Thread: Upgraded 19mm Rear Sway Installation Tips - Pictorial

Upgraded 19mm Rear Sway Installation Tips - Pictorial

Finally finished installing the larger 19mm rear sway bar on my car. It was fiddly and required a few steps that I wanted to pass along.

Firstly the new 19mm bar has to be connected to the car's SLS, which required a flat spot be ground into it to connect the SLS ram / arm.

Here is what the stock set-up looks like:

Additionally the (2) two 10mm bolts that holds the SLS distribution block to the aluminum bracket has to be removed, this will give enough "slack" in the hard lines to move the SLS distribution block out of the way to facilitate the removal of the old rear sway bar and install the new larger rear bar.

Stock 15mm sway bar versus the new 19mm bar:

Flat spot ground into the new bar to connect the SLS ram / arm, I smoothed it out and painted after this picture was taken.

I decided to "upgrade" to W116 OEM Lemforder end links ($58 for the pair) rather than use the flimsy and brittle stock W126 plastic units. To do this will require that you carefully trim 2-3 threads off the W116 end link where it threads into the wheel hub otherwise it will be hit the brake rotor backing plate, I did the trimming using a fine metal cutting wheel on my Dremel -an- alternative is the use of washers of the same thickness if you did not want to trim the threads.

The trickiest part of the installation for me was the stock U bolt that fits around the smaller OEM 15mm rear sway bar and connects to the SLS Ram / arm is too small to fit around the larger 19mm bar. I searched for ages online to find a dimensionally "correct" U-bolt including possibly buying a piece of all-thread and heating it then shaping it to fit but to no avail, this U-Bolt is very specific in dimension as it has to perfectly fit the SLS bracket and there is no much room to modify this bracket. After some (quite a bit) of head scratching, I ran the stock U bolt up to my friends at PowerFab and they cut the stock threads off and added new longer threaded legs (1/2" longer).

The least favorable option is to keep grinding the new 19mm bar so that the stock U bolt fits but then you will have a bar that is 19mm on either side and is cut down to 16mm or so in the middle and negates the whole point of having a larger sway bar.

After modifying with the welded new longer threaded legs:

Then painted to prevent rusting:

New larger sway bar brackets (versus the smaller OEM units) and new polyurethane bushings:

The new sway bar brackets are so much larger there is very little room to fit and slide them, even though there are slotted. The solution was using my Dremel once again and trim the washers and give them a flat edge so that everything would fit, it is a very snug fit and the 13mm sway bar bracket bolts can only be tightened with an open ended wrench, there is no room on the bolt head to use a socket.

Modified U bolt and SLS connected:

Keep the angle grinder handy as you to cut down your 17mm open ended wrench to tighten the W116 end links on the hub, this the only way to tighten it down:

Good luck!
    Yasin
    Last edited by slownrusty; 08-04-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Upgraded 19mm Rear Sway Installation Tips - Pictorial

Grinding into the bar weakens the integrity of the bar. Is it not better to just get correct hardware that accommodates the increased diameter of the bar without having to weaken iti?

IMHO this is a design flaw from the bar's creators. Not the fault of those buying and installing them. BenzWorld engineering...

Also there are other metal end links available through Summit or Jegs of good quality that are much cheaper than the Lemforder W116 metal units.

Cheers
    Gerry

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Re: Upgraded 19mm Rear Sway Installation Tips - Pictorial

yea, I wasn't terribly pleased RE the lack of notch for the SLS...We did a work around, but it's a PITA..

I will say this though, the cars handling improves dramatically! the last one we did we also used non SLS springs in an SLS car (had to cut 1/3 of a coil to get it to sit Right)..Oh, and OZ 3 piecers + AMG valved front bilsteins.

Handling is DRAMATICALLY improved!! most impressed

jono
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

Jono - I agree on the dramatic improvement on the cars handling. I drove it 40miles yesterday and it is certainly much flatter and more composed.

good write up. I was trying to dodge those issues on my rear bars. I did find a source of sway bar bushing that are a direct bolt in. Should have a solution for the SLS, that doesn't require grinding the bar to make it work.

If you want to go a little larger, I have 28mm front and 23mm rear bars on the way. These both come with new poly bushings.

Now if I can just get my chief mechanic to tell me if the stock polly bushing fit, we can put those up for sale. right Jono

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

you are correct sir!
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V