Thread: Looking for a Coffee Machine

Looking for a Coffee Machine

I am looking for a new coffee machine, any recommendations?

-a-
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: 500Eboard Status & Philosophy (w/regard to 500Ecstasy)

Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    I am looking for a new coffee machine, any recommendations?

-a-
    A french press, ground up whole bean coffee, and a kettle of boiling water provides the best coffee...

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    A french press, ground up whole bean coffee, and a kettle of boiling water provides the best coffee...
    Why is that ?
    1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Looking for a Coffee Machine

Ever drank French pressed coffee, using freshly ground whole-beans?

Ever drank French pressed coffee, using freshly ground whole-beans?
    Only in Europe, high end coffee houses in city's like San Francisco and at a few of my good Italian friend's homes.

So I know it can be better, but why is that ?

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
    Only in Europe, high end coffee houses in city's like San Francisco and at a few of my good Italian friend's homes.

So I know it can be better, but why is that ?
    http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/co...te-better.html

http://lawyerist.com/french-press-best-cup-coffee/

We get our coffee mail-order from Peet's Coffee, in Berkeley.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peet%27s_Coffee_%26_Tea

You're right - and exactly what I use today.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1928-16U.../dp/B00005LM0S

I probably look into something automatic/machine. It's faster and handy when having numerous guests.

-a-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arnt

~BANNED~

I'm the coffee machine, when it comes to making fresh coffee for my girly and there is specific process that I use.

1. Fresh and whole coffee beans are kept in the fridge until its time.
    2. The beans are grounded only in the morning and never the day before.
    3. Along with the coffee; sugar, black pepper and a few teaspoons of Grand Marnier's cognac liqueur are added to a bronze Turkish coffee pot - see pic below.
    4. The coffee is cooked very slowly over an open flame while being stirred and the coffee needs to rise up twice before being done.

With this process, my girly loves how the coffee tastes when comparing coffee made in a machine and she has been spoiled this way be me and now hates drinking coffee at coffee shops...although a few places in San Francisco's North Beach district serve excellent coffee, by her standards.

I'm not a coffee drinker and prefer tea, but I guess I make a good cup of coffee and now this has become my "chore".

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    You're right - and exactly what I use today.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1928-16U.../dp/B00005LM0S

I probably look into something automatic/machine. It's faster and handy when having numerous guests.

-a-
    Arnt,

We have used that large Bodum for many years (I've replaced the glass on it probably twice or thrice in the past 15 years). More recently, I purchased a Freiling stainless French press ... somewhat smaller in size but keeps the coffee hot longer, and very very good quality.

Usually my wife brews a press in the AM after we get up, and I fill up my tall commuter cup to drink in the SEC on the way to work. Usually finish it by the end of the 30 km backroad trip to the office.

Then we have another press or two in the evening ... often one after dinner, and another one later in the evening. In recent weeks, she brings me out a cup of coffee if I'm working in the shop (on her car).

Cheers,
    Gerry

Karl: go check out bird rock coffee roasters in la jolla if you want to try 3rd wave stuff and get away from charbucks nekkid mermaid type brews.

Arnt: technivorm moccamasters, various bunns, and the brazen are the current automatic "home machines" which make simple cups of drip coffee that have digestible prices and brew at a proper temperature. Depending how much you want to spend, you can also check out the upcoming Ratio Eight, or a current bunn trifecta. There are many many many ways to make a good cup of coffee. If you want to make a little show of it, the large siphon brewers are a lot of fun, but, they do require practice to get the most out of them. Like Gerry posted, the freilings are good (probably highest quality for standard french press), but check out espro press, and others. Bodum and many others also carry some larger volume french presses, they are relatively inexpensive.

Was hoping hobbies wouldn't collide ugh (disclaimer: I roast my own coffee and spend way too much time and money with the hobby, blah blah blah)
    Member, 6.0+ club

Quote Originally Posted by jano View Post
    Karl: go check out bird rock coffee roasters in la jolla if you want to try 3rd wave stuff and get away from charbucks nekkid mermaid type brews.
    I'm not a fan of charbucks although they are a customer of mine. I LOL when people stand in a line out the door of a SB and there is a great little mom and pop coffee shop across the street with no wait.

Thx for the tip I will check out Bird Rock coffee roasters

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

You are 100% correct. Charbucks is over-roasted.

