Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PWNER - gerryvz

Re: PWNER - gerryvz

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    There's actually a web site where you can "roll your own" ... LOL !!

http://www.pacprod.com/smiley_signs/
    Thanks!
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

I love the plastic "stick-on" badges! So much easier to delete...

A delightful coincidence and/or irony, at least to me:
    I noticed that our recently "acquired" 928 (now known in the family as "Froggy") has a wonderfully plain rear bumper cover having only the "PORSCHE" lettering molded into it. I wondered if it was a "universal" replacement cover, or something like that. Turns out, nope! It is the original cover. Not only has it clearly not been replaced, but I recently searched the VIN and looked at the option codes, and there it is, "model designation deletion"! Additional confirmation that it was a good choice for me. Do note that the word "acquired" is in quotation marks. I don't have the money and/ or youth to justify buying and running these fright pigs. Certain cars just seem to "aquire" me at strange times...
    Last edited by Klink; 04-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

Maui (04-26-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Then again, I'd say it takes at least six 400E badges to equal one 500E badge, assuming comparable condition...
    Six ?!?!? Uhh, NO. More like 10.

Then again, I'd say it takes at least six 400E badges to equal one 500E badge, assuming comparable condition...
    Six ?!?!? Uhh, NO. More like 10.
    I'll go with that. The truth is, that's exactly how I feel. I was just trying to be nice...

I love the plastic "stick-on" badges! So much easier to delete...

A delightful coincidence and/or irony, at least to me:
    I noticed that our recently "acquired" 928 (now known in the family as "Froggy") has a wonderfully plain rear bumper cover having only the "PORSCHE" lettering molded into it. I wondered if it was a "universal" replacement cover, or something like that. Turns out, nope! It is the original cover. Not only has it clearly not been replaced, but I recently searched the VIN and looked at the option codes, and there it is, "model designation deletion"! Additional confirmation that it was a good choice for me. Do note that the word "acquired" is in quotation marks. I don't have the money and/ or youth to justify buying and running these fright pigs. Certain cars just seem to "aquire" me at strange times...
    in my best bill clinton, i feel your pain

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon (sold)
    2011 E550 4Matic

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

Klink (04-26-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Best argument for a G-wagen ... handled 30 squares of fresh sod + 320 pounds of topsoil with aplomb......

2015-05-10 18.41.37.jpg 2015-05-10 19.19.19.jpg

And Charlie inspecting my handiwork ...
    2015-05-10 19.35.51.jpg

and guarding it from intruders .....
    2015-05-10 19.36.31.jpg

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Ha.. Good stuff! Have 3 yards of pea gravel and a pallet of sod delivered today. Found my pool leak, cable company pierced the sewer line from my shop to the city. I got some nice blisters to prove it, and a 1,500 bill from the plumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

5.5 hours is a fairly long drive, but it was quite effortless in the E500. I did get one ticket, from the Iberville Parish Sheriff, for going 72 MPH in a 60 MPH construction zone. That ticket cost $175 and is payable online, and will not be reported to go against insurance as long as I pay it by early June. This was clearly a local Iberville money-making operation, as the trap I got nailed in was coming down over a bridge over a swamp, in the right lane, and the Sheriff was pulled over with a Laser gun. I had no time to react, and my Valentine One was of absolutely no use. The ticket was handed out quickly and before I had even gotten off the road at the nearby exit (the Sheriff waved me over onto an exit ramp for the pull-over), and gotten back onto I-10, he already had nailed another "victim." The funny thing is that I was pulled over about 50 yards before a "70 MPH" sign. Lucrative business for that Parish, I think. That's how they do it in
    Sent my $175 payment for the ticket off to the Iberville Parish folks via a simple online payment last week, ahead of the end of May deadline. So at least the "ticket" won't hit my Texas driving record in a negative way, and they can pay their troopers to nail more folks....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (05-25-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Tonight I finished the job of replacing the fan clutch in my E500. For many years the original clutch has been not working as efficiently as it should be, and in the hot Houston summer climate, running temperatures of 105 and even 110C are not uncommon with the A/C on. I just don't like those temperatures.

Last year, I obtained a used E500E factory fan clutch with 50,000 miles on it for $400. I finally got around to replacing it. The process is documented here on the forum, so I didn't do a HOW-TO on it, but I did take a few photos during the process.

I cut down an Allen key to try to remove the fan clutch bolt without removing the radiator, but all I did was round out the head of the bolt (it was ON there!) and thus, this required the removal of the radiator. This I did tonight, and it required about 30 minutes to do. With more room in front of the fan clutch, I was able to use an 8mm Allen socket and 3/8" ratchet to get a much better "bite" into the head of the fan clutch bolt. And together with Glen's home-made fan clutch pulley holder tool (thanks for the loan, Glen!) I was able to remove it with a bit of effort. The bolt finally gave way with a "pop!" that sounded like metal cracking.

