Thread: Hella headlamp lens

Hella headlamp lens

Found pre and post facelift headlamp lenses made by Hella on Yahoo Japan. Does anyone know whether these headlamps lenses are the ones that are chromed inside? Are the Euro/Japan headlamps typically chromed as opposed to the US specced ones? Do Hella and the Bosch variants both chromed? I had a friend of mine call the vendor in Japan to ask, but not sure if he got the message across or if something got lost in translation, but the store told him that the lenses weren't chromed/shiney-the pics on the website seem to be chromed but that may not mean anything. I think the previous owner of my car may have switched out the lenses as mine are not chromed and since I have a crack in one of my lenses and there is condensation every time I wash my car or when it rains, I really need to switch these things out. Wondering if anyone can help since going to Japan at the end of the week but not sure if I should order. Here are the links to the parts.

Post facelift- http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...550#enlargeimg
    Pre Facelift- http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/p462312999

Re: Hella headlamp lens

Face lift 94/95 Euro lens Hella are chrome inside , See Dave's photo :

By the way the Japan auction ones are for left hand traffic based on the first 2 part numbers shown. Not sure other part numbers are but I'm guessing they're for regular W124s left hand traffic.

Part numbers for Right hand traffic , see here:http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...headlights.pdf

1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bing For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-04-2015), Klink (03-09-2015)

Keyboard Warrior

I'll do a Wiki when I return, I'm in Poland now but basically....

The Euro Hella's are composed of a few main interchangeable parts.
    1) The lens, which is 124.036 specific. There is a LHD and RHD specific lens. UK, Aus and Japan need the RHD lens.
    2) The chrome plastic part that the lens is bonded to (but is removable). That part is used on 124 cabriolet's also.
    3) The housing and other grey plastic parts which is common to all Euro Hella's.
    4) And the two reflectors, which I am not sure of other applications.
    If you have the E500E Euro lenses you could use the Cab chrome plastic part and bond them together. There is a TSB showing how that is done. Mercedes makes a special bonding sealant.
    The lenses turn up frequently on German eBay, shipping to the USA is around 18 Euros. Again, you want the LHD version.
    Always, ALWAYS, use Lamin-X on the glass and I would not suggest using it on the fog lamps, it will retain the heat and there are examples of lenses breaking or getting stress cracks.
    Kind Regards,

Ron

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FYI... the lens "bonding" was an MBUSA / DOT thing, which was supposed to glue the lens to the housing, so in theory owners couldn't replace the lens separately. DOT regs assume if the lens is bad, water/dirt could maybe possibly have entered the lamp and damaged the reflectors, so they insist the entire headlamp assembly be replaced as a unit. Which is asinine, but so are many gub'mint regs. That's why you can buy replacement lenses in the rest of the world, but not for the late 124 chassis in USA.

I've heard rumors of the fog light cracking from Lamin-X but I don't think it's heat related, although I'm not sure what the real cause would be. Nobody has reported details if this has happened to them, so thus far we haven't been able to figure out if Lamin-X is the cause. Would need photos from a few different people, need to know if the lens was new or used when film applied, what thickness used, etc etc...

Keyboard Warrior

Dave:
    I recall reading that the fog lenses cracked when using the thicker Lamin-X. I cannot imagine what else it would be other than heat, but that is just a guess on my part, nothing more.
    R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron500E For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-04-2015)

My short-term objective is to get the chromed lens as I want the clear and shiny look. Right now, my lenses always look a bit foggy because the lens itself is a bit old and scratched up but also because the inner frame is not chromed. Are all the Hella lenses chromed or did they also make the standard and non-chromed ones not specific to the 036? The title for the yahoo japan item is for an 036 but also list other 124's. What is the difference between the RHD and the LHD lens, do the two point/reflect in different directions? I have a Japanese spec car already, so I assume this means I have RHD lenses.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

All 500E and E500 Euro and US lamps have chromed interiors. None of the non-036 sedans had the chroming. It tells you at a glance if the lamps are appropriate or not.

The difference between RHD and LHD headlights are the lenses and reflectors, which have a different directional beam pattern & reflector angle so that light doesn't blind the oncoming traffic when properly aimed for each type of drive.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

bing (03-05-2015), Klink (03-09-2015)

Keyboard Warrior

The foggy glass can be cleaned up, there are several products that will remove scratches from glass. Toothpaste works great BTW. You want a polish that contains Cerium Oxide or Jeweler Rouge.
    The chrome part is used only on the E500E and Cabriolets.
    You are correct, the difference is the beam direction pattern.
    I have seen a lot of cars for sale using standard 124 headlamps because they are less expensive so who knows what you have....

