Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PWNER - gerryvz

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: PWNER - gerryvz

Replenished my supply of Rick Perry Cleaner yesterday (only legal in 47 48 states).

IMG_6065.JPG

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Replenished my supply of Rick Perry Cleaner yesterday (only legal in 47 48 states).
    Geez, there are SIX different types now... but only one is chlorinated:
    http://crcindustries.com/auto/crc-br...-parts-cleaner

Zoro carries it for $3.75/can (click here), free shipping for a limited time, try one of these promo codes and you might get a couple extra bucks off.

For reference, my local Mall-Wart has the same stuff for $4/can plus tax.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yes, there seem only to be a couple of brands of Chlorinated Brake Cleaner on the market these days - the rest seems to be non-chlor. And I can get that stuff all-day, every-day for $2.75-3.50 a can. The "good stuff" runs $4-6 a can.

There's a reason why the non-chlor is cheaper ... as with anything, you have to pay for the good stuff !!

I do not even think it is possible to buy the Jerry Brown-spec (California CARB compliant) ultra-low VOC stuff here in the Republic of Texas - I have never seen it for sale at any of my local FLAPS stores (although it may be orderable, I dunno).

I do not even think it is possible to buy the Jerry Brown-spec (California CARB compliant) ultra-low VOC stuff here in the Republic of Texas
    I just bought 8 cans. Great deal. Thanks, Dave!

Gerry, I was thinking it would be nice to live in Texas, but I'm hearing that the progressive trendies from California are moving there and ruining it.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    I just bought 8 cans. Great deal. Thanks, Dave!

Gerry, I was thinking it would be nice to live in Texas, but I'm hearing that the progressive trendies from California are moving there and ruining it.
    Jon,

Texas is indeed seeing a major influx of people (myself and family included some 6.5 years ago) from Northern and Western states. Many are coming in search of good jobs, as there are plenty here (and more jobs coming all the time), the cost of living is extremely low, taxes are reasonable overall, and we have pretty good weather (you have your choice of weather depending in which part of Texas you want to live in).

The major cities in Texas - DFW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin) - are indeed fairly blue in their core areas, but you get immediately outside of them and things get EXTREMELY conservative. I live in Montgomery County, just about 1/2 mile north of the Harris (which Houston is in) County line, and the difference between Harris (fairly blue) and Montgomery (very red) Counties in political makeup is pretty drastic. Check this out: http://www.politico.com/2014-electio.../#.VISvs6agpKE

Also, of note .. in the recent election, and with Landrieu's defeat in Louisiana last night, ALL US states from Texas to North Carolina are now dominated by Republicans in their Governors, their US Senators and Representatives, and in their state/local legislatures. The entire Southern US is as "red" as it's EVER been.

This is because a lot of folks have been moving here to get away from the failed politics and policies in blue states like Michigan and California. People go where the jobs are, and the jobs are migrating to Southern states. I just hope the cost of living here stays low. At least here in the Houston area, real estate prices have been rising dramatically because of increased demand.

They say that the State of Texas gains more than 1,000 new residents ... PER DAY.

My acquaintance David Winans created this updated video a while back:

I have to make a visit to texas soon. Oregon politics are dtiving me away.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon (sold)
    2011 E550 4Matic

That was a very professional video and it definitely highlights some good reasons for living there.

I was based in San Antonio in 1989 and 1990 and I really liked it.

Here's the $64,000 question: "Houston is the energy capital of the world." How long will it be before the necons' half-baked idea (to drive the oil price down in a futile attempt to bankrupt Russia) has a substantial and negative impact on the economy there? The South may be red, but until Congress starts impeachment proceedings, they are just as bad as who they replaced--probably worse because they told their constituents they would not tolerate this nonsense and obviously lied to get elected.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I don't think it will have a major impact. Short term, I'd see some of the energy companies (particularly the smaller, weaker ones) slowing down or stopping their efforts to extract oil from the Bakken shale in North Dakota, but the energy economy has been ramping up dramatically over the past 5-8 years and it won't stop overnight. Some say that the magic threshold of profitability for doing this is around $60-65 a barrel. Larger firms have the resources and the will to push through and continue to reduce costs. There is a lot of room left that the energy companies have to reduce extraction costs for hydraulic fracturing, and being private, for-profit enterprises you can bet they will innovate to do this.

