I have been watching 500E/E500 prices online for about a year now and am really thinking about pulling the trigger on one in the next 6-8 months assuming a good one is on the market at that time.
**disclaimer: i have read a lot about the maintenance and other potential with these cars, so im not coming in to ask about things that i could have just searched for (im experienced in automotive forums ) i truly want owners opinions and experiences relating to the posts i have below, this is more of a "life discussion" for me
I currently own 3 cars:
- 2007 Saturn Aura XR : 108k miles, paid off for over a year, in good shape, probably has 2-3 good years left in it at least, daily driver, insurance is cheap, i could part with this car if i had to but its saving me money now on insurance and no payment!
- 2013 Chevy Cruze: leased vehicle, shared between me and my fiance, we needed something short term reliable and good on gas while she finished her college, which she now has, at the end of the lease (18 more months) what we do with this car is totally up to her)
- 1999 Mercedes C43 AMG: bought it just over 2 years ago, 70k miles, VERY good shape, i owe $4k still on the loan i took for this car, will be paid off within a year at most. i use the car 90% of the time for autocross events and track days, most of the miles are DRIVING to those events, i would like to keep this car until i die or give to a future child
I absolutely love the 500E, i wont wax poetic about that since im among like minded individuals here
my issue is im not sure if it makes sense to buy that as my next car or not...
my current position is that my next car needs to be 1 of the 2 following things (NOT both)
1. a car that is better than the C43 at the track and autocross, lighter, more suspension options, more wheel tire options, more aftermarket and parts availability in general. then the C43 would become a fairweather DD for me to supplement the saturn.
2. a car that i use basically as my daily driver and #1 car that i absolutely love. in which case i would just keep the C43 as my racing car but probably would need to sell or trade the saturn if i get a new DD.
the 500E does not qualify for #1
the 500E DOES qualify for #2,
but if i got a 500E i would have to get rid of the saturn, it just does not make economical sense for me to have 3 sedans for myself, not to mention i only have a single car garage! also i cannot force the saturn on my fiance, and dont want to give her the C43
the 500E is terrible on fuel i know, but as of right now i have a really short commute to my office, probably only about 300-400 miles a month including other social trips.
the question is is daily driving the 500E something that you all would recommend? i have done the research about proper maintenance on this car, but i DO live in michigan (maybe not forever, who knows), unless i move to a new house with a bigger garage (not likely) i would have to drive the 500E in the winter. Im ok with winter driving, i have done it before with RWD in Michgan, ive lived here all my life, i would get snow wheels and tires. DO you guys feel that its a fair idea to do that or not?
I know some poeple baby cars and keep them pristine, and some people say cars are meant to be driven so why 'garage' a great car... i would try to keep the car as nice as possible like my other cars, but just dont want to do it if other owners have tried and just dont like it or cant make it work or feel its bad for the eventual value of the car, etc.... again, im not in this for resale value.
i would have the money to be able to do the scheduled maintenance and would plan on buying one that is in good shape with the necessary parts already replaced (delphi wiring harness, transmission maintenance performance regularly, good AC condenser, etc) if i bought a higher mileage one i could definitely make the economics of it work. if i bought one in the 150,000 mile ballpark i would need to make it last me at least to 220,000 miles without dumping money into it to have it make any economical sense.
I dont have any kids currently, probably will in 2-3 years though.
Just looking for honest opinions from other owners who know what this car is all about. I love cars and am willing to spend money for one i love, but at the same time i like to get value for my hard earned money and not just throw it away (used audi maintenence for example...)
thanks for the time and opinions ,