Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 190E or W124 driver for my 16 year old son

E500E Guru

Re: 190E or W124 driver for my 16 year old son

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    I told my kids the greatest car in the world is the one you drive at 16. For me that was a 72 Chrysler Newport.
    That's a ship.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

nocfn (06-28-2017), TerryA (06-28-2017)

E500E Guru

I looked hard for a CDI and never could find one in the area.... 2005-06 were nice. The 1995 E-diesel is a non-turbo which gets awesome mileage, but a little slow. As long as he doesn't jump in front of a truck- it would be a good car.
    Never gave much thought about rollover, but we had a near death experience with when I was a newly wed... Driver induced oscillations almost flipped our jetta into a truck.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-28-2017), TerryA (06-28-2017)

E500E Guru

The young man that works for me has a pretty nice 95 E300D non turbo for sale. Paint is not great but completely rust free Texas car. Interior is OK (a couple rips in the seat bottom), the car is mechanically sound and the A/C will freeze you out. The car seems to have a lot of factory options that I don't typically see on W124's and a decent amount of service history.

He's a mechanic and his daily is a 1991 300TD (that he made from a 91 300TE and an OM603) with a 722.6. He was telling me yesterday that he wanted to sell it so that he can spend some money on his W123 300CD. I'm pretty sure it will be cheap, should anyone be interested. I've been in this car and the OM606 with the non turbo is not horribly slow as they can rev.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    I looked hard for a CDI and never could find one in the area.... 2005-06 were nice. The 1995 E-diesel is a non-turbo which gets awesome mileage, but a little slow. As long as he doesn't jump in front of a truck- it would be a good car.
    Last edited by alabbasi; 06-28-2017 at 07:11 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (06-30-2017), TerryA (06-28-2017)

Ah the good old days when a 20 year old could get affordable (UK) insurance in a Lotus Elan. You drove knowing that even a modest accident would probably be fatal, especially if it involved any side impact. We used to spend hours in wreckers yards looking for parts, it gave you a VERY clear idea of what happened to cars that argued with trees, telegraph poles or trucks: very sobering.
    No 70mph speed limit & no air ambulance either......
    Bit different now; doubt I know of any 'youth' who's ever been in a wreckers yard.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MCR01 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-29-2017)

I will be curious to see how my son and his friends transition into getting "wheels" Will any of them start to learn to wrench on their cars. One of my goals was to force my son to take care of his car (change the oil with me, change brakes, keep it clean, etc). Will that be liking pulling teeth or will he eagerly take on the task?

I am curious if SEMA has data to back up the "kids these days don't hot rod like we used to", surely a decline would show up in the members sales data. Anecdotally we all seem to believe the modern generation doesn't care about cars like we used to. We deride them as the "the video game generation".

Ricardo
    Last edited by RicardoD; 06-29-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-29-2017)

In the UK at least the fact is that much 'youth' does not need to know which end of a spanner to hold. Pass your A level exams, doting parents buy you a newish 3 series BMW and pay for the servicing, insurance etc. Followed later by getting a Degree, doting parents buy you a flat/house....
    Of course I exaggerate but only slightly.

Not sure I've ever seen any evidence that "kids these days don't hot rod like we used to": where did that idea come from?
    Here in France the fairly
    appalling death rate would certainly look a lot better if male drivers under 25 were taken out of the statistics. They certainly do drive like God is on their side.

Ricardo,

I think that one thing that would weigh in my mind in acquiring a car for a new teen driver is that almost every kid I knew including myself and my daughter had at least one accident in thier first car.

It is a right of passage into the driving world. Baptism by Fire you might say. Kids have accidents whether it's there fault or the other driver's doesn't matter. It's gaining experience that makes you a better driver over time. Anyway for that reason alone I would be looking for a substantial ride as there first one. I know it wouldn't be a Honda or Kia ect; if I could help it.

Everybody thinks not there kid he/she has more sense than that. He/she will learn from me or the Driver's Ed Teacher how to be a responsible driver and how to properly handle the car and will drive carefully ever after. It's a similar approach taken by an Ostrich who sticks its head in the sand and thinks nothing bad will happen it.

Just think back to when you and your friends were in high school and got your first car. Nothing has changed from then to now except I see a lot more people including adults playing with thier phones while driving. A distraction most of us did not have to deal with. This fact alone is great cause for concern.