The long-term goal is to get energy independent and possibly even to export oil. The current administration LOVES to tout that oil production is now higher than it's been in the past 30-35 years, and that is absolutely true. However, that is DESPITE resistance and stonewalling from the Federal Government. All of the increase in oil production has been from drilling and extraction done on PRIVATE lands, not federal lands. Drilling permit approvals for the Gulf of Mexico are WAY down because of the current administration foot-dragging, so the energy companies are pressing ahead with other plans that the government can't directly influence, which is why you see all the activity up in North Dakota and in West Texas, and to a lesser degree, elsewhere.

The sad thing is that it looks like the Keystone XL Pipeline is going to get veto'd by Obama, which is really really unfortunate. People don't stop to think about how the oil that is being extracted up in Canada and North Dakota is getting around the USA RIGHT NOW. It's getting transported by oil trains. Oil trains are MUCH more accident-prone and unsafe than oil pipelines are.

Like they were with the advent of hybrids and electric cars, when it comes to the TOTAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT of the materials that are extracted and created, and energy expended to manufacture those vehicles, the environmental/government/green crowd is blissfully ignorant about trains vs. pipelines. Trains carrying oil and hazardous chemicals travel through metro and highly populated areas of this country every day (including every major US city), and each of these trains is a HUGE environmental hazard (if it were to derail/spill/wreck) than a pipeline that largely runs through unpopulated areas. But you see, these tree-huggers don't even know how many pipelines are ALREADY in place and operating EVERY DAY in North America, VERY successfully I might add. They just know that they need to oppose the Keystone XL because that's what their political masters tell them they need to do.

If folks actually stopped and got the complete set of facts, they'd probably change their tune if they actually were able to reason things out. I've been a student of trains for the past 25+ years and have ridden freight trains on almost every rail line from the Mississippi River to the California coast. Including oil trains, which are not fun to ride. You would be very very surprised at the number of major train derailments that happen annually, including oil trains. I've personally seen some pretty big ones (never directly been in a derail situation, though).

Cheers,
    Gerry

P.S. The attached is about 11-12 years ago, heading east from Portland through the Columbia River Gorge at sunup, at the controls of a Burlington Northern Santa Fe diesel locomotive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's true that they need to oppose the Keystone XL because that's what their political masters tell them they need to do. But the only thing the new Congress did before going on vacation was pass the pipeline deal, knowing that it didn't matter anyway (it will be vetoed).

Oh, the other thing they did was announce they would not repeal the ACA in its entirety and that impeachment was completely off the table. Unbelievable! I think both parties have the same globalist masters; and they are hell-bent on shutting our entire energy industry down and collapsing what's left of our country. They truly want to take it down. Just look at the climate deal that was cut with China recently--we committed to doubling the rate of plant closures now and China gets to continue growing theirs.

Nice picture of the train. Is that a steering wheel up there? For what?
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    Nice picture of the train. Is that a steering wheel up there? For what?
    Trains don't really have steering wheels. Rather, they have throttles that control the diesel engine, and then by extension the electric traction motors. And then the air brakes & dynamic brakes, of course. So the controls really are more focused on power generation and then managing the mode of the traction motors. In regular forward motion, the traction motors are regular DC motors. When braking, the traction motors are transformed into generators that generate electricity and dissipate a lot of their energy as heat. It's a very complicated dance of constantly maintaining power and braking, and things like mountains make driving trains tremendously complex.

No steering is really required because there are only two directions to go - forward and backward.

For a fully loaded freight train (say a half-mile to three-quarters of a mile long) it generally takes about a full mile to come to a complete stop from 60 MPH.

I'm sure the engineer would have to be way ahead of what he wanted to make the train do or it could eat his lunch. It takes a DC-8 ten miles in level flight to slow from 300 knots to 250 and I've seen it bite guys that are behind the power curve (never happened to me or Trae though).
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Well, there are a plethora of signs with speed limits and warnings everywhere along the tracks (if you know how to read them), so as long as an engineer and/or conductor are playing attention, you're good to go. There are also books and now computerized guides that tell you what to expect coming up, based on what milepost you're currently at.

The maximum legal speed of a Class I (Union Pacific, BNSF, CSX, No-f*ck Southern) freight train can travel is 79 MPH. That's pretty dang fast when you've got a few million tons behind you.....

I can't imagine the amount of energy those brakes would absorb on an emergency stop. I presume they have computerized train simulators too? That would be interesting.

By the way, didn't the chief fraudfeasor, Warren Buffet, buy a large train company a few years back. Is it just a coincidence that he would benefit from a pipeline veto, being an Obama supporter and all?
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Buffett now owns BNSF as of a few years ago. It is headquartered in Fort Worth, TX.

