Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Hirschmann Antenna

WTB: Hirschmann Antenna

124 820 57 75

Mine goes up but will not go back down...after taking apart and reading the threads on this...it may be the board. Tired of the in and out and ready for a new one...anybody have one?
    '93 400E
    Build Date 10/92
    Engine 119.975
    Transmission 722354
    Exterior 147/68 Interior 268

Re: WTB: Hirschmann Antenna

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If your car is a long-term keeper... I would strongly suggest buying a brand new Hirschmann. Yes, I know that is painful at ~$180 from Amazon. I've messed around with trying to fix old/used antennas as the success rate is not good. Old ones often need new masts at $60+ and the control boards are frequent failures ($25-ish used on eBay), and in some cases internal parts break which are not fixable. Unless you have access to a local Pick-n-pull to raid cheap parts to repair old ones, just buy new and sleep better. BT, DT.

http://www.amazon.com/Hirschmann-W01...dp/B001G68E4Q/

Photos here... note this is for 1992, 1993, and early 1994 only with the threaded-top antennas:
    http://www.w124performance.com/image...ann/1992-1993/

Click here for a photo of the grommet, which is only available from MB as part of a rather expensive ($94 MSRP) kit. Hopefully you can re-use your existing grommet(s).

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

You don't need the whole kit, you can just replace the outer plastic piece. Its the only thing that you could really break unless you're just trying to hard....
    1969 Pontiac LeMans Red/Black 105k
    1993 500E Silver/Black 180k
    1991 420SEL Anthracite/Saffron 176k
    2014 Subaru Impreza

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Honestly, it's just easier to either source a used one (or two, or three) at a wrecking yard, or buy a new universal model. I keep three or four spares on hand and a couple of new Genuine Hirschmann masts, as well.

Paul plans on keeping this car, I think Dave's link to Amazon is good. $179 & free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Hirschmann-W01...ype=automotive

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    Paul plans on keeping this car, I think Dave's link to Amazon is good. $179 & free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Hirschmann-W01...ype=automotive
    Just don't use Armor-All, tire shine, 303 or hair spray to lubricate your new antenna's mast. Use the special Hirschmann lube packets....

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Honestly, it's just easier to either source a used one (or two, or three) at a wrecking yard, or buy a new universal model. I keep three or four spares on hand and a couple of new Genuine Hirschmann masts, as well.
    The universal models are NOT plug & play... I would not recommend one. As I mentioned previously, used 20-year-old antennas at $50-$100 each (eBay) or $25-$50 (local wrecker) are a crapshoot, and may only last a year or two, if you're lucky.

I'd rather not admit how much money I wasted trying not to spend $175 for a new antenna. If I could go back in time, I'd not spend one penny nor one minute dinking with used stuff, and I'd shell out for the new custom-fit unit, and not think about it again. 20/20 hindsight and all that jazz. Learn from my mistakes, folks! ~$60 used unit + $80 new mast = probable failure of board or mechanism followed by $175 expenditure for a new one anyway. They can and do wear out. Believe me, I'm all for pinching pennies and ballin' on a budget, but antennas are one area where I learned a hard lesson in false economy.

Related rant: I don't think I have EVER found a good used antenna in a 124 chassis at any Pick+Pull. They are either original and junk, or have the masts ripped out, or both. On eBay, I once scored an MB remanufactured unit, and IIRC even then I ended up having to replace the board or mast.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Just don't use Armor-All, tire shine, 303 or hair spray to lubricate your new antenna's mast. Use the special Hirschmann lube packets....
    +1. I'd like to know what the active ingredient is in those packets.

Attached Images Attached Images

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FYI - the replacement mast (MB # 140-827-00-01) is up to $179 MSRP now from the dealer. Yes, for the mast only. I'm not finding them anywhere via aftermarket for less than about $75 for genuine Hirschmann. The dealer wants $985 (list) for a new antenna, or $368 (list) for a rebuilt with $78 core.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I paid about $50 some years back for genuine H's. I also have a new H one for my SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    +1. I'd like to know what the active ingredient is in those packets.

It's a citrus-based lubricant that is designed not to attract dust and dirt. I use them on my cars about twice per year. About 15 years ago, Ed Ebel at Becker game me a huge bag of about 100 of those cleaning packets.

Because I'm a cool guy, naturally.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Masts are cheaper for the older models, i.e. 126 chassis. the USA-spec 124.034/036 all have the integrated cellular antenna mast, which apparently is a relative of the orange koala-claw stuff.

Example: 560SEC mast is B6-682-8035, only $54 MSRP from the dealer... if still available. Less than 1/3 the cost of the late 124 mast!

