Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone thrilled about any car transport companies?

Re: Anyone thrilled about any car transport companies?

I have shipped a ton of cars over the years, more than probably 99% of the population.

All I can say is, God help you. It is a terrible industry with basically zero accountability for on-time performance and damage to your vehicle.

The more you pay, the better the service will likely be. Guys with enclosed trailers are generally better/more careful with your car. If the car is not picked up quickly, you're probably not paying enough for the route.

Brokers will always try to (a) win your job with the low bid, even if it is way too low to actually move the car, and (b) run interference on your job once you leave them for another broker (usually because weeks go by and the car isn't being picked up).

UShip is a crap shoot, just like using a broker you found online. I have used it 5 times to ship cars. I won't do it again. The only benefit is getting to pay the UShip fee.

If you are lucky enough to find a small family owned trucking company that will do the actual transport, that is probably your best bet. You will likely pay more, but there will probably be less nonsense.

Make sure to get tons of photos of the car just before/just as it's picked up. Get a ton more after it's delivered. Insurance claims are no fun, the broker will wash their hands of the issue and leave you to deal with the trucker's insurance company.

A friend had an issue where his car was supposed to be delivered in 4 days, but ended up being delivered 10 days after pickup. A few of the car's panels had been repainted en-route to the delivery point, because the trucker damaged the car so they quickly found a body shop and did a rush job on it. A very similar thing happened to my parents when moving cross-country, one of their cars was damaged and repainted prior to delivery.

Shipping a vehicle is the worst part of the buying experience. If it's valuable to you, try to get a plane ticket and drive it home.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BahnStorm; 04-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BahnStorm For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (04-21-2017), gsxr (04-21-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by BahnStorm View Post
    If it's valuable to you, try to get a plane ticket and drive it home.
    Amen !!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-21-2017), makemann (04-21-2017)

E500E Guru

I If it's valuable to you, try to get a plane ticket and drive it home.

Good luck.
    That presents its own set of challenges that often requires a lot of luck. I buy many cars unseen from out of state. I would never consider getting into a car I just bought and know nothing about and driving it back 1000 + miles unless it was brand spanking new. It rarely works out cheaper if things go perfectly and if they don't, it's difficult to be prepared for mechanical issues en route, let alone the stuff you see on Criminal Minds.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

If you pay the money up front at time of purchase to buy the best possible car, and do the research, I've NEVER had a problem with any car I've purchased. I've bought at least a dozen Benzes over the years, most all of them (a 560SEL and 300SEL 6.3 excepted) purchased remotely and driven long distance home. And NEVER had a single problem.

With Benzes you develop a sixth sense as to whether a car has good bones or not. I recently seriously examined and considered purchasing a white over palomino 1991 560SEL with around 60K miles on it, that was located in Annapolis, Maryland. I looked at the car two times and did a fairly decent walkaround and walkthrough both times. Despite the low miles, Florida provenance until a couple of years ago, and modest maintenance history with the car, I decided against buying it simply because I didn't feel it had good bones.

Other cars I've bought have had zero maintenance history, but have had good bones, and I've not hesitated to purchase them and drive them hundreds or thousands of miles home.

Cardinal rule though -- ALWAYS look at a car in person. NEVER buy sight unseen. Experience in Benz ownership provides the sixth sense that makes the go/no-go decision to buy.

Second cardinal rule -- ALWAYS spend the money up front to get the very best car possible, rather than thinking one is getting "a deal" and will make the investment post-purchase to "bring it up to par." Never a recipe for ownership-experience happiness nor success, 80% of the time.

Personally, I would never buy a car unless it was mechanically good enough at time of purchase to drive anywhere, but that's just me. Of course mechanical failures can happen with ANY old car at any time after purchase, but I've never had an issue.