There are plenty of train simulators out there. Microsoft used to sell a program called Microsoft Train Simulator, but stopped selling it about 10 years ago. There are many other simulators both standalone and online, though.

Train brakes are very interesting. They are ALWAYS engaged (meaning the shoes are touching the wheels of the train cars) UNLESS there is air pumped into the system from the head end (the locomotive(s) have air compressors on board that power the air brakes). This is a safety factor, so in case there is a failure in the air system, or a busted knuckle/coupler splits the train in half, etc., then the air system loses pressure and the brakes are automatically applied. This is also why cars don't roll when they are not connected to units (locomotives), for example when a string of cars is sitting on a siding next to the road.

Usually a between 30-180 seconds before a train starts to move, the engineer will "air up" the train, meaning he'll pump air into the brake system along its entire length. You'll hear the hissing as the system pressurizes, and often will feel/hear the brake pads releasing from the wheels. All train yards also have what is called "yard air" at various points in the yard -- this allows the workers to keep the train "aired up" (brakes off) for when they're switching tracks, building trains or breaking them apart.

One time, I was on a train that went into "emergency" - it's quite a scary experience. The dispatcher said over the radio that there was a truck stuck on the tracks ahead, which is why the train went into emergency braking mode.

Many many times I've also been at the back end of a mile-long train when it starts to move forward. You hear an increasingly loud "booming" noise as the units pull the slack out of the train, and there's so much slack by the time the "slack action" hits the rear of the train that 80% of the time, it will knock you off your feet if you are not ready for it (for example, if you're standing in a boxcar). You might have about 1-2 seconds audible warning to prepare, depending how long the train is.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

It had been a while, so I decided (after re-attaching my underside cladding this afternoon, after last weekend's serpentine belt replacement & thermostat replacement) to do one of my patented 15-minute "Mr. Clean" engine cleanings....

In the photo below, you can see the three stock stickers that came on the cars: the yellow emissions sticker (black on early 500Es); the green A/C sticker in the center, and the silver sticker on the right.

That washer fluid cap is a little tired..

How much Armor All is that?

That´s how usually an engine looks if you get y car from a turkish dealer.....
    You can´t treat a car like a human.
    You must love it. (c) Walter Röhrl.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 036 For This Useful Post:

Roma_500E (03-21-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    That washer fluid cap is a little tired..
    I actually have a spare/new MB cap, rubber washer and little rectangular cap retainer. I should replace them. That's just washer juice (SommerFit) droplets hanging from the underside of the cap.

No comments on my overflow tank ?!?

No Armor-All.

Quote Originally Posted by 036 View Post
    That´s how usually an engine looks if you get y car from a turkish dealer.....
    I know, crazy, huh?

I actually have a spare/new MB cap, rubber washer and little rectangular cap retainer. I should replace them.

No Armor-All.
    Well, I call that the expansion tank, not the overflow tank, and you know the difference. But with the picking of that semantic nit now behind me, I think it looks fantastic.
    I still need to replace mine too, just for the appearance...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Nope, I have a new one (expansion tank) as well. That's a draw

And the Colonel is correct. Overflow tank is inside the fender/liner.

No Armor-All.
    Well there's some sort of "bro" shine on there. The reflection from the flash hurts my eyes.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    Well there's some sort of "bro" shine on there. The reflection from the flash hurts my eyes.
    Yeah ... ME. It's a GVZ "spit" shine.

Remember, my spit doesn't stink......

It had been a while, so I decided (after re-attaching my underside cladding this afternoon, after last weekend's serpentine belt replacement & thermostat replacement) to do one of my patented 15-minute "Mr. Clean" engine cleanings....
    Impressive result. Hate to do this, but are you going to post up a "How-To" on your 15-minute cleaning? Or, do you just follow the directions on this stuff: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...e=&from=Search
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

It's either that engine bay dressing or tire shine.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I don't use Griot's products on my engine bay.

Show us without the airbox please
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I actually need to pull my airbox off and replace it with the RENNtech airbox I have, and then do some butt-dyno testing.

$20 says that my RENNtech airbox provides more power and torque than Mr. Scale Racer's exhaust systems do !!

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Show us without the airbox please
    The car guy equivalent of "Show us your t*#s!"

I actually need to pull my airbox off and replace it with the RENNtech airbox I have, and then do some butt-dyno testing.

