Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OWNER - baviking1

OWNER - baviking1

OK folks, I took the e500 plunge a couple of weeks ago by buying a 1994 salvage title car (in need of much love) and adding it to the stable in my high desert, solar-powered compound.
    00202_jLf0g0r45Pz_600x450.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    The salvage title doesnt bother me (as I intend on keeping it until I croak), but I DO want to get it back as close to pristine condition as I can. This should prove to be a challenge though, as the poor car was both abused and neglected by past owners. It had taken a hard hit to the right rear, and the repair looked suspect in the photos (to say the least). I flew to Hollywood last week (in full-bore flu mode) and drove it back with no issues, but cursory inspection revealed the repair was worse than I had thought. I have some friends right down the street who specialize in BMW repair/restoration, so we immediately pulled out all the trunk carpet/panels and put it up on the lift for a closer look.
    IMAG0306.jpg
    It immediately became apparent that the rear subframe was bent, jacking up the alignment. The bodywork was a real hatchet job with everything just pulled back crudely, the right quarter panel heavily-bondo'ed and out-of-alignment, and dents/damage left unrepaired on the inside of the trunk sheetmetal. The tailight flanges on the rear panel were literally GONE (i.e. cut out), leaving the tailights to be held in with self-tapping screws (oy).
    IMAG0311.jpg
    There is also unrepaired alignment damage to the right frame rail, leaving the gas filler cap, passenger side rear tire, fender line, and passenger side rear door out of alignment.
    IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    The "Beemer boys" (as I affectionately refer to them) were having a field day dissing the new Benz . This was a calculated strategy on my part though. This time last year, they were saying the same unkind things about my $650 e420 (as we were assembling it piece by piece from a pile of parts in the trunk). Now that it has run flawlessly for a year (and they have ridden in its magnificent splendor), their admiration knows no bounds. When someone tells me I can't do something I feed off that negativity, hunker down, and get it done.

Anyway, other negative issues are as follows:

Odometer & trip both non-functional.
    Hirschman doesn't power up/down.
    CC non-functional.
    Rear pneumatic spheres blown (riding 2-4" lower than normal).
    Trans pan drain plug RTV'ed in.
    No shift lever bushings whatsover.
    Lifter click (assuming oiler tubes; they ARE plastic).
    Strange whine in engine bay that sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid. Both the SLS and steering pumps are full though, so it might be the air pump.
    Some type of issue with the gas tank (probably from the accident). When full, it wants to spit gas out of the cap.

On the plus side:

Interior is as perfect as you will find in a 20 yr old car.
    Paint is fresh (probably from rear repair) and @ 90%.
    Engine runs great w/no leaks; averaged over 20 MPG @ 70-85 MPH.
    Passed AZ emissions hands-down.
    Trans shifts like it should w no reverse clicking/lag.
    Sound system excellent.

In any event, I have been quite busy in the last week. I found a donor 94 e420 at a local yard, and had them chop the rear end off of it for me. Her sacrifice will provide me with straight sheetmetal to weld in and repair the back end. It also came with a rear sunshade that will find a new home in my e420. A bummer was that I had asked them to leave the subframe on, but that got lost in the espanol translation (and it and the rest of the car ended up in the crusher). So, I am in search of a shippable rear subframe if anyone has any leads. On Monday I will get an estimate on repair cost on straightening the frame on a machine, removing the trunk guts, welding in the new metal, and repainting. I will probably have to shoot some of the interior trunk paint myself to save $$$; the exterior is a bit beyond my skills...
    IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    I pulled a set of oiler tubes from a 1992 400SE a couple of days ago, and gave them a spit-shining prior to installation.
    IMAG0310.jpg
    I changed ALL the fluids except for the trans (because I also pulled a good pan for it at the yard, and will service it when I swap it in). The oil, coolant, and brake fluid were utterly disgusting (as I said; poor car had been neglected). I'll get to the rear diff lube soon too. I plan on getting AMG Monoblocks for this car, and selling the Porsche-style Gemballas. I also will get a slightly larger profile tire, as I need the added cushion in my remote rural setting. Also not a big fan of the low-profile "gangbanger" look. The next step if to get the rear spheres replaced to see what that does to the ride height etc.

I'll be working as quickly as I can find the parts,and will keep this thread udated with any progress. I really enjoy the challenge of restoring something that's been abandoned. I'm also in the middle of converting my 1953 Dodge M56 military truck into a 440 Magnum-powered dump truck (but that's ANOTHER story).

As always, any suggestions or help are much-appreciated. I'm long on neandrathal grunt, but VERY short on actual know-how.....
    Last edited by baviking1; 03-07-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Operation "Rehab the Ugly Stepchild e500" in full swing!!

