Thread: Magnaflow Catalytic converter assembly

92 500E

Magnaflow Catalytic converter assembly

http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-2358.../dp/B002XGEQU4

Anyone have feedback on this? Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cwmyoung52 For This Useful Post:

500AMM (03-01-2016)

Re: Magnaflow Catalytic converter assembly

doesn't seem to fit my C126 or w124.036 per amazon. see below, GSXR noted my 94 fitment isn't updated by Amazon.
    Last edited by nocfn; 02-29-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: GSXR the Sage
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

That should fit all years of 124.034/.036 as they share the identical catalysts. Amazon's fitment chart is only showing 92-93 model years for some reason.

I don't know anyone who has personally installed the MagnaFlow 23581, but I'd love to get a bunch of good photographs of the actual product (not the drawings on Amazon), and a first-hand report as to how well it fit.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

cwmyoung52 (02-29-2016)

i'm sometimes amazed by what can be found on amazon! a direct fit cat system for the 500e - i would have never guessed that!

just last weekend i removed the rear muffler section of my exhaust system and i'm contemplating how to move forward. right now, i'm running stock cats and nothing else - resonator had been removed before i got the car, so it's just dumping out at that joint right now. knowing the stock cats - assuming they're original - are 24 years old, they must be due for replacement. i had the original cat on my '95.5 UrS6 let go internally and it really disrupted exhaust flow, to the point the turbo would hardly spool. i'm not certain, but i have to believe a 24 year old cat is not operating at peak efficiency and i've been thinking about replacement options. i run 200 cells on my porsches, but i wasn't sure I wanted to do that on the merc. this, being a direct fit replacement, is appealing from an installation/aesthetics and price standpoint.

anyone have any feedback on this system or the cats used on it?
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

We have use these Magnaflows for many BMW applications over the past two years and haven't had one issues, all fit fine, well made and passed emission with no issues or CE lights. They have three product version: California, Federal and New York. I can check on pricing tomorrow if anyone is interested. We have only order the higher quality CA or NY options.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by 500ebeebe View Post
    ... knowing the stock cats - assuming they're original - are 24 years old, they must be due for replacement. i had the original cat on my '95.5 UrS6 let go internally and it really disrupted exhaust flow, to the point the turbo would hardly spool. i'm not certain, but i have to believe a 24 year old cat is not operating at peak efficiency and i've been thinking about replacement options....

anyone have any feedback on this system or the cats used on it?
    If the car is not experiencing any power loss, is not failing emissions testing, and is not breaking apart internally... the stock cats are likely fine. I don't believe they "wear out" with time, although engine problems (incorrect mixture, oil consumption, etc) may damage them if the problems are not identified & corrected. All of my cars have original cats and all are working perfectly. I did have one car with partially plugged catalysts, but this was accompanied by a noticeable decrease in high-rpm power. I would think very, very carefully before removing the factory cats, which are likely more robust than any aftermarket units. That said, if you have cats which are definitely defective, I'd sure consider the Magnaflow option if good used cats were not available.

Klink/Jono, I'd love to hear your $0.02 on this topic..

My CATS are original with 141K miles and are still passing CA Smog with no signs of weakening. Each test is as good or better than the last.

I believe Glen just passed smog on Dr.P's car with 600K miles on it. I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway they last a long time unless the tuneup has been neglected.
    Terry

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

My E500 has orig cats at 135K miles with no issues. Passes smog with no problems.

My 560SEC has 235K on orig cats & passed smog no problem up until it became exempt a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    If the car is not experiencing any power loss, is not failing emissions testing, and is not breaking apart internally... the stock cats are likely fine. I don't believe they "wear out" with time, although engine problems (incorrect mixture, oil consumption, etc) may damage them if the problems are not identified & corrected. All of my cars have original cats and all are working perfectly. I did have one car with partially plugged catalysts, but this was accompanied by a noticeable decrease in high-rpm power. I would think very, very carefully before removing the factory cats, which are likely more robust than any aftermarket units. That said, if you have cats which are definitely defective, I'd sure consider the Magnaflow option if good used cats were not available.

Klink/Jono, I'd love to hear your $0.02 on this topic..

100% agreement, including also what Gerry and Terry said. It is completely unremarkable to see factory cats working perfectly and producing no restriction at a 500k. miles plus. Unless the cats have been damaged somehow, they are likely perfect. Also, contrary to legend, the catalysts do not restrict the stock engine by any meaningful amount. All that said, if I needed catalysts, I would most definitely consider the Maggies...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

500AMM (03-01-2016), gsxr (03-01-2016)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    My CATS are original with 141K miles and are still passing CA Smog with no signs of weakening. Each test is as good or better than the last.

I believe Glen just passed smog on Dr.P's car with 600K miles on it. I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway they last a long time unless the tuneup has been neglected.
    Yep, passed easily last year. As clean as my 123k silver car.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

It's a good question I've always had, though.

