PDA

View Full Version : what do you most dislike about your 124.036...?

valvfloat
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
me...

the shit-tastic 4sp slushbox...gawd it is dumb, slow and noisy...

how i wish there existed a realistic swap for a better gearbox...i'm not even talking about a manual...just a better autobox would be welcome...

what aspects of the 500E are you not terribly enthralled with...?

:duck:

Glen
02-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Agree on the transmission. A 7-speed/MCT gearbox would be cool but I think I'd still want an old fashioned 6-speed manual.

szvook
02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
If I was hell-bent on having a manual, that would be my only pet peeve - but since I donít drive manual cars, that one is out the window for me. Thereís not a damn thing I dislike about the W124.036, Iím still in sheer awe from the damn thing 5 1/2 years into my ownership :bowdown: Öbut I could use more POWER and that only comes down to money, because I already have an outlet where to get more power.

02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
The 722.3 is no where near as bad as being claimed.

The quality, durability and performance is only toped by the 722.6 5-speed that succeed it (The best Auto trans ever made).

IFthe 500E in question had the Correct 722.3 unit in well maintained condition. It will provide good/smooth characteristics and response.

German/Euro spec cars have much firmer valve modulator setting, providing former and faster shifts....Kickdowns are awesome!

As for the 7G-tronic, you can do kick downs going 180km/h !!... But Repair and programming for those transmissions is major PITA, and it can't take the same amount of beating as older units.

02-08-2011, 04:39 PM
but I could use more POWER and that only comes down to money, because I already have an outlet where to get more power.

Exactly!

Would wish for some newer gadgets sometimes like Xenon lights, electric engine fan and better brakes & Radio (mine is a 91)... But all goes out the window once you hit that gas pedal

Style wise, its a 20 year young timer.

bing
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
lack of feel on steering wheel at highspeeds. could have done with parameter steering just like on modern w221's.

gsxr
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
195910 is right on the tranny. A fresh 722.3 is really quite good. However as they wear out, the shift characteristics get annoying in a hurry. You really can't bash the trans unless you have a new/rebuilt *and* have driven other 722's for comparison. Anyway, that said:

1) I wish it had a fifth gear with overdrive
2) I hate the US-spec automatic climate control (lacks "medium" fan speed, and separate temp controls for driver/passenger)
3) Suspension is just a tad on the soft side (the AMG suspension is probably just right, but no longer available)
4) 400hp/400tq would be just what the doctor ordered (6.0L should have been the standard powerplant!)
5) More tilt/adjusting range on the seats would be nice (I have my seat base tilt maxed out)
6) Bun warmers are a bit slow to heat up compared to newer cars
7) Major design flaw: No warning lights for low oil pressure or high coolant temp
8) "ASR Off" switch should have been factory equipment
9) Steering wheel shaft is too low and steering wheel rim blocks view of instruments
10) Front dash/doors do not have ideal placement for stereo speakers, front sound stage is mediocre at best

And all that stuff is pretty minor. I still think it's one of the best overall cars built that you can buy for $10-$20k (currently). If I won the lottery I'd probably just commission Bernard to build me a half-dozen 6.5L .036's with 722.6 trannies... instead of buying a bunch of new cars. Well ok, maybe one SLR and/or SLS. Maybe. And a Veryron SS of course. To get groceries with or drive in bad weather, while the .036's reside in climate controlled garages... lol...

:5150:

Glen
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Dave....you know the E39 M5 just about meets your entire list right out of the box, price included. Of course, they only came with 6-speed manual transmissions. :hornets:

I know overall build quality isn't quite up to par, I'm just sayin'... :hiding:

02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
9) Steering wheel shaft is too high and blocks view of instruments

Good one Dave. in the First days of my 500E, I used to look under the steering wheels rim to know the speed, till you get to know where the values. Now I determine speed using the RPM guage !

No SLS,SLR and buggati's for me. I'd like a 1986 930 turbo in speed yellow and S65 AMG for commute. Plus a 6.5L E500 (priority)

gerryvz
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
My biggest complaint is the climate control system not having an adjustable/middle-speed fan. Drives me nuts on all of my MBs - all have the ACC system.