I've always found that the initial "drive home" with a new car provides a great bonding experience and allows one to shake things down and identify issues. One example: when I got my G-wagen back in summer 2014 from the SF Bay Area, I found driving over the Sierra Mountains and through Yosemite that the truck had a weak fan clutch. I replaced it almost immediately upon arriving in Houston. Fan clutch wasn't a catastrophic mechanical failure, but it was something that did need attention so that the vehicle could operate to spec.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Maui (04-21-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Personally, I would never buy a car unless it was mechanically good enough at time of purchase to drive anywhere, but that's just me. Of course mechanical failures can happen with ANY old car at any time after purchase, but I've never had an issue. ... I've always found that the initial "drive home" with a new car provides a great bonding experience and allows one to shake things down and identify issues.
    You also don't want to be 2000 miles away from home and have a serious breakdown, stranded far from the nearest competent MB dealer or indy. If planning to drive a long distance home in a 'new' car... shell out for a GOOD, really good, PPI and let the shop know the car will be taken on a long trip. Of course that still doesn't guarantee anything - but it should help identify glaring issues before you get behind the wheel the first time.

This is the flip side of transport risk... sure, there is risk with transport, just different risk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (04-21-2017)

E500E Guru

Personally, I would never buy a car unless it was mechanically good enough at time of purchase to drive anywhere, but that's just me. Of course mechanical failures can happen with ANY old car at any time after purchase, but I've never had an issue.
    That's what I'm talking about. When considering the cost of airfare, time off, fuel (I don't buy the most fuel efficient cars) and hotel. It's already not worth it for me. Even a flat tire can screw you up if you're in the wrong spot. It boils down to experience. I may have shipped 40 cars in the last 10 years, all open and have only ran into two problems.

1) 1974 Jensen Interceptor which was a project car and had no brakes, purchased in South Florida and shipped to Dallas. The driver used the hydraulics on his double decker trailer in place of a winch and got his sequencing wrong which lead to the car rolling back and not quite falling off. Insurance paid 4x what I paid for the car to repair the damage.
    2) 1998 SL500 that I bought in LA and shipped to Dallas. Driver was rude about not getting a tip (did not know I needed to tip owner operators).

Both shipments cost about $500 which was the going rate for open transport on those routes. The drivers had DOT / MC #'s posted on the side of their trucks which meant they were licensed and insured. Given the risks that can occur and the relative low cost. It makes little sense for me drive and deal with any aggro that can happen en route when I don't have access to parts or tools. Spending $3000 for a premium shipper makes even less sense to me as the money would be better spent by paying a little extra to find a local car. Again, there's no right answer, it's just a matter of experience and comfort level.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-21-2017)

I like to break the rules. I've purchased five Mercedes and two chevy muscle cars sight unseen and six out of the seven were and are great cars. The only one that wasn't was definitely the one where I let my defenses down. Never buy an ebay car without seeing and driving it. The riskiest one was my black (repaint) 1992 500E, but it has turned out to be the cream of my crop. A forum member reviewed the car for me. The least risky purchase, in my mind, was the 1995 Wagon because I knew its history and the previous two owners maintained the car impeccably. I followed that car on this forum for years wishing some day I could own it. I purchased the imperial red E500 sight unseen but it was essentially a one owner car and I purchased it solely because of the rare color combo. I expected wear and tear on a 212k mile car from the NE but it too has turned out to be a very decent car and getting better every day. But, don't look at my experiences as the way to make decisions. I'm not your average car collector and I could afford to take the risks. All that being said, there is no replacement for seeing and driving the car before you purchase. As Gerry said you kind of develop a sense for things when you've done this enough times.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon
    2011 E550 4Matic

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

Glen (04-21-2017), gsxr (04-21-2017)

All make very good sense and agree that there's no one right answer each time. I would definitely PPI, fly, look in person, and drive home if the car were at least on the same coast. FL-WA distance just didn't work. I did fly over once before, met the seller at a dealer, and planned on PPI before driving it home. Instead I used my sixth sense and just flew back without PPI. No regrets at all and the best decision I've ever made in my hunting experience. All part of the fun. I did purchase a Benz sight unseen about 9 years ago and turned out to be a very good one which I am about to sell (not E500E). I used a premium transport co to ship it from midwest to WA back then and probably spent about the same amount or perhaps less than what I was just quoted for FL to WA enclosed using a broker. 2nd day waiting and no bite from a trucker yet for FL pickup to WA.

