Thread: CATALYTIC CONVERTER

CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Hi, will there be any performance gains if I remove the catalytic converter on my 93 500E?
    Eric P.

1992 500E, 1996 E50, 2000 E55. 1995 C36
    1972 911 ST, 1992 964 RS 3.8, 2005 Corvette C6
    1968 280 SE coupe, 1963 Lotus Cortina Ogle

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: CATALYTIC CONVERTER

You'll see some moderate (perhaps 5HP) gain if you remove the cat, just due to decreased restriction in the system. And you can and should only remove the cat if you legally can do this (i.e. your local or state government doesn't require it). You also may gain a bit of resonance/noise with removal of the cat.

There are alternatives such as "high-flow" cats that provide less restriction than the stock cat does, while still giving you the emissions reduction that is often needed.

That said, I'd only remove the catalytic converter if it's not required, and also as part of an overall exhaust system redesign to reduce total exhaust system restriction. Just removing the cat and replacing it with a "straight pipe" is really not going to get you much, in and of itself. Work with an exhaust shop to design an entire exhaust system from the exhaust manifolds back to the tailpipe.

Cheers,
    Gerry

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Cat removal gets you very little, if any, increase in peak power. It may shift the power curve slightly, maybe. I did some back to back dragstrip testing on this a couple months ago and was surprised that the car ran essentially identical times/speeds with or without the cats. There was not the expected tenth quicker / 1mph faster you'd expect with the cats removed. I haven't done back to back dyno runs, but if there was any significant (7-10hp or more) change in power (either up or down), it would have been apparent at the 'strip. YMMV, etc...

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

But the exhaust note will be sharper
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    E32 750
    E500E 91 ME 945 (sold)

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

I've been using magnaflow high flow cats w/ Great results of late.. you can see through the bloody things and sized correctly you won't lose any dupilcateable HP.

With the right system is sounds Plenty sharp, trust me!

Jonathan
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

I had with the 500e engine 342bhp on the dyno with a open exhaust (Eisenmann) and the Cat's removed.
    W124 E60, Eisenmann

Quote Originally Posted by michel
    I had with the 500e engine 342bhp on the dyno with a open exhaust (Eisenmann) and the Cat's removed.

Hmmm that's interesting. With the Eisenmann, did they change the resonator and muffler at the rear with free flowing ones? Is the exhaust sound loud at full throttle?
    Eric P.

1992 500E, 1996 E50, 2000 E55. 1995 C36
    1972 911 ST, 1992 964 RS 3.8, 2005 Corvette C6
    1968 280 SE coupe, 1963 Lotus Cortina Ogle

Quote Originally Posted by michel
    Stunning numbers
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    E32 750
    E500E 91 ME 945 (sold)

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

My 1994 E500 dyno'd at 280hp at the wheels, which translates into an estimated 341hp at the crank assuming an 18% driveline loss. Stock cats, Y-pipe, Remus muffler, and 1992 LH module. There's a detailed thread on this on 500Ecstasy, when Scott resurrects it I can post a link here.

Anyway, the dyno numbers were backed up with real world performace as well: a best (uncorrected) dragstrip time of 13.674 @ 102.88 at sea level (Sacramento, CA) with stock wheels/tires, stock gearing, no LSD, trunk emptied, back seat removed, and 4 gallons of fuel. It would have been a bit quicker but wheelspin was an issue at the launch. I'm reasonably certain that it would have pulled 13.5xx if I had been able to get it hooked up (via drag radials and/or limited slip diff, which I installed a few years later in mid-2009). I believe this may be the current dragstrip record for any E500E with a 5.0L engine and no power adders (NOS, turbo, blower, etc). GVZ currently holds the record for a NOS'd car, although Justin is trying to dethrone him, heh-heh...

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

Only cats removal or replacing with 100cells racing-kats will not work properly on the stock exhaust-system!
    But what works is when you create a new exhaust-system completely 2-way from engine to end, of course with 100cell racing-cats. Key is to reduce not only backpressure, but also turbulences in the exhaust.
    And all people so far i talked to, both on 500ecstasy and some german Forums, told me the difference is very noticable when flooring the car. Also i talked to a guy from some Youtube Videos which build a custom 2-Way exhaust for his 400E and he also told me there was a noticable difference in acceleration and on high-speed quicker intermediate sprints.