My only suggestion is to get a full size car with lots of airbags and hope that the first accident is just a minor fender bender. Sorry I don't mean to be "Buzzkill" but I think every parent needs to face reality.

Choose Wisely
    Last edited by TerryA; 06-30-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Terry

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

8899 (07-06-2017), doolar (06-30-2017), gsxr (06-30-2017), Jlaa (07-01-2017), RicardoD (06-30-2017), sheward (06-30-2017), skikrazey (06-30-2017)

Terry is on about something important. The w124 and w201 where very safe if not the safest cars when they where new, and to some extent they still are. But a 10 year old large sedan will probably be lightyears ahead on safety.

I'd probably get a w211 (E320 would be my choice) for my kid if I had to get a big car for my child now. They are dead cheap too.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-30-2017)

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am very close to wiping the Surbaru off the list.

This seems more appropriate and in my home town: 1997 E420, already has the body scratches build in. The green machine.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6188175690.html

1997 Mercedes e420 - $3200 (los gatos)

Great rare Mercedes e-class 420. Top of the line. It even came with a car phone package. All leather, sunroof, alloy wheels, good tires, everything works. 4.2L V-8 engine. Gets 20-25mpg. The Mercedes-Benz E420 combines the refinement of a luxury sedan with the heart and soul of a sports car.

152K miles. There are scratches on the right side from pulling it out of the garage. Oops. Interior is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-30-2017)

E500E Guru

I ran a 97 e420 for 10 years. Nice car. Quick comfortable 4 airbags in the front.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (07-01-2017), TerryA (06-30-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoD View Post
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am very close to wiping the Surbaru off the list. This seems more appropriate and in my home town

1997 E420, already has the body scratches build in. The green machine.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6188175690.html
    I've got a few of those laying around, lol. The powertrain is superb, M119.985 with coil pack ignition, and electronic 722.6 auto five-speed with overdrive. That green car has heated seats and at least ASR, it might possibly have optional ESP (better than ASR), could have the optional HID lights as well. See if you can get a VIN from the seller to decode the optional equipment. If they'll come down on the price a bit, this could be a good compromise... price is a bit optimistic IMO considering the exterior condition.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (06-30-2017), TerryA (06-30-2017)

Unfortunately, the early W210 didn't perform well in the IIHS offset crash test. Take a look at the attached pictures. You can see the deformation in the A-pillar, and I believe the driver's door opened in the crash as well. The facelift version (MY2000-2002) was much improved, and W203 and W211 were even better.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to speedy300dturbo For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (06-30-2017), gsxr (07-01-2017), RicardoD (06-30-2017), skikrazey (06-30-2017), TerryA (07-01-2017)

Alright boys, family meeting tonight resulting in the following

- its clear my son, bless his heart, couldn't care if he got a Corolla or an E500 Grandpa mobile. He has no understanding of a buzz box 4 banger vs beautiful engineered german V8 engine. He only realizes his Dad is a nutcase and thankful that his father will make sure he has safe wheels. He spends exactly zero brain cycles thinking about cars. He is not looking "a gift horse in the mouth", complaining, making demands, and excited to be growing up and gaining more freedom.

- The wife, (of German decent), wants his son in a safe German car, and in general is supportive of my Mercedes nuttiness, she doesn't want something "banged up" but understand a teenager is going to damage his vehicle. Therefore a clean few year old Subura Impreza is officially dead (also too much money in my opinion).

So I the short list is now W210 or W211. Now the question is which one. Still hunting.

BTW, this 2005 CDI in Houston is super nice. Too nice. Asking a bit much for a rebuild title. Intercity quotes $1800 for transport from Houston to Bay Area.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6139185024.html
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    I see a lot more people including adults playing with thier phones while driving. A distraction most of us did not have to deal with. This fact alone is great cause for concern.
    My only suggestion is to get a full size car with lots of airbags and hope that the first accident is just a minor fender bender. Sorry I don't mean to be "Buzzkill" but I think every parent needs to face reality.
    Very true and well said. I don't consider myself very knowledgeable to offer advise to others, but I will share my choice for my daughter in case there is something good in it for others: Ford Fiesta SES ... stick shift. It is not a full size car (my daily driver is a Honda Accord sedan and I don't feel any safer in it vs. the Fiesta), but it does have its own big advantages: inside air bags all over the place (including knees), plenty of street appeal, engine not powerful to be tempting, whistles and bells more than I can learn, hatchback (more useful than any sedan), over 40 mpg on highways (can't remember exactly but anyway better even than my wife's Prius V), parts are 1/3-1/4 the cost of similar from MB and because is a stick shift is ... impossible to text and drive in the city.