$20 says that my RENNtech airbox provides more power and torque than Mr. Scale Racer's exhaust systems do !!
    I have $20 on that too, I agree.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

On Thursday, I drove my E500 the 5.5 hours (each way) from Houston to New Orleans for a long road-trip, to visit the National World War II Museum near the French Quarter, which I hadn't seen since late 2008.

http://nationalww2museum.org/

They have significantly expanded the Museum, which back in 2008 was called the National D-Day Museum, into a full-blown WW2 Museum. Back in 2008, the Museum only was a single, large building. Today it covers more than three city blocks. And the Museum isn't done yet, with yet another building to be built during 2015-2016, opening late in 2016.

5.5 hours is a fairly long drive, but it was quite effortless in the E500. I did get one ticket, from the Iberville Parish Sheriff, for going 72 MPH in a 60 MPH construction zone. That ticket cost $175 and is payable online, and will not be reported to go against insurance as long as I pay it by early June. This was clearly a local Iberville money-making operation, as the trap I got nailed in was coming down over a bridge over a swamp, in the right lane, and the Sheriff was pulled over with a Laser gun. I had no time to react, and my Valentine One was of absolutely no use. The ticket was handed out quickly and before I had even gotten off the road at the nearby exit (the Sheriff waved me over onto an exit ramp for the pull-over), and gotten back onto I-10, he already had nailed another "victim." The funny thing is that I was pulled over about 50 yards before a "70 MPH" sign. Lucrative business for that Parish, I think. That's how they do it in

The Louisiana State Police were out in force, though I was able to stay out of their wily clutches. There are a couple of 15-20 mile elevated causeways on I-10 that cross giant swamps in southern Louisiana, between Lake Charles and Baton Rouge, with no exits/off-ramps. On these causeways, the Louisiana troopers station themselves on the side of the bridge, and have a nice, long, straight shot at oncoming cars with their laser guns. I saw two of these "traps" but luckily was able to avoid them with little difficulty. Lots of roving LSP SUVs, too.

On the way home, I crossed Lake Pontchartrain, which is a massive saltwater lake immediately north of New Orleans. I wanted to take I-12 back until it met up with I-10 at Baton Rouge. Lake Pontchartrain has a north-south causeway that bisects it; this causeway is 23.85 miles long.

This is the world's longest continuous bridge over water.

The storm surge on Lake Pontchartrain was a major cause of the flooding of 80% of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, due in some part to the levees between the Lake and downtown New Orleans breaking.

The most notable thing about this trip was the gas mileage I got in my E500, however. I filled up the tank two times - once in Crowley, LA on the way there, and the other time in Vinton, LA on the way back to Houston. One tank (which was about 60% full when I started in Houston) I received 18.9 MPG. The second fillup (which was 100% freeway driving) was 20.9 MPG. This was one of the best tanks I've ever had with the E500, and I didn't even use cruise control to get it.

Cheers,
    Gerry

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-21-2015), maw1124 (03-21-2015), TerryA (03-21-2015)

That stretch from Baton Rouge to NO is a tough one to follow the speed limit. Interesting part of the world.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon (sold)
    2011 E550 4Matic

On the way home, I crossed Lake Pontchartrain, which is a massive saltwater lake immediately north of New Orleans. I wanted to take I-12 back until it met up with I-10 at Baton Rouge. Lake Pontchartrain has a north-south causeway that bisects it; this causeway is 24 miles long.

This is the world's longest bridge over water.

That's a great looking photo. All it needs is a few floating islands in the sky and it would look like one of Roger Dean's album cover art for the band Yes.

Yeah... That's Iberville. They love to catch you coming over the horizon. 10 over and you're generally good; 12 and it's a ticket. They're the same way on the Ohio Turnpike, laser guns pointed right at you coming over the horizon. I hate it -- underhanded and slimy. And $175 is steep (or it's been a long time since I've gotten a speeding ticket).

Gorgeous picture though, and generally a nice drive along I-10. I-275 /75 from Tampa to Naples is another nice one, with bridges and vistas over water.

Cheers,

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 03-21-2015 at 03:44 PM.

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

I have a cartoon somehere that is a sketch of a toilet, with the tank being labeled Lake Ponchetrain and the bowl is the Big Easy. Aint it the truuuuthhhhh!!!!!