Transmission has never bothered me, I've had tight .3s and loose ones. They are very durable boxes and are very good for normal driving. Sure modern units are crisper and have more gears, but generally are not as durable and are also more expensive to fix -- not to mention when the electronic controls go out. Big $$$.

If you don't like the 4-speed, try owning and driving a 450SEL 6.9. It only had a 3-speed tranny. Of course, the displacement and torque was so nice that you really didn't need extra gears. Just floor it and go.

Other than that, I don't really have any quibbles with the E500E. If you want a more modern car, get one with more refined creature comforts, crisper shifting, stiffer suspension, etc. Try living with an E55 AMG or a C63 AMG as a daily driver. I'm taking about for hauling kids, wife, vacations, long-distance driving, etc. You will quickly find that for a day in-day out car, the all-roundness of the E500E as a hauler, performance sedan, etc. more than holds its own against modern cars.

Cheers,
Gerry

jano
02-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I'd like
- a fifth gear as well to make a quieter ride when cruising at freeway speeds.
- an easy way to get rid of all the interior rattles, creeks, groans, noises that come with a 20 year old car (I've gotten rid of them on the seat area, but news ones creeping up in the pillars and headliner area and visors now)
- a way to tilt/point the center-console armrest down a bit
- more adjustments on the steering wheel
- more light in the trunk
- a brand spanking new one at today's used prices :D

KarlC
02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
195910 is right on the tranny. A fresh 722.3 is really quite good. However as they wear out, the shift characteristics get annoying in a hurry. You really can't bash the trans unless you have a new/rebuilt *and* have driven other 722's for comparison.
:5150:

Dave was there some AMG guys doing tricks to the tranny to make them better, I thought that I read about that ??

szvook
02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I did come up with one item - FGS valve body. Although I have one installed now, it would have been nice to have FGS at will without using the B switch.

BahnStorm
02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
- It needs an overdrive 5th gear
- It needs a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel (~375mm)

Other than that... it's all good, baby.

gsxr
02-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Dave was there some AMG guys doing tricks to the tranny to make them better, I thought that I read about that ??
There was a guy who worked for AMG (or something like that), think his name was Scott Ponsolle. He did some mods to Satish Tumalla's (sp?) custom 126/119 conversion years ago. Satish did an awesome writeup, which I saved and posted on the Ecstasy forum. Unfortunately, the information only described Scott working on the car, and the results. It didn't include where Scott got the parts nor how or where to intall them. Worse yet, Scott ended up six feet under not long thereafter under some questionable circumstances (never did hear details). I'll see if I can dig up the info and post it here on the 'Spot, since we don't know if/when Ecstasy will ever come back.

UPDATE: Click here (http://www.500espot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1134) to view the tranny thread.

About FGS: I think I posted this elsewhere, but I have found that for normal/sedate driving around town (or, daily driving / commuting) the FGS is almost annoying... the 1-2 upshift is just a hair firmer than I'd like, especially at light throttle in traffic. I end up leaving my car in SGS (second gear start) a lot of the time. I flip it to FGS at the track or if I'm otherwise in the mood for a kick in the rear. I'm not sure I'd want to do a full-time conversion with the valve body; but that's a highly subjective topic, a few folks have this mod and love it. The results also may depend on the condition of the transmission internally, as mentioned in my earlier post. Both my 500's have never-rebuilt trannies. Should be interesting when I get a fresh one installed at some point. Ideally, the car would have both the factory W/S switch (which selects between 1st/2nd gear start) as well as the E/S switch (which adjusts part-throttle shift points). Newer cars have the W/S switch do both, i.e. W/2nd has lower shift points and S/1st has higher (I think). All electronic programming on the 722.6 of course, not possible with our old-tech 722.3's.

:3gears:

gsxr
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Dave....you know the E39 M5 just about meets your entire list right out of the box, price included. Of course, they only came with 6-speed manual transmissions. :hornets:

I know overall build quality isn't quite up to par, I'm just sayin'... :hiding:
I wouldn't be opposed to test driving one someday... although if I did like it, I'd be in trouble. I don't have the time to learn a whole new marque, chassis, engine, etc inside & out for DIY repairs. I've learned a lot about the 124 over my ~15 years of ownership and I'm still learning new things! It's pretty impressive on paper though.

:motor:

550Maranello
02-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Automatic transmission, I hate them.