In german Forum someone did that (Thomas Burgmann, IIRC) too, he was before/after on same dyno with his 500E and he had like 328 DIN-HP before and IIRC 347 DIN-HP afterwards. Also Torque increased around 15-25NM (don't remeber right numbers). Also IIRC the Dyno was the Dyno from Bernard Marijanovic, the allmighty german M119 God.

Here was a guy from 500ecstasy which had written a detailed review of his change to a race-cat powered two-way exhaust system on his 500E. The Video i took from his Hompage and uploaded it to YT. He also has written in that topic that the power-gain is very noticable
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg7m-zejvyg

But forget it to do a 2-Way exhaust on your own, right diameters and everything has to be planned&calculated by a skilled company, people that do that peoperly need to understand fluid mechanics properly!
    In Germany basicall ALL of the custom Exhaust-Builders are in German Motorsports since at least decades and knowing their Job very very well.
    Christian K.
    06/1992 500E - DB199 Blauschwarz-Metallic
    09/1989 300E - DB172 Anthrazitgrau-Metallic
    11/1998 E430 - DB339 Violan-Metallic
    06/2003 CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR - DB197 Obsidianschwarz-Metallic

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I tried the factory cat-delete pipe. Zero power gain. None. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. I have a hard time believing just the custom dual exhaust is worth ~20hp, however my '94 was making ~340hp at the crank with either pipe; i.e. stock cats or factory cat-delete pipe. Maybe the other folks had stock cats that were partially blocked, making the new/custom exhaust seem to produce more power???

More photos are here.

A vid of my car going 0-200kph is here (20MB MPG file).

That's with stock cats, Y-pipe, Remus muffler, stock gears, no limited-slip, stock wheels/tires, and at 2400' elevation with 3/4 tank of fuel. 0-60 was 5.84 sec, 0-100 was 13.69, 0-130 was 24.21 sec. Numbers are from RaceLogic AP-22 datalogger. Full data is here, look at the Jan-3-2009 info (text file).

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr
    I tried the factory cat-delete pipe. Zero power gain. None. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

Curious...

Your website says the cat-delete pipe uses 55mm tubing vs the stock 50mm tubing. I wonder why the factory did this?

Did you notice much of a difference in the exhaust note or sound level with the cat-delete pipe in place?

Which 500s were originally equipped with this pipe? Does anyone know the cost or part #? I might still buy one!

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Cadence
    Your website says the cat-delete pipe uses 55mm tubing vs the stock 50mm tubing. I wonder why the factory did this?
    Good question - I'm not exactly sure.

Did you notice much of a difference in the exhaust note or sound level with the cat-delete pipe in place?
    With the stock resonator and muffler, no, there was very little difference. However with the resonator replaced with a Y-pipe, there was an annoying "rattle" resonance at lower RPM's under heavy throttle. IMO, you can remove either the cats, or the resonator, but not both.

Which 500s were originally equipped with this pipe? Does anyone know the cost or part #? I might still buy one!
    I believe only very early 500E's which were delivered to countries that did not have emissions requirements would have received this setup... possibly only 1991 or some 1992 model years, Europe only. I suspect that VERY few 500E's came from the factory like this. Without the O2 sensor, and no closed-loop operation, fuel economy suffered and there was no significant power increase either. If you buy the cat-delete pipe, you'll need to have an O2 sensor bung welded in, so you can attach the O2 sensor in your car - works fine.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Good question - I'm not exactly sure.

I believe only very early 500E's which were delivered to countries that did not have emissions requirements would have received this setup... possibly only 1991 or some 1992 model years, Europe only. I suspect that VERY few 500E's came from the factory like this. Without the O2 sensor, and no closed-loop operation, fuel economy suffered and there was no significant power increase either. If you buy the cat-delete pipe, you'll need to have an O2 sensor bung welded in, so you can attach the O2 sensor in your car - works fine.

