Thread: OWNER - portiadog1

OWNER - portiadog1

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new owner of a 1993 500E. Car arrived today, and although a PPI was done, I will be taking it to my guy next week to have another once over done, and to do a few repairs. I am looking for a local interior shop to do the headliner in Alcantara, and will be adding the aux-in via Becker's in house repair. This car replaces a 2009 997.2 C4S, and now joins my 1996 993tt as a fun car, and one that my wife will allow my son to ride in.

Admin edit: Click here for a link to the original "for sale" thread with details on the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Re: OWNER - Portiadog1

Welcome and congrats! Awesome 993 too
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: OWNER - Portiadog1

Hmm...you should talk to texas993 ... he's got a red 911 (993) as well.... good taste anyhoo !!

Where are you located?

Re: OWNER - portiadog1

Thanks all. I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area, in NC. I think I have seen texas993 post over on Rennlist. I believe a few of the 993 owners have 500E's as well. Can't wait to get this thing into the Blue Ridge Mountains this summer. I've got a lot to learn and want to thank you all for such a wealth of knowledge here on this forum. It is going to help a lot with some of the projects I have in mind, in terms of small interior upgrades and fixes, and some audio stuff.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

You should definitely get to know Jono (in Lilburn [Atlanta] GA) and also Trae here on the board, who lives in Hickory, NC. Trae owns two 500Es, one of them being a RENNtech tuned example. Sounds like a good road trip to visit Jono in ATL ... one of the foremost authorities in the US on the 500E/E500.

E500E Guru

Hi and welcome!

BTW, do you or any of your Porsche friends have any experience with this Kwiksilver by Rimguard outfit at Stony Park Drive? They claim to have a CNC lathe that can refinish machined finished rims. I have a set of wheels that needs the lips to be re-machined and there's no one nearby. Thanks

Great pair of cars. 993 and E500 makes for a happy driver.

~BANNED~

I love your car; probably because it has the same color combo and wheels as mine

Thanks for the heads up, Gerry. I'll try reaching out to them, and I certainly hope to do a lot of road trips in this car.

Unfortunately I have not heard of Kwiksilver but I will ask around.

You have great taste in cars! Congrats! You will find that the 500E is the sedan version of the 993. The longer you have it, the more that you will love it.
    Patrick
    1987 560SL (Current Project Car)
    1995 E300D, 2005 G500
    1997 Porsche 993 C2S, 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
    1993 500E Signal Red / Black SOLD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to texas993 For This Useful Post:

sheward (12-20-2016)

Port, first of all, thank you for the easy transaction. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your straight forward approach.

I would really like to hear your thoughts on the car, and if there any issues with the car that I failed to mention, I'd be willing to work with you on those.

Finally, I am really happy that this car found a good home. I really like the car and didn't want to see it being butchered.

I hope you enjoy it.

Love your 993.

JR, thanks for an easy transaction as well, specifically for being so easy to communicate with and for making the car so available to have inspected from many states away. The car got here yesterday and seems to drive well, although I have only put about 15 miles on it. The car looks pretty clean.

I plan to address the rear end body work as pointed out in the for sale thread, replace the headliner (which was worse than expected but doesn't matter since I was going to rip it out anyway) with black alcantara, and have the wood trim refinished by Madera, polish and rejuvenate the seats, and have Becker add the aux-in to the radio.

The only unexpected bit so far is the holes in the driver's side door panel where something was attached before. Any ideas of what that might have been?

Also, does anyone have a good source for the nice chrome square muffler tips?

Finally, Would this fire extinguisher mount fit the drivers or passenger side front seat?
    http://www.rennline.com/Universal-Fi...fo/FE09/BLACK/

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Holes in door panels are usually from the crappy MB dealer flip-down cup holders.

Unfortunately they usually got screwed (pun intended) right through the leather into the door panel fiberboard.

Gerry, that sounds exactly like what I am seeing. Thank you. I ordered a replacement door part from parts.com.