This is an awesome beginning. So looking forward to your progress. Definitely keep posting so we know how it's going. Especially interested to hear how you overcome any challenges you face.

Thanks for the topic!

Cheers,
    Gerry

My respect to the people like you ! That is nice that you are "buying" a car not the title. I am also glad another 036 will be saved

You said your antenna does not work ? Do you think it is bad antenna itself ? If so I can drop you my Hirschmann W202 antenna (replacement part) at no charge.

Also good news for you, most likely your plastic trim piece inside of trunk is broken so you will have to replace it. Do not buy a used one because the new one is just $15 at the dealer and it makes a big difference in the appearance of trunk . Let me know if you need a part number

Keep us posted with the process of restoration . Better resolution pics will be appreciated

500E 1 of 15

Good on you. I love seeing this. I hate to see a single one of these cars get junked. Even though the parts typically go to good use, I still shed a little tear each time I see one get junked.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon (sold)
    2011 E550 4Matic

~BANNED~

Good luck on this! I'm confident you'll end up with a restored car to be really proud of.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

WOW! The hidden damage is amazing. I think this car will be an excellent example as a warning to others when buying a car that has been in an accident in the rear... have the seller pull all the trunk carpets, and take some photos. I agree with the comments above, I think it's awesome you are restoring it rather than taking it apart. At least you got it at a reasonable price!

Click here to see the original "For Sale" listing.

Comments about your list of issues:

• Odometer will like need repair via a VDO shop
    • Antenna may require replacement. If it's a late style, swapping the external control module might fix it.
    • Cruise control not working - check the E-GAS module part number, make sure it's correct!
    • If the ride height is too low, that may not be spheres. Check the entire SLS system, and verify the rear springs are correct.
    • Air (smog) pump only runs intermittently after a cold start. Is the whine present after warmup?
    • Does the gas tank spit gas out the cap with the cap on? Might be the wrong (or aftermarket) cap.

For the rear clip swap: Be careful!! The E420 rear clip has some differences compared to the E500. Specifically, the spare tire well and battery tray area is completely different. Depending on how much you plan to cut & swap, you may need to buy the E500 spare tire tray (photo attached) and weld that in to the E420 clip. Bad news is, the price went up quite a bit from last year, it's now $473 from parts.com for 124-610-04-75 (click here).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    This is an awesome beginning. So looking forward to your progress. Definitely keep posting so we know how it's going. Especially interested to hear how you overcome any challenges you face.

Thanks for the topic!

Cheers,
    Gerry

Thx GVZ, I asm looking forward to completing it. Always a satisfied feeling when done....

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_500E View Post
    My respect to the people like you ! That is nice that you are "buying" a car not the title. I am also glad another 036 will be saved

You said your antenna does not work ? Do you think it is bad antenna itself ? If so I can drop you my Hirschmann W202 antenna (replacement part) at no charge.

Also good news for you, most likely your plastic trim piece inside of trunk is broken so you will have to replace it. Do not buy a used one because the new one is just $15 at the dealer and it makes a big difference in the appearance of trunk . Let me know if you need a part number

Keep us posted with the process of restoration . Better resolution pics will be appreciated

Thx Roma, that's a really nice offer I may take you up on. However I will insist on paying you SOMETHING, and will be in touch once I figure out the antenna's status (parts arent free, and neither is anything in life ). BTW, I got a perfect rear trim piece along with the e420 rear clip. As for the pictures, the HTC Droid Incredible One's camera was ther schizzle back in the day. Phone techno wars have left me blissfully in the stone age.

I hope the Minnesota cold is treating you and your car well. I'm originally from Nodak (Dad from St Paul), so I am no stranger to it....

Thx Sir, I feel the same way! I have a strong attraction to all things discarded/neglected, and its a major vice/character flaw (haha). I just restored a 1954 Ford Golden Jubilee tractor that had been sitting for 20 years. It looks and runs like new NOW,but you should have seen it 3 months ago....

Quote Originally Posted by elbeik View Post
    Good luck on this! I'm confident you'll end up with a restored car to be really proud of.

Thx Sir, I will make it a point to do just that!!

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    WOW! The hidden damage is amazing. I think this car will be an excellent example as a warning to others when buying a car that has been in an accident in the rear... have the seller pull all the trunk carpets, and take some photos. I agree with the comments above, I think it's awesome you are restoring it rather than taking it apart. At least you got it at a reasonable price!

Click here to see the original "For Sale" listing.

Comments about your list of issues:

• Odometer will like need repair via a VDO shop
    • Antenna may require replacement. If it's a late style, swapping the external control module might fix it.
    • Cruise control not working - check the E-GAS module part number, make sure it's correct!
    • If the ride height is too low, that may not be spheres. Check the entire SLS system, and verify the rear springs are correct.
    • Air (smog) pump only runs intermittently after a cold start. Is the whine present after warmup?
    • Does the gas tank spit gas out the cap with the cap on? Might be the wrong (or aftermarket) cap.