G Man
02-09-2011, 08:26 PM
My biggest complaint is the climate control system not having an adjustable/middle-speed fan.

Agreed!!

Christian_K
02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to test driving one someday... although if I did like it, I'd be in trouble. I don't have the time to learn a whole new marque, chassis, engine, etc inside & out for DIY repairs. I've learned a lot about the 124 over my ~15 years of ownership and I'm still learning new things! It's pretty impressive on paper though.

:motor:
Hi before i bought my 036 last year, i had test-driven 2. BMW E39 M5s. Overall the car has more Power, feels more like a sports car than the 036 does. However from the "pressed into the seats" felling, there is not such a huge difference. Torque is not sooo much more maybe that explains it, however it really starts to kick-in japanese-like high-rpm sports-car like on higher RPMs - thats what makes it feel more sports-car like. The 036s V8 feels more rubber-band accelerated with same power feeling over the whole RPM-Band -> "boring" or "unspectacular" somehow, or non-sports-car like..
The build-Quality is excellent, suspension is "perfect" i would say, steering ultra-precise, balancing front/rear too, brakes are brutal compared to early 036s ones and of course the car is filled with much more modern and nice electrical stuff.

The downside for me however was the 6-Gear manual gearbox. I hate manual shifting and if we talk about the clutch on the M5... Ohhh boy.. i would have prayed not to end up in a rush-our traffic. Its reallly damn hard, you need arnold schwarzenegger (at his best times) like, thighs. No joke. That was the only reason to decide for the 036 and because i love these "older" look of the W124 Series.
So E39 M5 definately not a car for daily driving to work or so, rather a sunday-use sports car.

Back to Topic:
Biggest Downside on the 036 is the Tranny.. Even if completely revised, a 5th Gear is definately missing.

Glen
02-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Christian:
If you don't like shifting gears yourself, the M5 is definitely the wrong car. I agree that the BMW/Getrag 6-speed isn't the smoothest transmission and the M5 isn't the easiest or most intuitive car to drive but the clutch itself, is not that firm. Firmer than a Honda for sure but compared to a Porsche 928 for instance, it's quite soft. Once you get used to it, stop and go traffic is relatively easy because the engine does have plenty of torque, even down low. To me it feels much more torquey than the M119 at any RPM. Other than that, I agree that the engine feels more sports car like.

Anyway, this thread isn't about the M5...

Back to what I don't like about the .036:
- Like already mentioned, the HVAC fan speed...would be really nice to be able to manually adjust it.
- The air flow through the ducts is relatively noisy.
- Better air flow to the rear seats would be nice.
- Even though I'm used it and know why they did it, I still wish the outside mirrors were symmetrical.

Christian_K
02-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Christian:
If you don't like shifting gears yourself, the M5 is definitely the wrong car. I agree that the BMW/Getrag 6-speed isn't the smoothest transmission and the M5 isn't the easiest or most intuitive car to drive but the clutch itself, is not that firm. Firmer than a Honda for sure but compared to a Porsche 928 for instance, it's quite soft. Once you get used to it, stop and go traffic is relatively easy because the engine does have plenty of torque, even down low. To me it feels much more torquey than the M119 at any RPM. Other than that, I agree that the engine feels more sports car like.

Well, knowing it from certain german and japanese manufactured cars (including early Mercedes!), clutches and even automatic transmissions always get a softer/smoother set-up for the US market. So i would bet my ass that this is true for the BMW M5 too.
Here in germany, well at least in times before today where VW DSG, Audi S-Tronic & Co became a "standard" on modern cars, manual transmission is/was "standard" here and automatic gearboxes were always "somthing special".
As oposed to the united states, here in germany i would say 90% of the cars are manual shifitng cars. That said, i have driven quite alot of them, including race-track tuned opel/vauxhall cars with super-sport clutches (they are quite hard and have a very short pedal-way), but the M5's clutch was still veeeery hard. The hard clutch is even noted in every german BMW Forums purchase-advise for the M5.