I just wish it would have been a 6 speed (is a 2011 with 5 speed) and have hill start assist (2012 and later did have it). Because she has only a learner's permit I am using it on daily basis for now and I am impressed by what it has to offer vs. what I paid for it: $ 5500 for one with 99k miles in mint condition. I made this choice because of initial purchasing cost vs. features, maintenance cost and in case she will total it at least I did not lose a lot of money. However I do not recommend the automatic version of the Fiesta which has a lot of transmission issues.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liviu165 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-01-2017), yayyap159 (07-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by liviu165 View Post
    Very true and well said. I don't consider myself very knowledgeable to offer advise to others, but I will share my choice for my daughter in case there is something good in it for others: Ford Fiesta SES ... stick shift. It is not a full size car (my daily driver is a Honda Accord sedan and I don't feel any safer in it vs. the Fiesta), but it does have its own big advantages: inside air bags all over the place (including knees), plenty of street appeal, engine not powerful to be tempting, whistles and bells more than I can learn, hatchback (more useful than any sedan), over 40 mpg on highways (can't remember exactly but anyway better even than my wife's Prius V), parts are 1/3-1/4 the cost of similar from MB and because is a stick shift is ... impossible to text and drive in the city. I just wish it would have been a 6 speed (is a 2011 with 5 speed) and have hill start assist (2012 and later did have it). Because she has only a learner's permit I am using it on daily basis for now and I am impressed by what it has to offer vs. what I paid for it: $ 5500 for one with 99k miles in mint condition. I made this choice because of initial purchasing cost vs. features, maintenance cost and in case she will total it at least I did not lose a lot of money. However I do not recommend the automatic version of the Fiesta which has a lot of transmission issues.
    Now I'm not suggesting that Ricardos son is a wheel texter, but, you don't know people with the statement I bolded above. It's harder, yes, but I see it everyday here. In Sweden we still drive stick a lot, people adapt and learn...

If the car is mainly driven in town, sure a Fiesta is good and safe enough. But it's still a small car, you have a lot of really big cars in the US. I would not want to sit in a Fiesta among all larger cars on the highway. Although I would presume that CA is not littered with F150's but more with Priusie? (plural is hard with that personal transport module), still, size is good (except when parking).

Go with a W211 Ricardo!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

Thomas,

Wrong on the CA F150s every other vehicle seems to be an F150 or. Silverado. If not pickups it's full size SUVs like Cadillac Escalades, Hummer H2s, Nissan Armadas the guy I work for has a Landrover his wife drives a big Ford SUV. In a morning commute on the 405 Frwy it's a sea of huge vehicles with little compacts dodging in and out w/ half of the drivers texting or on the phone. BTW it is now illegal to be holding a phone while driving in CA and some other states.

IMOP, In CA at least, a kid needs to be in a substantial size car w/ lots of airbags. I say NO to Ford Fiestas for a first car.
    Terry

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

doolar (07-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by doolar View Post
    Now I'm not suggesting that Ricardos son is a wheel texter, but, you don't know people with the statement I bolded above!
    My statement was not making a reference to anybody else but my kids. They cannot live w/o their phones. As a parent I had to find a solution to protect them from their addiction.

The Fiesta was just a reference, what I thought was more important in my post was the fact that there are other angles to look at this and other things to consider.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liviu165 For This Useful Post:

doolar (07-01-2017), gsxr (07-01-2017), TerryA (07-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by liviu165 View Post
    My statement was not making a reference to anybody else but my kids. They cannot live w/o their phones. As a parent I had to find a solution to protect them from their addiction.

The Fiesta was just a reference, what I thought was more important in my post was the fact that there are other angles to look at this and other things to consider.
    And I was only speaking for myself! Phone's are used in the car, while driving, manual or automatic trans, forbidden to use or not. That's my point. Wielding a phone and a stick is even more dangerous!
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-02-2017)

iOS 11 coming to iPhone's in this fall 2017 software release will have a "Do Not Disturb" while driving mode to try and help with this texting while driving problem. Of course its easily defeated but it helps those (including myself) trying to do the right thing. Overview of the feature in video below.

RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-01-2017), TerryA (07-02-2017)

I hope you don't mind me dragging this thread out. The plan was to open the window of purchase for a car for my son in September and figure something out by December 1st. But if something pops up before then to make a move. Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect with the elusive perfect car while I was visiting Robert Fenton in San Rafael, CA. Anyway, sharing the journey to continue to crowd source this adventure.

Candidate 1: 2000 E320, M112 motor, one owner car, checkbook dealer maintenance throughout its life, cons: 200k miles! Robert was positive on car based upon ownership & history, I can't get that 200k number out of my head. Well taken care of car, just dirty as photographed.

Candidate 2: 1992 300E, White with tan interior, 87k miles, preserved low mileage classic. Did I mention it was white? White + Mercedes = popemobile, urgh (clearly Robert's no worries, simple, low maintenance favorite)

Candidate 3: 2004 C320 Kompressor, supercharged 4 cylinder, don't know anything about this type of car, looks great, 85k miles

As I get to know Robert, what I like is if I buy any car from him, I know it will be turn key ready to go. I'm not sharing prices but we discussed his guys going over each car, changing fluids as required, making sure each car was right. For example, Robert without prompting talked about how he would get the E320 ready for sale. The different things it needed that would get taken care of (e.g. new windshield with new lower rubber). Bonus for me and makes me not obsess about price too much as he has the means to get the cars right and took care of me with the 560sec purchase.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Unless the 1992 has ASR (which I doubt), I'd scratch that off the list. Even if it does, CIS cars are not fun to diagnose when the aren't running right. There is no ability to connect a scanner and view live data, etc. And, M103's are notorious for needing a cylinder head rebuild every 100-150k (the valve guides wear out and the engine starts drinking oil).

I don't know much about the W203 but it almost looks too nice. I'm sure he'd like anything badged "kompressor" and "sport" though.

That 2000 E320 sounds decent... should be the facelift model which did better in crash testing per Aaron's post, and you'll be less upset if it gets in an accident with 200k on the odo. The mileage wouldn't scare me if it's not drinking or puking fluids, which isn't likely if Robert will be going over it.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (07-06-2017), TerryA (07-06-2017), tsuintx (07-06-2017), yayyap159 (07-11-2017)

We got our daughter a 2005 C230K when she got her license five and a half years ago and that thing has been as reliable as they come. We did buy it from an enthusiast and it came with a huge stack of receipt all the way when it was brand new. Every single thing has been documented. The car had 90K when we bought it and it's now approaching 120K and the only thing it has needed is normal maintenance. Everything works, no leaks, noise etc. Nothing.

It is a bit more electric and plasticky in feel compared to 124s and 126s, but I would definitely suggest you take a closer look at it. Looks nice in the pics.

Agree with gsxr above that you should scratch the 92 off the list. That CIS-E is PITA. I fought with a 91 300CE for a few months last year and decided never again will I get another one. Sure, when they run good, they are great, but when things come up, you are in for a headache...

I've had a couple of W210 derivatives (97 E420 and 00 CLK430) and the electrics and somewhat inferior materials compared to earlier models are definitely visible everywhere. Not my favorites, for sure.

So... All in all, out of those listed with the info available, I'd put the W203 first on the list, then the W210 and the W124 at the bottom.

Happy hunting!
    92 MB 400E
    99 BMW R1100RT
    00 BMW 323i Touring
    07 Chevy Silverado CC Z71

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsuintx For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-06-2017), RicardoD (07-06-2017), TerryA (07-06-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

My comments below in blue.

Candidate 1: 2000 E320, M112 motor, one owner car, checkbook dealer maintenance throughout its life, cons: 200k miles! Robert was positive on car based upon ownership & history, I can't get that 200k number out of my head. Well taken care of car, just dirty as photographed. 200K is a fair bit of mileage, but the car probably has plenty of life left in it, and will be a safe, and big car. With that mileage, there are certainly going to be maintenance issues that you'll need to budget for.

Candidate 2: 1992 300E, White with tan interior, 87k miles, preserved low mileage classic. Did I mention it was white? White + Mercedes = popemobile, urgh (clearly Robert's no worries, simple, low maintenance favorite) Don't bother with a car this old. Despite low mileage, it's not worth it as a car that's going to get driven by a kid. I'd pass on this choice.