After buttoning everything up, and replacing the fan clutch bolt with a new one (one of the Houston "stealers" happened to have one in stock, and I paid list price of about $7.00 for the convenience of getting it fast), I tested the car. No coolant or ATF fluid leaks, which was great. I also replaced all four of the copper washers at the ATF cooler banjo bolts with new copper washers.

The test consisted of mixed city and freeway driving up to and including 80 MPH. I took I-45 up to the north end of Conroe, TX and back -- a round trip of about 40 miles from my house. Ambient temperatures outside ranged from 86-88F and there was a fair bit of humidity.

The hottest that I could get the car was right on the 100C mark, with the temperature generally hovering between 95 and 100C while on the freeway. This was a significant improvement over the 100-110C that the car was previously getting up to, but in my opinion it is still 5-10C too hot. I will run it with this fan clutch for a few summers to see how it goes, and then eventually will buy a new factory fan clutch of current production (Horton). The factory fan clutch that I installed, like the original one I replaced, had the notation "Fichtel & Sachs Schweinfurt" on the back of the clutch.

A few photos of the old and new clutch and old and new fan clutch bolts. You can see that the current bolts are nowhere near as nice as the originals....
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Gatorblue92 (07-11-2015), Klink (07-10-2015), nocfn (07-11-2015), samiam44 (07-18-2015), skikrazey (07-10-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

A few more prizes for my collection today.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

lowman (11-01-2015)

A few more prizes for my collection today.....
    If you did that to my car I'd be pissed!

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I had dinner with my friend Robert Fenton last night (Thursday).

He has in his parts stock ONE MB OE fan clutch specific to the 400E/E420/500E/E500, made by Sachs, in his parts stock. It has never been on a car. He said he is happy to sell it for $600.

If you look at the list price of these fan clutches this is a pretty good deal for an OE unit. If you are interested, I'll put you in touch with him.

Cheers,
    Gerry

E500E Guru

That's good to see the new fan clutch made a big difference Gerry. My car I experienced the same thing with a water pump and fan clutch. Replacement with MB parts and problem dissappeared.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    That's good to see the new fan clutch made a big difference Gerry. My car I experienced the same thing with a water pump and fan clutch. Replacement with MB parts and problem dissappeared.
    I'm still going to buy a new, current production "Horton" (a Sachs company) fan clutch. My belief is that the current production units work better than the original units.

Gerry, I have the AMG 18 inch monoblocks. I noticed you said a while back you have the same but in a staggered manner (8 wide in front and 9 in rear). what is the advantage of this?

Also, I noticed the 19 inch Brabus wheels on a web page (see below). They look nice. Would they fit my car, do you think? I bought the car in 1999, and it had already been lowered a bit (how much I'm not sure) and had been generally Rennteched (I've removed all Rennteched mods save the fuel chip and the ASR defeat/first gear auto start). I'm using 245/40 ZR18 tires.

Thanks. For some reason I'm hopeless when it comes to wheel/tire fitment. Can't seem to get my head around it. Normally I'm a quick study, but....
    1992 500E

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I think that is captruff's car that is shown above with the BMW. So he can chime in as to 19s .. yes the absolutely will fit.

18" is as large as I would go for "street" use on an E500E. A 17" (say an Evo II) may even be a better compromise for overall comfort and looks.

IMHO 18" looks great. I've never been disappointed with mine.

The only reason for going with a "staggered" setup is looks, looks and looks. Or aka stance, stance and more stance. There is no functional benefit other than perhaps a slight amount more traction at the rear, where it's needed.

I think that is captruff's car that is shown above with the BMW. So he can chime in as to 19s .. yes the absolutely will fit.

18" is as large as I would go for "street" use on an E500E. A 17" (say an Evo II) may even be a better compromise for overall comfort and looks.

IMHO 18" looks great. I've never been disappointed with mine.

The only reason for going with a "staggered" setup is looks, looks and looks. Or aka stance, stance and more stance. There is no functional benefit other than perhaps a slight amount more traction at the rear, where it's needed.
    Correct, that is my car and those are Brabus III 19x10 front and 19x10.5 rear

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

Thanks, Jeff. Wnat size tires are you using, and are you finding the ride a bit rough on the street? Is car stock height or has it been lowered. Mine has been lowered, so may not even be an option.
    1992 500E

Quote Originally Posted by linjam View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. Wnat size tires are you using, and are you finding the ride a bit rough on the street? Is car stock height or has it been lowered. Mine has been lowered, so may not even be an option.
    The tires are staggered 275/30/19 front and 285/30/19 rear. Michelin PS2 offer a decent ride, but then again this car is rarely driven. Car is running #1 bump pads on stock springs

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    The tires are staggered 275/30/19 front and 285/30/19 rear. Michelin PS2 offer a decent ride, but then again this car is rarely driven. Car is running #1 bump pads on stock springs

Jeff
    Ah. Thanks, Jeff. I've a feeling with my car lowered the wheel wells will not allow.
    1992 500E

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Ah. Thanks, Jeff. I've a feeling with my car lowered the wheel wells will not allow.
    Depends what wheels you are installing. If it's the monoblocks in 8" front/ 9" rear, you'll have plenty of room. Most wheels 10" wide or less will fit without issues.