Yea, the weather systems seem to stagnate over that area of the US.
    It can make for some very hot and sticky days.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

That ticket cost $175 and is payable online, and will not be reported to go against insurance as long as I pay it by early June. This was clearly a local Iberville money-making operation...
    I wouldn't even mind revenue-generation mechanisms like this. We have no such luxury in the PNW. Tickets paid online/mail are considered guilty pleas and recorded on your permanent record, and sent to insurance with much glee. Traffic school is not an option either.

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    I have a cartoon somehere that is a sketch of a toilet, with the tank being labeled Lake Ponchetrain and the bowl is the Big Easy. Aint it the truuuuthhhhh!!!!!
    Hey!!!

Watch it, I grew up in that toilet.

It was a great place to be in the 50s but in 1960 after I graduated from high school I moved west and never looked back.
    I still have relatives and friends there. I still really miss the food.

Last time back was around 2000. We saw the WW II museum then but I would love to see it now. I guess it's time for another visit.

NO hasn't been the same since Katrina but it is still a "Party Town"
    Terry

39. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (03-22-2015)

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

No disrespect, but many of my clients bemoan the virtues of LA, but they all moved to H-town for well paying Jobs!!

Glad they did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

My view on New Orleans (and remember that I spent the first six years of my life living in very small-town Mississippi) is that it is an awesome place to visit, and has probably more pure, raw, gut-level "culture" and "soul" than any city in the US. But, there are some major drawbacks, including the crime rate, which is horrendous.

I wouldn't want to live in NO but I just love visiting.

Then again, I say the same thing about SoCal (I lived in the SF Bay Area for four years in the 1990s as a twenty-something). Wouldn't want to live there, but love visiting (especially for E500E related activities).

[QUOTE=nocfn;97821]"No disrespect"

No worries, non taken. I was just busting your chops.

I left for basically the same reasons, dead end low paying jobs.
    I ended up in SoCal after a stint in the Marines. I love it here but it also has a lot of drawbacks
    for a conservative guy like me.

I also have to say I don't think I would have liked
    growing up and going thru school in any other city.

Take Care
    Terry

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (03-22-2015), nocfn (03-22-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Was rummaging around in my stash o' relays tonight, to get a replacement (spare) 560SEC klima relay to replace the (recently) intermittent and just-died klima relay in my car. Had to drive home the past two evenings in 80+F Houston heat with no A/C.

A spare factory Klima relay did the trick.

In any case, we were just talking with Ascension about the blinker relay.... I came across this stash of factory (and a Kaehler) blinker relay, as well as a stash of factory MB Hella "bulb-out monitor warning lamp" relays.... these are all useful for both the 124 and the later (Gen 2) W126 models.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've got a lower wiring harness on order, as well as an oil level sender.

My next two HOW-TO jobs for the E500E will be on replacement of these two items.

I also have a brand-new set of rear hydro-legs en route both for my E500 and for my 560SEC, as well as factory rear subframe & rear diff mounts for the SEC.

Replacement of all of these items will also be on my near-term HOW-TO list before the summer heat begins to set into the Houston area during May. The window is closing....

Cheers,
    Gerry

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Bogeyman (04-14-2015), spaceman_west (04-14-2015)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Sounds like you're gonna be busy!
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Other than the lower wiring harness (which I did a few months ago and struggled with), these are all things my E500 are in need of currently. Eagerly awaiting your how-to's Gerry!
    Andy
    94 E500
    (128k miles)....sold
    2000 Land Rover Disco (112k miles)
    95 Mazda Miata (104k miles)
    91 BMW 325i (140+K miles odo broken!)

Curious , what symptoms are you experiencing with the hydro legs , Gerry ?
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Curious , what symptoms are you experiencing with the hydro legs , Gerry ?
    Classic symptom: significant/noticeable clunk over bumps on the rear passenger side. Just original parts that need to be replaced after 20+ years. Mainly I got them because the deal I got on them new was so freaking good, that I literally couldn't turn it down. I started noticing the dreaded "clink" over the winter.

The 560SEC units are 26+ years old, weeping, and are being replaced as part of a total rear suspension refurbishment. These too I got new for a significantly better price than even the newly lowered price on the factory units.

Cheers,
    Gerry

51. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

bing (04-15-2015)

Curious, how much did you get the hydro legs for? I think I need them. I've seen them at around $500 each ($469, $489, somewhere in there).

maw

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

These too I got new for a significantly better price than even the newly lowered price on the factory units.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    ....Did you take mine from my work bench? name your sources!!!
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    Curious, how much did you get the hydro legs for? I think I need them. I've seen them at around $500 each ($469, $489, somewhere in there).
    Uhhh....$650 for the pair, new ?!?!?