Dave, I don't think my '92 has an O2 sensor, and my cats are starting to rattle a bit. I'm weighing the benefit of a "performance" exhaust from there back, vs. a simple straight pipe cat delete -- bang for the buck. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

maw

Hi, having just finished the exh. rebuild on the 500, not being able to go w new parts due to cost (there are other $€£ consumers in the garage) if I could afford it a completely new stock syst. is on the list. Now with a good stock system on after the first drive, I put my word for the oem syst. untouched, and no longer thinking of the (complex well enginered Helmholtz resonator) delete. speking of wich I use the center piece from a SL500! I was a bit fooled by the statement in the 500E servicebook saying the resonator is of the same kind as the one on the SL, well not really. I had to alter the two entering pipes and the exiting one and the suspension pin, the resonator itself is identical.

"With the stock resonator and muffler, no, there was very little difference. However with the resonator replaced with a Y-pipe, there was an annoying "rattle" resonance at lower RPM's under heavy throttle. IMO, you can remove either the cats, or the resonator, but not both".

It should be remembered, the sometimes unliked and seen unnessesary, thing, originally was designed for a roadster! you don't want a droone, just a whisper, no? Remember also the buyers group
    targeted by MB, they liked the discressíon and understated appearance instead of a loud* here I come*expression. Go to BRABUS if your bold enough.
    One thing about the centrally mounted silencer is... the 400/420 part IS simpler/lighter in construction but I have not heard from it yet.

Conclusion from me, before laborating w the exh. try a car in a good condition w stock system on, then ask yourself is it worth 1 or 2 tenths or an awfully ghastly noise whereever you go?
    Nö in this case I love the sound of silence.

I do really consider, looking at your pictures of the cat delete pipe (thank you for that and all you have in your archive) this is what I'm thinking for the 6liter but w 2 race or sports catalystst's instead of that equaliser and also an X pipe somewhere along seems nessesary, that I belive would free some more real HP.
    Any objection your Honor? Roger
    Last edited by Taxi Driver; 07-21-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    '92 500E 6.0 AMG
    '93 400E 5.0 AMG
    '96 E50 AMG
    '96 CL500
    '99 C43 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    Dave, I don't think my '92 has an O2 sensor, and my cats are starting to rattle a bit. I'm weighing the benefit of a "performance" exhaust from there back, vs. a simple straight pipe cat delete -- bang for the buck. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

maw
    Hi, i would advise to use the search function. Easy keywords like "cats" or "metalkat" or "magnaflow" will lead you to the right topics about it. We had lots of topics/reply about that in the last half year so you will have a good long read after you find it.
    A Member from this Board called "Jelmer" has replaced his broken and molten cats with my advise of using aftermarket magnaflow 100cell metal cats. He is highly pleased with the results and has posted tons of pictures and videos of this change here.

Hope this helps
    Christian K.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    All USA-spec cars have an O2 sensor. It's hidden on the top of the pipes right in front of the cats. In general, I wouldn't recommend deleting the cats on a street car, as it's technically illegal, and the car won't pass emissions testing without the cats (may not apply where you live). If you do remove the cats, you'll probably want to keep the stock resonator (middle muffler).

I'd recommend to either get new OE cats, the aftermarket 400E/500E-specific replacement cat, or the generic/universal/small high-flow cats. Used OE cats would be the easiest, if you could find them for sale. Maybe check with Jono...?

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

*I'd recommend to either get new OE cats, the aftermarket 400E/500E-specific replacement cat, or the generic/universal/small high-flow cats. Used OE cats would be the easiest, if you could find them for sale.*

Yeah, and that at a price too, roundabout 2 600€ and another 1 600€or the rest of the system! Well go ahead and order, no wonder most people try to get around that by constructing or replacing w aftermarket parts and hoping to get some HP in exchange at the same time. I did earlier and will do on the 6liter but one of the problems , there aren't enough space for a.m. cat's, only the so called
    race cats will fit side by side and I am sensitive to how the system visually appears and also to *tune it in* hence some resonator is essensial. I have seen some *homebuilt* exh. systems over the years
    and most of them looks like shit and are too loud for anyone slightly over the age of 20. My point of wiew,, Roger
    Last edited by Taxi Driver; 07-21-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    '92 500E 6.0 AMG
    '93 400E 5.0 AMG
    '96 E50 AMG
    '96 CL500
    '99 C43 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    *I'd recommend to either get new OE cats, the aftermarket 400E/500E-specific replacement cat, or the generic/universal/small high-flow cats. Used OE cats would be the easiest, if you could find them for sale.*

