Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R129 SL 72 AMG (M120 7-liter engine specs)

Re: R129 SL 72 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by 89speedster View Post
    Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I'll start by confessing I'm a bit of an imposter. I don't actually own a 500E, though I've been lucky enough to drive and admire one which belonged to a good friend of mine. That car was very recently sold to Rowan Atkinson of Mr Bean fame.

I'm here because I found this thread whilst searching Google for info on the SL73 AMG.

I've just purchased a Sultan of Brunei RHD SL73 AMG with very low miles. The car was sourced in Brunei and is currently on a boat heading toward these shores. It's been sitting unloved for a long time and will need work to get it up and running again.

For weeks now I've been researching these cars and their history. I've never come across a car which has so much conflicting information. The story around the Sultans cars make it all the more complex but also all the more interesting!

Your research regarding the engines is fascinating. Until now everything I've read tells me the SL70 was the 'base' model and the 72 and 73 were effectively the same car with a badge change around 1995.

Does anyone have information relating to how many of these cars were made? I've read a total of 85, of which 35 were SL72 and 50 were SL73. But the info on here re the engines would seem to blow that theory apart.

To confuse matters even more, the Sultan of Brunei cars are sometimes referred to as SL730 and have a more powerful engine fitted (565bhp). Are these included within the numbers above?

The Sultan apparently ordered somewhere between 25 and 52 SL73's/SL730's with the more powerful engine, but I only know of two and another two which are called Argento and have been butchered with nasty Honda concept car bodywork. All of these are RHD.

Personally I don't think the numbers are correct. I believe the confusion comes about as he owned between 25 and 52 Mercedes with that specific engine, not all of which are SL73's. Certainly he ordered ten S Class estates with this engine.

Would love to hear any other info you guys can provide.

Thanks,

Chris

Sir, I am curious if you did a personal inspection of the vehicle (or somehow an International PPI) before purchase? Not to be a spoil sport, but I'd heard the Brunei cars were left in pretty rough conditions after the 2008 "bubble". I hope it pans out for sure; love the M120. Mine (when running correctly) have the smoothest powerbands I've ever experienced from 50-130 MPH. I know Renntech was the builder of the SL74. I believe the last one of those in the US (outside of Matt Garret's perfect example in Houston) was exported from British Columbia to Poland (after an NBA goof ran it off a cliff).......

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baviking1 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (5 Days Ago), TerryA (6 Days Ago)

Re: R129 SL 72 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by baviking1 View Post
    Sir, I am curious if you did a personal inspection of the vehicle (or somehow an International PPI) before purchase? Not to be a spoil sport, but I'd heard the Brunei cars were left in pretty rough conditions after the 2008 "bubble". I hope it pans out for sure; love the M120. Mine (when running correctly) have the smoothest powerbands I've ever experienced from 50-130 MPH. I know Renntech was the builder of the SL74. I believe the last one of those in the US (outside of Matt Garret's perfect example in Houston) was exported from British Columbia to Poland (after an NBA goof ran it off a cliff).......
    Not a personal inspection, but a trusted friend from whom I've purchased other cars has inspected it and sent lots of photos. The big issue was ensuring the car was an SL73 and not one of the many 600SL's the Sultan purchased.

Condition wise, it's nowhere near as bad as some of the reports of foam and leather having disintegrated in the hot sun, but despite having covered only 4000 miles, the state of the car is poor and it will need a light restoration to get it back up and running.

All adds to the fun!
    Last edited by 89speedster; 5 Days Ago at 06:45 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 89speedster For This Useful Post:

gsxr (5 Days Ago)