We have seen plugged cats from time to time here on the forum. What condition(s) would typically precipitate that? Would it be things like lots of short trips where the cats never get fully heated to burn off impurities and particulates that result from combustion?

I agree with GSXR and others the stock CATS should be fine up to 300K if the car is running well most of it's life and has had maintenance items plus good working O2s, but that doesn't always happen. I checked with Magnaflow and they have 3 units in stocks and I can drop ship direct to anyone the best 500e board price I can do is $479- each plus a $20 drop ship fee (Magnaflow charges this) and shipping est. $25 to $30 whatever they charge me.

Gerry usually it's the car running to rich that causes the CATS to fail they get too hot and the internals start to melt and glass over, oil blow-by doesn't help also.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeff0093 For This Useful Post:

500AMM (03-01-2016), gsxr (03-01-2016), Klink (03-01-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

IIRC, another shop owner (Bart?) mentioned that the factory cats are much more tolerant of rich conditions. Thought he mentioned something about seeing aftermarket cats failing in short order when subjected to rich mixtures, or maybe extended high loads with "WOT" type enrichment (11-13 AFR instead of ±14.7 AFR), where the factory cats shrugged off such abuse. It wouldn't surprise me if this played a small part in MB's decision to eliminate the "WOT enrichment" feature as of 1993 USA model year... helping ensure the emission systems would function properly for a longer period.

But again, as Klink noted above, I'd sure try the Magnaflow if I needed new cats (and didn't live in CA). New OE cats (124-490-99-20) appear to be NLA, although I am seeing an alternate part number (124-490-99-20-60) for a factory "remanufactured" catalyst, at $1366 MSRP, ~$1000 from the discount dealers. Wonder what that looks like? Or if it's even available. There is also another p/n (124-490-99-20-88) which requires a core return, but is the same price. Hmmm.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (03-01-2016)

Factory cats were available as of late last year as I inquired myself. I opted for the magnaflow direct fits.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Glasgo_Chris For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-01-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgo_Chris View Post
    Factory cats were available as of late last year as I inquired myself. I opted for the magnaflow direct fits.
    Cool! Have any photos of the Magnaflows?

I'm actually racking the car next week, will take a pic then!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glasgo_Chris For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-01-2016), Klink (03-01-2016), kwontumspeed (03-02-2016)

We have done some ML320 factory cats and the dealer always wanted the old cores back. The magnaflow cats are very nice and look better or on pair with the 50 state legal D.E.C. stuff. Again I have only used the 50 state legal not the 48 federal, the quality and the flow rate changes on the 48 to 50 state legal cats.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff0093 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-01-2016), Klink (03-01-2016)

just out of curiosity, why did you swap out your stock cats and at what mileage? i'm somewhat surprised the stock cats can last as long as 300-500k miles - that's a very impressive figure. knowing that they potentially have a long life, i'm curious for your reason to swap over to the magnaflow and even more curious what you found for results after the fact. any feel for improved flow and/or heightened exhaust note. on porsches, i have always found that opting for 200 cells units always 'wakes up' the exhaust and produces a much more pleasing note. of course, i like that kind of thing!

would love to hear any impressions you have on the magnaflow system and the results you saw.
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

Quote Originally Posted by 500ebeebe View Post
    just out of curiosity, why did you swap out your stock cats and at what mileage? i'm somewhat surprised the stock cats can last as long as 300-500k miles - that's a very impressive figure. knowing that they potentially have a long life, i'm curious for your reason to swap over to the magnaflow and even more curious what you found for results after the fact. any feel for improved flow and/or heightened exhaust note. on porsches, i have always found that opting for 200 cells units always 'wakes up' the exhaust and produces a much more pleasing note. of course, i like that kind of thing!

would love to hear any impressions you have on the magnaflow system and the results you saw.
    My cats went bad on my silver 94 at 79k miles. The cats were plugged completely, and supposedly was due to the FPR failing?

On My 92 the original cats did not fail until 140k miles. It wasn't so much a failure/plug but their was something rattling internally, all the insides just seemed to give out.

Sound did not really change on either car, as I retained stock muffler and have resonators on both.

I cannot own a Porsche without an aftermarket exhaust - period. Modern 911's are too quiet IMO, even with sport exhaust options they offer. I could probably live with an aircooled car with stock exhaust as long as it had the sound package found on 993's.

Regards,
    Chris

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Glasgo_Chris For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (03-02-2016)

Very interested once this is installed with pics, and if you have the stock resonator and muffler...the tone, if you hear any difference.

E500E Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    It's a good question I've always had, though.

We have seen plugged cats from time to time here on the forum. What condition(s) would typically precipitate that? Would it be things like lots of short trips where the cats never get fully heated to burn off impurities and particulates that result from combustion?
    A car with a running issue will ruin a cat. I had a bad distributor rotor on a 560SEC turn my cats red hot as the engine was dumping unburnt fuel. Oil in the exhaust system will also ruin them in short order. OE cats will last a lifetime. Aftermarket cats, not so much.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-02-2016)

I'm actually racking the car next week, will take a pic then!