The PPI is the key. If you get a decent PPI, the chances of having Murphy for a passenger on the road trip home are dramatically reduced.

Shipping agreement was signed with a broker (no deposit required) and the car has been sitting for a week with no available pickup date yet. Is this common for shipping via brokers? I guess FL to WA is just not a popular route. I will give another week or so but when should I really look into an alternate shipping company/broker? Passport now says 4 weeks for a pickup and even raised their price slightly since my last phone inquiry.

At delivery do you guys tip and how much do you usually tip the driver? I don't recall how much I tipped almost 10 years ago for my previous enclosed shipping. Thanks.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Pickup time varies... but I hear that transporting out of Florida in springtime is very popular as snowbirds migrate north for the summer. Might just be lousy timing for that particular route. Increasing the bid will speed things up if you really want it moved quickly. The Passport quote of 4 weeks does not sound normal to me.

Regarding tipping... I was not aware of this, and had never done it previously. Usually, the driver is in a hurry to pack up his rig and get back on the road. I'm curious how many folks have either tipped drivers, or had a driver hang out fishing for one. Maybe the cars I've had transported (usually in sad shape, some barely running) looked sorry enough they figured I didn't have spare dough to tip with, lol...

E500E Guru

if you're having trouble getting the car picked up, then it's either off the beaten path or the terms are good for the driver/
    I caught some cr@p once from a driver for not tipping. I'm not accustomed to tipping haulers and don't see a need to.

Quote Originally Posted by S500E View Post
    Shipping agreement was signed with a broker (no deposit required) and the car has been sitting for a week with no available pickup date yet. Is this common for shipping via brokers? I guess FL to WA is just not a popular route. I will give another week or so but when should I really look into an alternate shipping company/broker? Passport now says 4 weeks for a pickup and even raised their price slightly since my last phone inquiry.

At delivery do you guys tip and how much do you usually tip the driver? I don't recall how much I tipped almost 10 years ago for my previous enclosed shipping. Thanks.
    I had the same problem getting my 500E shipped from Atlanta to Portland. After no pick up for over two weeks I ended up shipping it to LA and then from LA to Portland. It worked out well for me because it arrived in LA in time for the E500E get together, so I flew down and went to the get together. I had it shipped to Leistung Autohaus and had Matt do a few maintenance items while it was in LA.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon
    2011 E550 4Matic

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Pickup time varies... but I hear that transporting out of Florida in springtime is very popular as snowbirds migrate north for the summer. Might just be lousy timing for that particular route. Increasing the bid will speed things up if you really want it moved quickly. The Passport quote of 4 weeks does not sound normal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
    if you're having trouble getting the car picked up, then it's either off the beaten path or the terms are good for the driver/
    I caught some cr@p once from a driver for not tipping. I'm not accustomed to tipping haulers and don't see a need to.
    Exactly… lot of snowbirds migrating back and terms are good. 4 weeks for pickup unless a snowbird cancels according to Passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    I had the same problem getting my 500E shipped from Atlanta to Portland. After no pick up for over two weeks I ended up shipping it to LA and then from LA to Portland. It worked out well for me because it arrived in LA in time for the E500E get together, so I flew down and went to the get together. I had it shipped to Leistung Autohaus and had Matt do a few maintenance items while it was in LA.
    Over 2 weeks? No rush but don't want to let it sit too long. Do I suggest raising the bid to Kathy first?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Contact the other three firms I mentioned (all highly reputable) via phone, and see if they can get you a better pickup time.

Time is money. It would be worth it to me to spend an extra $500 to have a car picked up in a week or so, as opposed to having it sit for a month waiting for a truck.

Also, the transport companies I spoke to / got bids from tended to quote ~2 weeks, but this was a "worst case" pickup scenario. I think my pickup ended up being about a week after I signed the contract, and was comfortably within the 2-week window. That said, I was getting a pickup from a major East Coast metro area and going to a major Southern metro area.

