Thread: Code 182 Safety fuel-shut off??

E500E Guru

Code 182 Safety fuel-shut off??

Does anyone know what triggers this re-occuring code?

While we are at it- 005 EGR

- 009 Control Module ~ I guess that is the LH module is either bad or a bad fuse??

Michael

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Code 182 Safety fuel-shut off??

Need to know what module each code is from, and what symptoms there are (hard starting? rough idle? low power? etc)...

This must be code from EA system? Throttle actuator sends signal to LH, see info from WIS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

E500E Guru

Verified codes this weekend with the blink method..

I have on pin 7 code 2 and code 11. Code 11 says fuel shut off. If I understand Clark correctly, it has a simplified ETA for a non-asr car and either the module or actuator might be a problem. Here's what he sent for code 2:
    Both ASR and NON ASR cars have ECU modules

The ASR is, obviously an ASR module

NON ASR is a ISC/CC module, idle speed control/cruise control

ASR...................N4/1 module
    ISC/CC............. N4/3 module

Michael
    Last edited by samiam44; 08-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myarmar View Post
    This must be code from EA system? Throttle actuator sends signal to LH, see info from WIS.
    Okay, folks, I need some help with our 1995 E420. Found this old post (#3) referring to an 1100rpm limit which seems to fit my situation.

Problem is consistently repeatable: I start the car in the morning and it idles fine. A little fast but fine. But I can't drive away because it won't rev past 1100rpm. From the post I'm quoting, this 1100rpm limit seems to point to the fuel safety cutoff.

The thing is, if I let the car warm completely up at idle, then shut if off for 45 minutes, it will then start and run perfectly for the rest of the day.

I've checked and cleared codes with a friend's laptop setup, a very new experience for me. Four codes recurred:

1. From LH: EZ1 does not answer (I cannot find anything anywhere about this 'EZ1')

2. From DM: 022 camshaft position sensor EZ1(?)

3. and 4. From EFP/TPM/ISC: 096 starter lockout and reverse lamp switch s16/3 and, 182 safety fuel shutoff switch signal for lh n3/1

As I said, this is consistently and reliably repeatable. Can anyone help? FYI, car has new upper harness.

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

UGH, sorry to see this for you Mike. A while back you found it necessary to replace the fuel pump relay under the seat is that right? Also have you removed each module in the can box, checking for corrosion etc., proper seating in their receptacles. Have you tried swapping the module (LH) with a known car that does not have the problem? Do you have ASR?
    Last edited by nocfn; 04-02-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

nocfn is right - start by removing & re-seating all the modules. And, check the fuses in the BM/GM module too, for grins.

Your friend's laptop shows odd names for the modules. EZ1 = EZL / DI (ignition). EFP/TPM/ISC is the E-GAS module (or, T/LLR for non-ASR). Upper harness is not likely related.

Did this problem begin after something was done to the engine, or did it start out of the clear blue? Also, does your E420 have ASR or not?

nocfn:
    - Turned out to be a fuel pump, not the relay. Pump was replaced.
    - I have pulled all the modules but only checked the male pins for corrosion. They looked good to me.
    - I don't have access to a spare LH module.
    - No ASR.

gsxr:
    - modules pulled and reseated. Pulled all four fuses and checked with ohm meter - good.
    - Friend has the chinese version of SDS, I think. So, EZ1 = EZL? Two comments about that: The laptop said EZ1/EZ2 not communicating. I know there is only one EZL so I wonder what this means? Also, I have a spare EZL and have swapped it in with no change in symptoms.
    - The change came out of the blue, though the actual onset was different than the current problem. Wife took the car to work and within two blocks was stranded with the 1100rpm limit. By the time i got to her to swap cars, it ran fine. This is how I discovered letting it sit and heat soak enables the successful restart.
    - No ASR.

Thanks for helping, guys.

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Code 182 Safety fuel-shut off??

I have a spare but it's for asr. Lowman had an issue and he had some broken wires where they connect at each module at can box. Soldering them where broken fixes it obviously. He has hundreds of threads, but early posts may shed light on what his issue was and his fix in the cam box.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

luckymike (04-02-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
    - modules pulled and reseated. Pulled all four fuses and checked with ohm meter - good.
    - Friend has the chinese version of SDS, I think. So, EZ1 = EZL? Two comments about that: The laptop said EZ1/EZ2 not communicating. I know there is only one EZL so I wonder what this means? Also, I have a spare EZL and have swapped it in with no change in symptoms.
    - The change came out of the blue, though the actual onset was different than the current problem. Wife took the car to work and within two blocks was stranded with the 1100rpm limit. By the time i got to her to swap cars, it ran fine. This is how I discovered letting it sit and heat soak enables the successful restart.
    Yep, EZ1 = EZL. The communication problem is probably with the Chinese SDS multiplexer, but double-check that he has selected the 124.034/.036 chassis in the menu. If the EZL was truly defective, the car would not start or run. M120 cars have two EZL's, which is why the SDS is referencing EZ1 and EZ2, but this would not apply to the M119 of course.