The universal models are NOT plug & play... I would not recommend one. As I mentioned previously, used 20-year-old antennas at $50-$100 each (eBay) or $25-$50 (local wrecker) are a crapshoot, and may only last a year or two, if you're lucky.

I'd rather not admit how much money I wasted trying not to spend $175 for a new antenna. If I could go back in time, I'd not spend one penny nor one minute dinking with used stuff, and I'd shell out for the new custom-fit unit, and not think about it again. 20/20 hindsight and all that jazz. Learn from my mistakes, folks! ~$60 used unit + $80 new mast = probable failure of board or mechanism followed by $175 expenditure for a new one anyway. They can and do wear out. Believe me, I'm all for pinching pennies and ballin' on a budget, but antennas are one area where I learned a hard lesson in false economy.

Related rant: I don't think I have EVER found a good used antenna in a 124 chassis at any Pick+Pull. They are either original and junk, or have the masts ripped out, or both. On eBay, I once scored an MB remanufactured unit, and IIRC even then I ended up having to replace the board or mast.

Another X a billion. Every word Gixxer says there is dead on. If you get about 10 of them at the pick and pull you might be able to make one good one. If one is mechanically and electrically inclined, replacement parts are available on the inter-webs. A couple of places on fleabay used to have a lot of the parts available, but by the time you get everything you might need, and pay shipping you might want to just replace it.

I would not put a "universal" in my car unless it was a seriously crappy clunker/beater. Ugly, clunky, usually flaccid and loose fitting once installed, and most definitely not plug-and-play.
    Damn, I might've just described myself...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've had MUCH better luck on the Hirschmanns. I'd say I bat .500 or .600 on the antennae, but then again I only pick the very best condition ones, out of cars that have been obviously cared-for. That probably helps my batting average a bit.

Then again, I have yet to replace one (other than connecting them to test). I'm still on the original units in my SEC and my Efiver.

Masts are cheaper for the older models, i.e. 126 chassis.
    Yet another reason to get yourself into the wonderful W/C126 chassis and experience the goodness...... live a little, man !!

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

It's a citrus-based lubricant that is designed not to attract dust and dirt. I use them on my cars about twice per year. About 15 years ago, Ed Ebel at Becker game me a huge bag of about 100 of those cleaning packets.

Because I'm a cool guy, naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's a few examples of these bad-boys....

The 140 part number mast is for facelift cars...
    Bummer that it didn't find its way into the back of the E320 wagon with all of the other spares....

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

140-827-00-01 is the correct mast for all years of USA-spec 124.034/036... not just facelift. I believe this may fit all USA-spec 124's (including wagens, coupé, and cabby) from 1992 model year through end of production. There was a definite break point between 1991 and 1992 in USA, the antennas are different as well.

European models are different... above info is for USA only...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Ahh, interesting. I saw the notation in the EPC and (my failing eyes) thought it said from model year 1993, but you are correct. Closer inspection says from model year 1992. I bought that mast not very long after we moved here, so probably early in 2009.

By the way, URO makes a mast with this part number/application for under $11.00. Good savings....NOT!

After about a half day of research and considering options, I followed Dave's advice and bought the correct Hirschmann replacement from Amazon and the grommet kit from MB (though I don't remember it being so expensive). A year later, I am quite happy with the advice and how my antenna works.

Thanks Dave!!!
    1992 500E 702/275

140-827-00-01 is the correct mast for all years of USA-spec 124.034/036... not just facelift. I believe this may fit all USA-spec 124's (including wagens, coupé, and cabby) from 1992 model year through end of production. There was a definite break point between 1991 and 1992 in USA, the antennas are different as well.

European models are different... above info is for USA only...

Indeed, there was a significant change along with a greatly increased antenna price.

USA version 124s as of '92 had telephone prewiring as standard equipment. This enabled a dealer installed integrated cell phone kit to be plug-and-play. As a part of this prewiring package, the conventional AM/FM radio antenna was replaced by a so-called "tri-band" antenna that also transmitted and received cellular signals. The additional silver box that is attached to the mast tube is a combination RF amplifier and signal splitter, that along with the modified antenna internals and dual section mast enabled the single antenna assembly to perform both roles. The ground plane requirement for cellular operation was the reason for the different upper mounting arrangement.
    more

It was a really nice set up, and if analog cell service was still available, you could still be using them if you had one. One can convert to the previous conventional antenna set up as known from the '91, but alas, that is not plug-and-play either. The easiest thing to do is just get another tri-band unit at the best price you can find and install it. If they are truly the genuine Hirschmann article, and they are really available for 200 bucks or less, I'd be on that like a melanoma...