....Did you take mine from my work bench? name your sources!!!
    What can I say ?!? It pays to have 15+ year parts connections.....

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (04-22-2015), nocfn (04-16-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Getting ready for some major work on the cars in the coming weeks/months (when I'm in town / around).

Stocking up on parts for the jobs....

Here's a comparison of new Sachs rear SLS hydro-legs for the V/C/W126 (on the left) and the W124 E500E. The 126 hydro-legs are NOS, and both pairs of legs are Made in Germany.
    IMG_6658.JPG IMG_6660.JPG

And a close-up of the Sachs labels on the E500E hydro-leg:
    IMG_6659.jpg

And, the factory MB rear sub-frame mounts and factory MB rear differential mount for the C/V/W126:
    IMG_6662.JPG IMG_6661.jpg

More parts photos coming soon.....

57. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

cole67 (04-22-2015), maw1124 (04-22-2015), nocfn (04-22-2015)

Uhhh....$650 for the pair, new ?!?!?
    Nice. That'll be tough to beat, but maybe I can use it as a benchmark. Rear legs are up next on my 500E to do list. Every now and then, I'll see Ecklers run a 15% or 20% off deal on them. But not the 35% off you just got.

I think that Proverbs says a good name is better than riches.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!

Cheers,

maw

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Speaking of Charlie, the next picture should prove you still have an assistant.

MO-bile
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!
    Speaking of Charlie, the next picture should prove you still have an assistant.
    Chuckles?

Yea, he's still around, all right.

Sleeping inside of my travel duffel bag:
    IMG_2977.jpg

Lounging in my home office:
    IMG_2984.JPG

And guarding the front door of my house at Christmas time with his younger brother, Coco (left):
    IMG_2985.jpg

61. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-26-2015), Klink (04-22-2015), nocfn (04-22-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I updated my emissions test results with the scores from today's Texas emissions/safety test.

The table containing all of my results is in post #28, located here.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

My collection is growing....

64. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

500AMM (05-11-2015), Klink (04-26-2015)

As long as you aren't pulling those off of cars you see on the street, LOL...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Was thinking of heading down to Ft. Lauderdale to score another "400E" badge, next up ......

67. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Ascension (04-26-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

There's actually a quality story and lesson lurking in these trunk badges....

Look at the nice, shiny aluminum badges from the early 123s ... the ones that say "DIESEL" and "240 D". These are nice, quality, thick aluminum badges with some significant "heft" to them in your hand. Notice the rather plain, block, rather powerful font used for the letters and numbers. It's a "no nonsense" approach that is purely functional.

The next group of badges marks a definite downgrade in quality, which was phased in sometime around 1980. This group of badges is evidenced by most all of the badges in the right-hand column (excepting the 240D, 300SDL and 560SEL badges). While still made of aluminum, and still affixed to the car's trunk by "pins" that go through small holes, they are markedly lighter in weight and thinner overall. Still decent quality, though, but not nearly the heft of the earlier badges you see. You can also see a difference in the lettering type font itself from the earlier badges. Although the font is overall a bit smaller than before, it 's also more stylized, although it retains most of the character of the earlier font style.

The third group are all of the badges on the left side, as well as the 560SEL and 300SDL badges on the right side. These badges are all made of plastic, and are affixed to the vehicle with adhesive tape embedded in the back of the letters and numbers. As you can imagine, these badges are very flimsy and the long ones (with age and previous prying off the car) will break if you just LOOK at them hard. These are the last generation of badges, from around the 1985-1986 time period, which were used through the advent of the new "letter first" nomenclature that debuted for the 1994 model year.

As you know, these "letter first" badges are also all plastic, and affixed with adhesive, although the letters are all separate and individual. This system is still in use today with modest modifications to the lettering.

In any case, not many folks may have picked up the subtleties in this single photo, about the quality and evolution of MB type lettering on the trunk badges.

Cheers,
    Gerry

69. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (04-26-2015)

Was thinking of heading down to Ft. Lauderdale to score another "400E" badge, next up ......
    I think we need a "GVZ, Behave!" in the same fashion as this one

I would build one if I knew how...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I would build one if I knew how...
    There's actually a web site where you can "roll your own" ... LOL !!

http://www.pacprod.com/smiley_signs/

Then again, I'd say it takes at least six 400E badges to equal one 500E badge, assuming comparable condition...