Gerry, thanks for your post re the fan clutch. I had mine replaced two years ago, and now you've made me wonder if I got the Horton or the Sachs and if it's worth changing again should it be the latter. There is also an aftermarket one from ACM. How does the new one work to keep things cooler?

These cars do run warm, and it would be nice to address that. I also notice you have the vented flaps under the headlights. What effect does that have?

I also think I remember reading something somewhere about tricking the thermostat or something......

And then there is this mod:

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2834

James
    Last edited by linjam; 08-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    1992 500E

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Depends what wheels you are installing. If it's the monoblocks in 8" front/ 9" rear, you'll have plenty of room. Most wheels 10" wide or less will fit without issues.

Thanks, Dave. I'll have to check the width of my current monoblocks. I'm sure they are all the same, however. If they are 8s, I could move two to 9 or if they are all 9, I could move two to 10, I suppose. Anyone have opinions on this as far as looks/function are concerned?
    Last edited by linjam; 08-23-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    1992 500E

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Gerry, thanks for your post re the fan clutch. I had mine replaced two years ago, and now you've made me wonder if I got the Horton or the Sachs and if it's worth changing again should it be the latter. There is also an aftermarket one from ACM. How does the new one work to keep things cooler? These cars do run warm, and it would be nice to address that.
    Horton & Sachs should be essentially identical, and are the OE/OEM clutch... you want these if possible. The ACM is acceptable on a tight budget but in general I wouldn't recommend it if you can afford the OE/OEM unit. These cars do run warm, but that isn't necessarily a problem. If it doesn't get much above 100°C (the unmarked line between 80 and 120), don't lose sleep over it. Seriously.

I also notice you have the vented flaps under the headlights. What effect does that have? I also think I remember reading something somewhere about tricking the thermostat or something......
    Vented panels under the headlights allows more direct airflow to the airbox, and may increase power by 0.000003% at speeds over 150mph, give or take a bit. Nothing to do with engine cooling though.

I wouldn't even think about an electric fan conversion unless you spend a lot of time driving in slow traffic in hot climates (i.e., Miami). The fans are noisy and shouldn't be needed if the rest of the cooling system is working properly.

Thanks, gsxr. I'll have to check the width of my current monoblocks. I'm sure they are all the same, however. If they are 8s, I could move two to 9 or if they are all 9, I could move two to 10, I suppose. Anyone have opinions on this as far as looks/function are concerned?
    If you have all 8's, yes you could get the 9's for the rear. All 9's would be a nice option. There are no 10" monoblocks unless you move to the 2-pc style, and these are ungodly expensive new, and used ones are almost guaranteed to have problems (and, they're still ungodly expensive used, >$2k/set). Can you start an OWNER thread, and post some photos of your car & wheels in that thread? From the small photo in your signature, it almost looks like you might have 9" all around, and/or have spacers...

From the small photo in your signature
    Snapped in the alley behind American Service Center/MB of Arlington. James - would be great if you could join me and some of the other local E500E owners in the area at a future GTG.
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

Horton & Sachs should be essentially identical, and are the OE/OEM clutch... you want these if possible. The ACM is acceptable on a tight budget but in general I wouldn't recommend it if you can afford the OE/OEM unit. These cars do run warm, but that isn't necessarily a problem. If it doesn't get much above 100°C (the unmarked line between 80 and 120), don't lose sleep over it. Seriously.

Vented panels under the headlights allows more direct airflow to the airbox, and may increase power by 0.000003% at speeds over 150mph, give or take a bit. Nothing to do with engine cooling though.

I wouldn't even think about an electric fan conversion unless you spend a lot of time driving in slow traffic in hot climates (i.e., Miami). The fans are noisy and shouldn't be needed if the rest of the cooling system is working properly.

If you have all 8's, yes you could get the 9's for the rear. All 9's would be a nice option. There are no 10" monoblocks unless you move to the 2-pc style, and these are ungodly expensive new, and used ones are almost guaranteed to have problems (and, they're still ungodly expensive used, >$2k/set). Can you start an OWNER thread, and post some photos of your car & wheels in that thread? From the small photo in your signature, it almost looks like you might have 9" all around, and/or have spacers...

Thanks for all your advice, Dave. I want things to be the best they can be but very much appreciate time saved from tilting at windmills.