And yes, everybody. go to www.beckerautosound.com and buy the Hirschmann mast maintenance wipes that Gerry is talking about in post #16.

Or find them wherever you can find them, but do find them. Your antenna and you will appreciate them, because you can keep your mast cleaned and lubed (and who doesn't like that?), but you won't be subjecting your hideously priced antenna to substances that disintegrate or swell the plastic upper section, nor contribute to the disintegration of the plastic gear rope of the mast and the other various plastic bits inside the drive unit. Maintenance with incompatible chemicals kills these things far quicker than even a complete lack of maintenance...
    Last edited by Klink; 02-02-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks to all for the input. After talking to Lionel Rutter today I am unwilling to pay $700 ($965 list) for a dealer unit. I bought the one suggested above, along with some 303 Aerospace protectant (per the thread on Gerry's engine cleanliness) through my Amazon Prime account. I think the top grommet is good but will check it thoroughly when I do install. May get a new one anyway.

Also will source the correct lubricant...that may have contributed because I recall cleaning an lub' get it in the past with some of the above mentioned "bad" stuff.

My mast was replaced a few years ago so should be fine. I will keep my unit for parts...and keep an eye out for others in the future to put in my stock pile.

Cheers!
    '93 400E
    Build Date 10/92
    Engine 119.975
    Transmission 722354

Follow Up:

Becker AutoSound (beckerautosound.com) will Repair/Rebuild a Hirschmann Antenna for $175.00. Includes new mast and any other parts needed. He told me that the mast cleaning was not the problem...mine was definitely the board because mast goes up when radio tells it to but does not retract.

Cleaning wipes are $1.00 each

They rebuilt my Stereo Head Unit and Receiver and added Aux Input in May 2013 ($364.00 incl. shipping) and I have been very satisfied.

I am happy to be getting the new one from Amazon...will look out for a used one to replace board in mine and have a backup.
    Last edited by maduell; 02-04-2015 at 01:10 PM.
    '93 400E
    Build Date 10/92
    Engine 119.975
    Transmission 722354

Quote Originally Posted by maduell View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. After talking to Lionel Rutter today I am unwilling to pay $700 ($965 list) for a dealer unit.

Cheers!
    MSRP is actually $985 now. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by maduell View Post
    Follow Up:

Becker AutoSound (beckerautosound.com) will Repair/Rebuild a Hirschmann Antenna for $175.00. Includes new mast and any other parts needed.
    Great deal, considering JUST a new mast from MB (same part) is $179 MSRP and at best $125 online.

I just e-mailed Becker AutoSound for a price on just the mast.
    Since a full rebuild is only $175 I figured a mast would be cheaper the MB.

$99 plus shipping, WTF

So I started looking around online, RM European. $78.57 and free shipping for a genuine Hirschmann

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe...d-f8995f47bdbc

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Out of curiosity, since we have no need for analog cellular reception anymore, is there a non-cellular Hirschmann mast available that would work in our antennas?

There are 2 styles of Pre-cell phone antenna mast's

Very early, the plastic cord is smooth

Later they changed it to the "teeth" on one side. The early smooth cords
    would slip if the antenna was even slightly dirty.

Of course the "teeth" version didn't slip, they break the cord when the mast gets stuck.

I would think 86-91 W126 would work, I'll check on that.

OK, from what I see there are 2 choices.

124 version with a 900 mm cord, toothed

126 version with a 1105 mm cord, also toothed.

I'm going to pull my mast and measure, but I'm guessing the 124 mast is the one.

Auohaus AZ

Here's the mast, $36 from Lionel.

I'll post after I install it, most likely my last post on here.

New kit came in 2 days from Amazon Prime and was as described. Even came with two of these:

Active ingredient is an "Emulsifier"...? Code word for "we don't want to tell"
    '93 400E
    Build Date 10/92
    Engine 119.975
    Transmission 722354

Any ideas on what kind of antenna this is:
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    European version, without phone, I think. Possibly vertical instead of angled...? Or, it's some aftermarket thingy. Doesn't look quite right, would like to see a better photo.

My wagon was missing the antenna mast and the motor was unplugged. When I plug it in I can hear the motor running and it does not shut off. Trying to determine if I need to replace the entire unit or just the mast.

If someone has a good used Hirschman I would e interested.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I can help you out there. You need an antenna for a late (1994-1995) model? PM me. I have a couple of complete units in my parts stock.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Sounds like a bad control board, Ken. Hard to say without additional information though. Appears the 94-95 wagon uses a rather unique unit. (Note to Gerry... the facelift wagon antenna is specific to 1994-1995 124.092 and 1994 W140 only).

