Thread: Does the E500 and E60 AMG share the exact same body parts?

Does the E500 and E60 AMG share the exact same body parts?

Hello,

I've done a search and while I've learned a lot about E500E thanks to the wealth of information on the forum, I wasn't able to confirm whether the E60 AMG had any body modifications in addition to the engine upgrade?

Hopefully someone could take a moment and school me on the differences! As far as I'm aware, it's just the engine, and if done in factory originally, extra emblems/logos.

Cheers

Re: Does the E500 and E60 AMG share the exact same body parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    Hello,

I've done a search and while I've learned a lot about E500E thanks to the wealth of information on the forum, I wasn't able to confirm whether the E60 AMG had any body modifications in addition to the engine upgrade?

Hopefully someone could take a moment and school me on the differences! As far as I'm aware, it's just the engine, and if done in factory originally, extra emblems/logos.

Cheers
    Not only the engine.

Springs, shocks and front stabilizer bar (thicker 30mm)

Not sure about front fenders cuz some claims E60 has an extra light fenders (to me is not true I believe it is regular fenders). Other than that body is 100% same as e500e.

Not sure about tranny modifications and rear diff (somebody claims different diff to achieve higher speeds than e500e)
    500E 1 of 15

Actually, looking again at the photos, are the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts different?

E60 AMG

vs

E500

The E60 AMG seems to have more aggressive styling, so there is a difference.

Does anyone have a list of what exactly is different? Would really appreciate, to help better understand what makes these cars special.

The first photo with AMG bumpers and skirt are neither standard or optional on E60s and E500Es! These is an aftermarket mod, made to fit and done typically by Japanese enthusiast. Factory E60s and e500e are identical body wise.
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bing For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (12-06-2015)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    The first photo with AMG bumpers and skirt are neither standard or optional on E60s and E500Es! These is an aftermarket mod, made to fit and done typically by Japanese enthusiast. Factory E60s and e500e are identical body wise.
    100% correct. There are ZERO modifications to the body on factory E60 models. The E60 got the engine, minor transmission tweaks, suspension upgrade, emblems, and (optionally) Evo wheels. The muffler with square chrome tips was a Japan-only thing, AFAIK.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (12-06-2015)

Hasn't the transmission got some tweaks too?

My 6.0 AMG got a sticker for the tranny with #HWA 140 270 01 00
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    Hasn't the transmission got some tweaks too?

My 6.0 AMG got a sticker for the tranny with #HWA 140 270 01 00
    Yes - sorry, I forgot about that. I edited my previous post. I believe the changes were a different vacuum modulator and mods to the valve body (likely stiffer springs for K1/K2 or something along those lines).

i can't remember is the gear ratio the same (2.82) on the e60?
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    i can't remember is the gear ratio the same (2.82) on the e60?
    Yes. Some magazine articles mention a different ratio for certain countries (i.e., Swiss) but the EPC doesn't support that claim, and I have never, ever seen proof of any 124.036 leaving the factory with anything except a 2.82 differential. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did, it's even rarer than those "twelve" E60 Limited.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

bing (12-03-2015), maw1124 (12-06-2015)

Appreciate the discussion

Now I'm severely confused. What exactly are those sideskirt/front/rear bumper parts on the E60 AMG?

I've seen the same exact "AMG" kit on 3 different E60 AMG. I don't have access to the VIN of any of them, but made an educated guess by comparing the interior/package/details/stickers of all 3 and noticing differences between each.

That isn't the first one I've seen with such mods. Take a look at this one; I believe it's a different one and not the same car.

[1]

Here is yet another (located in UK, but most likely Japanese origin), different car, but same "AMG" E60 bumpers/side skirt.

[2]

Would anyone happen to know if this was a Japanese AMG standard factory part or something? I know for a fact that the E500/E60 had different packages per region and this could be one of those things. For example, the Japanese also had an AMG Japan E60 exhaust, which no other regions had.

Anyway, I really like the looks, and would appreciate if anyone could spill more details on these items.

It's a very subtle difference but adds a bit of subtle-yet-functional aerodynamics to an otherwise classic car.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Now I'm severely confused. What exactly are those sideskirt/front/rear bumper parts on the E60 AMG?

I've seen the same exact "AMG" kit on 3 different E60 AMG. I don't have access to the VIN of any of them, but made an educated guess by comparing the interior/package/details/stickers of all 3 and noticing differences between each.
    That is the standard W124 AMG Gen2 body kit designed for any other W124 except the widebody E500E. That body kit requires modification to be stretched to fit the wide fenders on the E500E. Any E500E you see with that body kit, had it installed by the customer after Mercedes sold the car to them. This body kit was standard on the factory W124 E36 models.

Would anyone happen to know if this was a Japanese AMG standard factory part or something? I know for a fact that the E500/E60 had different packages per region and this could be one of those things.
    I don't believe it was an AMG Japan "standard", but it does seem to be far more common in Japan, than anywhere else. The ones for sale in UK and elsewhere in Europe were almost always imported from Japan. Personally, I like the look, but I'd be somewhat concerned about how the bumpers and side skirts were modified/stretched to fit.

gsxr, good info, thanks for breaking it down for me!