People stand in a line out the door. You mean lemmings?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry: since you like french press, take a look at the Impress Coffee brewer. These are like french press, but it's an all in one that will keep you beverage hot (too hot for me). A lot of people complain french press will make a bitter brew if you let it sit too long - I experimented, and could go 30 minutes or so before it would begin to get that bitter taste. I did just read you like to travel with your cup, so maybe this isn't such a good idea as it doesn't fit in most cup holders.
    Member, 6.0+ club

I shamelessly plug in one I currently have for sale
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161197055597

Wow - I say people do like good coffee here! Many advices to research.

I grew up when all coffee was made in coffee kettles on the oven, and often using manual coffee grinders. When I get grown the coffee kettles had to make room for the modern technology - the drip cans. So the fossile kettles was thrown away, and so did the good taste. Today it is good drip brewers too, but it's light years away from press cans etc.. At work we have drip brewers, quite good too, where people load up voluntary when empty. But I am surprised of how weak people like the coffee?? I like to say - when the coffee is good, one mug will do - and when the coffee is bad, one mug will do too.

That siphon brewing was an entertaining process.
    Arnt

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I have always drunk straight, black coffee. The thicker the better. It has to be roasted just right. Starbucks over-roasts their coffee, and it is too bitter from the get-go.

Peet's is just perfect. If you live in the Bay Area (or anywhere in the PRK) you'll know Peet's. My wife and I consume 1 kg every two weeks, or about 2 kg of whole-bean coffee per month.

My dad was a true car guy and he loved his black coffee. He always had many great car stories, think real life American Graffiti, I'll give you the short version of one of them.

It was a cold foggy night on a old 2 lane road outside of Modesto California. My dad came into the blind corner too hot especially when trying to manage the big Ford with only a right hand. He knew what might happen before it did, nevertheless he made his choice and did all he could with his one hand. As he crawled out of the car, that was now upside down in the ditch on the side of the road, he still had half a cup of coffee in his left hand. That coffee was especially good on the long walk home

Now Gerry, don't be a Starbucks hater. I served you Starbucks!

i love Pete's and enjoy it when in CA. Can we buy it in TX.
    Patrick
    1987 560SL (Current Project Car)
    1995 E300D, 2005 G500
    1997 Porsche 993 C2S, 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
    1993 500E Signal Red / Black SOLD

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

You can buy Peet's at HEB stores ... but you don't have them there in DFW LOL !! Perhaps you can get it at the Central Market though.

I believe there are Peet's stores at DFW? We have one at Houston Hobby, although I don't go there very often (it's the Houston version of Love Field).

When we mail-order it from California, it usually arrives 4-5 days after it's been roasted, and comes vacuum-packed.

My daughter gave me a Keurig for Christmas. So, because it is from my daughter that is what I currently use. Kind of a silly little machine because the little cups only make a 6 oz cup and who the hell drinks a 6 oz cup of joe? A typical coffee mug is 12 oz so you have to use two of damn k cups. I do enjoy the variety of flavors and coffees. My favorite coffee is Kona, but very spendy stuff.

Peet's is good coffee and there is one about a 1/4 mile from my house. I do like it better than Starback's.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon
    2011 E550 4Matic

I have one of these buried somewhere I need to dig it out - fresh espresso brewed right in the car - with decent ground coffee who needs Starbucks? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389753971.101527.jpg
    Connecting via two tin cans and a piece of string
    Currently in the Garage....

92 500E
    08 GL450 - RIP - shopping replacement
    96 Bentley Continental R

Zassenhaus knee mill and small French press for me. I brew one cup at a time so the coffee is hot and fresh.

Lately, I have been drinking another Bay area coffee, Rogers Family Fog Chaser, though I always have three or four other coffees available so that I don't get board.

Steve, I have never tried black pepper in coffee, but you have me interested...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    Peet's is good coffee and there is one about a 1/4 mile from my house. I do like it better than Starback's.
    The Peet's at NE 15th & Broadway in NE Portland is about 5 blocks from my old home there, so it was a regular hangout for many years for my wife and I. I actually was presented (and accepted) a job offer, and negotiated my salary over coffee there with a company President/CEO, back in 2006

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. Peet's is IMHO the best widely available coffee. I've been a fan since they were only available here in the SF Bay Area a thousand years ago. Now you can find the small vacuum packed bags in places like Safeway, often on sale, and big bags of their high volume blend are in Costco too.

The wonderful thing about coffee is it is great in many different preparations. The French Press is great. Love also my Capresso fully automatic espresso maker. Can't beat a good push of a button espresso.

Experiment a bit and find what you like.

For espresso shots and the occasional lungos (long pulls), Nespresso ... and Penelope Cruz.

