Thread: Need recommendation for a proper glass out respray in Northern or Southern California

Need recommendation for a proper glass out respray in Northern or Southern California

Sadly my clearcoat is starting to fail It is confined to a few areas at the moment and it is not yet peeling, but it is most definitely on its way out and so I'd like to start making plans to have the car painted properly.

I live in Visalia CA, roughly halfway in between SJ and LA. I don't have a high opinion of any of the local body/paint shops. I've used Beverly Coachcraft in LA for collision work in the past and been very pleased, but they're a high volume collision shop and they sounded reluctant to do a full glass out respray when I talked to them about it.

Anybody know of a great auto painter that would be willing to take on a job like this and do it properly? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Need recommendation for a proper glass out respray in Northern or Southern California

Call Ole at Scandinavian Coach Craft. He does basically every kind of high end car you could name, including newer lambos etc. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Re: Need recommendation for a proper glass out respray in Northern or Southern California

You realize that it will not be cheap. There is far more money in insurance work than in this sort of thing, typically. So they don't really want to do it.

You might try calling John Rost at German Auto Body in Santa Clara. They are near the San Jose airport. They painted my car and fad's car and did a good job. They use Glasurit paint also.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Walsh For This Useful Post:

DarkStar (05-23-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Bill, do you mind sharing a ballpark cost for the repaint, and if the price was for a straight respray or if other work was included?

My car was painted 10 years ago and it was also during one of their slow periods so I don't think the price is close to what they'd charge now. As I recall it was about $5,200.00, pearl black repaint, removes all cladding and trim and used Glasurit. They did a great job and I always get compliments on the paint.

I would guess for the same job today they would be $10K plus. They do lots of high end German cars.

If you want more details i can look at my RO at home.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Walsh For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    You realize that it will not be cheap. There is far more money in insurance work than in this sort of thing, typically. So they don't really want to do it.

I do. This car has been with me for 4 years and despite showing over 200k miles it is mechanically sorted, drives beautifully, and the interior is excellent. There is something very satisfying about keeping it alive and in excellent condition. So as irrational as it may be to spend better than half the value of the car on a paint job, I intend to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mejnoon For This Useful Post:

sheward (05-28-2016)

Yes I'd say over 10k for a high quality glass out respray. Good body shops charged that much ten years ago.

I think today in California you are looking at $20K. Once you start with new glass front and rear, door seals, windows seals the number will get out of hand quickly.

My restored 16V was a glass out respray some 6 years ago and the number was about $14K Keep in mind this was a color change from Pearl Black to Obsidian black, but the car was delivered to the body shop less all glass.

600Eric may or may not want to comment on the cost of his paint which was done about 2 years ago.

Jeff
    Last edited by captruff; 05-26-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric" 600Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    I think today in California you are looking at $20K. Once you start with new glass front and rear, door seals, windows seals the number will get out of hand quickly.

My restored 16V was a glass out respray some 6 years ago and the number was about $14K Keep in mind this was a color change from Pearl Black to Obsidian black, but the car was delivered to the body shop less all glass.

600Eric may or may not want to comment on the cost of his paint which was done about 2 years ago.

Jeff
    My paint number was also $14K however that was a cash deal. The guy that sprayed it is the head painter at high end local body shop (certified MB, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Etc.) and he used Spies Hecker materials. A few things to note about my car and the work. First and foremost the car was delivered to him completely stripped down (all glass out, lower cladding, bumpers, trim, etc already removed. In addition the car was straight and rust free so there were no significant or extra costs associated with the prep so that helped. However I did have them also re-spray the entire trunk, the engine compartment and the jams even though it was not a color change. All that said as discussed in other threads on this the board the cost of paint jobs can deviate greatly depending on the quality and extent of the work involved. Also as captruff pointed out in his post above there are a lot of additional costs involved going the "glass out" route. You realistically have to figure new glass front and rear as the odds of getting those pieces out without breaking them is a long shot. Other than that there are a lot of other misc parts / things to factor in as if you are going to commit to that scale of project it just doesn't make sense to try and cut corners.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 600Eric; 05-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 600Eric For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-28-2016)