face in hands). I'm a systems analyst with several computers and laptops in the house and no way to access the live data. The irony of it all. LOL

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

1) If the coils are from AHAZ, they should be fine. If from RockAuto, definitely check the brand!!

2) Triple platinum plugs are a no-no. It isn't likely to cause your problem, but they should be replaced with F8DC4's pronto.

3) It's possible that resistor (i.e., triple platinum) plugs could damage the EZL, but it isn't likely. The EZL could be the problem but I doubt it.

4) A systems analyst like yourself would probably enjoy playing with the Chinese SDS clones... this would give you all the live data.

At the moment, I'm stumped. If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently having a very similar problem with our new E420, but not as severe as yours. I have zero codes, and it always starts right up. Fuel pressure checked out good. Live data was not very helpful. I'm still working on it - no solution yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post

At the moment, I'm stumped. If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently having a very similar problem with our new E420, but not as severe as yours. I have zero codes, and it always starts right up. Fuel pressure checked out good. Live data was not very helpful. I'm still working on it - no solution yet.

That make us three. Hope we find out the solution soon.
    Esteban

1971 Seat 600E, 1981 Mercedes 300TD, 1984 Mercedes 300D, 1992 Mercedes 500E, 1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE, 2005 Audi A4 2.5TDI Avant, 2007 Triumph Bonneville

I was hoping you would follow this one Esteban. The two cars problems have similarities.

BTW, I've got the plugs on order
    Last edited by cannonphoder; 06-26-2013 at 03:41 PM.

This is probably NOT your problem, but my car developed similar symptoms when my Cam Position Sensor was slightly unplugged. I did not pull the codes so I cannot comment there, but the running/starting issues were very similar.
    "Digestion kills r/t's!" -- 400Eric
    Click Here to view my mod thread

Best E.T. w/ N2O: 12.794 @ 110.82 - N/A: 13.805 @ 102.94

Hi,
    can you list what brands and part nrs you used as you were replacing all the ignition stuff?
    Quick question: Your engine quits just from one seconds to another while driving?
    Also regarding fuel pressure gauge: You need to have a proper working one that does not leak or fills itself up. Then you need a long line so you can take the gauge into the cabin and monitor pressure while driving. Thats how the shops in germany do it.

Your car wont start because of this btw - i had similar diagnosis on M119 cars that wont start anymore when warm:
    pin 17 - error 18 -- magnets for CKP sensor (L5) not recognized
    Thats the CKP Sensor broken or the one of the magnets fall of the flywheel. CKP sensor replacement is doable in around 30-60 minutes when you have tools with some long extensions (is that the correct term?) and if the CKP thats currrently in has a plastic casing not a metal (plastic ones are early types). The metal "tubed"/"encased" ones tend to corrode with the metal bracket they sit in, which makes a removal a true PITA (dont ask how i know).
    If its the flywheel magnet you will have to pull the gearbox anyway. Ohh and btw, put some millimeters thick cardboard or better gasket-material under the new Crank position sender as recommend in the WIS (Maybe GSXR can post the document?)
    Christian K.
    06/1992 500E - DB199 Blauschwarz-Metallic
    09/1989 300E - DB172 Anthrazitgrau-Metallic
    11/1998 E430 - DB339 Violan-Metallic
    06/2003 CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR - DB197 Obsidianschwarz-Metallic

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I used the remote fuel gauge setup on my car so I could watch the pressure while driving. After 10-15 minutes when the car was fully warmed up, the misfire while accelerating occurred, and my fuel pressure remained stable at 50psi (this time). On my previous E420 (now sold), it was very clear that the fuel pumps were the problem... when power dropped off, the fuel pressure had dropped from ~50psi down to 10-20psi. My current E420 has good fuel pressure and it acts more like a misfire instead of fuel starvation.

Link to the M119 crank sensor TSB... this may help with the EZL code #18:
    http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...sensor_TSB.pdf

This alone should not cause the problem described above.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

BTW - just checked spark plugs on my car. They look nearly white... like it's running leaner than it should. This makes sense, it acts like a lean misfire under load. Hmmm. Might be time to check the MAF readings in kg/hr and see if anything is fishy...

Randy, have you pulled some plugs to inspect them?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Update 1:

I test drove my car a few times today and so far, it's running perfectly. No misfire, no hestitation, nothing. The only things I did were:

1) Remove spark plugs for inspection (all 8 look brand new, Bosch F8DC4)
    2) Measured resistance of the orange Bosch spark plug boots (all were 1800-2000 ohms, in spec)
    3) Removed caps & rotors for inspection, filed edge of rotor clean, wiped caps clean, scraped contacts lightly
    4) Measure resistance of crank sensor (approx 800 ohms, matched my other car)

None of the above should have had ANY effect, as I really didn't do anything except take stuff apart and look at it, scratch my head, and re-install.