My apologies. I must have misread your post to read the recent Hortons were an upgrade from the older Sachs.

I will start an owner thread and possibly pictures I have, but no wheel close-ups yet, which will have to wait, as I'm traveling. My car is in the shop, actually, so I'll call my mechanic and ask him to look.

Btw, I've long thought I should get a set of OEM 16s just to have all original parts on hand in case of any UNLIKELY sale. I was intrigued by Gerry's 17 inch version of those, which means I might try and tap his Dutch connection at some point.

Thanks for indulging this junior member.

Jamie
    Last edited by linjam; 08-27-2015 at 02:36 AM.
    1992 500E

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    Snapped in the alley behind American Service Center/MB of Arlington. James - would be great if you could join me and some of the other local E500E owners in the area at a future GTG.
    Well observed, Greg. My mechanic there is one of the few craftsmen left there. His name is Marvin Wentzel. Great guy.

I'd love to meet at one of those events and have received your PMs regarding such. It's just that I've been traveling 80% plus of the time, so life in the area has been heavily edited. But keep me posted and thanks for that.

Jamie
    1992 500E

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Basically the "old" original-equipment Sachs fan clutches are now branded Horton, because the companies are one company (I think there was a merger/acquisition some years ago).

I HIGHLY recommend shelling out for the "real" OE fan clutch whenever and wherever possible. There is also strong evidence that many if not most OE clutches were not operating correctly when new, and that MB/Sachs-Horton has "fixed" the issue in recent years so that the fan clutches operate more as they were originally intended to.

I recently installed an OE (made in 1992) "Sachs" MB fan clutch in my E500, that had 50,000 documented original miles on it. While the new clutch operates somewhat better than my original unit with 130K miles on it, when it's 95-100F ambient temperature outside with the A/C on, in heavy traffic, my car will STILL get to 100-105C indicated temperature, and it runs at 95C indicated temp when moving in traffic on these extremely hot days.

When the temperature outside is less than 85F, the car runs at the normal 85-92C indicated temperature range, even with the A/C running.

In the future, I am going to install a new factory Horton OE fan clutch. I'm just getting up the gumption to may the $$$ for one

Cheers,
    Gerry

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I recently installed an OE (made in 1992) "Sachs" MB fan clutch in my E500, that had 50,000 documented original miles on it. While the new clutch operates somewhat better than my original unit with 130K miles on it, when it's 95-100F ambient temperature outside with the A/C on, in heavy traffic, my car will STILL get to 100-105C indicated temperature, and it runs at 95C indicated temp when moving in traffic on these extremely hot days.

When the temperature outside is less than 85F, the car runs at the normal 85-92C indicated temperature range, even with the A/C running.

In the future, I am going to install a new factory Horton OE fan clutch. I'm just getting up the gumption to may the $$$ for one
    Gerry, make sure you do the "roar test" when the car is indicating 100-105C. If the clutch is engaged and roaring, replacing it with a new one is just throwing money away.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I had my car emissions-tested again today, as Texas has gone to a new "single sticker" registration/inspection system rather than the "dual sticker" system they used to use until March 2015.

I updated the inspection grid with this year's numbers, located at this post: http://www.500eboard.com/forums/show...ll=1#post17267

I ran the car a good 20 miles before the test, making sure that most of it was either freeway or at least 50 MPH. This included one full-throttle acceleration blast getting onto a freeway on-ramp at rush hour. Forgot how much fun the E5er is at full-bore. Note to self ... need to do more of that.

Cheers,
    Gerry

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (10-10-2015), nocfn (10-09-2015), sheward (10-09-2015), TerryA (10-10-2015)

Right on Gerry! More E500 full-bore moments! I got lucky with a few of my cars - the renewal date was one month before my inspection expired. In that case, the car can wait an extra year before being inspected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Patrick
    1987 560SL (Current Project Car)
    1995 E300D, 2005 G500
    1997 Porsche 993 C2S, 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
    1993 500E Signal Red / Black SOLD

38. The Following User Says Thank You to texas993 For This Useful Post:

Klink (11-01-2015)

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    in my best bill clinton, i feel your pain
    Funny I noticed your emoji smoking the cigar, taking on greater metaphorical significance .....
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

40. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Klink (11-01-2015)

It's kinda strange for me,you guys looking at the 500E as a fast car while i'm thinking about it as a comfy cruiser.... for me the RS4 is fast,i've never driven or experienced a faster car.
    Nothing to bragg about though.. I quite aware of way faster cars out there.
    This just came to my mind
    Mercedes 500E limited '95
    Audi RS4 b5 642 HP / 750Nm
    Audi S6 4G stage 3 675hp / 820Nm

Marc

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Marc R For This Useful Post:

Klink (11-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc R View Post
    It's kinda strange for me,you guys looking at the 500E as a fast car while i'm thinking about it as a comfy cruiser.... for me the RS4 is fast,i've never driven or experienced a faster car.
    Nothing to bragg about though.. I quite aware of way faster cars out there.
    This just came to my mind
    It is a comfy cruiser, for guys who own fast cars (many of them anyway). Just like it was the "must have" car for guys on the racing circuit back then, it is the "must have" car now for Benz aficionados, Porsche aficionados, German collectors in general, and people who'd rather not drive their "fast" cars all the time. Every serious car collector I've known or met either had one (or a few) of these cars, or wanted to.