Might be worth contacting Hirschmann/Becker to see if they will repair/refurbish your unit, or maybe seeing if you can convert to the Euro-style antenna instead...? The Euro setup lacks the phone connection stuff, not sure if the antenna cable will connect or not. Guess I should keep an eye out for spares since I've got an 092 now...

Parts to repair most of these antennas are available on fleabay and other places...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

One of my antennas is off of a facelift wagon from the wrecking yard.

Or you can just try to install a new mast. That's probably what I would try first, seeing as your motor works.

On that particular antenna motor, the circuit is nothing more than a 14 second timer. It does not have the concentric switches that shut the motor off once the mast bottoms out, as is familiar from older designs. So, if you put a mast in and it "works" you can think you are home free and come out to a dead battery in the morning. Just plug the electrical plug in. If you still hear the motor running 30 seconds later, the circuit board inside the unit is defective. They are repairable and replaceable. If the motor shuts off within 30 seconds, go ahead and put a mast and it. If it won't take a mast, one of the driving lugs on the large double gear with internal damping spring is broken. I haven't checked lately, but as little as a couple of months ago those were readily available also, plus those can be repaired with a little bit of imagination, etc...

Mine has the following numbers:

40 10D 13 09
    129 820 17 75

It has a little metal box with:

Ap 9016/11
    Nr: 822 932-0011

The box has plugs for Telephon Antennae 12V Radio

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

I will try a new mast and see what happens. $10 on ebay for aftermarket.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    I will try a new mast and see what happens. $10 on ebay for aftermarket.
    The really cheap aftermarket ones don't last very long. Fine for testing but if want it to last get a Hirschmann.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    The really cheap aftermarket ones don't last very long. Fine for testing but if want it to last get a Hirschmann.
    For $10 it will tell me if it works.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Mine has the following numbers:

40 10D 13 09
    129 820 17 75
    Looks like that was the original number, supercedes to 124-820-72-75 per the EPC (after some reverse lookups and whatnot). Don't look at the MSRP without having a stiff drink first. Hopefully it's fixable as Klink describes above.

Ouch!

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Ouch!
    Yep, it leaves a mark. I have bought Hirschmann parts from this guy a few times: http://www.ebay.com/sch/laynlow1/m.h...=1&_ipg=&_from=

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Yep, it leaves a mark. I have bought Hirschmann parts from this guy a few times: http://www.ebay.com/sch/laynlow1/m.h...=1&_ipg=&_from=
    They should attach a car to the antenna for that kind of money. The antenna is almost twice what I paid for the car.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post

I don't believe this is a European antenna , more like aftermarket , seeing that the car in the photo is possibly ex Japan by the looks of the license plate holder (or maybe even US) .

Nonetheless, Euro ones are much the same as US appearance wise.

Ones with phone prep are like this , which are not retractable :

Ugly as hell !!

Stubby one on R230s looks good but doubt that it can retrofitted though :

1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

48. The Following User Says Thank You to bing For This Useful Post:

Christian_K (06-08-2015)

All, I am bit confused as to what I need... Currently my antenna is stuck in the UP position... I do hear the motor run when turning the radio on and off. I have a 94 E500 and my antenna grommet is the funky special one that the forum has indicated is only available from MBZ as an antenna head kit part # 124 820 56 75. Rumoured to be almost $100 dealer only. Since mine seems to be the 94-95 facelift antenna, can I not install the earlier version (124 820 58 75) and then use the $3 grommet/seal? Will that be a plug and play install?? Autohauz says I need the 202 820 20 75 unit...thx!
    Thomas
    94 E500 90K on clock
    (Gone but not forgotten)
    95 E320, 93 E320, 91 300E

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If your current antenna has the threaded top, yes you can replace the entire antenna with the later style that uses the cheaper grommets. However, you also need additional parts to make this work. More info here:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5592

If you gotta replace it anyway... I'd do the upgrade, but that's just me...

gsxr, I am having trouble loading a pic, but my current antenna is the threaded top, IF that means after you place the grommet onto the mast, there is a funky nut that screws on and fits into the groove (?) of the grommet, to hold grommet against the fender... Then of course the mast once inserted also threads into the antenna.

By your post do you mean you would upgrade to the newer style antenna (which does not have the splitter?) and takes the $3 snap on grommet? And then that antenna (whatever the part number?) requires a wiring adapter?

thx!!!
    Thomas
    94 E500 90K on clock
    (Gone but not forgotten)

trying to insert pic of my current grommet...