I'll drive the car more this weekend and see if it's still behaving itself. Forecast is for 104°F so it better not leave me stranded...!

UPDATE 2: The issue described above was later pinpointed as defective insulators behind the distributor caps. Replacing the insulators cured the problem permanently. This has been discussed at great length in more recent threads on this forum. Click here for one of the epic threads.

Your Update is interesting, I didn't realize that could make a difference. I hope it works out though.
    It's 96F outside tonight, so I don't think I'll be doing anything on the car today.
    regarding Christian's question, it doesn't typically die when missing unless the rpm is 1500 or lower. But last nights mess still has me scratching my head.

You guys asked for part#'s for the Ignition parts I put in. Here they are, it looks like I put them in in late 2011.
    AutohausAZ
    You have ordered the following items:

1 0055422617 Temperature Sender Switch; For Temperature Gauge
    1 0085423217 Coolant Temperature Switch; Black with Round Top and 4 Pin Connector; For CIS and Cooling Fan Control
    1 15058 Oxygen Sensor; Front; OE Version; Four Wire; Heated

2 03367 Bosch Distributor Cap
    2 04271 Distributor Rotor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parts Ordered from www.autopartswarehouse.com
    Ignition Coil AutoTrust Platinum Ignition Coil Price: $ 41.83 Qty: 1.00 Part #: WREPM504611ATP

Ignition Coil AutoTrust Platinum Ignition Coil Price: $ 47.49 Qty: 1.00 Part #: WREPM504620ATP
    NOTE - parts backed by a 5-year unlimited warranty
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoBarn - Your order included the following item(s):

================================================== =
    Item Name: Fram CH6847 Extra Guard Passenger Car Cartridge Oil Filter, Pack of 1
    Options:
    Item Price:$13.46
    Quantity:1
    Item Name: Bosch (7927) FR8DC Super Plus Spark Plug, Pack of 1
    Options:
    Item Price:$1.49
    Quantity:8
    Item Name: Bosch 09366 Premium Spark Plug Wire Set
    Options:
    Item Price:$134.95
    Quantity:1

Shipping: Standard
    Order Date: 8-Mar-2011

Quote Originally Posted by cannonphoder View Post
    I was hoping you would follow this one Esteban. The two cars problems have similarities.

BTW, I've got the plugs on order
    Sure I'm following. Hope we can find a solution together.

I was talking to Jim Forgione (I guess you all know who he is) and I explained him the problem and the parts I've replaced. He suggested a plugged catalytic converter but as mine is almost new, I don't think that's the problem but maybe I/we should check the oxygen sensor. Mine was replaced by previous owner in 2007 but maybe it's failing now.

I had similar problem with my Range Rover. It started failing under acceleration. You had to release the gas and accelerate again to make it run good again and you couldn't floor it because it died. It was blowing a lot of black smoke too. I replaced the oxygen sensors (and the catalytic converters because the rich mix destroyed them) and I solved the problem.

Hope this helps!
    Esteban

1971 Seat 600E, 1981 Mercedes 300TD, 1984 Mercedes 300D, 1992 Mercedes 500E, 1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE, 2005 Audi A4 2.5TDI Avant, 2007 Triumph Bonneville

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

A plugged catalyst is a possibility, although this shouldn't cause a misfire... more likely just a significant power loss, as it chokes off the engine. An exhaust backpressure test would eliminate this possibility. Actually, just removing the O2 sensor (leaving the hole open) should work as a test... if the cats are that plugged, adding a 22mm hole upstream would significantly reduce the backpressure.

Anyway: The "AutoTrust" coils you bought are very, VERY likely to be Chinese/Taiwan aftermarket junk (sorry). The proper Bosch/Beru coils are approx $100/each. Lowest price I know of is via Amazon at approx $180 for both with free shipping. I'm very suspicious of those AutoTrust coils. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to test the coils other than replacing them with different ones, other than the basic test of checking the resistance across the main terminals (4 ohms, IIRC) and from each terminal to the high tension lead (approx 10k ohms, IIRC).

On a side note, the plugs you have (FR8DC) are resistor type, which are not ideal... I'd replace them with the correct non-resistor F8DC4 when possible. AutoHaus carries the F8DC4 plugs.

Good experiences Esteban. I wish mine could have been that, but I just replaced mine with a bosch o2.
    Interesting stuff gsxr, so my "AutoTrust" is most likely "Autocrap". LOL. I'll check the resistance on them when I replace the plugs tomorrow, and keep in mind that they might be the problem.
    I would have never caught that resistor type on the spark plugs, wow man.