Who wants to be in a Ferrari or Lamborghini every day? Only people who have never driven one. Everyone else recognizes the need for a "comfy" driver's car. Those are great cars, just not for every day, IMO. Apparently the people who drove them every day for a living when these came out agreed.

Nowadays AMG fulfills that same need, as does my S55, which is WAY faster than this car. But "in the wild", this car is plenty fast AND plenty comfy. It's the word AND that's most important there.

Cheers,

maw

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

Klink (11-01-2015), sheward (11-01-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Privacy concerns: Is there any risk posting your VIN or license plate?

Quote Originally Posted by SG-Motorsports View Post
    The only benefit I see is so Gerry can make his lists, which is no doubt why he's pouring on the passive aggressive sarcasm. I have no doubt that all the record keeping Gerry has done over the years has helped a lot of people to track the history of vehicles, but I'm not gonna go out of my way make that kind of info so easily available. Like the OP said, I wouldn't have a problem sending it to an individual.
    Wrong assumption, actually.

I have NEVER made any sort of blanket call for VIN numbers of folks' cars here. If a VIN number is posted in a "FOR SALE" ad then I have recorded it in the past, but I have not as a matter of course asked or stressed that folks should post their VIN numbers here on the site. Any VIN number that is posted, is only posted at the owner's decision/discretion.

Over the past few years, and especially the past few months -- I have not even had much time to even be on this site, because I'm traveling 50% of the time with my job. Literally there are 250+ threads -- many of them "FOR SALE" threads for cars -- that I have not even looked at yet because I have not had the time.

So to make a blanket statement/accusation/assumption that I am somehow trying to drive folks to post their VIN numbers so that I can somehow suck them up into my database is not very accurate, and more importantly not very appreciated. The inference that I'm up to no good and recording VINs for purely selfish reasons impugns both my intent and motives, and is not accurate.

I began "recording" VINs that popped up on 500Ecstasy about 12-13 years ago, and recording PDFs of eBay and Autotrader listings of cars for sale. I was much more aggressive about this in the past than I have been for the past 5 or so years, to be honest. And now that most cars (along with their VIN numbers) are being recorded here in the FOR SALE section, there is better documentation/discussion of them than a simple notation in my database.

It is inferences and accusations like SG-Motorsports' above that completely rile me up to the point of "WTF am I doing even spending the time and money I do in running this site?". I have never used this information in my own database in anything other than an upright and factual manner, posting it when a car comes up for sale or contributing to a discussion, or answering a private enquiry when someone has questions about a particular car that they are considering buying or looking at.

In the past, in a few cases, I have gotten belligerant and used factual information when a seller makes obviously wrong and/or demonstrably fraudulent claims pertaining to a vehicle's condition, mileage, or accident damage history IF I have definitive proof that what they are claiming is wrong, or they are deliberately hiding something. I see no wrong in doing this, and it has not been a regular occurrence.

Stevester500E: In terms of the comprehensive list of Worldwide and US VINs of E500E models ... and when it will be available on this site ...

I'll be honest with all of you. Probably never. This seems to be a very contentious and sensitive issue. Posting this information could open a can of worms, and could further the already "out there" perception among some folks that I am up to no good with my collection of information. Which again, is very very limited these days due to other priorities in my life. I have been going for stretches of up to a week at a time without even logging onto this site.

As of November 30, 2015, I will have owned and run this site for 7 years. And I have considered myself a part of the worldwide E500E community since August of 2003, which was a month before I purchased my own car. I would have hoped that over the past 12+ years, my actions and statements would have demonstrated my intent. I guess that is not the case, at least with certain individuals. Wow.

I have to admit, and I'll just say it ... I am very offended and pissed off by the above statements. I guess it doesn't help that my dad died two days ago here in Seattle, and my father in law passed away last night in Bend, OR, so I'm a bit emotionally ripped up right now not to mention separated from my family (who are en route to Bend). My kids lost both of their grandfathers in less than 48 hours. So excuse my vehemence ... to a degree.

But when I'm over the emotion that's happening right now in my life, I'm still going to be plenty offended and pissed off.

Cheers from Seattle,
    Gerry

Wrong assumption, actually.