94 E500 antenna top.jpg
    Thomas
    94 E500 90K on clock
    (Gone but not forgotten)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by tomer View Post
    gsxr, I am having trouble loading a pic, but my current antenna is the threaded top, IF that means after you place the grommet onto the mast, there is a funky nut that screws on and fits into the groove (?) of the grommet, to hold grommet against the fender... Then of course the mast once inserted also threads into the antenna.
    Yes - USA model years 1992, 1993, and early 1994 have the funky screw-on nut arrangement.

By your post do you mean you would upgrade to the newer style antenna (which does not have the splitter?) and takes the $3 snap on grommet?
    Yes, I'd upgrade to a newer style antenna with the $3 grommets (note: you need the upper AND lower portions of the grommet! See link in post #49.) The later antenna still has the splitter.

And then that antenna (whatever the part number?) requires a wiring adapter?
    Not a wiring adapter, but a mounting adapter. The old threaded-top antenna is NLA new from Mercedes, and the EPC specifies the new style plus a number of extra parts to make it work (basically the two cheap grommets, and two mounting pieces under the fender). EPC Group 82, subgroup 345.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

sorry to flog this dead horse...would this work from Amazon? Note there does not appear to be a splitter, do I need that?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G68E4Q/
    Thomas
    94 E500 90K on clock
    (Gone but not forgotten)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

sorry to flog this dead horse...would this work from Amazon? Note there does not appear to be a splitter, do I need that?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G68E4Q/
    See post #3 above. That is the direct replacement for the threaded-top antenna... not the "upgrade" to the late style. Depends if you want to go the easy route (replace) or the hard route (upgrade).

I think I want the easy route (upgrade?) to later style which accepts the inexpensive two part seal...

Would this be it?

http://www.amazon.com/Hirschmann-W01...rhf_dp_p_img_4

Note no splitter on this unit, but of course who needs it
    Thomas
    94 E500 90K on clock
    (Gone but not forgotten)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I believe this is the correct unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Hirschmann-W01...dp/B001G6E6RU/

Last week I was listening to Morning Edition intently as I drove into the carwash. Halfway through the carwash, I realized I shouldn't be listening to Morning Edition. Broke the mast.

I'm pretty sure the white plastic toothed cable is broken and still inside the antenna housing. Is it possible to remove that remaining piece and just replace the mast? If so, I'm very confused on which antenna mast I should be getting as a replacement. Would you please provide a part number or link? Or do you recommend I replace the entire antenna?

TIA,
    Max
    1992 500E

My new to me 500E had the mast stuck halfway out. When I took the antenna apart it was well beyond repair. Cracked and corroded inside- junk. I took 2 more OE aerials apart and they were junk too. I guess no surprise for 25+ year old parts.

I replaced it with a complete new Hirschmann unit. Pic attached- it’s a universal type power antenna but it fits just fine to a w124.

I also fitted a new MB body grommet / seal and used the chrome securing ring from the Hirschamann kit. It actually seals better than the OE setup when tightened down. (Perfect snug fit right over the top of the MB seal)

It’s also inexpensive at about £60 for the complete new unit and has the same 4 wired setup. I have these on 2 of my w124’s now and they work flawlessly

IMG_1107.JPGIMG_1108.JPG

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by makemann View Post
    I'm pretty sure the white plastic toothed cable is broken and still inside the antenna housing. Is it possible to remove that remaining piece and just replace the mast? If so, I'm very confused on which antenna mast I should be getting as a replacement. Would you please provide a part number or link? Or do you recommend I replace the entire antenna?

TIA,
    Max
    Max, is your antenna original from 1992? If you're not sure, pull the left trunk carpet and inspect. If it is original... I'd spring for a complete new Hirschmann exact replacement (not the generic), see post #3 and #8 above.

If your antenna has already been replaced with new/reman and you're fairly confident it only needs the mast, see post #10. About $75 or so for a replacement OEM mast.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

61. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

makemann (06-05-2016)

Max, is your antenna original from 1992? If you're not sure, pull the left trunk carpet and inspect. If it is original... I'd spring for a complete new Hirschmann exact replacement (not the generic), see post #3 and #8 above.

If your antenna has already been replaced with new/reman and you're fairly confident it only needs the mast, see post #10. About $75 or so for a replacement OEM mast.

Dave, it is original. Thanks for the links to your photos. I'm going to replace it. Can you share the install instructions? The link on your page gives me an ERROR 403.

http://www.w124performance.com/image...structions.pdf