Thread: How to add a good Alpine 6 CD changer to your Becker 1432 without rewiring ANYTHING

How to add a good Alpine 6 CD changer to your Becker 1432 without rewiring ANYTHING

All,
    This one took me a long, long time to research, so I figured I'd try to help folks out by writing out my story.

What I started with -----------

I have a 1992 500e. That means it came with a "multi piece" system called the Becker 1432. It is easy to google for pictures of that deck, but this is the system used in all 1992 and 1993 (pre-facelift) Mercedes e-class 500e's. In 1994 they swapped to the Becker 1492 unit, which was much better. If you have a 1492, stop reading this post, because there are tons of options for you.

However, if you, like me, have a Becker 1432, you know a few things...
    1.) It usually sounds like hell.
    2.) If it has a CD changer, it has a Becker 980. This is a 10CD setup, and is a nightmare. Mine worked when I got the car, but never very well. After a while, it decided to stop working. I went so far as to take it apart and figure it out (turns out that the culprit is a bad plastic gear design, which makes all sorts of problems, and isn't really fixable.

Anyway, most people (including Becker) will tell you some variation of the following:

"Who uses CD anyways?"
    "I like to listen to the engine!"
    "I use a FM modulator for either an iPod or a changer"
    "Trash all that Mercedes junk, and put in some rad ICE!"
    "Skip the changer, and send the head unit in to Becker and they'll install a AUX input, and then just hook your ipod up, and you are set!"

Well, I didn't really like any of those answers much. But I had bad FM reception, and was running out of working cassettes from the 80's.

So first, I decided to send my head unit in to Becker for servicing, and adding an AUX.

How to Send in your Head Unit to Becker-----

Firstly, go to this website:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/1432-...x_300CE_E.html

That's the Becker site. And yes, it looks like the type of site that you have your 9 year old son design the first time he has seen HTML. Terrible.

But I digress.

Basically, you take the headunit out of the car, and in my case, I took the FM tuner out of the trunk as well.

You box them up, and send them to Becker (no need to call in advance... which is weird), and include a note in the box that says what you want done, and a phone number and address for you.

They will call you with an estimate, and then after a while, call you back and tell you it is done, and extract payment from you.

In my case (I had the Headunit serviced, an AUX input added, and had the FM tuner rebuilt) it was a little less than 400 bucks.

Fair enough. The folks at Becker were really nice, by the way, when I talked to them on the phone.

That worked really well for me. I enjoy my iPhone tunes in the car, and it works very well. I wired the whole thing into my center rolltop, and it works great.

But still... the CD player.... Grrrr...

What DOES NOT work for the CD player (Becker 980)---------

In my quest to get that thing working, I tried a few things:

1.) Buy more of them...

I bought two other Becker 980 units on eBay. One of them was advertised as working, but was jacked up (there were broken gear parts in the box) when it arrived... (I got a refund, and the guys was cool, btw). The other I bought as a spare, thinking I could make one good one out of two... A few hours messing with it, and I determined that without access to new (not brittle) white plastic gears there was no way I was fixing it...

2.) I called Becker. They said that they USED to fix those things, but the guy said they basically refuse to fix them now. He said that the 980 was a total POS even when new, and it skipped so much when new, they couldn't run them in the SL cars (more on this later!). He said they used to rebuild them, but they only did it in the winter when they were bored, and they charged a ton for it, because it was a terrible job, and about half the time, they broke again shipping things back to the customer.... Grrrrr..

3.) I did a bunch of reading, thinking there might have been a later version of the 980...

I found this:

http://www.mercedeslist.com/2630.html

I thought HA! The Becker 2630! That will work! So I waited, and found one (new in the box) on eBay. It does indeed have the same 10 disc cassette, but it does NOT work in our cars. At all.... It is a completely different setup, and there is no way it will work...

Sigh... So eliminate that stuff.

What works, and what you need--------------

In reading, and looking through wiring diagrams, I noticed that the R129 chassis seemed to have some other type of CD changer, and in order to make it work, they ran a thing called an MX3192.

It is basically a little box that has a few inputs, and some weird wiring sticking out of it...

Looks like this (In this picture it is sitting on top of the CD changer):

So you need to find one of those.

And then you need to find an Alpine CHM-S620. This was a LOT easier to find, and they are all over eBay. I bought one new in box (or maybe used in box, but it had all the parts... so here are some pictures with bar codes to help)

Note that it just has ONE input and output... See the cable sticking out below:

So basically, to get this to work, you unplug the Becker 980, and insert the connections as follows (It is hard to describe in words, so I diagrammed some pictures):

See next post, as this one is getting loooong
    Last edited by Dbreid; 09-21-2013 at 05:56 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dbreid For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (11-26-2016)

Re: How to add a good Alpine 6 CD changer to your Becker 1432 without rewiring ANYTHING

So with it wired as above, it works PERFECTLY!

When you power up the system, it will check all the CD's and the displays work properly in the Dash.
    You can change between CD's with the Becker 1432 correctly, and track forward and back between tracks (it is actually really fast, as well!)
    The sound is great!