I have NEVER made any sort of blanket call for VIN numbers of folks' cars here. If a VIN number is posted in a "FOR SALE" ad then I have recorded it in the past, but I have not as a matter of course asked or stressed that folks should post their VIN numbers here on the site. Any VIN number that is posted, is only posted at the owner's decision/discretion.

Over the past few years, and especially the past few months -- I have not even had much time to even be on this site, because I'm traveling 50% of the time with my job. Literally there are 250+ threads -- many of them "FOR SALE" threads for cars -- that I have not even looked at yet because I have not had the time.

So to make a blanket statement/accusation/assumption that I am somehow trying to drive folks to post their VIN numbers so that I can somehow suck them up into my database is not very accurate, and more importantly not very appreciated. The inference that I'm up to no good and recording VINs for purely selfish reasons impugns both my intent and motives, and is not accurate.

I began "recording" VINs that popped up on 500Ecstasy about 12-13 years ago, and recording PDFs of eBay and Autotrader listings of cars for sale. I was much more aggressive about this in the past than I have been for the past 5 or so years, to be honest. And now that most cars (along with their VIN numbers) are being recorded here in the FOR SALE section, there is better documentation/discussion of them than a simple notation in my database.

It is inferences and accusations like SG-Motorsports' above that completely rile me up to the point of "WTF am I doing even spending the time and money I do in running this site?". I have never used this information in my own database in anything other than an upright and factual manner, posting it when a car comes up for sale or contributing to a discussion, or answering a private enquiry when someone has questions about a particular car that they are considering buying or looking at.

In the past, in a few cases, I have gotten belligerant and used factual information when a seller makes obviously wrong and/or demonstrably fraudulent claims pertaining to a vehicle's condition, mileage, or accident damage history IF I have definitive proof that what they are claiming is wrong, or they are deliberately hiding something. I see no wrong in doing this, and it has not been a regular occurrence.

Stevester500E: In terms of the comprehensive list of Worldwide and US VINs of E500E models ... and when it will be available on this site ...

I'll be honest with all of you. Probably never. This seems to be a very contentious and sensitive issue. Posting this information could open a can of worms, and could further the already "out there" perception among some folks that I am up to no good with my collection of information. Which again, is very very limited these days due to other priorities in my life. I have been going for stretches of up to a week at a time without even logging onto this site.

As of November 30, 2015, I will have owned and run this site for 7 years. And I have considered myself a part of the worldwide E500E community since August of 2003, which was a month before I purchased my own car. I would have hoped that over the past 12+ years, my actions and statements would have demonstrated my intent. I guess that is not the case, at least with certain individuals. Wow.

I have to admit, and I'll just say it ... I am very offended and pissed off by the above statements. I guess it doesn't help that my dad died two days ago here in Seattle, and my father in law passed away last night in Bend, OR, so I'm a bit emotionally ripped up right now not to mention separated from my family (who are en route to Bend). My kids lost both of their grandfathers in less than 48 hours. So excuse my vehemence ... to a degree.

But when I'm over the emotion that's happening right now in my life, I'm still going to be plenty offended and pissed off.

Cheers from Seattle,
    Gerry

Gerry, I think somehow what I typed and what you read are two very different things. You're obviously offended and that was not my intention at all. I meant no disrespect nor was I trying to accuse you of any shady activity with your data gathering. I even mentioned that I thought it helped a lot of people, so I'm not sure why the miscommunication.

I was trying to make a light hearted sarcastic joke of my own because I felt your previous post was a bit degrading to those who disagree with your opinion about posting VIN's, especially given my experience just hours before at my local Licensing agency, which I explained. You may have never asked for VIN's directly but every for sale thread on this site asks for a VIN by someone, you guys even have a special icon for it. Your previous post was full of sarcasm and belittling people for not wanting to post that kind of info, which is why I made the comment/joke. In hind sight, I could/should have handled it better.

The bottom line is, you're offended. I apologize. I genuinely meant no disrespect. I'm not one to want to start controversy and as I'm sure you can see I don't post much, only when I feel I have something to genuinely contribute. In this case I felt there was nobody expressing the opposite opinion and given my experience earlier that day I felt I should share.

If you're in the Seattle area tonight and have free time, send me an email. I'd be happy to look you in the eye, shake your hand and buy you a beer.

Steve

my dad died two days ago here in Seattle, and my father in law passed away last night in Bend, OR, so I'm a bit emotionally ripped up right now not to mention separated from my family (who are en route to Bend). My kids lost both of their grandfathers in less than 48 hours.

Gerry
    You and your families are in our thoughts and prayers.

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

albdentist (11-21-2015), bing (11-21-2015), Glen (11-20-2015), J-Sauce (11-25-2015), r44raven (11-26-2015)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

...my dad died two days ago here in Seattle, and my father in law passed away last night in Bend, OR, so I'm a bit emotionally ripped up right now not to mention separated from my family (who are en route to Bend). My kids lost both of their grandfathers in less than 48 hours.