Yeah, and that at a price too, roundabout 2 600€ and another 1 600€or the rest of the system! Well go ahead and order, no wonder most people try to get around that by constructing or replacing w aftermarket parts and hoping to get some HP in exchange at the same time. I did earlier and will do on the 6liter but one of the problems , there aren't enough space for a.m. cat's, only the so called
    race cats will fit side by side and I am sensitive to how the system visually appears and also to *tune it in* hence some resonator is essensial. I have seen some *homebuilt* exh. systems over the years
    and most of them looks like shit and are too loud for anyone slightly over the age of 20. My point of wiew,, Roger
    There isnt any change in appearance of sound and/or loudness when only replacing the cats. Jelmer did confirmed this and he is the one that made this change.
    Christian K.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian_K View Post
    There isnt any change in appearance of sound and/or loudness when only replacing the cats. Jelmer did confirmed this and he is the one that made this change.
    Indeed. Only change is they hang about 2-4cm below the car (aftermarket ones are round and fat, instead of long and slim like the OEMs)

BUT, if your unlucky, you will get some noise right under the car and you need to wrap and shield off i.e not transmitting at the tailpipes but from somewhere around the catalysts, maybe has to do w sheatmetal thickness of the cat. build. That sound or resonance/noise comes esp. under heavy acc
    round 4 000 rpm, I have heard, at least two 500E w that phenomenon and find it a bit annoying, I like the stealthy action more and more of the 500,, Roger
    '92 500E 6.0 AMG
    '93 400E 5.0 AMG
    '96 E50 AMG
    '96 CL500
    '99 C43 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    BUT, if your unlucky, you will get some noise right under the car and you need to wrap and shield off i.e not transmitting at the tailpipes but from somewhere around the catalysts, maybe has to do w sheatmetal thickness of the cat. build. That sound or resonance/noise comes esp. under heavy acc
    round 4 000 rpm, I have heard, at least two 500E w that phenomenon and find it a bit annoying, I like the stealthy action more and more of the 500,, Roger
    Jelmer will confirm you that this is NOT the case when just replacing the cats.

Even completely custom build exhausts dont have any resonance sounds at all. I have asked 4,5 people in german Forums with custom exhausts built from manifolds till the end, by professional exhaust-building companies and there is no weird sound at all.
    Christian K.

Christian, is this an arguement, personal oppinions don't really compare, allright people are satisfied w some custombuilt systems some aren't.
    What I have experienced can not be questioned, what other people has said is OK is OK for them and also we don't know how *itchy* they are.

Please do compare w a good o.e.m exh. I think many of those buying a custombuilt syst. are already on the last leg and are happy to have that *new* exh. and the money saved compared to a new o.e.m exh.

One thing also, would you and *other people* question the fact that stainless steel systems do have another *note* and if that bothers, turn the stereo
    up a bit. I do have my oppinion and I'm not trying to convince anyone there, are different standpoints, so no one can be right or wrong here,,Roger
    '92 500E 6.0 AMG
    '93 400E 5.0 AMG
    '96 E50 AMG
    '96 CL500
    '99 C43 AMG

~BANNED~

You get what you pay for. Having a muffler shop slap together an exhaust vs. an exhaust build specific to your car can result in weird sounds. Same goes for using cheap parts and material to save $. A well build exhaust takes a bit of time to design and it's not cheap, while keeping in mind its purpose.

My custom exhaust sounds perfect, at idle and at all RPM's with no weird sounds to speak of...even going backwards, the car sounds perfect.

I'd recommend to either get new OE cats, the aftermarket 400E/500E-specific replacement cat, or the generic/universal/small high-flow cats. Used OE cats would be the easiest, if you could find them for sale.
    I was unable to find a new one anywhere and, luckily, found a used one (thanks Capruff). I am assuming that it should bolt right on with new seals. Anything else I need to know about R&R? Jeff said you would know GSXR...