Candidate 3: 2004 C320 Kompressor, supercharged 4 cylinder, don't know anything about this type of car, looks great, 85k miles I think this is your best candidate. It's modern enough, reliable, has good safety features/equipment, low miles and plenty of life left in it, and won't need anything major (rubber, etc.) for a while. Bonus is that it will get decent gas mileage. Even with the supercharger, it won't make enough power to get the driver in trouble.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (07-06-2017), TerryA (07-06-2017)

E500E Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Even if it does, CIS cars are not fun to diagnose when the aren't running right. There is no ability to connect a scanner and view live data, etc.
    Unless you own one of these [see attached photo]

I would lean towards a 2001-2002 E320, they're very simple, super reliable and can get almost 30mpg on the highway. I'm not sure what the asking price is for a 200k mile car, but if you shop around, I suspect that you can find one with 1/2 the mileage for around $3k.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

This one is local to me. Interesting.

Pros: I love the color, great gas mileage, 1 owner
    Cons: (smelly diesel! ), no idea on mileage, not posted on ad anywhere, asking $5k! , 1st gen W210, better safety on 2nd gen (those crash pictures from earlier are burned into my brain)

Is this OM606 ?

WDBJF20F2TJ019701

EDIT: added carfax, 174k miles, despite ad claims some right rear damage

http://www.baycitymotors.net/#&&/wEX...baWKGbEo/y+A==

We are selling a 1996 Mercedes 300D Diesel 4 Door Sedan. Please see the pictures to appreciate the condition of this beautiful Mercedes. It is a 1 Owner since new with a Clean No Damage or Accident Car Fax History Vehicle. . It has all of the power options like power windows, power door locks, cruise control, power mirrors, leather seats, factory power moon roof, Alloy Wheels and ICE COLD AC. The interior and exterior are in great shape. The Mercedes is very well kept up and runs great. All of the power options on the car are functional. All of the power windows and door locks are working. The Leather interior is in good condition. Please see the pictures to appreciate the condition of the vehicle. The Engine and transmission work very well. The Mercedes comes with the 3.0 Liter Inline 6 Cylinder Diesel Engine. This is the newer generation engine, the Mercedes switched from the 5 Cylinder designs and went to a simple Non Turbo Inline 6 Cylinder that actually goes to 5,000 RPM and drives like a regular car with the added fuel economy. You can see up to 35MPG+ on the highway with these cars. Mid 20's are the norm for the City. It's hard to match the fuel economy for this size Luxury car. The power is excellent for a diesel. The Mercedes is very smooth and a pleasure to drive. The transmission shifts very smooth, there is no slipping in any gear. The overdrive works excellent. There are no mechanical or cosmetic issues with the car. This year model Mercedes is SMOG EXEMPT. The Mercedes has a Clean Title for the next owner. TRADE-INS ARE WELCOME WARRANTIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR ADDITIONAL COST RANGING FROM POWER TRAIN TO FULL COVERAGE
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RicardoD; 07-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

47. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-06-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yup, that is an OM606 non-turbo. Great engine, only caveat is glow plug replacements can be a challenge (many threads on other forums cover this in detail). Should be near 30mpg even with a lead foot and PRK low-BTU fuel. These engines last 300-500kmi if well maintained, high miles is more of a concern for worn suspension & interior items.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-06-2017)

Last reported mileage 174K. Has had some damage, though. Kinda short CarFax...

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=VAS_0
    92 MB 400E
    99 BMW R1100RT
    00 BMW 323i Touring

51. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsuintx For This Useful Post:

E500E Guru

Yup, that is an OM606.962 turbo
    The one listed is a 96 which means it's a non turbo car. They're not slow slow but they're not quick either. The W210 with the OM606 turbo only came in 98 and 99 and that's a fantastic motor. Given the choice, I would go for an E320 gasser over an NA diesel.

53. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-06-2017), Klink (07-07-2017), RicardoD (07-06-2017), TerryA (07-06-2017)

yes, says DIESEL on the back, so it must be this one, OM606.912, wikipedia cut & paste.

Diesel for North American Market.

