Thread: another non-500E question, sorry

another non-500E question, sorry

Several years ago I had the wood dashes and window surrounds for two of my older MB cars refinished by a very talented guy in NC named Drew Tibcken. Company was called Heritage Woodworks, they were in Andrews, NC. I can't find them now. They did a beautiful job which has held up very well.

Does anyone know if Drew and Co. are still around, and if so how to reach them? And, if not, who has had a good experience with having early 70s MB wood refinished, and would they like to tell me who did it? I am looking at another car which needs some attention to that piece of wood under the windshield, on the inside- you know, the piece that peels etc.
    1992 500E, 1985 E320 cabriolet, 1985 300CD, 1980 280GE
    1971 6.3
    1971 3.5 cabriolet
    1969 280SL

E500E Guru

Re: another non-500E question, sorry

It's my recollection and understanding that Drew Tibcken passed away at the end of 2013. I don't know if the enterprise, Heritage Woodworks, survived Mr. Tibcken's death.

I personally don't know of any other person/company that was as skilled in working with the pre-80's wood as Heritage.

It is true. Drew passed away a few years ago. I have found no evidence that anyone else has carried on the business. The best MB wood work that I have seen lately has come from a company called "Madera Concepts" in Goleta, California. Their prices seem high, their turnaround is decent, their work is superb. I would also contact Doane Motorwerks and ask Stuart Doane for his recommendations. You can find both companies all over the innerwebs...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    It is true. Drew passed away a few years ago. I have found no evidence that anyone else has carried on the business. The best MB wood work that I have seen lately has come from a company called "Madera Concepts" in Goleta, California. Their prices seem high, their turnaround is decent, their work is superb. I would also contact Doane Motorwerks and ask Stuart Doane for his recommendations. You can find both companies all over the innerwebs...
    +1. Madera does some quality work.

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

Klink (09-09-2015), Maui (09-08-2015)

E500E Guru

Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    +1. Madera does some quality work.

Jeff
    +2 on Madera, they re-finished the "ski slope" on my 500E last year. Very nice work. The distinction, if there is one, was that Madera specialized in the later urethane finished wood. I'm not saying that Madera couldn't work earlier wood, just that Heritage's specialty was with the older lacquer based finishes found on the older MB's. So to some degree, where you would go will be influenced by the age/type/finish of the wood you need restored. Perhaps a member of one of the specialty groups featuring older model MB's would know more. Another thought would be to contact Tom Hanson to see if he had any recommendations.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vatc5637 For This Useful Post:

Klink (09-08-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I'd also go with Madera Concepts. Confirming that Drew did pass away several years ago. I believe his wife and family were going to try to keep the business going, but evidently that didn't end up happening.

One other expert in the US in MB wood restoration and refinishing is M. Gregory Merrick, of Old Powerhouse Restorations in Wisconsin. I've known Gregory for 20 years and he lived for many years in my former hometown of Portland, Oregon before relocating to Wisconsin about 10-12 years ago. Very good guy and his work is artisinal, it's so good. He specializes in early MB wood (pre-1973) but is also excellent at urethane-coated MB wood too (1973 and newer).

Cheers,
    Gerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (09-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I'd also go with Madera Concepts. Confirming that Drew did pass away several years ago. I believe his wife and family were going to try to keep the business going, but evidently that didn't end up happening.

One other expert in the US in MB wood restoration and refinishing is M. Gregory Merrick, of Old Powerhouse Restorations in Wisconsin. I've known Gregory for 20 years and he lived for many years in my former hometown of Portland, Oregon before relocating to Wisconsin about 10-12 years ago. Very good guy and his work is artisinal, it's so good. He specializes in early MB wood (pre-1973) but is also excellent at urethane-coated MB wood too (1973 and newer).

Cheers,
    Gerry
    Honch!

Merrick! That's the other wood guru that I was trying to remember. Mark Wallach kept popping into my mind, but I know that he has been long gone for many years now...
    Last edited by Klink; 09-08-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Thanks to all for this update, although it is sad news. I did not know that Drew had died. His company did the dashwood in my 71 3.5 cabriolet- it is beautiful, the only thing that I have that compares to it is the finish on a guitar made for me years ago by Paul Reed Smith. Heritage also did the wood on my 6.3, which is also lovely.

I will try the sources you all mentioned and thank you all for your help. I don't know if I am going to end up owning this car, so we'll see about that.
    1992 500E, 1985 E320 cabriolet, 1985 300CD, 1980 280GE
    1971 6.3
    1971 3.5 cabriolet
    1969 280SL