Kind Regards

Ron

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron500E For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-09-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron500E View Post
    The chrome part is used only on the E500E and Cabriolets.
    Is that correct, Ron? I checked the EPC for all of the complete headlight units, and in all cases the part numbers came up as .036-only.

Definitely please correct me if I'm wrong !!

EDIT: I checked out the part numbers on the 124.066 (cabrio) and the headlights spec'd on that unit per the EPC showed them to be in common with many many other W124 models, such as the 032, 034, 051, 090, etc. but the 036 wasn't on the list. And I know for a fact (having owned an 090 and 092) that they did not come from the factory with chromed interiors. Again, as I usually am with these things, I am probably wrong here and putting my foot in my mouth.....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-09-2015)

If all the 036's had chromed inner frames, then I suspect that the previous owner may have switched out the lens or headlamp unit as mine is not chromed or at least doesn't seem so, it looks like my ce's lens, flat silver. Does the chrome portion oxidize/get dirty over time losing its chrome appearance? I will go take a look today, try to clean and see.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

From my observation and experience, the chrome stays in good condition unless there is a major breach of the glass (i.e. rock) that allows fluid and debris to enter the lamp, or perhaps a seal failure at the front or the rear that would allow condensation or moisture in. But generally, the chrome stays in nice condition.

As was said, it's quite common for uninformed (or penny-pinching) owners to replace the lamps, often repairing a front-end hit or other damage. In non-036 lamps are installed on the vehicle, it's always an impetus to prompt further investigation on the condition of the front end .. are the hood/fenders/front bumper original or replacements, etc?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

bing (03-05-2015), Klink (03-09-2015)

Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Is that correct, Ron? I checked the EPC for all of the complete headlight units, and in all cases the part numbers came up as .036-only......
    Gerry, we both are right.
    I was talking about the Hella part number for the chrome plastic without the glass. Mercedes does not sell that part alone. What they do sell is the complete "assembly" - glass and chrome. In that case you are correct in that the assembly for the 036 and Cabs are different. Which as you pointed out is in the glass.

I "think" one can make 036 headlamps by using the 036 glass and the Cab chrome plastic. But then there's the reflectors which are an unknown at this moment.
    I'll try to pick up a Cab headlamp at the Antwerp show, or at Van deVelds if I have time, to compare the parts side by side.

The EPC "may" have combined the numbers of all cars using standard glass, IE all non 036 124's. But that's just a wild guess nothing more.
    Will know more upon return.

Kind Regards,

Ron

Keyboard Warrior

As I mentioned I will do a Wiki dissecting the Euro headlamps with Hella, not MB, part numbers.
    Get your questions ready, I'll be home in 8 days or so.

R

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Hella headlamp lens

I'm sure you're 100% correct & I'm just raising an unnecessary point. My track record is down to about 5% on stuff like this. Heck, I don't even know the true definition of "live" data

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

bing (03-05-2015), Klink (03-04-2015)

My right side could use a shiny chrome bezel insert as it currently has a Matte silver finish rather than the driver side is quite shiny chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

There are more differences between the 500E/E500 lamps and the regular 124 lamps than just the chrome reflectors and exterior glass lenses. The 500E/E500 uses an H3 "driving light" on the inboard side (next to the grill) and relegates the fog lamps down to the bumper.

"Pedestrian" Non-E500E W124 models have no lights in the front bumper, and use the H3 inboard lights (next to the grill) as fog lamps. Totally different reflector and design, and purpose.

Can't just replace lenses/reflectors, have to replace the whole lamp to get the E500E capability. The lenses with the inboard fog-lamps from regular 124 models have a totally different light diffusion molded into the glass. Check out the differences closely between each of your lamps and you'll see the difference.

The chrome interior pieces will come part and parcel when you get a new E500 lamp.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-09-2015)

I'm sure you're 100% correct & I'm just raising an unnecessary point. My track record is down to about 5% on stuff like this. Heck, I don't even know the true definition of "live" data
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

500E Terminus Illuminatus DerFuror's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post

I've heard rumors of the fog light cracking from Lamin-X but I don't think it's heat related, although I'm not sure what the real cause would be. Nobody has reported details if this has happened to them, so thus far we haven't been able to figure out if Lamin-X is the cause. Would need photos from a few different people, need to know if the lens was new or used when film applied, what thickness used, etc etc...