• E 300 Diesel (I-6, 2996 cc 3.0L, 100 kW/136 PS/134 hp) 1996-1997
    • E 300 Turbodiesel (I-6, 2996 cc 3.0L, 130 kW/177 PS/175 hp) 1998-1999

3.0 24V D I6 136 PS (100 kW; 134 hp) 210 N·m (155 lb·ft) OM606.912 10.0
    Last edited by RicardoD; 07-06-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

55. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-06-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

YES, sorry, I have edited my previous post. 96-97 are non-turbo, 97-98 are turbo. I was looking at the photos and didn't catch the year... still a nice car either way, although I'd want the turbo version if I had to drive it. Non-turbo would be fine for a new driver.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-06-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yup, that is an OM606.962 turbo

Quote Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
    The one listed is a 96 which means it's a non turbo car. They're not slow slow but they're not quick either. The W210 with the OM606 turbo only came in 98 and 99 and that's a fantastic motor. Given the choice, I would go for an E320 gasser over an NA diesel.
    I think 600Eric has (or used to have) a cherry 1998 diesel model with the turb.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-06-2017)

Showed my older son some sporty looking w210 E430 cars last night on Craigslist, little to no reaction. "What happened to the Subaru?" he asked. "Spent most your car money on the 560SEC", I replied. He just said " as long as it's something from 2000 or newer". Then he walks away.

Generation2 w210 2000 to 2002 or w211 it is then. W211 cdi diesels command a premium. Not sure it's worth it relative to a w211 e320 which are plentiful and cheap. W211 seems like too nice of a car for the boy. Actually prefer the older w210.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

W211 seems like too nice of a car for the boy. Actually prefer the older w210.

62. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-07-2017)

E500E Guru

W211's are a little more complicated. SBC has a limited life before the pump gives up and then it's $1000 min for a replacement. Air suspension on the V8's does was old air suspension does best. The 722.9 7G trans has a conductor plate that fails in the same way that the 722.6, but with the 722.9, it's integrated and requires dealer programming to work with the car so you're staring at $2000 problem instead of $200 problem.

Stick with a 210 for simplicity, in may ways, they're less complex then a W124.

64. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-07-2017), RicardoD (07-07-2017)

210s like to rust, so get one that has never been in/around salt. As always, unless you need it for driving through the tundra, avoid all wheel drive like the plague that it is. 320 and 430 cost about the same to keep, but obviously, the 430 will burn a little bit more gas. You can't beat either one as an inexpensive DD MB. In general, you should also avoid diesels like the plague that they are. Their deluded cult puts a high premium on the purchase price, and when they do break, they consume approximately nine thousand times whatever you saved in fuel in consumption...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

66. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (07-07-2017), RicardoD (07-07-2017), skikrazey (07-08-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    you should also avoid diesels like the plague that they are. Their deluded cult puts a high premium on the purchase price, and when they do break, they consume approximately nine thousand times whatever you saved in fuel in consumption...

Luckily, we don't have too many diesel freaks here on THIS forum ...except Mr. OM60X himself GSXR....

68. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-07-2017), TerryA (07-07-2017)

You guys rock with your feedback. So narrowed down to 2000 to 2002 e320 or e430 (m113)

I showed my son an e320 wagon and he liked it! Some emotion, finally! Picture attached. He liked the "cool wheels" My wife would kill me if I got him a wagon but all the stuff he likes to do has gear and this would be perfect. Glad I found out cool wheels is a game changer for him.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

70. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-07-2017), skikrazey (07-08-2017), TerryA (07-07-2017)

A 210 wagon is just about the most useful Mercedes-Benz imaginable. I like all of the other wagons as well, but they are all significantly smaller, and generally consume more fuel and maintenance dollars. The wheels probably won't help any aspect of the car other than emoting your offspring, but in every other way, I can hardly imagine a better Mercedes to actually own and use. The only expense on the wagon over that of the sedan, and it's not too bad, is the self-leveling rear suspension, which is just like that on the 500E, except the parts may be a little cheaper. Yes, my money is where my mouth is. Ours is our "go to" vehicle for just about everything...

72. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

Melville (07-07-2017), skikrazey (07-08-2017), TerryA (07-07-2017)

And for those that did not know, the 210 wagon was still available into the 2003 model year. They continued in production until the 2004 211 wagons took over...

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post

Luckily, we don't have too many diesel freaks here on THIS forum ...except Mr. OM60X himself GSXR....
    Really more of a naturally aspirated 617 guy, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post

IMO, W210 wagon is one of the ugliest models MB has put out. Very versatile and lots of room, though, with the almost vertical tailgate compared to for example W124 wagon.
    92 MB 400E
    99 BMW R1100RT
    00 BMW 323i Touring

77. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsuintx For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (07-07-2017), Klink (07-07-2017)

Nothing beats a late model w124 wagon for me. How do I get one with a M119?
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

It's just a matter of simple (or maybe not so simple...) engine swap.