I was wondering, does anyone have experience in fitting the standard W124 parts onto the E500?

I found this kit, which has the pieces for the conversion but once again, only made for the W124 width and not our 036.

http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...s__105169.html

I'm not very familiar with the process of modifying bumpers/side-skirts to fit another car.

What would be required? Since it's a fairly reasonably priced kit, if anyone knows what needs to be done to modify the kit to fit our E500, I would be interested in trying it out.

I would even be willing to get the real AMG parts from Mercedes, but I really have no idea what has to be done to modify the bumpers and side skirts to fit.

That said, I really need some good advice that this is possible and non-damaging to the car itself.

Cheers

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

In general... installing any aftermarket body kit will devalue an E500E. Installing a genuine AMG Gen2 kit might be neutral on value (probably won't hurt, but won't help either). I believe the full AMG kit is still available new* but it isn't cheap... and, to retain factory functionality, the bumper lights have to be swapped for C36 fog lights (these are expensive, and some modification / bracket swapping is needed). Overall, it would be a very expensive project, including paint - and when it's done, probably would be smart to keep all the original body parts.

*EDIT: As of early 2017, most all of the 124 AMG body kits are NLA.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (12-06-2015)

Dave,

the exhaust is the most difficult part in my opinion...full amg body kit is most likely still available but good luck sourcing an exhaust that looks suitable or is compatible with the rear bumper. Does anyone have part numbers for the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts? If so PM me please

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgo_Chris View Post
    Does anyone have part numbers for the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts? If so PM me please
    Chris, all the part numbers are in the PDF file linked below:
    http://www.w124performance.com/docs/..._body_kits.pdf

Misc photos of various AMG body kit parts / pieces:
    http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_AMG_kits/

To look up prices from online dealers, remove the letter "B" preceding the part number. Note that certain items are NLA, for example the Gen 1 ducktail, and the coupe side skirts. The sedan Gen 2 kit should all still be available, AFAIK. Current MSRP on a full Gen 2 kit is ~$3000, figure ~$2500 from a discount dealer. There's slightly less margin on the body kits compared to standard repair parts, so don't expect a steep discount from your favorite vendor.

As I mentioned above - for use on an E500E, you will need to also get the C36 bumper lights to retain fog light function. The difference between the two types of lights are in the directories at the top of this link.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Marc R (12-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Chris, all the part numbers are in the PDF file linked below:
    http://www.w124performance.com/docs/..._body_kits.pdf

Misc photos of various AMG body kit parts / pieces:
    http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_AMG_kits/

To look up prices from online dealers, remove the letter "B" preceding the part number. Note that certain items are NLA, for example the Gen 1 ducktail, and the coupe side skirts. The sedan Gen 2 kit should all still be available, AFAIK. Current MSRP on a full Gen 2 kit is ~$3000, figure ~$2500 from a discount dealer. There's slightly less margin on the body kits compared to standard repair parts, so don't expect a steep discount from your favorite vendor.

As I mentioned above - for use on an E500E, you will need to also get the C36 bumper lights to retain fog light function. The difference between the two types of lights are in the directories at the top of this link.

Here is the reply of: Does the E500 and E60 AMG share the exact same body parts?

Good Question:-

Even Porsche share is more in sports cars they have designed and build cars. Body were produced in one factory and send across the town so it may be possible that E500 and E60 AMG body parts are same.

E500E Guru

Re: Here is the reply of: Does the E500 and E60 AMG share the exact same body parts?

When we say E60, you guys are talking 1994-95 option code 957 exclusively right? I thought anything done up to then was ala cart like with most tuners.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Here is the reply of: Does the E500 and E60 AMG share the exact same body parts?

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    When we say E60, you guys are talking 1994-95 option code 957 exclusively right? I thought anything done up to then was ala cart like with most tuners.
    Probably anything done by AMG would NOT have body mods, as discussed earlier in this thread. A car with code 957 definitely should not have body mods.

Dave: Just a comment on the E500 pictured in post # 3. If I'm not mistaken the rear bumper is a pre face lift style where the impact strip wraps around the sides for only a short length while on the 94 & 95 it continues to the wheel well opening.( I had to replace same on my 94 E320 and the salvage yard only had a good 93 bumper and pointed out the difference.)
    This would indicate the pictured E500 had its rear bumper replaced if I'm right.

Regards,

Peter Weissman

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by geraniumtr View Post
    Dave: Just a comment on the E500 pictured in post # 3. If I'm not mistaken the rear bumper is a pre face lift style where the impact strip wraps around the sides for only a short length while on the 94 & 95 it continues to the wheel well opening.( I had to replace same on my 94 E320 and the salvage yard only had a good 93 bumper and pointed out the difference.)
    This would indicate the pictured E500 had its rear bumper replaced if I'm right.
    Peter, all the 124 sedans, coupes, and cabrios had the rear bumper modified with the facelift so the impact strip was longer. The E500 was an exception, along with the wagons. These retained the old-style, shorter impact strip.

In post #3, the modified E60 has an AMG Gen 2 rear bumper with extended impact strip. The 1994 E500 shown has the stock rear bumper with short impact strip.

Hope that makes sense...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

geraniumtr (05-31-2017)