Now, I needed to hang all that stuff up under the rear deck lid, and I didn't want to drill new holes. So I used the 4 factory mounting bracket bolts for the 980, and made an "adapter" plate out of ABS plastic. I made it from plastic, because I wanted a little flex when installing it, so it wrapped around the rear deck well, and "pressed" against it to keep vibrations to a minimum.

I used Velcro as a further damper.

See my install below:

And here it is installed:

Hope this helps folks!!!

-Dan

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dbreid For This Useful Post:

DarkStar (07-22-2015), mottati (04-28-2016), Rouven036 (01-27-2017)

Re: How to add a good Alpine 6 CD changer to your Becker 1432 without rewiring ANYTHING

One more thing... In the last picture above, I left out the inner trunk carpet liner, so you can see the Factory Becker 1432 Amp and FM tuner locations as they relate to the CD changer.

Hi,
    I have had the Becker 1492 and the Alpine CHM-S620 in my 1994 car for about ten years now.
    Both work very well together and the Apline is very stable even on rough roads.
    Good choice
    Alex

Hello all! new to the forum.

I have a 560SEL (1991) and am wondering if this information applies to that model also. There's a guy selling a becker 2630 cd changer with harness, and he says it came out of a 560sel. Is that possible?

thanks to all

I suppose anything is possible. If you want a brand new in the box 2630 lemme know, as I am not using the one I have and if you think it might work, I'll sell it.

I just wanted to say thank you to Dbreid for this very useful thread. I decided to try this out and purchased a MX3192 on Ebay. The amplifier/ converter came mounted on a Mercedes CD changer MC3191. While waiting for an also Ebay purchased NOS Alpine CHM-S620 I decided to mount the MX3192/MC3191 combo in my -92 500E. Removed the non working Becker 980 and installed the "new" unit. Installation was very easy, even the power connector matched. Story short; it worked! And the sound from the original untouched sound system was very good, at least to my (aging) ears ..

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ingvar For This Useful Post:

600Eric (07-19-2015), DarkStar (07-22-2015), gsxr (07-19-2015)

Thanks for this super useful post. Now I will try to find a Mx3192 / q6820135 / 002 820 3289.

I do note on ebay that the MC3191 changers for sale are stripped of the MX3192! Argh.

Last edited by Jlaa; 11-26-2016 at 09:06 AM.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

I was able to accomplish the same thing, except instead of using an Alpine MBUS CD Changer, I used an Alpine MBUS emulator.
    The net effect is --- I got bluetooth on the Becker 1432 with exceptional sound quality without rewiring anything!

I bought this emulator:

YATOUR USB SD AUX iPod/iPhone Car Music interface for Alpine M-Bus plug
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121375203352

Yatour Bluetooth Adapter For Yatour M05 M06 M07 Items /Hands Free Calling
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252648604774

This emulates an Alpine MBUS Changer. The benefit then is that this device provides Bluetooth, SD card, 1/8 aux in, and iPod input --- all into "CD Changer" input of the Becker 1432 --- for the cleanest sound. However, I am only using the emulator for the Bluetooth functions. I tested the other functions and they work well, but I am not using those function and will hide this emulator in the rear trunk behind the molded carpet, next to the Becker receiver.

Proof of working --- https://youtu.be/fxe6mRqTJS0

Instructions Below -

Attached Images Attached Images
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

Glen (01-26-2017), gsxr (01-26-2017), hkollan (01-26-2017), makemann (01-27-2017), maw1124 (01-26-2017), Rouven036 (01-27-2017), SayHey (01-27-2017)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

This is great news. It looks like they have a version for the Becker/Porsche HU's too. I have a CDR-210 in my silver car and with this I can add a BT interface.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (01-27-2017)

Indeed, I have used a yatour with both a c(d)r-210 and 220 for several years with good results. For the w124 with the BE1432, though, the yatour does not work natively. If you want to keep the orig head unit to preserve the look, then you must get the mx3192 translator to use a yatour. That was hard to find .... I bought one at a real live non-ebay auction for $20. Actually I had to buy a lot of two, but one of them was broken and didnt work.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

Excellent info,thx! Unfortunately skipped my original sound system with all wiring and components to a newer becker aps30 and 6 channel amplifier years ago. But will install this on the sl with the 1430 setup. Also have a mx3192 already.
    W123, W124, R129, W163, W201, R230

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rouven036 For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (01-27-2017)

Jlaa, do you disconnect the CD player completely from the tuner?