For the rear clip swap: Be careful!! The E420 rear clip has some differences compared to the E500. Specifically, the spare tire well and battery tray area is completely different. Depending on how much you plan to cut & swap, you may need to buy the E500 spare tire tray (photo attached) and weld that in to the E420 clip. Bad news is, the price went up quite a bit from last year, it's now $473 from parts.com for 124-610-04-75 (click here).

Thx Dave, I actually pulled all the carpets upon arrival (the seller pickd me up at the airport in the car), so I was aware of its pitfalls but still went through with the transaction. I had seen the ad you referenced posted here, so I was aware it would have some issues. However, I was extremely heartened by the fact that I cooked home from LA like a German V2 .

1)I already pulled a set of nylon gears from the e420 speedo. No idea if that is the issue or not, but I will first attempt a DIY repair before sending it out.

2)I didnt know there WAS an external module on the Hirschman. Where is it located?

3)I will check the module today after getting the correct part# from the EPC.

4)The seller DID say he had thought the car was lowered (YUCK!!), but it certainly rides rough in the back. I just assumed with mileage approaching 200k that the spheres were shot. Is there a diagnostic procedure (couldnt find one in the FSM or suspension forum)? I'm going to go through ALL the suspension/steering front & rear anyway ("hello Bilstein"). How would I confirm if the springs were OEM?

5)The whine is DEFINTELY present at all times (including after warmup).

6)The gas tank issue occurred after I topped the tank to the very maximum and put it up on ramps to change the oil (which was blacker than molasses). I noticed a slight crinkling in the filler neck inside the trunk from the accident (I wish I could figure out how to post a pic in this reply; it asks for a URL instead of inserting a link from my PC). I have changed the cap to one of the e420, but it didnt seem to help. I guess I could just not fill it to the max...

7)Aware of the tire well/battery differences, but the plan is to strategically cut the sheet metal so the same dimensions are retained. It really is pretty thin material, so that shouldnt be much problem once the spot welds are drilled out/removed. The shop I am using has a frame machine arriving next week (how convenient), but I'm sure replacing the bent subframe is going to clean up a LOT of the issues. A proper repair will certainly be the majority of my $$ expenditure.

Quote Originally Posted by baviking1 View Post
    Thx Roma, that's a really nice offer I may take you up on. However I will insist on paying you SOMETHING, and will be in touch once I figure out the antenna's status (parts arent free, and neither is anything in life ). BTW, I got a perfect rear trim piece along with the e420 rear clip. As for the pictures, the HTC Droid Incredible One's camera was ther schizzle back in the day. Phone techno wars have left me blissfully in the stone age.

I hope the Minnesota cold is treating you and your car well. I'm originally from Nodak (Dad from St Paul), so I am no stranger to it....
    Looks like you know how beautiful winter time in MN is I usually go to st.Paul to eat ice cream , there is nice old ice cream factory store Well , you are right , nothing is free so I ll have to charge you $5 Let me know if you need it

For some reason HTC devices are not good at camera technology
    500E 1 of 15

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: OWNER - baviking1

2) The external module is only on late-style antennas. It's visibly separate.

4) Bad spheres = hard ride, but NOT lower ride height.

6) The fuel tank filler neck is "crinkled" from the factory. Compare to your E420.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

6) The fuel tank filler neck is "crinkled" from the factory. Compare to your E420.

Thx Dave, I located and pulled the module. Upon taking it apart, I think I discovered my problem (although I havent confirmed voltage as of yet). See the photo I just added to my album (still wont let me insert it here in replies). I'll try cleaning off the corrosion and see what happens.

Re: the spheres, "bad ride" is an understatement. Compared to my e420 (the epitome of plush), the 500 is a lumberwagon. I am going to replace them and see what happens.

My e-gas module is 129-545-2632. EPC says part#016545143281, but that part of the sticker is missing.

Filler neck exactly the same as e420, so that's not it. I think I'll just leave it 95% full and not worry about it until I go up in flames.....

No go on cleaning up the module. BTW the EPC doesnt show that external control module for the Hirschmann, and its also not on parts.com. Is there a good source for those?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Please take a screen shot of why/how it won't let you insert photos in replies. You need to use the "Go Advanced" button rather than the "Quick Reply" or "Reply with Quote" buttons to insert photos.

Also, when you click the "Go Advanced" button, you should see the following (click on the image to expand it):

Screenshot 2014-03-08 17.58.37.jpg

If you select the "Manage Attachments" button, then the following pop-up screen should appear, and allow you to upload photos either from your computer directly, or from a URL. (Click to expand image).