A remote possibility is a bad connection for pin #17 at the diagnostic port... check that and see if the socket looks clean and normal. Swapping EZL's has pretty much proved the EZL is not the issue. Seems you may have a CAN transmission problem, or other wiring glitch... maybe?

Module swapping is the easiest way to diagnose weirdness like this, but if you don't have known-good spares handy, that isn't helpful. I really recommend keeping known-good spares around for the modules if you can obtain them at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Yep, EZ1 = EZL. The communication problem is probably with the Chinese SDS multiplexer, but double-check that he has selected the 124.034/.036 chassis in the menu. If the EZL was truly defective, the car would not start or run. M120 cars have two EZL's, which is why the SDS is referencing EZ1 and EZ2, but this would not apply to the M119 of course.

A remote possibility is a bad connection for pin #17 at the diagnostic port... check that and see if the socket looks clean and normal. Swapping EZL's has pretty much proved the EZL is not the issue. Seems you may have a CAN transmission problem, or other wiring glitch... maybe?

Module swapping is the easiest way to diagnose weirdness like this, but if you don't have known-good spares handy, that isn't helpful. I really recommend keeping known-good spares around for the modules if you can obtain them at a reasonable price.

Thank you, gsxr. I will begin keeping my eyes open for spares.

This morning I stretched an extension cord across the street and used a blow dryer to heat up the cam position sensor on the left bank. I'm pretty good at the M117 tech but a real beginner on the M119. My thinking was that since I had an 022 code (cam position sensor), and that the car runs perfectly after a 45 minute heat soak, maybe I could try tricking some of the various sensors.

Heating the cps didn't do anything. But while I had that small cover in front of the air cleaner cover off, I pulled the temp sensor connector just to check for corrosion. I was stunned to discover that the male pins inside the sensor are able to rotate completely around, like they're not connected to anything. i have a known good spare and will install it tomorrow morning.

If that doesn't change anything, I'll reinstall the spare EZL to check again if it helps.

gsxr: Do you have input on the 182 code, safety fuel shutoff? Post #3 of this thread mentions it along with an 1100rpm limit which is right where my car has its problem.

Stay tuned.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Was it the 2-pin coolant sensor, or the 4-pin? The 2-pin is primarily used for the HVAC system. The 4-pin is for the EZL and LH module. I'd have expected an error code if the 4-pin sensor was defective.

I am really not sure about the fuel safety shutoff error code. The DTC code says it's a signal to the LH, not from, which makes me wonder about your T/LLR module or the ETA. The cam position sensor code would be on the EZL, so you also have to pull codes from the EZL... if your friend's SDS won't work, use a blink-code reader at pin 17 to pull blink codes. The DM is just passing along emissions-related codes, but if DM code 22 keeps recurring, something is fishy with the CMP.

You haven't mentioned your ETA age... if it's original, that is potentially the source of code 182. I'd rule out everything else first though, replacement late-datecode non-ASR ETA's are hard to find.

Well, drat. The known good FOUR-pin sensor didn't make a difference.

So I plugged in my spare, known good EZL. No difference. The car just won't rev past 1100 rpm until it has heat soaked for 45 minutes.

I semi know a mechanic in town. I'll drop by and see if he has an LH and/or T/LLR module I can borrow.
    Not knowing how this system works yet, I still feel like this 1100 rpm limit should be a clue.

I didn't get a blink code on 17 but will try it again when the car gets back tonight.

And yes, the 22 seems to be recurring. To be clear, it appeared on the first code pull. We erased it then I returned to the friend's house the next day and it was there again.

Summary:

1. I will try a couple spare modules as soon as I can.
    2. I will report back with ETA code.
    3. I'll check for blink code on 17.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

It is REALLY odd that the issue goes away (completely?) after 45 minutes.

Do you have a spare CMP to try swapping in? I doubt it's at fault though. I'm becoming more suspicious of the ETA, which based on the FSM description in post 3, appears to be the source of the fuel-cutoff signal..?

Blink code on 17 would help - also see if any codes from pin 17 come back immediately after clearing.

Yes. It's odd, alright. And SO consistent.

Is CMP the cam position sensor? No, I don't have a spare.