DerFuror
10-24-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd like
- an easy way to get rid of all the interior rattles, creeks, groans, noises that come with a 20 year old car (I've gotten rid of them on the seat area, but news ones creeping up in the pillars and headliner area and visors now)

Adhesive-backed felt (can be purchased online or from fabric/hobby shops in sheets or strips) works great on the squeaky plastic covers & interior panels.

jano
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Derf, on the other site, I had documented removing my seats and showing where I placed all the felt last year - I should repost here if I find the pictures. It cut out noise by 80%, but there are still a number of squeaks and rattles in the car that drive me bonkers. I have this light tapping coming from the center vents that goes away if I place my hand on the dash, all the pillars make noise when going from a stop, and there's something wrong with the headliner just behind the sunroof that taps something crazy. I've been meaning to get to these, but taking those pieces out can be a chore. Eventually I will!

gsxr
10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
The self-adhesive felt is available from MB, if you prefer factory-correct felt:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/10/71.jpg

szvook
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Add a loud exhaust and a 10" sub from Kicker and you'll never hear any interior noises. Joking aside, some of the noises could be loose clips. I had one noise from the drivers side door when going over large bumps and it turned out to be a loose clip inside the door panel, so when I had my ICE put in, we put in a new clip and no more noise.

gerryvz
10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
It is definitely important to note that the German felt is faster than the Asian imported felt. I don't know about its' chick magnetization properties, but Derf could probably provide some insight there.

DerFuror
10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
...but Derf could probably provide some insight there.

mmm...fffffffelt! :very_drunk:

I have this light tapping coming from the center vents that goes away if I place my hand on the dash,

It's possible that some of the dash components were removed for servicing reasons during the car's previous ownership. These items usually don't (or can't) equal "factory" tightness upon reinstallation. But as far as the vents go, liberally blast all pivot points with a plastic-friendly spray lubricant, then manually move them around. See if it makes any difference out on the road.

You can also place some adhesive felt behind the console control panel's contact points (...the next time you ever have a real servicing need requiring panel removal).

...all the pillars make noise when going from a stop,

Stop launching the car like an Atlas rocket! The adhesive felt should work well on the pillar covers, which aren't too difficult to deal with (the C-pillar takes some practice).

...and there's something wrong with the headliner just behind the sunroof that taps something crazy. I've been meaning to get to these, but taking those pieces out can be a chore. Eventually I will!

Until your headliner starts sagging & requires removal, just turn up the tunes!

Miziev
10-25-2011, 02:52 AM
The only thing that I don't like about my 500E is a steering wheel. It is too big and the rim is too thin. And yes, as gsrx said it blocks the view of instrument panel. But I've already bought a E55AMG steering wheel (following 2phast's experience), hope it feels better.

At the same time, I am absolutely happy with my transmission.
My last manual gear car was Opel Calibra Turbo with a 6sp Getrag box. It was a real fun driving that car on the mountain roads and an absolute nightmare in the city.

Jelmer
10-25-2011, 06:35 AM
My only two dislikes are the huge/misplaced steering wheel and the high seats, meaning I'm often nearly hitting the roof when I don't move the seats all the way back.

The gearbox could benefit from a 5th gear, and many other things would be nice improvements, but not necessary. I'm pretty sure the gearbox would be less reliable or robust if it had five forward gears.

jhodg5ck
10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
No Proper ASR defeat, no factory True LSD, w/ a 2.82 these cars NEEEED overdrive.. along those lines, the 722.6 is actually a stouter box then a .3..:)

A manual Option would have been spectacular, a-la the 928..

that's about it for my list 0-gripes!

jono

cstratton
10-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Why hasn't someone come up with a fix for the climate control fan speed? Couldn't you use a wheel like on the temp side to control the fan through a reostat to give infinate speeds? I can't do it but it is a great idea for someone who has the knowledge and in hot climates we need it.

Glen
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think it would be too hard to make it work but where would we put the wheel (or knob)?

Why hasn't someone come up with a fix for the climate control fan speed? Couldn't you use a wheel like on the temp side to control the fan through a reostat to give infinate speeds? I can't do it but it is a great idea for someone who has the knowledge and in hot climates we need it.

cstratton
10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
The space in the dash is the same for the temp wheel and the 3 speed buttons

Glen
10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, but you can't remove the three existing buttons without completely redesigning/fabricating a new CCU. My original idea was to use a reostat on the "high" speed setting.