Screenshot 2014-03-08 17.58.53.jpg

If you scroll down on the pop-up window, you should be able to see the size limitations of the photo files. I have allowed an extremely generous image size (file size) as well as physical size (pixel size, around 2500x2500 pixels) so you should be able to upload most all photos, with the exception of very large high-res images taken with a mobile or digital camera, which need to be resized to a reasonable size to meet my limitations (which, as I said, are VERY generous for a web forum).

I hope this helps guide you for image uploads.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

No go on cleaning up the module. BTW the EPC doesnt show that external control module for the Hirschmann, and its also not on parts.com. Is there a good source for those?
    You need to obtain a full antenna assembly from a wrecking yard. If you need one, let me know ... I have 4-5 spare assemblies from late W124 models.

Please take a screen shot of why/how it won't let you insert photos in replies. You need to use the "Go Advanced" button rather than the "Quick Reply" or "Reply with Quote" buttons to insert photos.Also, when you click the "Go Advanced" button, you should see the following (click on the image to expand it):Screenshot 2014-03-08 17.58.37.jpgIf you select the "Manage Attachments" button, then the following pop-up screen should appear, and allow you to upload photos either from your computer directly, or from a URL. (Click to expand image).Screenshot 2014-03-08 17.58.53.jpgIf you scroll down on the pop-up window, you should be able to see the size limitations of the photo files. I have allowed an extremely generous image size (file size) as well as physical size (pixel size, around 2500x2500 pixels) so you should be able to upload most all photos, with the exception of very large high-res images taken with a mobile or digital camera, which need to be resized to a reasonable size to meet my limitations (which, as I said, are VERY generous for a web forum).I hope this helps guide you for image uploads.Cheers,Gerry
    Thx GVZ, I have it now...

You need to obtain a full antenna assembly from a wrecking yard. If you need one, let me know ... I have 4-5 spare assemblies from late W124 models.

OUCH, no replacement modules available anywhere?? (shame on you Hirschmann!!). Here's what my module looked like (ie corroded, and the plastic cover was broken from the accident). Confrmed its getting 12 volts with the key/radio on. Rest of the antennae looks really good. I really hate to replace the whole thing (I literally recycle everything I can), but it sounds like I have no choice....

IMAG0322.jpg

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If your antenna has the external module that plugs in separately, there is a guy who sells good used ones on eBay for $25. I just bought one to fix the antenna in my wife's E420. See if your E420 has the same style antenna/module, if so, swap the modules to verify the antenna is good. You don't need to remove the antenna from the car, just pull the carpet back. I have not yet determined if it's possible to repair the modules easily or not. There sure isn't much to them, as seen in your photo! The module is NOT available new, AFAIK, from any source.

The 129 E-GAS module should work OK, meaning it should not affect cruise control. Very odd that your cruise doesn't work. It doesn't work even at low speeds, i.e. 30mph, correct? Next step would be to check the switch. A digital scanner can verify that the E-GAS is receiving the proper signals from the switch. If your E420 has ASR, you can swap modules as a test. IIRC, your E420 does not have ASR... if that is the case you CAN NOT swap the modules, don't even try. The number you listed (016-545-14-32) is the LH module, btw.

For a rock-hard ride, spheres are most likely the issue. From the photos, the rear end does not appear to be abnormally low, but it would be nice to measure ride height from the bottom of the fender lip to wheel center (click here). The rear should be slightly higher than the front by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Typical numbers for a stock E500E is right around 14 inches, ±1/2 inch, as shown in that photo. The OE wheels with center caps make it easy to measure to center... not so easy with aftermarket wheels.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

If your antenna has the external module that plugs in separately, there is a guy who sells good used ones on eBay for $25. I just bought one to fix the antenna in my wife's E420. See if your E420 has the same style antenna/module, if so, swap the modules to verify the antenna is good. You don't need to remove the antenna from the car, just pull the carpet back. I have not yet determined if it's possible to repair the modules easily or not. There sure isn't much to them, as seen in your photo! The module is NOT available new, AFAIK, from any source.

The 129 E-GAS module should work OK, meaning it should not affect cruise control. Very odd that your cruise doesn't work. It doesn't work even at low speeds, i.e. 30mph, correct? Next step would be to check the switch. A digital scanner can verify that the E-GAS is receiving the proper signals from the switch. If your E420 has ASR, you can swap modules as a test. IIRC, your E420 does not have ASR... if that is the case you CAN NOT swap the modules, don't even try. The number you listed (016-545-14-32) is the LH module, btw.