Magnaflow has a "direct replacement" ... would that be better than a "good" used one?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to maduell For This Useful Post:

Klink (04-27-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I'd prefer a good used one over anything aftermarket. R&R is a PITA without a lift, and even with a lift it can be a PITA... especially if the car spend any time in the rust belt. Usually, the worst part is separating the resonator (middle muffler) from the main cat pipe... it can be VERY tight if it's never been separated before. Check all the rubber hangers and replace any that are old/cracked; remember the cat hangers are NOT the same as the rear muffler donuts.

Maudell, what was wrong with your old cats? Did you try buying new from MB and were told they are NLA or something? I thought MB would have to provide emissions related parts for quite a long time, I wouldn't expect the cats to be NLA already.

sold my cats for 500 to scrap yard

I'dprefer a good used one over anything aftermarket. R&R is a PITA without alift, and even with a lift it can be a PITA... especially if the car spend anytime in the rust belt. Usually, the worst part is separating the resonator(middle muffler) from the main cat pipe... it can be VERY tight if it's neverbeen separated before. Check all the rubber hangers and replace any that areold/cracked; remember the cat hangers are NOT the same as the rear mufflerdonuts.

Maudell, what was wrong with your old cats? Did you try buying new from MB andwere told they are NLA or something? I thought MB would have to provideemissions related parts for quite a long time, I wouldn't expect the cats to beNLA already.
    I heard a rattle noise on start up a couple of weeks ago coming from that area.Once warmed up it went away. Hit them with a rubber mallet and it sounded like a bag of rocks in there.

The cause was probably something that developed as I was trying to diagnose and fix a misfire and no start when the car was up to temp....in the process I replaced spark plug wires, plugs, all breather and vacuum lines,throttle body (my original unit was rebuilt by BBA Reman and I got newer unitinstead, to rule out THAT), ISC/CC....etc, etc, etc.

Here is the long thread on that process…

I checked with Lionel at MB Gainesville and he said NLA…from reading posts I have found, it sounds like a new one, if found would be approx. $2400.

Two local indy shops said they would not recommend an aftermarket and one said they sound different and do not have a good lifespan as well. I use MB parts only on this car and that is another reason for leaning to the used one. It is in excellent condition from the outside so I am hopeful that I do not have to worry about another one.

The hangers on mine are original and in pretty good condition but I am replacing them anyway.

There is no rust under my car (has lived it's entire life here in Portland), it IS a 1993 so I thought about the same thing, what problem will arise when trying to remove the unit. All bolts/clamps are in good shape, the front/top one has shiny (S/S) nuts on the clamp so I am tempted to put it on the lift and replace myself using a tranny lift to hold it up….since the shop I would take it to said he would not install a used cat. That front one looks like the PITA because of its location.

The rear left tube is not flanged so I am guessing the resonator side has a special flanged connection…?

W140 500 vs e500e cats - are they interchangeable?
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/232311386291?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    i guess not.... they looks a little bit different....
    Attached Images Attached Images

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by mercepor View Post
    W140 500 vs e500e cats - are they interchangeable?
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/232311386291?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    i guess not.... they looks a little bit different....
    No. The pipes are not the same, it's definitely not a bolt-on, not even close. You might be able cut & weld the catalysts if they are the same lengths, but I'm not sure about that either.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

mercepor (04-27-2017)

Even if so, they wont last another 10 years for sure... When i read through the german forums, it seems the cat's fail very often these days on the M119 & M120 Plattforms... Better to go with a different solution IMHO
    Christian K.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Christian_K For This Useful Post:

mercepor (04-27-2017)

There is a company in germany now offering these ones as a replacement for the 500E and E420 catalytic converters... They are made to factory spec by a larger exhaust company. They contain i beleive 4x400cell catalytic converters - same cell density like stock.
    $_72_1.JPG$_72.JPG$_57_1.JPG$_57.JPG
    Christian K.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christian_K For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-09-2017), Hakie (06-09-2017), Klink (1 Week Ago), sheward (06-13-2017), skikrazey (3 Days Ago), Taxi Driver (06-11-2017), TerryA (06-09-2017)

Christian Can you give some more details or possibly link to the seller? I'm in the market for new or good used cat for my 500E

38. The Following User Says Thank You to darek_u For This Useful Post:

Klink (1 Week Ago)

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Quote Originally Posted by darek_u View Post
    Christian Can you give some more details or possibly link to the seller? I'm in the market for new or good used cat for my 500E
    My version... it’s compatible with the stock resonator/rear muffler.