Though my heart is set for a La Pavoni, but for the pure convenience, at home and at the office, a Nespresso machine with pods works for me. I rarely don't drink espresso (doppio preferred) and never with sugar and for me Peets espresso shots is VERY bitter where as Starbucks is softer with a caramel overtone. Yes, I like espresso and the Nespresso machine/system is pretty damn amazing.

I spoke to Vince C sometime ago and he has gone to the deep-end with coffee ... $$$ roaster, grinder, press, etc. Maybe he'll chime in.
    ================
    SOLD - 1992 500E - currently in the stable - 2004 Porsche RUF Dakara 550 | 2014 Fiat 500L

Keyboard Warrior

We have a La Pavoni, wonderful, but work to use.... For a quick caffeine jolt it's Jacobs instant and that's that.
    La Pavoni has high counter value, like a Cadco toaster or Mauviel pots and pans. And I don't mean the cheap crap that Williams Sonoma pedals, I mean the good stuff available at Dehilleran. Hammered copper lined with sterling. Not for show but for use.

R

Like Gerry posted, the freilings are good (probably highest quality for standard french press), but check out espro press, and others.
    I have both a Freiling and an Espro Press and prefer the Espro. Use a La Cimbali Max Hybrid (purchased from Chris Coffee) to do the grinding...it's a machine! Just like my E500.

Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Loving this coffee thread !! Learning a lot !

E500E Guru

Central market is a high-end HEB.

French press is available at any starbucks. If you ask- they will make you one. The one-cup solution many ppl use is the "Aeropress".

If you are going to the effort to mail-order coffee, I highly recommend:

www.kaffeeklatsch.com

The owner/roaster usually has lots of stuff not on their website. Call and talk to him in the early afternoon (2-3pm CST).

"Here at The Kaffeeklatsch, Inc. we started the New Year by roasting coffee on January 1st. We have an amazing variety of fantastic Single-Estate coffees. One of our most popular ones is our Costa Rican coffee from the La Minita farm, perennially a favorite. Our Honduran coffee from the Marlene Contreras coop is another Central American coffee that has won international acclaim . Our Organic Brazil Fazenda Floresta is grown using biodynamic methods and is naturally processed giving it a unique fruity, earthy flavor. Our Hawaiian Kona is exceptionally delicious this year"

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ron500E View Post
    We have a La Pavoni, wonderful, but work to use.... For a quick caffeine jolt it's Jacobs instant and that's that.
    La Pavoni has high counter value, like a Cadco toaster or Mauviel pots and pans. And I don't mean the cheap crap that Williams Sonoma pedals, I mean the good stuff available at Dehilleran. Hammered copper lined with sterling. Not for show but for use.

R
    Nice to know (about the La Pavoni). Yes, lots of work, but making the espresso is an art and is a joy making, when done well ... like mixing a Martini.
    ================
    SOLD - 1992 500E - currently in the stable - 2004 Porsche RUF Dakara 550 | 2014 Fiat 500L

Arnt - for large batches, in addition to the few I already mentioned, you can also consider the bonavita brewer. It's comparable to the technivorms, but not as expensive.
    Member, 6.0+ club

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Arnt - for large batches, in addition to the few I already mentioned, you can also consider the bonavita brewer. It's comparable to the technivorms, but not as expensive.
    Wow, I didn't know that Bondavi made coffee machines too. Cool !!

I think of Jura , but they are pretty expensive

http://www.blackcat.jura.com/home_blackcat_x.htm
    Patrice
    92' 500E

Quote Originally Posted by diaconovic View Post
    I think of Jura , but they are pretty expensive

http://www.blackcat.jura.com/home_blackcat_x.htm
    Thanks guys.

Moccamaster was, and still is, very famous over here and has been the highest rated drip can brewers for years. The main reason for their breakthrough was a far better taste on the coffee due to proper control on the temperature and processing time: http://www.moccamaster.com/se/homepage-welcome/
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Mocca%20Master

Brewing machines has developed tremendously over the last decade to more variety on coffee types and flavours, and with a satisfactory process time for common use. So I guess the choice of equipment and brewing depends on the individual taste & preference and time consume to make good coffee.

But it's really nice to see the multiple ways on coffee brewing around!
    ...but make it strong!

BTW, did you know that the strongest beer is 67%..
    Last edited by 500AMM; 01-16-2014 at 05:27 AM.
    Arnt

Meh! Too lazy to make coffee myself.. I just budget £100 a month for twice a day cup of triple shots latte at SB!