For a rock-hard ride, spheres are most likely the issue. From the photos, the rear end does not appear to be abnormally low, but it would be nice to measure ride height from the bottom of the fender lip to wheel center (click here). The rear should be slightly higher than the front by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Typical numbers for a stock E500E is right around 14 inches, ±1/2 inch, as shown in that photo. The OE wheels with center caps make it easy to measure to center... not so easy with aftermarket wheels.

Thx Dave. The antenna in the e420 is nonfunctional from a junkyard SEL (and fixed), so no swapping the module. My original mast was vandalized, so I swapped in what I could find for the time being. Guess I'll need to take GVZ and Roma up on their offers, since I need two. I WOULD like to try the module first in the interest of salvaging useable parts; do you remember the ebay sellers user name (no results on a search)?

I'm quite sure now its the spheres that are bad in the rear. I am 230 lbs, and could barely get ANY movement/damping by bouncing on the rear end (maybe a couple inches). The ride height is a little less than 13.5". It looked like the rear struts were replaced with Sachs models when we had it up on the lift (as a resut of the accident I'm sure), and I see they are on the "iffy" list on the safe vendors page. I'm also going to suck that hydraulic fluid out of the SLS reservoir; its as gross as the other fluids.

re: the cruise control, the e500 has ASR, but the e420 doesnt (so no swapping there either). I pulled codes this morning with some interesting readouts:

Pin#4 LH fuel injection = DTC17 no can data trans w ISC/CC
    DTC18 no can data trans w DI mod

Pin #6 ABS & ASR = DTC31 Can data bus to LH-SFI

Pin #7 CC/ISC = DTC5 Stop lamp switch (probably the cause of my cruise problem & some other codes)

DTC6 Starter lockout/backup

DTC7 Can databus

DTC14 Closed throttle position switch

Pin #8 Base module DTC5 Max temp in module box

DTC6 A/C clutch/Vbelt broken

Pin#17 EZL/DI DTC8 Trans overload protection switch wont close

DTC27 LH-SFI malfunction

Pin#30 SRS (who cares ) DTC's 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9

Interestingly, the check engine light is NOT lit. Also pin #19 (Diagnostic module) was solid red, and I couldnt get that condition to change. I cleared as many codes as I could, although the SRS codes would NOT clear at all (had this problem in my e420, eventually they just went away). It will be interesting to see what codes come back/remain after I change the brake light switch (think I have a new one for my e420; dont know if they interchange till I go to the EPC).

Any ideas on the other codes?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The rear SLS hydrolegs should be hydraulic... are the ones on the car standard or SLS? Photo? There should be a hose running to the top of the rear shock.

Rear height of 13.5" is lower than normal, the springs are either not original, or they have been cut. Research required.

Clear all those codes, make SURE they are all clear, and see which ones return. Does the CEL turn on when you turn the key on, before you start the engine?

The rear SLS hydrolegs should be hydraulic... are the ones on the car standard or SLS? Photo? There should be a hose running to the top of the rear shock.

Rear height of 13.5" is lower than normal, the springs are either not original, or they have been cut. Research required.

Clear all those codes, make SURE they are all clear, and see which ones return. Does the CEL turn on when you turn the key on, before you start the engine?

Yup, CEL functioning (checked that when I first saw car). As I said, the SRS ones WOULDNT clear just like in my e420.

The sachs are the hydraulic OEM replacement with the hose. I had a feeling the springs were alerted; just too damn stiff. I looked for a part# or sticker, but didnt see any. I'll investigate further when I can put car back on the lift....

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The 92-93 style has the top locknut, but the grommets cost a small fortune. The other style is the pop in/out, which seems to work fine, and the grommets are cheap. But, you need additional parts to convert. Either way it's not a cheap/easy fix.

OK, new Corteco SLS spheres will be picked up tommorrow along with a filter, fluid, etc. Dave, you mentioned an OE equivalent Lemforder bushing kit and new dust boots for the front control arms; did you happen to have a part#?

I also purchased an entire 1994 e420 today for a price close to what a shipped used rear subframe would have cost me. It will become the donor parts car for the e500/e420 (and its rear sub/springs will restore the 500 from "lowrider" status). Its the same rare Rosewood color as my current 420, so its a shame it failed (dreaded eco-harnesses got it). However, having another functioning driveline is always a good thing. I also bought a new trans mount, shifter bushings, o-rings for my aluminum oiler tubes, OE front struts and mounts, and a few other miscellaneous items. It will be fun seeing the difference installing this stuff makes.......

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Is your donor Rosewood car non-ASR also? If so, you have my blessing to part it out. If it's an ASR car.... ACK!!! Nooooo!