Cheers,
    Gerry

I am looking for an inexpensive transport company that go from Washington to San Diego.
    Anyone know any company?
    Greatly appreciated.

I have shipped a ton of cars over the years, more than probably 99% of the population.

All I can say is, God help you. It is a terrible industry with basically zero accountability for on-time performance and damage to your vehicle.

The more you pay, the better the service will likely be. Guys with enclosed trailers are generally better/more careful with your car. If the car is not picked up quickly, you're probably not paying enough for the route.
    Sorry, I don't have an inexpensive shipper to recommend.

I've used Intercity 3 times and had a great experience each time. And yes I paid for it $$$$ but they sure did deliver exceptional service and communication.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-29-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    I am looking for an inexpensive transport company that go from Washington to San Diego.
    Anyone know any company?
    Greatly appreciated.
    See post #52 earlier in this thread.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Stevester 500E (06-27-2017), TerryA (06-29-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

My recommendation is to pay good money for good quality transportation. Cheaping out will result in a disappointing experience ... or worse when it comes to the condition of the car on the other end, and fighting the transport company on a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

jhodg5ck (06-28-2017)

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

My recommendation is to pay good money for good quality transportation. Cheaping out will result in a disappointing experience ... or worse when it comes to the condition of the car on the other end, and fighting the transport company on a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Plus eleventybillion.

SO many sketch ball transporters running around now. No time for that.
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (06-28-2017), TerryA (06-29-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

For a $30k car, I totally agree... shell out the ±$3k for proper transport.

But when you are transporting a $5k car... there are affordable options which are low risk. Kathy (discussed in post #52) can locate a company that meets your needs either way. As mentioned earlier, if you are looking for a bargain transport, it may take weeks or months before a driver is willing to take a low bid. If the transport can't wait that long, you're kinda stuck paying market price either way.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-29-2017)

Now a satisfied happy customer of Passport.

Kathy @ Certified Auto Shippers was easy to work with but was just unable to locate a driver at almost too good to be true price

Recent Seattle Times article or story on premium "Auto shippers." Mention of Intercity Lines, Thomas C. Sunday, Passport Transport, White Lightning Auto Transport of Puyallup: http://www.seattletimes.com/nwshowca...cious-cargoes/

Thomas C. Sunday also provided pampering service for me about 10 years ago

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S500E For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I'll say it again. It's a very very shady industry. I've cheaped out with brokers/no-name shippers, and gone with reputable companies.

I'll never go with anything BUT a reputable company again. Superior experience in every way.

With brokers, it's Russian roulette as to what/who you're going to get. And car damage and the ensuing hassles are not worth the time and effort, and money saved in the first place.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Article posted below....

Auto shippers specialize in precious cargoes

Originally published June 6, 2017 at 11:41 am
    A 1954 Packard Pacific hardtop is loaded for its trip from Seattle to Garwood, New Jersey. (GENE STOUT / SPECIAL TO AUTOS)

Haulers can deliver your baby on open transport, or pamper it in enclosed trailer.

By Gene Stout
    Special to Autos

You finally found your dream car, a 1969 Jaguar E-type in Carmine Red with black leather. And the price is right. But you’re in Seattle, and the car is in Boston.

You wouldn’t think of a grueling cross-country road trip with your newly purchased prize, even if you had the time and the car was up to the journey.

So someone else will have to do the heavy lifting and hauling. But who? Fortunately, there are dozens of carriers who transport collector cars as well as personal vehicles. But be sure to do your homework.

You’ll want to know how much it will cost and how long it will take.

For a collectible or enthusiast car, whether it’s 1959 Rambler or a six-figure Lamborghini, experts say it’s important to find an auto transport company that will give your vehicle the kid-glove treatment it deserves.

“Unfortunately some of the drivers out there treat collectible cars like they’re just freight,” says custom sport-car builder and restorer Jim Simpson of Whidbey Island. “That’s really not OK.”

Simpson is the owner of Simpson Designs, which started in Texas and has been in business more than 40 years. In addition to restorations, he and his crew design and build one-off sports cars for well-heeled clients who expect cars to arrive in pristine condition.

