Thread: Help Needed: FGS Valve Body Intermediate Plate and Transmission Oil Filter

Help Needed: FGS Valve Body Intermediate Plate and Transmission Oil Filter

Recently purchased a FGS valve body and brought over to have my mechanic install in my car. I didn't realize that the valve body came without the intermediate plate until I went to pick up my car and told by my mechanic that I needed to get the correct intermediate plate. I was not there while the VB was getting installed otherwise would have stopped the installation. Unfortunately, I did not take down the p/n for the VB and the seller doesn't recall which of his 2 VB's he sent me, though he did say it came from one of two cars: 1993 400e WDBEA34E6PB929634, Trans: 1242700302/ 72235403805457 or 1994 420e WDBEA34E7RC102822, Trans number: 124 2700302/ 72236603960549. My car is a 94 E500 with transmission serial number 722.37003869068/1402702100. Seller also mentioned that depending on which transmission I had in my car, that I may not need the intermediate plate. On my mechanics recommendation, I have not driven too far or too aggressively, as he told me that doing so could adversely affect my transmission.

Yesterday, I took the car out for a test run but was in stop and go traffic and only got to do a couple of short straight-aways The car starts in first and I did not notice rough or abrupt gear shifts. On hard acceleration from stand-still, car starts in first and goes to 4k rpm before switching to second. I did notice that my kick down was not as immediate and on a few instances did not kick down. I didn't do any very aggressive driving or long highway runs so don't know if would drive/shift differently had I done so. Would the kick down issue be a symptom of an incorrect intermediate plate?

During the FGS valve body install, also had the mechanic change out all the parts as recommended in the FGS wiki. It was discovered that the transmission oil filter in the car was the standard one and not p/n
    A129 277 0195(winged with sliding part). Was a bit confused as from what I recall, the E500E only used p/n A1292770195, but my mechanic told me that my transmission does not have a pressure release valve(translation from Chinese) and that using p/n A1292770195 could adversely affect the transmission. Not sure if my mechanic is talking out of his ass or if there were any differences in Japan spec transmissions which would required the standard filter.

I am not a mechanical person nor do I have access to the EPC, so would greatly appreciate any help from fellow forum members in helping me to figure out if I have the correct parts in my car. In short my questions from above are:
    1) are the two valve bodies from the above cars the same and do they use the same intermediate plates and gaskets?
    2) what are the corresponding
    intermediate plate and gasket p/n's?
    3) does my car need the intermediate plate given my late model transmission(
    722.37003869068/1402702100) with the above valve bodies?
    4) is the kick down issue mentioned above a potential symptom of a wrong intermediate plate?
    5) is it safe to use the standard transmission oil filter or should I have it switched to p/n A1292770195 and what differences will I see?
    6) what is the "pressure release valve" mentioned by my mechanic and can I safely use p/n A1292770195?
    7) Does anyone have the correct intermediate plate which corresponds to the above valve bodies for sale? If the valve bodies above are different, I will try to get intermediate plates and gaskets for both just to be sure.

Thanks in advance.
    1991 2.5-16, Full SLS, 199
    1993 320ce, 199(Sold)
    1994 E500, 199

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Help Needed: FGS Valve Body Intermediate Plate and Transmission Oil Filter

Bryan, I think your mechanic is partially a worrywart, and partially talking out his rear. If the tranny is shifting normally, you're fine - nothing to worry about. You didn't mention WOT upshifts, if possible go pin the throttle somewhere (click the kickdown!) and make sure it's shifting OK at 6000rpm at WOT for both the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts (and 3-4, if you have room to safely go >110mph).

Also, the filters are completely interchangeable. I have no idea what he's talking about (Klink?). The standard filter ends up in 500E's because they are cheaper and a shop can charge $100 for the correct filter and then install the $10 standard filter... cha-ching! The fancy filter is preferred and is correct for the car, but nothing bad will happen if you leave the standard filter installed.

From memory, the EPC indicates that if a late valvebody is installed in an early transmission, an intermediate plate change may be needed. However I think an early VB may work in a late transmission. Your car has the 'late' tranny. The VB part number is usually marked in ink on the VB itself, was this missing on the VB you purchased?

Additional discussion on this topic is here:
    http://www.w124performance.com/image...umper_old4.jpg

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

The VB part number probably was marked on the side, but I forgot to take it down before i gave it to the mechanic to install. The seller also doesn't recall the part number, only the cars and transmission numbers the VB's came off of(listed above). The VB I got was one of two that he had for sale but seller doesn't remember which one he sold me. From reading the threads again, I am unsure if I am using the correct term when saying intermediate plate. The part I am referring to is the thin plate with a bunch of holes on it and not a thick metal plate-the part number many seem to use is 140-277-14-14.
    1991 2.5-16, Full SLS, 199
    1993 320ce, 199(Sold)
    1994 E500, 199

E500E Guru

I've probably had dozens of emails back and forth on this sale.

So let me make it public. I had 3 valve bodies forsale this year- they were *all* the late style which started mid-93. Being conscientious, I asked Bryan for his trans serial number prior to sale. I think I got the vin. It's not a USA car, so a call to the classic center to confirm intermediate plate is the same as the one I had forsale. At the time of sale (JUNE), which was the second time actually- first sale fail through. Mad panick b/c the person going to hand carry it to Taiwan was leaving in 3-4 days and there was a holiday(4th?).

I asked in many emails on how it shifted? But all emails centered on providing an intermediate plate. Yes, it was offered back in JUNE, but sorry those cars are now crushed. I have no direct access to one. There do not appear to be any in local yard within our metroplex at this time.

The VB had a clear ink stamped p/n on it. No I did not keep records.. He can pull the pan and readed if need be. All the V/B I had had the same p/n. THe 2 93' and the one 1994.

Last one where we had a panic about possible fitment, I immediately when out and pulled the plate assy for ERIC as he wanted it.

I've tried to be very responsible here and gone the extra mile. But in the end, it was sold "as is".

Michael

E500E Guru

My applogiest to the group if the last posting was harsh. I was definitely under a lot of hrs at work and home.

Emails back and forth with Bryan, I believe his VB is working correctly. He has part throttle kickdown is irratic.
    But everything else seems good- which it should be.

Michael