Front LCA bushing kit is p/n 124-330-06-75, two required. A spring compressor is needed to remove the LCA, and special tools are needed to press the new bushings into place (available on eBay etc). Dealer alignment is needed afterwards so try to do all your suspension+steering work at the same time, and only pay for one alignment.

Dust boot... do you mean for the ball joint? That would be 201-330-00-85. Good idea to replace while the LCA is off the car getting new bushings.

Is your donor Rosewood car non-ASR also? If so, you have my blessing to part it out. If it's an ASR car.... ACK!!! Nooooo!

Front LCA bushing kit is p/n 124-330-06-75, two required. A spring compressor is needed to remove the LCA, and special tools are needed to press the new bushings into place (available on eBay etc). Dealer alignment is needed afterwards so try to do all your suspension+steering work at the same time, and only pay for one alignment.

Dust boot... do you mean for the ball joint? That would be 201-330-00-85. Good idea to replace while the LCA is off the car getting new bushings.

Thx Dave, I will find out Thursday on the ASR when I pick it up actually (didnt think to ask) . I'm leaning towards repairing it anyway (after I cannibalize the parts I need for my E500). I have boxes and boxes of replacement parts, probably everything I need. Rosewood rocks.....

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thx Dave, I will find out Thursday on the ASR when I pick it up actually (didnt think to ask) . I'm leaning towards repairing it anyway (after I cannibalize the parts I need for my E500). I have boxes and boxes of replacement parts, probably everything I need. Rosewood rocks.....
    If you have a VIN, shoot that to me via PM and I can check on the options...

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

OK, a large improvement today after replacing my OE SLS spheres with Corteco's. The FSM and GVZ's how-to sticky thread were handy guides, and it was a pretty straightforward install (45 minutes-1 hour from start to finish). After getting those old grenades pulled (that's what they reminded me of), I sucked out every drop of the nastiest hydraulic fluid imaginable (I'm certain it was original). I dont know what the service interval is, but it angers me when I see simple stuff like this neglected.
    IMAG0327.jpg

Anyway, I then cleaned out the black sludge at the bottom of the reservoir (picture the La Brea tar pits) and filled it to the specified level. I fired up the engine, and VIOLA; at least an inch of ride height and damping restored!! The rear struts are fairly fresh Sachs units (probably replaced after the accident), but all in all a big improvement. Once I lose the Gemballa wheels/shot tires, I'm sure the improved ride will get even better. Friday I tear into the front end, replacing all steering and suspension parts with new OEM stuff, as well as replacing the trans mount and trans service/fluid......
    IMAG0329.jpg

Great work, keep it going and keep posting lots of info and photos !

Thx for sharing.
    1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

Good news keep us posted with lots of pics
    500E 1 of 15

Will do folks!! Lots more work to be done (and I haven't even addressed the rear subframe/damage yet). I'm going for the look of this car (looking for these monoblocks now). Love this thing....

500e1992016-620x412.jpg

Update: new rear spheres and accompanying elevated ride height have now made the car MUCH more pleasant to drive. Still concerned about the pump whine, however. I read GVZ's thread on tandem pump rebuild; looks like a MAJOR PITA. Hoping that's not my issue and I can avoid undertaking that chore. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be doing that at the same time I throw in the new aluminum oiler tubes.....

Update: new rear spheres and accompanying elevated ride height have now made the car MUCH more pleasant to drive. Still concerned about the pump whine, however. I read GVZ's thread on tandem pump rebuild; looks like a MAJOR PITA. Hoping that's not my issue and I can avoid undertaking that chore. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be doing that at the same time I throw in the new aluminum oiler tubes.....

Not sure about rebuild itself but the installation/de-installation is REAL PITA.
    There is one hex bolt which is TRULY impossible to get on. You will find out what I m saying trust me
    500E 1 of 15

Not sure about rebuild itself but the installation/de-installation is REAL PITA.
    There is one hex bolt which is TRULY impossible to get on. You will find out what I m saying trust me

I'll really look forward to THAT, Roman......

Retrieved the $800 e420 today. Started it right up (after some minor futzing around), and drove it right onto trailer. Lower eco-crap harness shorting out starter; upper harness is a Delphi, so good to go. This car is FAR too nice to part out, so still searching for rear subframe for the E500. And now I have WAAYY too many W124's.....

IMAG0330.jpg
    Last edited by baviking1; 03-13-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Cursory check on the e420 had a screeching sound coming from the engine when running. A quick peek on the lift revealed that when replacing the starter and lower harness (both brand new), somehow the starter shims were ommitted. I seem to recall the M119 required at LEAST two (which I have), so I'll throw them in first thing in the AM and see if it goes away. Hopefully it will, because we are scheduled to replace all the front end steering/suspension & driveline rubber on the E500 tommorrow......
    IMAG0331.jpg

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Starter shims are based on measurements, per the FSM. It can have 0, 1, or 2 but usually I see 1 or 2 shims.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

The 500E/E500 pump is a tandem pump, 400E/E420 pump is not. They are totally different, the tandem pump has to come off and be resealed on the bench. Not a fun job, btw... the R&R is a PITA and then the actual re-seal is no picnic either. BT, DT. Don't forget to verify which pump you have *before* buying the kit, the two different brands (ZF vs LUK) use different seal kits. I'm looking forward to Gerry's writeup + pictorial on this job!