Simpson ships four to 10 cars a year, many of them cross-country. Among the auto transporters he uses are Intercity Lines, Thomas C. Sunday, Passport Transport, White Lightning Auto Transport of Puyallup and a local guy for shorter hauls.

Though enclosed trailers are safer, Simpson says he’s never had an issue shipping a car on an open trailer. “In all the years we’ve been doing this, I have never had a car damaged on an open carrier,” he says. “But yes, they show up filthy a lot of times.”

Some top-rated auto transporters will secure a car with web straps that go over the tires.

“If you have a restored car, do you really want to put a chain over a freshly detailed frame?” Simpson says. “Of course not.” So what does it cost to ship a collectible car cross-country?

“For an open transport to go from here to Philadelphia, it would kind of be in the $1,700 to $1,800 range,” Simpson says. “And in an enclosed trailer, it would be about $2,400 to $4,000, depending on who is doing it.”

Intercity Lines, based in Warren, Massachusetts, charges $2,495 to ship a car from the Northeast to the Northwest in one of its plush, enclosed “air ride” trailers — slightly less in the opposite direction. But other variables, including scheduling and the size of the vehicle, can affect rates.

“Going east we need cars, so we run at a discounted $2,295,” says Dean Wilson, vice president of marketing for the company founded by his parents, David and Linda Wilson, in 1980.

Intercity Lines, a favorite carrier of car collector and former “Tonight Show” host Jay Leno, as well as Wayne Carini of TV’s “Chasing Classic Cars,” has expanded its presence in the Northwest and is now working with Ferrari North America to deliver cars to Northwest dealerships.

When searching for a carrier, most people use Google, which often leads them to brokers and not directly to quality carriers. “A broker will typically be able to time the service a little better and be a little cheaper, but you don’t know the actual carrier that’s going to transport your car, what their standards are and what their equipment is like,” Wilson says.

“And if something goes wrong, you could be chasing two different companies who are playing the blame game with each other, instead of dealing with a reputable carrier that’s going to do what it takes to make it right,” he says.

IS EVERYTHING SHIP-SHAPE?

• Never fill the gas tank. Why risk a leak?
    • Check the antifreeze, especially if the carrier is traveling through mountain passes.
    • Check the tire pressure for safe loading and unloading.
    • Secure loose items in the vehicle.
    • Turn off the alarm. Why risk a dead battery?

AND DON’T FORGET …

• Does the company have insurance that covers its cargo? Ask to see the policy.
    • Does the carrier have a U.S. Department of Transportation number? Is it following all federal regulations?
    • Find out where your car will be delivered, since many 18-wheelers can’t negotiate narrow streets.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Read post #81 again in case anyone missed it. Premium transport for a cheap car is just not worth it, and for many people is simply not in the budget.

Anyway: Last time I needed transport I contacted the "premium" places for a quote from FL to ID:

Intercity response was "We could not offer you good availability with timing on this move as this is not a normal route for us. Thanks."

Reliable quoted ~$2600 and 3-5 week time frame.

McCollisters quoted $3000 and did not specify time frame.

Passport... I can't find the quote info, IIRC their website may not have given a quote but instead given a message similar to Intercity ("we don't like your origin and/or destination").

I ended up using Kathy (broker) who connected me with MBL Express, $1550 total for open transport. Car arrived undamaged.

Sure, I'd love enclosed white-glove treatment but a ±$1500 premium for it is simply out of my financial means. Again, if I buying a $30-$50k car, it would make sense as insurance (primarily for hard-sided enclosed, protection from the elements)... but cars in that price range are also out of my financial means.