I love W124 wagons myself, too.
    92 MB 400E
    99 BMW R1100RT
    00 BMW 323i Touring

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Really more of a naturally aspirated 617 guy, isn't he?
    240Ds, aye. Remember, he started out with VW Dasher Diesels back in the day, so the 240D was a HUGE step up.

Yoink accepted, BTW. Thank you Sir.

81. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by tsuintx View Post
    IMO, W210 wagon is one of the ugliest models MB has put out. Very versatile and lots of room, though, with the almost vertical tailgate compared to for example W124 wagon.
    Yeah, she's no looker. Great personality, though...

83. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

7delta (07-10-2017), tsuintx (07-07-2017)

The W210 wagon reminds me of a somewhat unattractive girl that nevertheless had some redeeming qualities......
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

85. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-09-2017), TerryA (07-10-2017), tsuintx (07-07-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Nothing beats a late model w124 wagon for me. How do I get one with a M119?
    Easy: You call Ron's wife, Joanna, and tell her that you're willing to get rid of that pesky Imperial Red E320 wagon with 500E engine which has been cluttering up their garage. (Details on the conversion are in a forum thread from a few years ago.)

Yeah, she's no looker. Great personality, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    The W210 wagon reminds me of a somewhat unattractive girl that nevertheless had some redeeming qualities......
    I'm sensing a theme here. Sadly, it will be another 5 years before we can import a proper W210 wagon like this one, or this other one.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

87. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (07-09-2017), TerryA (07-10-2017)

Based on Klink and Jono's recommendation, I have acquired a 2001 W210 wagon for the kids.

Looks like it rolled off the showroom floor and out drives any car I have on the highway.

Would never have thought they drove so well.

The M112 and electronic tranny are great.

This car was purchased to keep all driving kids away from the rest of the fleet.

They are very happy!
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

89. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trae For This Useful Post:

doolar (07-10-2017), gerryvz (07-10-2017), gsxr (07-10-2017), TerryA (07-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Trae View Post
    Based on Klink and Jono's recommendation, I have acquired a 2001 W210 wagon for the kids.
    Wow, congrats. More details please.

glad to hear kids are happy with the purchase
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

91. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-10-2017)

Did some online car shopping with my son today. Unless I can talk him into a wagon like Trae did to his kids, I am hunting for a 2000 to 2002 e430. Son wants a black on black and begging for cool wheels to get the grandpa mobile vibe out of the thing. He found the attached image as a guide
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

93. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-10-2017)

E500E Guru

I have an E55 AMG that kind of looks like that. I bought it for my brother while he was staying with me last year. He's going back to England so the car is sitting in my storage gathering dust.
    It's a little rough cosmetically but runs very well. For some deranged reason, it feels like it has 50hp more than my 02 E55 (possibly because I have a new fan clutch).

He knows nothing about cars so I spent a pile of money addressing maintenance items before I gave to him. It's the one in the middle.

95. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-12-2017)

And the sale price on the black E55 is?
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

Well, we live in a demographic that does not have the normal pressures of big city life.
    None of my six kids have friends that have been "given" cars to drive, so they are thrilled to have any car I provide.
    Their only responsibility is gas and insurance when they get a job.

In contrast, most of their friends have beaters that they had to buy with their hard earned money.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

98. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trae For This Useful Post:

7delta (07-10-2017), gsxr (07-11-2017), Klink (07-11-2017), RicardoD (07-10-2017)

Found a black on black E430 with <100k miles. Arizona car. Found a local shop that could help do a PPI (MB Motors). Owner is willing to help with PPI arrangment. Then I got VIN from owner and Carfax shows this is NOT really an Arizona car. Urgh. The car from 2000 to 2011 was in NY, DE, and PA. Hit Illinois in 2011 and then finally in Arizona in 2013. Based upon noted rust issues on these car I probably need to pass. Owner is sending pictures of underside of car. Higher 140k miles cars with all California history are available as well. Low mileage got me excited about this one.