Sent using Tapatalk
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Meh! Too lazy to make coffee myself.. I just budget £100 a month for twice a day cup of triple shots latte at SB!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Hmmm, you may need some thorough coffee lessons, Bing!

No offence about Starbucks, but funny though....
    Arnt

Intl 500E GTG coordinator 195910's Avatar

Arnt, for real coffee: Turkish medium with "face" .. that how we call it..

Actually the ground is Turkish.. the coffee bean it self is Arabic..which is considered the best in the world and very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by 195910 View Post
    Arnt, for real coffee: Turkish medium with "face" .. that how we call it..

Actually the ground is Turkish.. the coffee bean it self is Arabic..which is considered the best in the world and very expensive.
    I have been using Arabica coffee for years for both the drip brewer and the press can. However, I guess that Turkish is quite different from what I use.

ALI is the Norwegian brand based on 100% Arabica coffee beans and sold in most grocers.

-a-
    Arnt

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

I'm not a serious coffee drinker. Never have been and probably never will be and neither is my wife. In fact we both only drink decaf and while we do grind our beans at home, we buy Kirkland brand from Costco. This is what we normally brew coffee with: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-4-Cu.../dp/B0008JIW8U
    It's perfect for two mugs and only takes a few minutes.

We also have a larger Krupps drip machine for company.

Anyway, don't laugh too hard
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

The best normal coffee machine is...... Trust me We drink a lot of coffee up here..lol Makes the best tasting coffee with all the features including gold reusable filter.

KitchenAid - Classic 12 Cup Coffee Maker - KCM111OB

Availability:

Warranty:
    N/A

SKU:
    KIT-KCM111OB

$79.99 CAD
    SPECIAL OFFER Was $95.99 MSRP: $99.99

1 Review(s) | Add Your Review

Quantity:

Suitable For:

• Home Use

Quick Overview

KitchenAid - Classic 12 Cup Coffee Maker - KCM111OB

Click on image below to zoom

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    I'm not a serious coffee drinker. Never have been and probably never will be and neither is my wife. In fact we both only drink decaf and while we do grind our beans at home, we buy Kirkland brand from Costco. This is what we normally brew coffee with: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-4-Cu.../dp/B0008JIW8U
    It's perfect for two mugs and only takes a few minutes.

We also have a larger Krupps drip machine for company.

Anyway, don't laugh too hard
    Sorry I did LOL, that's a cute little unit.

Do you use paper filters or have you made your own filter out of 036 parts some ingenious way ?

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
    Sorry I did LOL, that's a cute little unit.

Do you use paper filters or have you made your own filter out of 036 parts some ingenious way ?
    I buy MB cabin air filters, take them apart and use the filter material in the coffee maker.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Perhaps an illustrated GVZ "HOW-TO" article is in order, with regard to making coffee with a French Press?

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Video would be better.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Gerry: http://brewmethods.com/

Glen (not french press, but funny):
    Member, 6.0+ club

This string motivated me to pull out my french press, find some Peets (Tom Thumb), and I have been enjoying some good coffee for the past week!

what is your favorite Peets variety?
    Patrick
    1995 E300D, 2005 G500

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Major Dickason's Blend. It's really far better when mail-ordered from them directly. We found that the bagged Peet's in our HEB stores here was roasted several months ago. We get an order from Peet's directly, every three weeks (2+ pounds of whole beans) via UPS, and it is always roasted <5-6 days before we have it in hand. Tres fresh !!

Mail-order link: http://www.peets.com/subscriptions.html

I buy MB cabin air filters, take them apart and use the filter material in the coffee maker.
    This is good. I have an extra set of new cabin filters. I'm going to try it as a cone filter to make single cups, like for my commuter mug.

Cheers,
    Gerry

I'll brew up some Major Dickason's tomorrow. I purchased some last week and haven't tried it yet. I did notice date stamps on the bags purchased in the grocery store. And, in some bags, I noticed that they were roasted a few months ago. The one I purchased was roasted in December. Next time I'll order up!
    Patrick
    1995 E300D, 2005 G500

This is good. I have an extra set of new cabin filters. I'm going to try it as a cone filter to make single cups, like for my commuter mug.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    Perhaps an illustrated GVZ "HOW-TO" article is in order, with regard to making coffee with a French Press?
    That's a business idea, Glen - request MB Classisc Center to develop genuine MB coffee filters and get a PN on it.
    Then Gerry can write a proper HOW-TO in good MB-manners.
    ...we definitely need a 500Eboard coffee mug now.

-a-
    Arnt