I checked the CranKPosition Sensor (CKP) with a digital multimeter (DMM) this morning. Set it to 2k resistance, and the sensor measured .836. I also checked the cam position sensor connectors, one of them is Broken. I'm kind of doubting the Stealer has those connectors, does anybody have experience with finding them?
    Last edited by cannonphoder; 06-27-2013 at 09:11 AM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FYI... there is only one cam position sensor, it's the coaxial plug on the driver's intake cam, on the side of the head.

You were most likely checking the cam advance solenoids, which are the big round metal cans on the front of each head. The plastic connector often breaks, this isn't a big deal. It's about two bucks each for new plastic housings, I always keep a half-dozen in stock as they break all the time. As long as the wires are connected, they're fine.

Your measurement of the CKP resistance matches mine, it's probably ok. Plus you'd have different codes if the CKP wasn't working right.

Ah thanks, yea my cam position sensor's wire is fine then - I checked it. I'll get the cam advance connectors when I've got time.
    Any other wiring or sensors you'd suggest I check? Do you think it could be LH-SFI module running out of "range"?

The car doesn't have ASR, so at least I don't need to worry about that.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If the LH module was exceeding the adaptation limits, there would be a code on pin 19 (DM). So, that isn't likely.

Have you pulled the caps for a visual inspection? If not, add that to your list.

Any update on what codes returned after clearing everything?

Well, I have something new. I re-checked the fuses in the "base module" and 1 of them was blown. I removed the blown one and took a pic. but can't see how to attach it. It's the 3rd one away from the firewall.
    Since fuses don't just up and decide to burn out, I really want to know what is using more than 10 amps/what that one is used for.

UPDATE: I found the diagram of the fuse layout on good ole Jim Forgione's web page.
    http://www.k6jrf.com/MB_BM.html

My F2 fuse burned out:

F2 Fused voltage supply for engines 104, 119 as of 9/92:
    - "CHECK ENGINE" malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), A1e26
    - LH-SFI control module (N3/1)
    - Diagnostic module (N59) on California engines
    - Fuel pump relay module (K27)
    - Ignition control module (N1/3) knock sensor
    - Fuel injectors (Y62)

Now, the next step I'm thinking is clear the codes, put in the new spark plugs, start the car and feel if that LH-SFI module gets hotter than the others.
    Then read codes again and report back.
    Last edited by cannonphoder; 06-27-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Update

Spark plugs in, caps cleaned, rotor smoothed - cap was surprisingly coated with a 1/32th of buildup (fingernail thick) on each terminal, rotor was carbon'd and pitted. After just 2 years...
    Replaced the F2 fuse and .... started it up. I would have gotten the codes, but it was 2 am. so I'll do that tonight.
    Good news though, I was able to drive it for 10 min without any major hiccups. More to come later.

UPDATE: I've cleared the codes, and we've driven it a day or two to let it hiccup if it's going to. It runs OK, not great, but OK still. Going to check codes tonight.
    Last edited by cannonphoder; 07-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Was there any solution to this problem? I have pretty much exactly the same issue, bogs down when the engine is warm, lifting throttle OFF restores some power, very rough idle when warm etc. etc. Runs beautifully when cold. No codes, new harnesses, new MAF. Got a backfire for the first time ever a couple days ago in hot weather stop-and-go traffic

Seems like many people with the same problem, but no solution found?

Brand new member here...
    '95 E420

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Sounds like the classic problem with defective insulators behind the distributor caps. This has been discussed at great length in more recent threads on this forum. Click here for one of the epic threads.

BTW, welcome aboard!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

doolar (08-06-2017), Klink (08-06-2017), maw1124 (08-06-2017)

Thanks much! This will be investigated. I'm not wrenching much myself so it'll have to wait for my mechanic.

Just went through this myself and dropped in a new set of insulators last week on my 95 E420. Went bonkers after it got got and if you shut her down hot would not restart until it cooled a couple times. Pulled it all down replaced the caps/rotors and dried the insulators 1st time and got another year or so out of it but with the monsoon conditions here this year started having issues again over the last couple months. After replacing the insulators and then drying the cap so far so good!
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

You would be surprise how many times this insulator issue happens in arid climates as well as humid climates.
    I just saw a insulator here in California that was probably the worst I have seen.[
    The back of it had green fluid on the back. it was good around and was very liquid-like.
    Most I have seen in the past had more of a gel or dried syrup consistency.
    I started to think that this wetness might be due to radiator fluid that somehow migrates behind the insulators.
    But nah, that couldn't be.....

Quote Originally Posted by aes View Post
    Was there any solution to this problem? I have pretty much exactly the same issue, bogs down when the engine is warm, lifting throttle OFF restores some power, very rough idle when warm etc. etc. ...
    UPDATE: Guys, GSXR's insulator diagnosis is what ended up being most of my issue. Though later I also upgraded the module to a 1992 one and that fixed it completely. Also added about 15 HP. The car started developing other expensive issues though and I sold it. Now I'm driving a 2003 ML500 Cheers