Catalysts are a HM 400cell cat that’s 50state legal. It’s a lot more free flowing than the stock unit while being smog legal.

This is an upgrade to the stock unit pipe diameter has been increased. The 2-1-2 pipe is a full 3” unit. The 3” pipe is oval bent to maximize ground clearance while offering the performance benefits of a 3” pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5thscaleracer For This Useful Post:

darek_u (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), Klink (1 Week Ago)

Cool stuff!

You should offer the car catalyst section with 100cell metall catalytic converters....
    Christian K.

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

You should offer the car catalyst section with 100cell metall catalytic converters....

That can be arranged...

100CPI cats from HJS are about $980 each.

so basically
    Front section w/ test pipes $1500.00
    HJS Cats Assembled $1960.00

total $3460.00

I did one for a customer in Canada but he supplied the HJS cats.

the 100CPI metallic cats made in Canada or USA are TOTAL CRAP i refuse to use anything but HJS for 100cpi cats.
    but to be honest whats the point of a 100CPI cat???

it won't pass emissions testing???

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by 5thscaleracer View Post
    That can be arranged... 100CPI cats from HJS are about $980 each.
    $980 EACH? Are they gold-plated and hand-delivered by supermodels?

but to be honest whats the point of a 100CPI cat??? it won't pass emissions testing???
    Will they pass emission testing outside of California (49-state)? I'm guessing some people may live in areas with less stringent requirements?

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

$980 EACH? Are they gold-plated and hand-delivered by supermodels?

Will they pass emission testing outside of California (49-state)? I'm guessing some people may live in areas with less stringent requirements?

Not sure ask the Germans why it so expensive lol...

They won't pass 49 states either because the 100CPI does not have enough filtering properties to clean everything up.

The only thing a 100CPI cat will do is prevent fuel smell to pass tech inspection at race events.

for OBD2 applications its a little different the 100CPI might pass emissions testing. European cars equipped with OBD2 especially any car produced after 2010 is every efficient.

BTW
    Ebay special $899....
    https://www.ebay.com/i/251731770636?chn=ps&dispItem=1

the DIY special make your own end caps for $499.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HJS-Tuning-C....c100677.m4598

46. The Following User Says Thank You to 5thscaleracer For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Days Ago)

E500E Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darek_u View Post
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

There is a company in germany now offering these ones as a replacement for the 500E and E420 catalytic converters... They are made to factory spec by a larger exhaust company. They contain i beleive 4x400cell catalytic converters - same cell density like stock.
    $_72_1.JPG$_72.JPG$_57_1.JPG$_57.JPG
    Any chance of the name/contact details of this company?

Many thanks.

Stephen

the 100CPI metallic cats made in Canada or USA are TOTAL CRAP i refuse to use anything but HJS for 100cpi cats.
    but to be honest whats the point of a 100CPI cat???

it won't pass emissions testing???
    I have 100cell cats in my 500E and it works. I DO pass the emissions tests. They are made by Magnaflow for the EU market and were ~110€/each incl. VAT.
    Christian K.

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

I have 100cell cats in my 500E and it works. I DO pass the emissions tests. They are made by Magnaflow for the EU market and were ~110€/each incl. VAT.

Ceramic or metallic?

Got it a partnumber? I would like to test these out.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to 5thscaleracer For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago)

Ceramic or metallic?

Got it a partnumber? I would like to test these out.
    Metallic what else.... Never heard of 100cell nor 200cell ceramic. Ceramic is inferior.
    I think it were those ones. They have it with different diameters. I think we need 54mm or? It was 5 years ago - cant remember.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Magnaflow-Ren...QAAOSwEppUR4cy
    Christian K.