"Ballin' on a Budget / Cheapskate Dave"

I personally have very little need for transport companies.
    I have bought 1 car sight unseen and had it transported. What a mistake. Never again.
    From then on, I fly out to inspect the car before I purchase and then drive it home.
    I have done this with cars costing from 8K to 50K+.
    Now, I'm not buying Model Ts. Mostly Benzes from the '60s to the early '00s.
    If they're not suitable to drive a distance, I'm not interested anyway.
    Yes I have experienced a breakdown, but so what? Triple A, Hagerty, etc all have policies for this. It's part of the experience.
    Ok, off my soapbox, but guys, get out there and enjoy your cars. Nothing like a road trip to get to know your new ride.
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), sheward (4 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Nothing like a road trip to get to know your new ride.
    I would actually enjoy the road trip, assuming the car passed a PPI beforehand and was reasonably confident it would make the trip back. In my case, the cost of travel (flight out, fuel, hotels, etc) exceeded the cost of transport, plus I would have to burn 3-5 days of vacation time from work. If I were buying a well-maintained car from a known entity, and driving during good weather, the road trip would be a blast.

But anyways - most of the time I am transporting a basket case that is barely running and could never survive a road trip. Which also means the car was relatively cheap, and also means the ROI on premium transport doesn't make sense. Several times I was transporting a parts car that would move under its own power.

VERY much depends on your personal needs, along with the condition of the car. Which is something that is often not mentioned with the premium transport recommendations.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've certainly purchased quite a number of cars and driven then home (too many trips from the Bay Area to Portland, and from the Bay Area to Texas to count). No doubt that is the best way to bond with a new ride. But time doesn't always allow for this. But yeah, definitely that is my preference, too. When I moved from Portland to Texas, I ended up driving three of my cars (560SL, 560SEC and E320 wagon) from the West Coast to Houston, and I transported my E500. Wouldn't have traded those trips for anything.

Dave's point rings true - if I was transporting a rolling parts car, definitely I would go with a cheaper/open transport company. But for a "keeper" car, it's white-glove time. For my next/upcoming move, later this year, I'll be transporting two of my cars, and driving three of them from Houston to my new home. Even thinking of a fourth road-trip too, with my cycle.

I've NEVER purchased a car remotely without seeing and driving it first -- and never would.

Cheers,
    Gerry

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I've NEVER purchased a car remotely without seeing and driving it first -- and never would.
    Come to think of it... almost every single one of my cars has been purchased sight unseen!! And almost all were delivered via transport. Our silver E500 and smoke silver 500E were bought sight-unseen and road-tripped back from CA to ID circa 2004 and 2010 respectively.

Every other car we currently have registered / insured was bought sight-unseen and transported in. We just don't have a good selection of MB's here in the tater fields, and I don't have the time/$$$ to travel and inspect in person. I rely on emailed photos for cosmetics, and just deal with the inevitable mechanical maladies that arrive.

We're at total opposite ends of the spectrum, lol!!

Attached Images Attached Images

I got an $1800 quote a couple of weeks ago for Intercity to ship a W211 CDI from Houston to Bay Area. Used Intercity a few times and always satisfied but for my teenage son mobile its a big price penalty to pay on a $3k to $5k car for this particular purchase. So I am more in the GSXR range of things on this purchase where I need to focus on a local find or something less than 10 hours away driving.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoD View Post
    I got an $1800 quote a couple of weeks ago for Intercity to ship a W211 CDI from Houston to Bay Area. Used Intercity a few times and always satisfied but for my teenage son mobile its a big price penalty to pay on a $3k to $5k car for this particular purchase. So I am more in the GSXR range of things on this purchase where I need to focus on a local find or something less than 10 hours away driving.
    Buying local is ALWAYS preferred if possible. In San Jose area, you should have a plethora of choices in every year, model, color combo, condition, option package, price, etc...

47. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (4 Weeks Ago)

I browse SF Area Craigs all the time, there is a lot of used MB selection up there.

E500E Guru

I think that ya'll might be taking this too seriously. Texas to Bay Area should cost $700 open transport. Open transport is the method of transport that all new and used car dealers use to ship cars around the country. You'll get much faster service by selecting an open carrier because there are about 100:1 ratio. It's very very very unlikely that anything happen, however in the unlikely event, insurance will kick in.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

Go for UShip, We Will Transport It, and American Shipping. These are some best transport companies in US.