Any update on this?

Decided to buy the MagnaFlow 23581 to see how the fit and finish was compared to the stock catalytic converter. Initial impression is that its a quality piece. Have not yet had a chance to do an initial fit but I did take some pictures. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer.

IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0473.jpgIMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_0488.jpgIMG_0487.jpgIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0475.jpgIMG_0476.jpgIMG_0482.jpg

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sprnova For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (1 Week Ago), Maui (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Side by side w/ stock CATs they look like they take up more space under the car.
    Stock is a neater package but if you have to use the Magnaflows I'm sure they would give a good service life. I put one on my wife's Caddy without issue. The Mags have a 50K mile warranty.

Also so would be curios if they are as heat protected as stock CATs. Stock looks like it is shielded better.

Good Luck w/ the Magaflows
    Terry

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Very interested in the final install. Please keep us posted on the fit/finish and also interested if there's much of a tonal change at idle and WOT.

E500E Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sprnova View Post
    Decided to buy the MagnaFlow 23581 to see how the fit and finish was compared to the stock catalytic converter. Initial impression is that its a quality piece. Have not yet had a chance to do an initial fit but I did take some pictures. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer.
    Thanks for the pics! I've been interested in this system since I got my Fox stainless car back system. This could finish it off nicely.

It would be fantastic to have comparative weights also between the stock cats + the magnaflow cats. To see if there is also a potential for weight savings (however minor).
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing
    1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing
    1995 w202 C36 AMG The donor for the w124 E36
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver

39. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

sheward (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by kwontumspeed View Post
    Very interested in the final install. Please keep us posted on the fit/finish and also interested if there's much of a tonal change at idle and WOT.
    I am installing the Timevalve y-pipe in place of the factory resonator so I am interested in seeing if the tone changes. I actually drove the car for a while without the resonator and muffler and it was not too bad. I did not notice too many people staring at me as I drove by

41. The Following User Says Thank You to sprnova For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

I am installing the Timevalve y-pipe in place of the factory resonator so I am interested in seeing if the tone changes. I actually drove the car for a while without the resonator and muffler and it was not too bad. I did not notice too many people staring at me as I drove by
    Even better because I'm removing that, too.

Weights

Stock = 41 lbs
    Magnaflow cat section = 16.9 lbs
    Magnaflow front section = 7.1 lbs

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sprnova For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago)

I installed one of the Magnaflow front pipe and cat systems on my red '94 along with a Fox muffler cat back system. The existing system was functional but 200k miles on the east coast had left the system looking very bad with a few patches here and there from the previous owner. I went with the 48 state cat system just because it was readily available. The Magnaflow bolted in but it fought me most of the way. I also found that someone at the factory forgot to expand the pipe where the front pipe connects to the cats so I had to get creative with my grinder to get the pieces together. Between the Magnaflow cats and the Fox mufflers it sounds great. Nice throaty sound like a V8 should. My lift paid for itself with this install. I cannot imagine what a pain in the ass this would have been without one especially my yourself. It took me about eight hours from start to finish removing the old and installing the new. I will add a couple pics next time I put the car back on the lift.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon
    2011 E550 4Matic

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), kwontumspeed (1 Week Ago), sprnova (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    I installed one of the Magnaflow front pipe and cat systems on my red '94 along with a Fox muffler cat back system. The existing system was functional but 200k miles on the east coast had left the system looking very bad with a few patches here and there from the previous owner. I went with the 48 state cat system just because it was readily available. The Magnaflow bolted in but it fought me most of the way. I also found that someone at the factory forgot to expand the pipe where the front pipe connects to the cats so I had to get creative with my grinder to get the pieces together. Between the Magnaflow cats and the Fox mufflers it sounds great. Nice throaty sound like a V8 should. My lift paid for itself with this install. I cannot imagine what a pain in the ass this would have been without one especially my yourself. It took me about eight hours from start to finish removing the old and installing the new. I will add a couple pics next time I put the car back on the lift.
    Same issue with mine. I also did a test fit of the front section and its off by a slight amount (a small push/bend got it lined up) so I am going to replace the motor mounts to see if that lines things up a bit more.

CatPipe2.jpegCatPipe1.jpeg

48. The Following User Says Thank You to sprnova For This Useful Post:

gsxr (6 Days Ago)

Same issue with mine. I also did a test fit of the front section and its off by a slight amount (a small push/bend got it lined up) so I am going to replace the motor mounts to see if that lines things up a bit more.

CatPipe2.jpegCatPipe1.jpeg
    I had no issues with the alignment. The front pipe bolted in very easily. You could take the notched section to a muffler shop and have them expended to fit over the other pipe. I was in a rush so I did my own modification to fit the pieces together. I used brute strength to expand the noted section and made a slight cut in the other section make it fit.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    1995 E320 Wagon
    2011 E550 4Matic

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (6 Days Ago), sprnova (6 Days Ago)