Do you have any idea if that rennline fire extinguisher mount would fit?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I'm not sure about the aftermarket fire extinguisher bracket, but it sure looks pretty!

The factory fire extinguisher mounts, buckets, etc should all be available... then get a used extinguisher from eBay Germany. Make sure to get matching sizes! The 1.0 unit won't fit in a 1.3 bucket, and vice-versa. Photos are here.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Welcome!

There are few of us from the Washington DC area. Maybe you can come up here or we can all meet in Richmond for a get together once the weather gets better.

Hollybrook, that sounds great. I have family and friends in the DC area and I am sure that we will be coming for a visit at some point in the spring or summer. I'd love to attend a DC area Cars & Coffee as well.

This past weekend my 500E took part in a photoshoot for a tactical company. Thought I would share, some of the photos look pretty cool.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
    Is your passenger headlight correct? Looks like it may be from a E400, unless the pictures are deceiving. In the original for sale post the headlights looked correct, so unless something happened between when they were taken and your most recent pics, they should be correct.

Andy
    Andy
    94 E500
    (128k miles)....sold
    2000 Land Rover Disco (112k miles)
    95 Mazda Miata (104k miles)
    91 BMW 325i (140+K miles odo broken!)

Thanks Andy. I haven't done anything to change the headlight housings, but I did install an HID kit. I know people here hate them, but I quite like driving with them.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Andy has a sharp eye! He is correct, the passenger side headlight lens is not correct for the E500E. Probably should check the headlamp assembly as well, the internal bits are different too, not just the lens...

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Andy has a sharp eye! He is correct, the passenger side headlight lens is not correct for the E500E. Probably should check the headlamp assembly as well, the internal bits are different too, not just the lens...

I learned from the master Dave....

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298
    Andy
    94 E500
    (128k miles)....sold
    2000 Land Rover Disco (112k miles)
    95 Mazda Miata (104k miles)
    91 BMW 325i (140+K miles odo broken!)

Good info, thank you!

After having almost pulled the trigger on sending this car to Wisconsin to a 928 tuner to attempt a supercharger install, I ended up selling it to @S4cruiser. Recently I purchased the car back from Jon, who kept it in excellent condition.

When the NOS 6L AMG motor popped up on German ebay, it seemed like a better solution than the supercharger. I want to thank @gsxr and @klink for answering tons and tons of questions about what would be needed for the swap. After some negotiation with the seller, I have purchased the motor and it is making its way to the states, where it will be delivered to Jono's shop for the transplant. The car itself should be getting shipped sometime this week.

FWIW, the seller of the motor is a high end Mercedes restoration shop in Germany. One of their clients sounds like he is quite the collector, and has a very strong relationship with MB. The seller says that the collector often buys up high end motors and other parts from MB or a "just in case" scenario. Apparently his warehouse is stocked with AMG and Brabus motors. Years ago the seller mentioned to the collector that he would like to buy this 6L AMG motor if it were ever to be for sale. Not wanting to go back on his word, he purchased it from the collector, but immediately put it up for sale as he no longer has use for it in a personal project.

I want to once again thank the board for being a vast, friendly, and knowledgeable resource for these extraordinary vehicles. Fingers crossed that everything goes according to plan!

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to portiadog1 For This Useful Post:

Glen (12-20-2016), gsxr (12-20-2016), Klink (12-20-2016), Maddic (12-29-2016), psportoveloce (12-20-2016), Raffaelli (12-20-2016), Rouven036 (12-20-2016), sheward (12-20-2016)

Awesome!! So pumped to get a ride once the swap is done...and possibly purchasing it again one day
    Jon
    '93 500E

Recently I flew down to ATL to visit Jono's shop and pick up my car.

The 6L, as expected, is a noticeable difference and the car is even more enjoyable than before.

Thanks to Jono for quality work and to Thore for making beautiful wheels.

IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG 17972138_1840144792677979_6095223360741217877_o.jpg

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to portiadog1 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), Jlaa (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago), SayHey (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Congrats! Nice to see it all finished up... looks awesome.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago), portiadog1 (1 Week Ago)