Thread: Whats the S hose between the PS pump and reservoir you guys say is a trouble spot?

Whats the S hose between the PS pump and reservoir you guys say is a trouble spot?

Looked over the photos from Gerry doing the reseal on his and also a couple parts lists on the pump and can't get my head around what we are talking here. Got to start attacking these PS and oil leaks on the E420 as soon as my hand heals.
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

Re: Whats the S hose between the PS pump and reservoir you guys say is a trouble spot?

I think you are referring to the short hose between the resevoir and pump. Here is a photo (courtesy of GSXR):

Last edited by gsxr; 04-06-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

E500E Guru

Re: Whats the S hose between the PS pump and reservoir you guys say is a trouble spot?

Call Lionel. It is not the reservoir hose.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    Call Lionel. It is not the reservoir hose.
    That's what I got also from the threads but can't find a photo of this s shape hose in question anywhere. Do also need that reservoir hose and clamps though along with all the gaskets. It's seemingly leaking from under the reservoir area but can't see from where till I get it apart so---.
    Here is the diagram of the E-420 pump which is different from the 500 pump.
    https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...2-%20Liter-GAS
    I don't see the S hose or the short hose between the pump and reservoir here so?? Leak is from behind the pump running straight down the block but can't see from where so?? Don't need to start tearing into it without the parts as I have no local source because I won't walk in the door at Crown MB Birmingham again EVER!! Maybe MB USA will quickly settle the mess where those arrogant jerks are blocking in court the second MB dealer here that MB USA wants to open on my side of town but till then---.
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-29-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That's what I got also from the threads but can't find a photo of this s shape hose in question anywhere. Do also need that reservoir hose and clamps though along with all the gaskets. It's seemingly leaking from under the reservoir area but can't see from where till I get it apart so---.
    Here is the diagram of the E-420 pump which is different from the 500 pump.
    https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...2-%20Liter-GAS
    I don't see the S hose or the short hose between the pump and reservoir here so?? Leak is from behind the pump running straight down the block but can't see from where so?? Don't need to start tearing into it without the parts as I have no local source because I won't walk in the door at Crown MB Birmingham again EVER!! Maybe MB USA will quickly settle the mess where those arrogant jerks are blocking in court the second MB dealer here that MB USA wants to open on my side of town but till then---.
    I'll get you the part number for the S hose The next time I have a parts catalog open.

Just local gossip trivia, since you have mentioned it a time or two: the dealer lawsuit situation over there just got straightened out. The ownership group that is doing the new dealer also just bought the dealer that you dislike so much. They are decent people and they are not one of these "we own 500 dealers" corporations that have been a menace for customers, dealership employees, and the manufacturers too, for that matter. YMMV, but over time it you will probably find less to dislike about them. Then again with your 124, if you have the Internet and some DIY stick-to-it-tivness, you won't have to visit any shop you don't like...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Here are a couple of photos of the S-hose from Dave's site. The part number is 124 466 32 81.

If you do replace the "S" hose you will also need to get the aluminum corrugated heat-shield tubing that fits around it, and you'd need to cut a couple of notches at the ends to make room for the clamp screws.

80 percent of the time, leaks are from the short hose between the pump and the reservoir. I document this in detail in my HOW-TO post. I cut my short-hose about 1 cm longer than the original (stock) hose to account for shrinkage due to clamp pressure over the years, and age, and also to provide a bit more length for the clamps to "grip" the ends of the hose. I also put on two extra clamps (one at each end) to provide more of a seal -- probably not necessary, but cheap and easy to do whilst "in there."

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Here are a couple of photos of the S-hose from Dave's site. The part number is 124 466 32 81.

I suspect that it will be the reservoir hose as after I washed everything down with brake clean the hoses them selves looked pretty dry and the wetness was from under the pump and down the block. Didn't help that some bonehead before I got the car had filled the reservoir to almost the top. Before I saw your how to reseal thread photos I didn't know the level indicator on the top of the PS filter was there! Stuff is brown and looks like engine oil so when my hand heals after I get the stitches out next week where I can work again stopping this leak is the first thing up.

What is the exact ID and OD size of that short hose as I can likely get a short piece from my local NAPA here that will do the trick. Also what do I use for the fluid? My local NAPA handles many of the euro fluids so is there a correct non MB direct crossover?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

See link in post #2 for dimensions.

OE fluid is preferred but you can use Dexron ATF in a pinch.

Here is the TSB you need:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)

E500E Guru

Order from mb Gainesville. Fluid and s hose. You can reuse the heat shielding if you are careful.
    I would buy a aftermarket gasket.orange mb sealant for cam magnets. Takes a 12 mm hex or Allen for the reservoir hose. Crush al gasket too.

Hose is 9.8 mm hydraulic low pressure hose.
    Which is = 3/8 inch

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    See link in post #2 for dimensions.

OE fluid is preferred but you can use Dexron ATF in a pinch.

Thinking Redline synthetic PS fluid. I can order the gaskets, hose, fluid and a set of F/R brake pads all at one time and save on shipping.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/powe...-1-quart-30404
    I'm 90% sure my leak is coming from that short hose the more I look at it. It's doing exactly what yours was doing Gerry when I look at your photos of the actual short line leak. I will plan to reseal the reservoir, replace the hose and, filter then run a good synthetic fluid.
    Will get on it as soon as this heals enough to work with it>

Left fingertips are just not a good place to screw your hands up when you are right handed and play guitar for a living !!
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I would not re-use the heat shielding. It's exceedingly cheap from MB and just easier to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I would not re-use the heat shielding. It's exceedingly cheap from MB and just easier to replace.
    Wouldn't reuse it but right now with what I am seeing here am thinking the leak is from the short hose only. We shall see once i get it apart though.