Gerry
    OMG, so sorry to hear this, Honch! Focus on your family, don't worry about these silly forum discussions.

You and your families are in our thoughts and prayers.
    +eleventybillion.

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

albdentist (11-21-2015), bing (11-21-2015), Glen (11-20-2015), r44raven (11-26-2015)

Gerry,

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this tough time in your lives.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trae For This Useful Post:

Glen (11-20-2015), r44raven (11-26-2015)

So sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathies. I hope you can dismiss the thoughts of what was most likely just misunderstanding.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

54. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

Glen (11-20-2015), r44raven (11-26-2015)

First and foremost. My most sincere condolences!
    Secondly, I feel words got taken out of context. I took SG motorsports words as he had hoped they'd be interpreted. And, also feel this (words taken out of context) has been at times, what has caused some rather heated arguments.

Again, my most sincere condolences to you and your family, Gerry.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    89 560 SEC
    92 300D 282k and counting.
    E5E .... at some point.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to 7delta For This Useful Post:

Klink (11-25-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Thank you to all of you for the condolences, prayers and good wishes. All of it is much appreciated and we were not expecting to get a double-whammy of two out of four parents dying within 36 hours. So it was a bit overwhelming. And I will not be seeing any of my family from the 19th of November through the 9th of December, because my wife and I both have to take care of our parents' affairs, and then I have a business trip in December. And my family is traveling to Boise on a scheduled property/house scouting trip. Ugh.

Also, thanks for the clarification on the intent of the SG Motorsports post. I accept the apology and realize that it may have come across (or been received) not in the spirit the comment was made. But I am a bit sensitive on this issue because it has arisen before in past years and I remember the VIN/license plate issue even came up many years back on 500Ecstasy. So it's not a new issue. I have never used any information I've gathered as any sort of leverage over, or intelligence about, anyone or their car. Mainly it was intended to track the history of cars as informational for future sales so that fraudulent sellers' claims could be refuted -- and my information has largely been used exactly for that purpose. And I am very happy to say that in at least 10 cases over the years, it has saved people from making poor buying decisions, and those people have been grateful to have had the previous information. But I have NEVER actively solicited people here for their VIN information (other than the occasional "NEEEED VIN!" smiley when they list a car for sale) in a blanket manner. In fact other than cars that come up for sale, and go to a forum member, I actually don't have the VIN numbers for particular members recorded. If you asked me, for example, what the VIN number of captruff's cherry 500E, or Klink's, or Jimbo's 500E was.....I wouldn't have that information in my detailed database.

So, I appreciate the clarification and I'm pretty much over my butt-hurtedness on it. Bigger fish to fry in terms of getting my dad's affairs sorted out.

Thanks everyone, and have a good one!
    Cheers,
    Gerry

58. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

600Eric (11-21-2015), 7delta (11-21-2015), albdentist (11-21-2015), bing (11-21-2015), gsxr (11-21-2015), J-Sauce (11-25-2015), Klink (11-25-2015), nocfn (11-21-2015), TerryA (11-25-2015)

Gerry, sorry for your loss. Look after yourself and the family.
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Sorry for your loss Gerry.... This is tragedy..... Stay strong
    Mercedes 500E limited '95
    Audi RS4 b5 642 HP / 750Nm
    Audi S6 4G stage 3 675hp / 820Nm

Marc

Mario

Hang in there buddy...

Sorry to hear of your losses Gerry.

Rgds,
    Chris
    Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

Hi Gerry, I'm very new to this forum, so it would be lying if I said I had a friendship as such with you. I'm also not trying stoke any kind of fire. However, this site is brilliant, I was able to make an informed decision to buy my 500e and I too asked for clarification of the VIN at the time. Had the seller not wanted to do this and GSXR wasn't kind enough to provide some further information out of that I may still have bought this car, but would have felt a lot more uneasy about it.

On a personal note I'm extremely sorry to hear about your loss. All the best anyway.

64. The Following User Says Thank You to 500enewbie For This Useful Post:

Klink (11-25-2015)

I, too, am sorry for your losses. Take care of the family and leave the board silliness to us.

Robert

Gerry,

I think most of us here share in your grief and genuinely wish only the best for you.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take Care
    Terry

67. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

albdentist (11-25-2015), Glen (11-25-2015)

Gerry,

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Best wishes in dealing with that comes with it.

Thank you for creating and maintaining the best auto forum on the web! It is greatly appreciated!