J-Sauce had this experience.
    Last edited by DerFuror; 03-04-2015 at 09:07 PM.
    " Destination ???, It's the ride that takes you there! "
    1993 500E W124.036 040/271
    1965 220b W111.010 Heckflosse

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DerFuror For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-05-2015)

Keyboard Warrior

I agree, somewhat. Yes, the H3 is used as a driving lamp but I wonder, and I don't know the answer to this, but if one replaces the fog lamp bulb with a H3 and the glass would it be a defacto 036 lamp? I know there's a city bulb to worry about too.
    I bet Hella didn't make new molds for a lot of parts, they just chromed the existing ones for the 036 and Cabs. But the glass itself is unique.
    Don't know about the reflectors.
    There are Mercedes numbers, in the EPC, and Hella numbers which can only be obtained by pulling the lamp apart if you don't have access to a Hella parts catalogue.
    So as not to confuse everyone (probably too late for that) I will keep my discussion on Hella internal part numbers and their exchangeability.

Kind Regards,

Ron
    Last edited by Ron500E; 03-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

The reflector for a fog and for a driving lamp are different, as well.

is there a emoticon for a noob with spinning head>>????

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    is there a emoticon for a noob with spinning head>>????
    Oh yes, we definitely have one of those.

Screenshot 2015-03-05 06.26.30.jpg

Seriously though, there are VERY few topics relating to the E500E that are not found on this forum. Unlike the "all in one" C126 forum, everything's generally pretty well-arranged here by grouping, making reading easier.

A lot of new owners find it illuminating to just go through one sub-forum per night (or over several nights if a lot of threads) to download and read through relevant topics. Of course a lot of topics are esoteric or advanced, and HOW-TOs don't need to be bothered with until it's time to actually do the job.

There are few forums that provide the level of depth and breadth pertaining to one model than this forum does. The EPC works well for other lookups.

And don't forget the Wiki. It's also an excellent information source and perhaps even a starting point before going into the forums themselves. I would say to "signal to noise" ratio here is better than probably 80-90$ of other forums (though we do have our fun too).

I think I will just place my face there -- reasonable facsimile

And don't forget the Wiki. It's also an excellent information source and perhaps even a starting point before going into the forums themselves. I would say to "signal to noise" ratio here is better than probably 80-90$ of other forums (though we do have our fun too).
    blew thru much of the wiki this morning, good stuff! On the lightbulb wiki, didn't see the bulb for the shifter selector there. Any idea what it is as I do not want to gut into it and not have the repair ready.

p/n N072601012230 W5/1.2w 12v bulb if someone wants to update wiki (I don't want to mess it up)

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by nocfn; 03-05-2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: found the info on shifter bulb

34. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-05-2015)

The reflector for a fog and for a driving lamp are different, as well.
    Can you please provide me with EPC part numbers for the high beam reflectors and driving lamps? I am in the process of assembling a pair of euro headlights using regular W124 headlights. New pair of euro 036 lenses is already in hand.
    1994 E500

Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by superstar View Post
    Can you please provide me with EPC part numbers for the high beam reflectors and driving lamps? I am in the process of assembling a pair of euro headlights using regular W124 headlights. New pair of euro 036 lenses is already in hand.
    High Beam Reflector
    The High Beam reflector is 036 only.

Main Beam Reflector
    001.826.8278 - Left
    001.826.8378 - Right
    This reflector is common to most, if not all, pre facelift (<93) 124's.

The removable rear cap part number 124.820.0949 (and 4 others) are common to most if not all 124's leading to an educated guess that the grey housings are also the same.
    Therefore....
    1) a standard 124 Euro Hella headlamp.
    2) a chrome surround.
    3) a high beam reflector to replace the fog reflector
    and
    4) a Euro 124.036 glass
    Will make a 124.036 headlamp.
    And as Gerry said, I'm 100% correct....

Kind Regards,

Ron
    When I get home in a few days I'll try to get the Hella numbers.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron500E For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-09-2015), superstar (03-09-2015)

Beside the dealer ,anyone knows where to order the High Beam Reflectors 1248260078?
    1994 E500