I'll check 17 tonight.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Correct:

CMP = cam position sensor
    CKP = crank position sensor

Checked all codes. Nothing on 17, so nothing to clear.

Found these numbers on ETA: 94M03, 409.226 3/6

Does that mean it's a '94 ETA?

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

March of 94, I would say yes
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yes. Anything after about 07/08 (July/August) of 1993 date code would be considered a "1994" US model year ETA.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    March of 94, I would say yes
    Yup, March 1994 date code. Keep in mind that 1994 USA model year vehicles were generally produced between 7/93 and 06/94 (give or take a month; sometimes two). And, the modules and parts used on the car are typically dated several months PRIOR to the vehicle build date.

Anyway - your ETA is likely original. After ruling out other items (need to cure the CMP code, which is not ETA related); the ETA would move up the suspect list.

New information:

I used a blow dryer this morning to heat both sides of the ETA. Car started great, as usual, but this time didn't have the (these days) slightly elevated high idle. I slowly raised the revs to see what would happen at 1100. Nothing! Engine revved freely.

I do not understand how this can be but have to assume something is wrong with the ETA. Heat definitely cures the 1100rpm problem.

I'll go to work either searching out a new one or attempting to repair mine. I'll touch base when I have further info.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your help.

PS. gsxr: The CMP code didn't return yesterday.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to luckymike For This Useful Post:

nocfn (04-04-2017)

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Mike it would seem that hairdryers were an option on the E420.

Glad you found a potential fix, was it the wiring at the eta you heated or the assembly itself?
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

I guess the ETA itself. I just stuck the nozzle of the blow dryer down each side where it would reach.

EUREKA.

On a whim, I grabbed the wiring harness that goes to the ETA and wiggled it in different directions while my wife manned the starter. I found a sweet spot where the car functions perfectly.

So, I feel confident it is bad wiring inside the harness and now I can make plans to take the car out of service and try my hand at replacing all those wires.

It's so sweet when these cars run right.

Thanks to all who helped on this.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luckymike For This Useful Post:

500AMM (04-18-2017), gsxr (04-11-2017), nocfn (04-11-2017)

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

good job Mike! Should not be rocket science, I found nothing magic about the harness I removed and rebuilt. Not like this is a spoiler lip or anything.....
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    good job Mike! Should not be rocket science, I found nothing magic about the harness I removed and rebuilt. Not like this is a spoiler lip or anything.....
    HAHA! You have no idea. I just about went insane trying to figure out the 3D end pieces today. I never was successful. Had to take a break.

E500E Guru

Bear in mind that you can still buy the ETA pigtail wire harness new from MB for cheap. (Around $20) This is an early type harness pictured. So this will only work if you have the large pancake connector plug.

IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1027.JPG

But since your’s has degrading wiring I’m betting your ETA has the newer type ETA plug correct? (If so I'm guessing it's also still available but under a different part number)

See here for how to tell the difference in Early VS late ETA plugs.
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

500AMM (04-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    Bear in mind that you can still buy the ETA pigtail wire harness new from MB for cheap. (Around $20) This is an early type harness pictured. So this will only work if you have the large pancake connector plug.

IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1027.JPG

But since your’s has degrading wiring I’m betting your ETA has the newer type ETA plug correct? (If so I'm guessing it's also still available but under a different part number)

See here for how to tell the difference in Early VS late ETA plugs.
    jc220, this is very exciting news. I do have the newer type ETA plug and am having trouble finding a part number for the harness. Can you help?

E500E Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
    jc220, this is very exciting news. I do have the newer type ETA plug and am having trouble finding a part number for the harness. Can you help?
    Yes no problem I'll be on my EPC at home later tonight so I'll see if I can find the later type ETA pigtail PN.

Would you mind posting your VIN here - or PM 'ing it to me if you prefer? It will make the search a little easier.
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If anyone can locate the late-style pigtail p/n, that would be great. I've never been able to find that p/n!!

E500E Guru

Sorry luckymike, I tried but cannot locate the later ETA pigtail PN. As Dave says it does not seem to be on EPC.

EPC also does not even recognise the Pigtail Harness PN I was able to buy only a few months back.......

IMG_3555.JPG

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Cannot get movement on this p/n either
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I've never seen the late-style pigtail available new from MB, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

We definitely have confirmed the early one is available; additional pics of the early style are at this link.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (04-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    Sorry luckymike, I tried but cannot locate the later ETA pigtail PN. As Dave says it does not seem to be on EPC.

EPC also does not even recognise the Pigtail Harness PN I was able to buy only a few months back.......

IMG_3555.JPG
    Well, shoot. Thanks for trying. Looks like I'm buying some wires and brushing up on my soldering skills.