Thread: E420 Power Steering Pump & Box Rebuild + LCA Replacement

E500E Guru

E420 Power Steering Pump & Box Rebuild + LCA Replacement

Note: This thread was cleaved off of the Clank Tribute thread. VATC5637 will be adding to this thread as he performs his P/S pump, P/S box and LCA repairs on his E420.

Just got the bad news that the p/s pump and steering box on the '94 E420 need rehab or replacing, plus it needs front lca's (too many kids learning to drive, too much time away from papa). So it looks like I'm about to test the patience of all those fine gentlemen if I'm going to try and keep this car from becoming just another parts car. Fair warning to all . . .

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Big thanks to the Pro's- Clark71 and Klink

Quote Originally Posted by vatc5637 View Post
    Just got the bad news that the p/s pump and steering box on the '94 E420 need rehab or replacing, plus it needs front lca's (too many kids learning to drive, too much time away from papa). So it looks like I'm about to test the patience of all those fine gentlemen if I'm going to try and keep this car from becoming just another parts car. Fair warning to all . . .
    Assuming you just have leaks... the PS pump is generally the front seal, and the box is generally the output shaft seal (search this forum for threads on both items).

LCA's are DIY with the proper spring compressor, I'd recommend replacing all steering links at the same time if they aren't recent, so you only pay for one alignment. Remember the LCA's on your E420 will be OE-only (no Febi anymore, unless you feel lucky).

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Assuming you just have leaks... the PS pump is generally the front seal, and the box is generally the output shaft seal (search this forum for threads on both items).

LCA's are DIY with the proper spring compressor, I'd recommend replacing all steering links at the same time if they aren't recent, so you only pay for one alignment. Remember the LCA's on your E420 will be OE-only (no Febi anymore, unless you feel lucky).

Agree - get the Lemforder left and right tie rods, and a new drag link. And steering shock, for good measure. Also not a bad idea to replace the idler arm bushings too. Trust me, your car will feel like a BRAND NEW CAR after all this.

E500E Guru

easy job to do a reseal on the pitman shaft. Used box are cheap. You sire it is not a hose leak?