To clarify, you use Bluetooth just to stream music, and not to place hands free calls?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Max

Hi M - my car did not come with a CD changer, so yes, one would disconnect the existing CD changer. The yatour comes with a mic that you can wire into the interior in the car so that you can make bluetooth calls, but I decided not to hook it up right now because -

1) In order to hear anything from a bluetooth call one would have to turn the stereo on
    2) I may eventually hook up the mic but I dont like the aftermarket look of the supplied mic. I may eventually try to wire in the mic for the existing non-functional analog cell phone into the yatour ... thus keeping everything discreet. I think the connection to the analog phone control panel, which is next to the dome light, is RJ11 or RJ45 based so it would just be a matter of finding out the pinouts to the control panel (where the orig mic is mounted).
    Last edited by Jlaa; 02-21-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

How to add a good Alpine 6 CD changer to your Becker 1432 without rewiring ANYTHING

Thanks J! Using the existing mic idea is brilliant! Unfortunately, way beyond my abilities. Once I get the interior finished on my other project, I'll tackle this.
    Last edited by makemann; 02-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Max

22. The Following User Says Thank You to makemann For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (02-21-2017)

Reviving this old but extremely useful thread. I recently purchased the nice combo of MX3192 and MC3196NA CD changer with all the peripherals - mounting bracket, harnesses, grey case etc. I hooked everything up just to try how it work - no joy! My Becker Mexico BE1460 (Euro version with RDS) doesn't see the CD... Not at all. I checked the wiring and power 10x times - it is 100% correct. Changer as such works - I can remove the CD magazine but it is not visible for the radio.Question - will MC3196NA work with my Becker? Does the radio unit need some kind of set up/activation to see the changer? I don't believe it, it's just simple old fashion ICE stuff but I prefer to ask first.
    I think there are 2 options here:
    1. CD or interface MX3192 is faulty (seller guaranteed it working)
    2. MC3196NA does not work with BE1460 and I need to purchase Alpine CD.
    Looking for some advice here...

Hmmmmm ..... if you go back to the simplest configuration, does the Becker 1460 head unit recognize the original 980 CD changer? Even if the transport mechanism is broken (they all are) --- does it recognize the 980?

If yes, then start adding complexity with the MX3192, Alpine Changer, etc ?
    Also I read somewhere on the web that the MX3192 has a fuse inside and someone mentioned that the fuse occasionally blows. I haven't needed to open mine up ---- maybe try that?
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

darek_u (08-06-2017)

I don't have the BE980 to compare - that's why I decided to purchase MX3192. Becker changers are hard to come by and not very reliable... I opened the interface but I can't see the fuse. On the other hand it is pretty packed inside, all I can see is printed board with SMD components. I may go little deeper if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by darek_u View Post
    Reviving this old but extremely useful thread. I recently purchased the nice combo of MX3192 and MC3196NA CD changer with all the peripherals - mounting bracket, harnesses, grey case etc. I hooked everything up just to try how it work - no joy! My Becker Mexico BE1460 (Euro version with RDS) doesn't see the CD... Not at all. I checked the wiring and power 10x times - it is 100% correct. .
    Dumb question ---- did you try unplugging the battery to the car, unplugging all the cables, and replugging in all the cables, and see if that works?
    I know it seems obvious but I upon further reflection, when I used the MX3192 with the yatour that I had some finicky stuff where the BE1432 wouldn't recognize anything unless I unplugged the battery and "finagled" all the cables. I must have unplugged the car battery about 10x that day.

Recall that the radio still is powered by the car even if the ignition is shut off --- power is disconnected only if the battery is unplugged.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

darek_u (08-07-2017)

I didn't disconnect the battery however the power to the amplifier/tuner part in the trunk was unplugged several times. I'll try tomorrow this trick.

I tried with battery disconnected - set up everything when battery is off and then reconnect - nothing... Becker doesn't see the CD changer. Bad MX3192 or non-compatible CD changer?

I am sorry, I dont know how to troubleshoot this other than to try swapping individual components at a time ..... and part of the reason is bc I do not know if the BE1460 is capable of using a BE980 to begin with..... which is what the mx3192 is designed to build upon w additional functionality (let HUs which are used to driving Sony-sourced BE980s also drive Alpine-sourced changers).

Perhaps you you could contact Becker and ask ....

or Perhaps you could source a broken BE980 (for free?) and see if the BE1460 recognizes the electronics (knowing that the mechanical portion would be broken) .... if the bus communicates, then you can guess that the MX3192/alpine combo should work in theory...

And then the next cheapest thing to do might be to source a cheap used Alpine changer ... and if that doesnt work then probably the mx3192 is broken .... the mx3192 being the most expensive and least available part of the whole equation....
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

darek_u (08-16-2017)

I've been away for business trip with limited time for reply - sorry. BE1460 is definitely capable of using CD changer. Model 980 is straight plug and play without any interface. For other non-fiber changers MX3192 is required. I did some digging and MC3196NA is non-fiber data transfer CD changer for 1996 - 1999 MB cars. It should work with older radios via interface but it looks like it may not... Pity because the one I have is literally new like looking super clean unit... Anyway, the plan is to check thoroughly MX3192 and then probably buy Alpine CD changer. These are cheap and easy to find, I just hate the fact that I'll have the nice piece of equipment that will collect the dust on the shelf... Oh well, such is life.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to darek_u For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (08-16-2017)