Gerry,

Sorry for your losses. I hope things become more stable for you in the near future. It's unfortunate when life comes at you in big waves like that. Your efforts on the board are appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Thanks for all of the good wishes, guys. It is acknowledged and truly appreciated. I'm back in Houston as of yesterday morning and home alone through Sunday, when I have to head back out to Seattle for my Dad's service on Monday afternoon. Then I'm off to Vegas for 5 days... On Thanksgiving night I'll go to some local friends' home at their invitation for dinner; and on Friday I will drive up to Dallas to visit our friend here on the forum, Patrick (texas993) to work on a 560SL (R107) that he recently purchased as a project car.

Things are slowing down a bit and I'm no longer running on pure adrenaline & autopilot like I was. Luckily things are OK & all set with regard to my Dad's estate and such. A lot of forethought and advance planning years ago made things very easy for my Mom and me to take care of. My wife reports that her Dad's stuff has settled down as well, and she is back from Bend, OR and visiting her Mother in downtown Portland through the 1st of December.

Last night, sitting at home I had the first "breakdown" moment where my Dad's death really hit me. I cried pretty uncontrollably for about 5 good minutes; man I hadn't cried like that in at least 30 years. I'm sure it will happen more in the future as certain events and things trigger memories. But I have my Dad to thank for my interest in fixing & maintaining cars watching & helping him as a young boy. Later on, he helped me a fair bit when I got my first "real" car, a 1984 VW Rabbit/Golf I GTI.

I'm going to move these condolence posts to my "PWNER" thread so that they don't clutter up this thread, and I'll add a small post that is a little tribute to my Dad, a man who I could not have been more blessed to have as my father and role model.

Thanks again to everyone for their good wishes. I'm looking forward to the Holidays !!!

Cheers,
    Gerry

71. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

8899 (11-25-2015), albdentist (11-25-2015), Klink (11-25-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Here is my personal mini-tribute to my Dad.
    Since it's my own PWNER thread, I get to put it here

scan0001.jpg
    My dad and mom with my sister, 1966
    Not long before I was born.

scan0002.jpg
    My dad as a college freshman, 1954.

scan0004.jpg
    My parents at their 50th college reunion, 2009
    Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR

scan0009.jpg
    Celebrating Christmas at my Portland house, 2000
    Yes, GVZ at one time had a full head of hair.

scan0012.jpg
    My Dad with my son, 2001

scan0022.jpg
    Me and my parents on my wedding day, 1996
    Menlo Park, CA

scan0020.jpg
    My folks at the Sphinx in Egypt.

scan0016.jpg
    My dad speaking at the retirement
    of a Weyerhaeuser colleague, 1997

I love you, Dad !!
    Attached Files Attached Files

73. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

600Eric (11-26-2015), 8899 (11-25-2015), albdentist (11-25-2015), alfosterjr (11-26-2015), e190revin (11-26-2015), Glen (11-25-2015), gsxr (11-25-2015), J-Sauce (11-25-2015), Klink (11-25-2015), lowman (11-25-2015), makemann (11-25-2015), Marc R (11-26-2015), Melville (11-25-2015), nocfn (11-25-2015), Roma_500E (11-26-2015), Russell R Coe (11-27-2015)

E500 Apprentice Guru
    Banzworld Ambassador

Wonderful Gerry, Godspeed!
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

75. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

r44raven (11-26-2015)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

So sorry to hear about this ,Gerry
    I feel with you

regards
    Stefan.

Cheers Honch. I'm sure your father told you plenty of times, as it seems like he was a straight family guy, but he must have been very proud of you. You're a standup fellow with great work ethic, a charitable personality and obviously that same appreciation for family. Continue to do your good work, as it is a testament to your father's character, and through it, he lives on in you.
    "Digestion kills r/t's!" -- 400Eric
    Click Here to view my mod thread

Best E.T. w/ N2O: 12.794 @ 110.82 - N/A: 13.805 @ 102.94

78. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J-Sauce For This Useful Post:

albdentist (11-25-2015), gsxr (11-25-2015), makemann (11-25-2015), Marc R (11-26-2015), nocfn (11-25-2015)

Gerry, thoughts and prayers from our family. Sure is tough losing two close family members in such quick succession, especially as we approach the holiday season!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    1992 500E 702/275

My condolences for your loss Gerry. Wonderful pictures of your family, thanks for sharing. Your in my thoughts.....
    Andy
    94 E500
    (128k miles)....sold
    2000 Land Rover Disco (112k miles)
    95 Mazda Miata (104k miles)
    91 BMW 325i (140+K miles odo broken!)

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric" 600Eric's Avatar

Hey Gerry very sorry about the loss of both your father and father in-law. I cant imagine how difficult that must be especially because it appears like you were very close to them. I hope all the support and nice gestures from many on this forum gives you some level of comfort at such a difficult time. Hang in there man

Sincerely

"The Coal Roller..."

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Filled up the tank of my 560SEC tonight. Cheapest "Top Tier" gas I've seen in many moons.....

2016-02-08 22.38.26.jpg