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    Wow, that's the only time I think I'd be glad to have an E420 instead of a 500E. Disregard. I'm sure Gerry's writeup will comprehensive. Do we have any new WTF avatars? I'm sure it won't be the popcorn avatar if this job is as tough you say. Well, maybe for you it would be the popcorn.
    Exactly. Popcorn for me, sweating & swearing for Gerry. Good times for all!

The tandem pump is not that bad of a job, and honestly the removal of the pump wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be going into it. GSXR kind of had me dreading the job with his snide remarks. The building of the pump itself isn't that bad either. You just need a nice, calm, clean place to do it. And you just take your time. The parts are cheap, too.

However, I would NOT rebuild a pump if you have the LuK pump. Only the ZF pump. GSXR mentions why this is, because of a circlip and the pump shaft, and the potential for cracking off the shaft's flange on the LuK pump, which is weak.

Starter shims are based on measurements, per the FSM. It can have 0, 1, or 2 but usually I see 1 or 2 shims.

I just checked and I only have 1 extra shim, so I'll start there and cross my fingers.....

The tandem pump is not that bad of a job, and honestly the removal of the pump wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be going into it. GSXR kind of had me dreading the job with his snide remarks. The building of the pump itself isn't that bad either. You just need a nice, calm, clean place to do it. And you just take your time. The parts are cheap, too.

However, I would NOT rebuild a pump if you have the LuK pump. Only the ZF pump. GSXR mentions why this is, because of a circlip and the pump shaft, and the potential for cracking off the shaft's flange on the LuK pump, which is weak.

You are infinitely patient, because the pictorial made it LOOK like a nightmare . I will have to go back and re-read the thread
    for ID purposes. If I DO have the LUK pump, is the only viable option to spring the $1300 for a rebuilt?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

A rebuilt LuK pump is available from parts.com for $588 plus core & shipping:
    http://www.parts.com/parts/index.cfm...earch&siteid=2

The other option is to get a used ZF pump and re-seal it. I've had lousy success rate with any of the re-seals... they don't leak badly after the re-seal, but I think every single one weeps a film from the (new) front shaft seal, enough to collect grime on the lower half of the pump body over a year or two. I've been cleaning the shaft with Scotch-Brite where the seal rides, not sure if that is causing problems, or if the tiny ridge on the shafts are causing the leak, or if it's something else entirely. Next time, I think I'll move the seal a few mm inward or outward so it sits on a different area of the shaft.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

The other option is to get a used ZF pump and re-seal it. I've had lousy success rate with any of the re-seals... they don't leak badly after the re-seal, but I think every single one weeps a film from the (new) front shaft seal, enough to collect grime on the lower half of the pump body over a year or two. I've been cleaning the shaft with Scotch-Brite where the seal rides, not sure if that is causing problems, or if the tiny ridge on the shafts are causing the leak, or if it's something else entirely. Next time, I think I'll move the seal a few mm inward or outward so it sits on a different area of the shaft.

Where did you get pump that I bought from you a year ago or so? I believe it was LUK . Did you reseal it yourself ?
    500E 1 of 15

Thx Dave, I'm hoping to get to the 500 tommorrow, but the new e420 held us up a bit today. I installed the second shim on the starter (and rebuilt the lower harness completely), but I'm still getting that contact noise, as well as intermittent ignition (sometimes it will crank, sometimes not). I'm going to replace the neutral safety switch tomm and see if that makes a difference. If I solve that problem, I will start rebuilding the 500 front end. I'll also see if I can trace the source of that whine with the long screwdriver "stethoscope" method...

Where did you get pump that I bought from you a year ago or so? I believe it was LUK . Did you reseal it yourself ?

Received the antennae today Roman. Looks great, thx a lot. I'll first throw the module on the 500 and see if the antennae works (I'm thinking "yes").....

Received the antennae today Roman. Looks great, thx a lot. I'll first throw the module on the 500 and see if the antennae works (I'm thinking "yes").....
    Do not lose seal it was on top of the package I threw it inside at the last minute at the post office. Let us know if your antenna works .

Last edited by Roma_500E; 03-15-2014 at 02:51 AM.
    500E 1 of 15

Do not lose seal it was on top of the package I threw it inside at the last minute at the post office. Let us know if your antenna works .