This W210 buyer's guide is decent:
    http://artisanexcite.blogspot.com/20...1996-2002.html
    Last edited by RicardoD; 07-12-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

100. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-12-2017), skikrazey (07-15-2017)

E500E Guru

Later facelift W210's are not as susceptible as the earlier cars. My first W210, a 97 E420 spent its first 5 years in Chicago before I bought it. I've only lived in Dallas and Atlanta and it had some rust on the fenders and the rocker panel by the time it was 10 years old.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Higher 140k miles cars with all California history are available as well. Low mileage got me excited about this one.
    I'd rather have a high-mile car that's been well maintained, than anything that spent many years in the rust belt. There's a faint possibility it was not driven in winter on salted roads, and if so, it could still be a good car. Definitely need a thorough PPI. Given the intended use (new driver) and that you probably don't expect to add 100-150kmi to the odo during your ownership, I'm not sure it would be worth paying a premium for a low-mile car, especially from out of state which may add another ~$1k in open transport cost.

That is a very good writeup - I hadn't seen it before, thanks for sharing! Only part I disagree with is the author saying he prefers working on the 210 over the 124 though.

103. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (07-12-2017), skikrazey (07-15-2017)

Phoenix car I would have to fly in, look over car personally after PPI checked out okay ($110), and then drive home (11 hours). I just got more pictures of the car but none of the undercarriage that I asked for. I just don't think its worth to pursue anymore in light of some other cars much closer to me, documented west coast cars, with higher mileage, but look good in pictures. I won't be able to put eyes on these other candidates until later next week.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

105. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-14-2017)

I was in Chicago for a few days and on a lark typed in Mercedes E430 into the local Craigslist. Up pops this ad for a 37k mile car

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/c...220082057.html

Mercedes Benz E430 2001 - $7800

2001 E430, 37000 miles, excellent condition, no accidents, all original, new tires, sunroof, rain sensitive wipers, always garaged, well maintained, rare find.
    Its usually helpful to include the interior and exterior color, and a photo to help sell the car... Anyway, I emailed the seller and I did get some photos back and carfax screenshot without the VIN, urgh, with verified mileage but sure enough as a midwest car it has body rust (and a color my kid is not interested in). Interesting sellers out there.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

107. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-17-2017)

My first post in this thread was a bit over a year ago and now its getting serious. Looking at some 2001 W210 E430 this weekend as my son is happy with the idea of making a car that looks like Captruff's award winning E60 from Legends of the Autobahn. However, there are still some wildcards in the mix.

After practice driving with my son on vacation in Chicago this summer, in an empty office park, I was stunned by the complete lack of skill new drivers have. To be fair this was his very first 1st 1/2 hour of real wheel time. He improved so dramatically every minute of practice but boy did it scare the crap out of me. I have a long road to climb to make him a good driver. My immediate thought in the car with my son is I am going to get him the slowest thing I find.

I present to you the slowest thing I could find. This glorious 4 banger 190E is practically in my backyard. I could drive home this Mercedes mechanic refurbished repainted special in minutes ( Earl Scheib special no doubt). I think this is so ugly its cool and my wife and son are freaked out by my threatening to buy this thing. So I am enjoying extolling the virtues of this Baby Benz Beater-mobile to them. 165k miles, $2850 asking
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...260346763.html
    190e.jpg

Number two is this sensible purchase of a 2009 Mercedes C300 with 80k miles with an $11.5k asking price. I know jack sh*t about this kinda of car but its the kind of thing you buy, toss the keys to your kid, and you are done. This is what my wife wants me to do as its modern, safe, and perceived to be issue free. She has visions of her little baby boy on the side of the road, broken down, on anything older than 10 years ago. Mamas gotta protect their babies, I get it.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto...250343405.html

C300.jpg

Behind door number three is a 2nd generation W210, big car, modern safety, not hard on the wallet, and hopefully easy to maintain. However, I want to follow Socal210's Fake55 inspiration and make it a blacked out cruiser that my kid thinks is the coolest thing. I have my eye on a local car with 110k miles and one in Arizona with 77k miles (thank you to fellow board member gmwind - aka Bill - for helping me take a look.). Arizona car is an 11 hour drive home or $900 Intercity relocation tax. Over the next three months, the plan is to have kid mechanically refurbish car with me so he feels like crap if he smashes it up because of the hours of work put into changing brakes, fluids, filters, spark plugs, trans filter, etc. I have to force him into the garage with me to get his car in proper working order and so he can learn about car maintenance basics. He will probably be upset with me for taking away his precious video game playing weekend time so he learns how to bleed brakes but hopefully I will get a thanks from him later in life.

DSCF4326.jpg
    Last edited by RicardoD; 08-24-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    RicardoD
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife