Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OWNER - doolar

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: OWNER - doolar

Thomas, where will you obtain the residual heat wiring harness? I've been trying to obtain one (for automatic climate control) but it's been NLA for years.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Thomas, where will you obtain the residual heat wiring harness? I've been trying to obtain one (for automatic climate control) but it's been NLA for years.

I will get it used, it´s a really rare option here in Europe (as in the US I presume?), but I´ve got my sources. What I haven´t found though is that the option was available for the V8 cars, but as far as I can tell it should be no problem to fit. Do you know otherwise Dave?

If you want to I can try and scour a harness for you?
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thomas, the REST system was never offered in the USA for the 124 chassis, so we can't find them used over here. It does appear the system was never offered on the V8 cars, but I can't find any reason why it can't be retrofitted. If you can find harness p/n 124-440-36-09 complete and intact, I would definitely be interested in buying one from you!! I was able to buy the control module and switch, I just need the harness...

Thomas, the REST system was never offered in the USA for the 124 chassis, so we can't find them used over here. It does appear the system was never offered on the V8 cars, but I can't find any reason why it can't be retrofitted. If you can find harness p/n 124-440-36-09 complete and intact, I would definitely be interested in buying one from you!! I was able to buy the control module and switch, I just need the harness...

Thanks for the info! I've noted the harness p/n in my request list and will inquire with my sources. Poland is a great country to find these items in btw.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-23-2015)

Got my paws on the soundsystem door panels:

Quite ok condition, some of the pleather is coming off of the panel, but not to bad. These are probably off a smoker's car, but I've cleaned everything today and are giving it a good ozone treatment.
    I'll get new speaker grilles, these ones are a bit too yellow and the foam is letting go.

The speakers seem to be in ok condition.

Not every day I find stuff made of unobtainium and in just a few days to boot:

Spray cans ordered for the painting of this little bugger!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Time to do some more work, vacation is here. Started off with replacing the fuel filter.

Then I went on to the trailer hitch. I discovered when reading the English WIS instruction on fitting the hitch that the four bolts for the main hitch bar should never be reused, just like the bolts for the brake calipers. So ordered four new ones from Mercedes:

This of course meant that the rear bumper had to come off again, but it was scheduled to anyway to fit the covering.

The covering I bought is in the wrong color, so I ordered a spray paint kit from Mercedes, serious MB as always with paint plus clear coat:

So first thing to do is to align the frame for the covering, fortunately Mercedes have made holes that the frame slots into:

So slot the bugger in, and mark with a pen, then bring out the saw! (Yikes)

First cut (is the deepest) with a air pressure cutter, then I finish the rest with sanding paper, file and patience:

The covering fits perfect! In one of the corners you can spot my earlier mistake which I’ll get to shortly:

Sanding and grinding done:

This is the remains of the cut out I did earlier to be able to open the lid for the contact piece. Unfortunately I cut a bit to far and that bit back immediately. That’s the exact spot where the frame is to be riveted.

I applied an easy and not so visually perfect fix , but it’s strong and I’m not entering any rear bumper concours competitions, to win atleast. I'm epoxying a piece of sheet metal behind, and reusing a piece of plastic from the bit I cut out before.

Not my finest hour, but it’ll do. Going to drill and run a rivet right through it anyway, plus there’s a covering over it. You’ll have to be one helluva contortionist to find that one.

Painting the frame, quick and dirty, only the ears will show. When the hitch is attached…

While the paint is curing, I’m drilling:

Frame’s mounted, sorry for the shaky pic:

That was today’s work! Kinda happy with myself to be honest. Tomorrow I’ll paint the covering, I’m gonna try to get a really good finish on that since it will be on all the time.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-29-2015)

Nice work! Looks pretty stout!

Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    Nice work! Looks pretty stout!

I'm compensating of course! Looook at my metal fallos!!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

bing (06-30-2015), gsxr (06-29-2015)

Three coats of paint, before the clear coats:

Final result fitted to the bumper:

Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

ClassicCarsAllDay (08-05-2015), gsxr (07-02-2015)

The door speakers cleaned and re-assembled, some cracks in the plastic, but they'll be ok to fit with some reinforcements:

Door cards cleaned and they've been in our ozone chamber for almost a week, so the cigarette smoke odor is gone. They will need some glueing, but not too bad fortunately:

Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-02-2015)

Two switches arrived today, a REST switch that looks like new, but I know that it's been fitted. p/n 124 820 11 10. And also a common staple-button, the lock-switch, but this one is NOS. Got em dirt cheap from a fellow forum member in one of the Swedish board, very kind of him! The button for the residual heat is as far as I can see NLA, so really happy to get my filthy kittenmittens on one, and in a perfect condition to boot.

Now I "only" need the harness and the relay for the residual heat, (not forgetting you Dave ) but it will turn up. The only thing I haven't found or missed in the last second is the Fondseitenrollo, the original rear door roller blinds. But one of these days, one of these days yous wills bes mines!!!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thomas, the REST switch was superceded to a newer version, p/n 202-820-28-10. I bought one of the newer style in Nov-2012, but I'm not sure if it's still available. Yours would be "period correct" though, which is a bonus!!

Well, so far I found the harness, NOS with p/n 124-440-35-09 which is NLA at Mercedes dealers. This was scoured from a vendor in Germany, http://www.teile-profis.de/. Wasn't really confident in that they would have the harness, and was expecting an email saying "Enschuldigung..." But today the package arrived.

Sorry to say Dave, they did not have the one you need
    p/n 124-440-36-09. I don't know what really differs between them, perhaps you can modify the harness for the dual klima? The same vendor also had the control module for a decent price, that one is not NLA though.

I will keep a look-out still Dave!

Also I started a proper cleaning of my floor mats. I have two sets both front and rear, but one set is a bit more worn than the other. Got some really nasty stains on one of them (you know how the ladies go Mardi Gras bananananas in a W124) so something had to be done. Here's a couple of befores, I'll post the result tomorrow after they've dried in my little ozone chamber of unsmelliness heaven:

Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-04-2015)

I am missing this auxiliary fuse holder, been searching for it awhile online but can't find the part number for it. Anyone know here on the boards?

Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yes, it's a 201 part number. I have about 6 of them laying around my shop. They tend to melt on occasion, so it's a good idea to have one on hand.

201 540 03 50 is the fuse holder portion. The plastic lid is 123 545 04 46.

On the E500E, these fuse holders are typically used for the telephone and/or seat heaters.

Careful, it's an extremely difficult item to configure and install correctly, much like the engine air intake tubes.

Cheers,
    Gerry

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

doolar (08-05-2015), Klink (08-05-2015)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by doolar View Post
    Well, so far I found the harness, NOS with p/n 124-440-35-09 which is NLA at Mercedes dealers. This was scoured from a vendor in Germany, http://www.teile-profis.de/. Wasn't really confident in that they would have the harness, and was expecting an email saying "Enschuldigung..." But today the package arrived.

Sorry to say Dave, they did not have the one you needp/n 124-440-36-09. I don't know what really differs between them, perhaps you can modify the harness for the dual klima? The same vendor also had the control module for a decent price, that one is not NLA though.

I will keep a look-out still Dave!
    Thanks for checking, Thomas! I'm glad you were able to find the -35-09 harness. Could you post some photos of the harness when you have a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Yes, it's a 201 part number. I have about 6 of them laying around my shop. They tend to melt on occasion, so it's a good idea to have one on hand.

201 540 03 50 is the fuse holder portion. The plastic lid is 123 545 04 46.

On the E500E, these fuse holders are typically used for the telephone and/or seat heaters.

Careful, it's an extremely difficult item to configure and install correctly, much like the engine air intake tubes.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    Got a "How To"?
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Got a "How To"?
    Not possible. It's one German engineer who has continuous training in Stuttgart, she (yes it's a woman) travels around the world performing the two jobs of configuring and installing engine air intake tubes for the M119, and installs auxiliary fuse holders in W124. It sucks, I know, but computer says no.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Thanks for checking, Thomas! I'm glad you were able to find the -35-09 harness. Could you post some photos of the harness when you have a chance?

Here you go!

MFG date, not yesterday...

Entire harness:

From left to right;

Fuse box connections:

Somewhere behind the dash, left side:

Button and one more, I don't remember where it goes:

And finally the Steuergerät (control module):

I have this link to share from w124-freunde http://www.w124-freunde.com/index.ph...682&highlight= it's in German but very nicely written. One thing to note is that the control module goes in the right plastic cover in the passenger footwell on facelift (month 8? of '93) instead of behind the footrest.

I will of course document and write a simple how-to on this!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-05-2015)

Carpets out of the drying chamber:

And now I've torn the car apart to start fitting some extra stuff. Began with the first gear module;

Locate the ABS signal cable, it's easy enough to find, but as an extra measure, I unplugged it and started the engine. ABS-light on, so it was the right one (most likely):

Time to break out the good ol' soldering iron (no not the Swedish wrench acting as my soldering stand...) and solder on the BNC's, or British Naval Connectors if you wanna be like that. But that's what the abbreviation stands for, and that's why I dislike seeing "BNC-connectors" as much as I dislike hearing someone order "Salsa-sauce".

Junction done:

The "B" switch connector:

Tight, but it'll do just fine:

Next up the S/E-switch. When in S, I get first gear start, when in E, I don't.

Just one cable to solder, this is actually the wrong one, so I had to switch it. The colors where spot on in the instructions on all but this switch, but I blame that on the fact that you guys (and the manufacturers of this FGS) don't have the S/E-switch.

And we are on and in working order:

Then programming (or rather some settings...) The software won't install under Win7, even in compatibility mode, so I had to find an old XP laptop. But with that everything worked:

Settings done, basically wheel size and at what speed you want the tranny to go down on you, NO NO not that, to shift down a gear, wait dammit!! You know what I mean. No, not that you perv!!!

And finally for today, this will probably be the placement of the unit itself:

This is how my interior looks like now:

Oh oh I almost forgot, I put a screw in the cup holder, didn't like it not being stable in the bottom bit (dang sexual reference again):

Over and out!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

600Eric (08-05-2015), bing (08-07-2015), gsxr (08-05-2015), JC220 (01-28-2017), lowman (06-29-2016), sheward (08-05-2015)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Here you go! I have this link to share from w124-freunde http://www.w124-freunde.com/index.ph...682&highlight= it's in German but very nicely written. One thing to note is that the control module goes in the right plastic cover in the passenger footwell on facelift (month 8? of '93) instead of behind the footrest.

I will of course document and write a simple how-to on this!
    Fantastic info & photos - thanks again, Thomas!!

Fantastic info & photos - thanks again, Thomas!!

Let me know if you want detailed photos and a schematic of the harness. Should be easy enough to duplicate, all the connectors are available from the dealer.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-07-2015)

This is where the FGS control module will go:

I decided to de-badge today, I'm gonna try a cleaner more sleeper look, so both the trunk emblem and the Sportline-badges where stripped from the car:

Love it! Much nicer. I will also swap out my Sportline gear lever to the original black leather one.

However this is tempting:

More to come!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

bing (08-08-2015), Glen (08-07-2015), gsxr (08-07-2015), johan h (07-06-2016)

Yesterday I continued with some cable connections. The rest-heater is now ready for testing bar the auxiliary fuse holder which probably arrives at the dealer today, I will come back to you on that. I will make a how-to on this.

I moved the control light for the trailer coupling to the instrument cluster, I realized that there's two free spots there which have green color. Much more integrated, and I've replaced the light panel I drilled with a new one. Now it is to the right after the airbag warning light:

And I have a full row of buttons now. What remains to be done is the cables for the central locking switch:

I'm adding a small four channel amp for my Mac Audio speakers in the instrument panel and parcel shelf. I opted for a Pioneer GM-D1004. Very small and easy to connect with enough power to make the sound of the small speakers more stable. It will be fitted under the metal sheet in the front passenger footwell:

Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-12-2015), JC220 (08-16-2017)

And I have a full row of buttons now.
    Very cool. Competing with GSXR there on the number of buttons and switches that can be retro-fitted. Button envy!
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

38. The Following User Says Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

sheward (08-12-2015)

I have an issue with the residual heat harness. I'm supposed to find the feeder cable to the duo valve and circulation pump there, but I only find four red/pink cables there. I need to find the cable that feeds the duo valve and circ. pump. I can follow the cable a bit and it enters the cabin via the firewall by the computer boxes. Desperately trying to find a schematic that is correct for the E420. Anybody got a clue?
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Spring time! MOT next week probably:

Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-26-2016), nocfn (03-26-2016), TerryA (03-26-2016)

Ok, time to do some work on the car. This is my plan for the coming weeks:

• Remove inlet manifold - I have a leak somewhere around it, will post pics. I will use the guide in this post: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9515
    • Re-seal the cam magnets
    • Change the oiler tubes. I will probably cause some stir using plastic tubes! Why? Well because I'm saving weight of course! Well, no, that's not the reason. The reason is that when my dad bought his .036 years ago, one of the things he read was that the tubes crack and break. But he didn't know that there are metal tubes available used, or at all. So he ordered new ones from the dealer. When I had a look through the oil filler cap, I saw that his car's already fitted with the metal ones. So the new plastic tubes are now obsolete. I'm gonna use 'em and, well, they will probably last many years. They're brand new OEM's with new green gaskets.

Anything else I should do when in there? Pics and updates will follow as I proceed!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Did some work today!

Airbox, covers off:

Oily:

These plastic covers are just disintegrating with the lightest of touch. I'm thinking of replacing them, but with what?

That was it for today!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (11-27-2016), lowman (07-02-2016)

I have about 15m of that high temp wire loom cover and replace as I go.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    I have about 15m of that high temp wire loom cover and replace as I go.
    MB original cover or did you source it somewhere else?
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Regarding EGR - should I remove it or keep it? It won't affect CEL since I don't have the DM. Also, I'm thinking about removing the magnet clutch for the air pump, it doesn't sound to good, and it does no good either. I'm too cheap to get the delete bracketry.

Also thinking about painting my valve covers. They're not too good looking, and also I dont think they are painted from factory, as the covers are on my dad's .036. Anyway - is powder coating preferred? I'm thinking about just spray canning it to be honest. I usually get really good results with that, but I've never painted a valve cover. Of course I need a paint that can stand the heat.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

48. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

nocfn (06-30-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I use aftermarket corrugated split-loom, it's available in various sizes.

Looks like 001-546-94-30 in the EPC for 13.2mm diameter factory stuff, but it's NLA.

000-546-96-30 should be smaller diameter corrugated tube, and may still be available.

I don't think the OE MB tube is split, so it would be more difficult to install. If the plastic pipes shown in your last picture are brittle, now's the time to change all of 'em!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

50. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (06-30-2016)

Did some work today!

These plastic covers are just disintegrating with the lightest of touch. I'm thinking of replacing them, but with what?

That was it for today!
    Thomas,

It is several types of high temp wire looms available, but you should buy from product specific suppliers. The heat resistant nylon looms are marked with a grey striping. I did a random search; http://www.wiringproducts.com/high-t...ated-wire-loom but I guess these looms can be found in Sweden as well.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Thank you all! Yes I would like the split version, otherwise it will be a pure PITA-fest. Now I know what to look for atleast.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

MB original cover or did you source it somewhere else?
    I got it from Amazon,!its like 500F rated grey stripe split loom. IMO any heat safe looks better than ps fluid caked or plain missing tubes.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

54. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

doolar (07-01-2016)

Harness, MAF, fuel rail and injectors removed.

Here's a better picture of the leak from the inlet manifold gasket:

Lots of dirt to take care of:

This is the progress so far:
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-02-2016), lowman (07-02-2016)

Sure is tight in there!!
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

nice work right there
    Looking forward to more pics of this work.thinkin of doing the same to my car,want to freshen up the whole inlet manifold ..but its more of a OFF season work

Quote Originally Posted by lowman View Post
    nice work right there
    Looking forward to more pics of this work.thinkin of doing the same to my car,want to freshen up the whole inlet manifold ..but its more of a OFF season work
    I have to do it now, the car won't pass the emissions as it is now.

I'll continue with some pics and info on it!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

60. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

lowman (07-03-2016)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

I have to do it now, the car won't pass the emissions as it is now.

I'll continue with some pics and info on it!

yeah i can see that..is the car to rich on the mixture now with these faults?or?

bring the pics

yeah i can see that..is the car to rich on the mixture now with these faults?or?

bring the pics
    Yea it runs rich, I don't know for sure that this is causing the problem, but it needs to be fixed anyway. I can't really continue swapping part as long as this job is not completed. I'll continue in the garage tomorrow, more to follow then!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

A little bit more done today, as I may have said before, this will be a slow progress, work, vacations, family and so on takes a lot of my time. Anyway!

Started with some cleaning, vacuuming and removing the worst of the debris just to try to keep it as clean as possible when I remove the plenum. Also removed all of the old and crusted cable covers:

Lots of crud and old oil and dirt. I had the small hose for the power steering pump changed some years ago, but noted that it leaks now. It turned out to just be the clamps that where a bit lose, so tightened them up and topped up the fluid. The hose looks good still.

Removed EGR, drained some coolant, removed the top of the water pump to release the hose (which looks and feels in perfect condition, so I'm not sure I'll actually replace it), removed the coolant hose that connects to the plenum (this hose will be replaced, along with the other coolant hose that connects to the block and heater core).

Not really a visible change, but now I'm ready to unbolt and remove the plenum.

That's it for today!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

64. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-05-2016), lowman (07-05-2016)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

awesome.I like it
    i have seen somewhere..that some of the bolts on the plenum..MAY be seized...or at least often they are seized...the ones in the midle...on the right side of the engine..dont know if its them in praticular...cause of the EGR pipe going just on the side there..but..just wanted to let you know..and be carefull when removing them..and maybe "shock" them before you try to loosen them..

awesome work anyways .

awesome.I like it
    i have seen somewhere..that some of the bolts on the plenum..MAY be seized...or at least often they are seized...the ones in the midle...on the right side of the engine..dont know if its them in praticular...cause of the EGR pipe going just on the side there..but..just wanted to let you know..and be carefull when removing them..and maybe "shock" them before you try to loosen them..

awesome work anyways .
    Thanks, I removed two bolts today, they where really tight! But I took it with ease and they came loose. I'll probably massage the others a bit...

Thank you for the kind words, I'm not so good at documenting my progress but I think you get the picture so to speak. I'm somewhat inspired by you to maybe break out the video camera and make a little video! But don't hold your breath!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Wow Thomas! Snyggt jobbat!
    500E: -93, 326Hp/5 800rpm, 480nm/3900rpm, 0-100: 6.1s, 250km/h. 485 Rosewood, 273A Brasil. WDB1240361B928395 More Picture at Instagram/Twitter: @doktormercedes
    240D: -82, 590 000km
    C250TDT: 1997, 430 000Km.
    E420 Sportline:
    (M119.975) -94, 279hp/5700rpm, 400nm/3900rpm, 0-100: 7.2s, 250km/h SOLD
    300E manual: (M103.983) -86, 180hp/5700rpm, 260nm/4400rpm, 0-100: 7.9s, 230km/h SOLD

Started on my parts list to complete this job. I need the p/n's for some of the items still, and I'll have to inspect the manifold connector rings before ordering. Some other bits will probably be added...

Vacation time is here which unfortunately will not be spent in the workshop. Maybe I'll be able to work with the car one day this week, otherwise I'll be back home in a few weeks time and continue then.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Hello!

Been too busy with everything else that spells life for the past few months. I've at least managed to remove the plenum. So now I'm in cleaning mode, and ordering parts mode. I also realized that the oiler tubes where changed in 2009 to new (plastic) ones, so I'll leave them for now. I will post some pics from the cleaning! So when will I be ready? Nobody knows, but hopefully it won't be too long.

I've also finally set up a website for my car - http://www.w124.se I got the domain a few years back, being on a lot of business trips at the moment it fits nicely to use the time at the hotel to start on this. I have no intention to abandon any forums, I just wan't a complete-ish story of the car collected and controlled by myself. It's just a few posts at the moment, but I'm adding to it as often as I can, and intend to keeping it updated with my progress on things. I have and will add some stories that's related to this car, and others too. Oh and it's all in English!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

70. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (11-26-2016), Jlaa (11-27-2016), TerryA (11-27-2016)

So finally got some time to do a little bit of work. Disassembled the plenum and started cleaning it.
    A lot of dirt and nasty stuff that will need to be cleaned. The parts will now be bathing in a solution of water and degreaser for a day or two, then I'll continue with the rest of the cleaning process.

The rubbers between the plenum halves where actually better then I expected them to be, not a single one cracked or broken. But they are hard-ish and will of course be replaced.

The EGR tube was almost clogged solid, as expected. In general, a lot of grime in here. It probably won't do any harm staying there, but it will be sweet to get the plenum properly cleaned after 23 years of service.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

72. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

Eno (01-28-2017), gsxr (01-28-2017), JC220 (01-28-2017), lowman (01-28-2017)

Nice, I am planning the same soon, but not myself, in MB service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

TerryA (02-03-2017)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

However this is tempting:

More to come!
    Really ?
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

Really ?
    If I ever find cheap 17" steel rims I'm gonna do it. With the trailer coupling on, unwashed car and my original number plates it'll be the best sleeper!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

77. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

600Eric (01-28-2017), gsxr (01-28-2017)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

hehehe okei then
    Nice work on the inlet manifold by the way
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

hehehe okei then
    Nice work on the inlet manifold by the way
    Thanks! I hope I'll get it finished before the spring arrives...
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Settings done, basically wheel size and at what speed you want the tranny to go down on you,
    I was going to install my FGS soon but maybe not now after reading that

Thanks for the details on your install - my car has a E/S switch so I'll follow your install details. I too want it only when mode 'S' is engaged.

Great thread - keep up the good work!
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

81. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

doolar (01-28-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Awesome work, Dollar !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plenum pieces are still bathing in their solution, they are coming along nicely. I know, I could have just handed them in and had them cleaned at a shop, but this is too fun to not do by myself. I will take them out tomorrow, and unfortunately just have them rinsed and stored for awhile.

Going to Norway for a business trip for minimum three weeks. Do we have any forum members in Bø i Vesterålen? Didn't think so, north of the Arctic circle and a population of less than 300 in the village... Perhaps I get to see some northern lights though.

If I get the time I'll post some pics tomorrow, but don't hold your breath.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

84. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

nocfn (02-02-2017), sheward (02-02-2017), TerryA (02-02-2017)

I've seen the northern lights numerous times from Michigan. I hope you get a good show!

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

86. The Following User Says Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

doolar (02-02-2017)

Going to Norway for a business trip for minimum three weeks. Do we have any forum members Bø i Vesterålen? Didn't think so, north of the Arctic circle and a population of less than 300 in the village... Perhaps I get to see some northern lights though.
    How about Arnt or Lowman? I haven't a clue as to where either lives but I know it's Norway or as Arnt says Morpay.
    Terry

88. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

sheward (02-02-2017)

I never seem to find time for my car. Work and work. But today I at least got something done! And, I've taken a week off after I've closed my next project with restoring a wind turbine .

This is what met me when I opened the hood today:

2017-05-19 13.14.19.jpg

A bit cruddy:

2017-05-19 13.14.26.jpg

And better:

2017-05-19 13.57.49.jpg

There's still some cleaning to be done, and, of course, all the rest. But now I finally have a week to look forward to, and with nothing else planned, I really hope I will get everything done.

I have a few minor upgrades coming along too, I'll write about those when I get to my "E 420 - week of fun" in June.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

90. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-19-2017)