Got it, and will do Roman.....

OK, what started as an $800 parts car now has become too nice to scrap. After replacing the scorched neutral safety switch (no doubt caused by the shorting lower ecoharness I rebuilt yesterday), the car runs and drives great. I cleared the codes (only 6) and reinstalled the interior. It turned out the engine was fresh (maybe 30k miles?), but reverse has a minor click in it (front clutches?). Exterior/interior cosmetic massaging/resto is next, but first heading back to the lift to begin tearing apart the front end on the 500.......
    IMAG0337.jpg
    IMAG0335.jpg

Great thread!

500E 1 of 15

Since you like a 500e with Monoblocks, I'll attach a pic of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egreaves20 View Post
    My God !!! your car is gorgeous black color is so sharp looking
    500E 1 of 15

Wow that IS a nice one!! Well I am a sucker for black so.....

Egreaves how did you get this ride height?

OK, what started as an $800 parts car now has become too nice to scrap.
    Oh no, you have broken the rules and become attached to your parts car, that's a bit like bringing a turkey home for thanksgiving then giving it a name. The great thing about a good parts car, is that it's full of good parts !

Could you post some photos of your bent subframe when you get it off?

Great work by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Egreaves20 View Post

Dude, that's the dream I'm working towards (KICK-ASS Car!!)!! I'm getting there slowly; I bought a set of E55 monoblocks on Fleabay this week (thx Dave GSXR). They are painted black, so stripping is in order the first part of the week. I tore the tie rods/center link off of the 500 in the afternoon before I had to head off into the sunset to my evening gig. Tommorrow..... "Lemforder" (accept no substitutes) .
    IMAG0336.jpg

My God !!! your car is gorgeous black color is so sharp looking

Ya Roman; dat be da bomb......

Quote Originally Posted by fudgitive View Post
    Oh no, you have broken the rules and become attached to your parts car, that's a bit like bringing a turkey home for thanksgiving then giving it a name. The great thing about a good parts car, is that it's full of good parts !

Could you post some photos of your bent subframe when you get it off?

Great work by the way.

Thx Sir, I most certainly will. It will probably be a little bit, as my local body shop is moving the frame machine up to this location later this week. Wont be able to put on the straight sub until my car is "untweaked".....

The $800 "parts car" turned out to have a TON of work done to it (fresh engine, struts/steering, Delphi harness, etc etc), so I just cant hack it up. Cant afford to keep it either, so I B flippin.....

Dude, that's the dream I'm working towards (KICK-ASS Car!!)!! I'm getting there slowly; I bought a set of E55 monoblocks on Fleabay this week (thx Dave GSXR). They are painted black, so stripping is in order the first part of the week. I tore the tie rods/center link off of the 500 in the afternoon before I had to head off into the sunset to my evening gig. Tommorrow..... "Lemforder" (accept no substitutes) .
    I was told that every time you have your wheels sand blasted (or whatever method is used to remove old paint) , logos in our case AMG becomes not clearly visible. So that is one of the reasons I am against refurbished wheels and extremely careful with my new wheels. So in your case you should be careful around AMG logo on the wheel so that it will not be hurt that much. Unless you are using some other stripping method that does not hurt these logos on the wheel.
    500E 1 of 15

I was told that every time you have your wheels sand blasted (or whatever method is used to remove old paint) , logos in our case AMG becomes not clearly visible. So that is one of the reasons I am against refurbished wheels and extremely careful with my new wheels. So in your case you should be careful around AMG logo on the wheel so that it will not be hurt that much. Unless you are using some other stripping method that does not hurt these logos on the wheel.

I'm not too sure why folks sandblast wheels (for that very reason). The only situation where that's really necessary is when removing powdercoating (dat stuff B hard). I'll start with aircraft stripper (which doesnt remove metal, but is very tedious)......

OK, lots of progress today. First I threw on a new oil pressure sending unit (dropped to zero at idle), and a new transmission mount. Obvious wear between the two.
    IMAG0338.jpg

Next we used the weight of the car and a floor jack to keep the springs compressed so that we could pull out the control arms.
    IMAG0339.jpg
    Once those were out, I gave them a good pressure washing and removed the bushings with an air chisel.
    IMAG0342.jpg
    The Lemforder bushings were then readied and pressed into the arms, along with new dust booties for the ball joints (which looked surprisingly good).
    IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0344.jpg

I felt guilty almost immediately that I didnt paint them (even though the rest of the car is normal greasy), so I stopped there for the day. Picking up some VHT epoxy paint tonight, and will clean them with lacquer thinner, tape off the new bushings/boots, and get them shiny new before reinstall with new tie rods, struts etc.....