The space in the dash is the same for the temp wheel and the 3 speed buttons

jano
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
What's the issue the fan speed with the a/c ? I wish mine had a setting with a lighter breeze than the lowest sometimes.

Another item that's a bit disgruntling: the occasional shudder/shake that occurs at stop lights; subtle, but annoying. I'm told this is normal with most m119's. Pffft :p

Glen
10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Exactly...the low speed is either not low enough or too low. The auto mode isn't variable enough and too slow to react and high is often too high.

What's the issue the fan speed with the a/c ? I wish mine had a setting with a lighter breeze than the lowest sometimes.

Another item that's a bit disgruntling: the occasional shudder/shake that occurs at stop lights; subtle, but annoying. I'm told this is normal with most m119's. Pffft :p

gsxr
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
A 'medium' fan speed would be awesome. I've thought about trying to modify the PBU so the "auto" button would become a medium speed, and eliminate the auto setting entirely (I could live with that).

Jano, the occasional stumble at idle is most likely ignition related, possibly fuel. With all new components ($$$) it should go away. My '92 idle is glass smooth about 99% of the time but on rare occasions it may still hiccup. If it's frequent, something is wrong, but it may not be worth the time/effort/cost to try and cure it.

:detective:

bing
10-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Has anyone in the US converted their 'climate control' to 'Tempmatic' 2 x temp thumbwheel, like what most of us in Europe have? Saying that, I don't think it will solve the low fan speed issue as I have the same gripe with the tempmatic. Even in high ambient temp I rarely have it beyond low (speed 1). Yes, it does still blow quite high on lowest setting but to counter act I usually just adjust the temp which works well on tempmatic version. I pretty much have it set all year in the middle (white bit between red and blue) which is 22c to us.

bing
10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
I agree with Dave re stumble at idle. Mine used to stumble quite a bit ( but livable) till I renewed the engine harness, caps, seals and rotors. Now it's 99% smooth which is hardly noticeable, only sticklers like us would probably pick it up ..:-). In fact it's 100% smooth after highway driving i find.

gerryvz
10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
99% smooth with a very occasional hiccup. I've lived with it for years, it doesn't worry me. New caps, rotors etc. didn't cure the condition.

10-31-2011, 06:45 PM
That occasional hiccup is a real mystery, never got it sorted, i can visualize the hiccup in digital terms as: 000000000000100000000
After a long high speed drive (engine is de-carbonated) it used to idle so smooth that you wouldn't know its running, till that hiccup happens.

As for my 07 E500 Its super smooth idle has given way to the deep rumble of the BRABUS dual exhuast..

500AMM
11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi.

In fact I don't have so strong dislikes with the cars, this is aging technology so I take it for what it is. However, in my opinion it's too much S-class adoptions on the 124.036. But it's easy to understand based on the high price they had and the intended customer group they had to appeal to. But here's my list:

- exterior; the dual size mirrors looks strange
- interior; the instrument illumination could have been freshed up with other color
- engine; nothing, I don't know about the hiccups mentioned here??
- tranny; 5 gears would be great (ASR defeat, 1st. gear valve body, LSD can be implemented)
- exhaust, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, really tragic sound
- but my only true dislike is the fan speeds on the klima automatik

I'm not an electro guru, electrons are invisible taking unpredictable paths, so I don't cope with it, Ha ha...:-)
So if somebody could take on that job it would be great! The switch/reostat could replace the fader control in the gear console panel, I never use that switch. For those who have the doorlock switch, that one can be replaced too. I've never got the clue with that switch, pushing the drivers door lock knob do the same thing.

Cheers
-arnt-

11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
- exhaust, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, really tragic sound

!! Arnt.. I can't belive you said that!

Take the Catalytic converters out and it will sound like a proper V8.

I would say the new cars (especially M113) sound like they have an electric motor sometimes... But not the M119.

szvook
11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
That's not enough and the car will sound weird. You need proper mufflers as well and if you really want to hear the notes, get an X pipe to go along with the muffler(s).

bing
11-03-2011, 12:33 AM
For me, mid resonator out and it's just right!

500AMM
11-03-2011, 03:45 AM
!! Arnt.. I can't belive you said that!

I would say the new cars (especially M113) sound like they have an electric motor sometimes... But not the M119.

Sounds like an electric motor...that was a good one...Ha, Ha :-)
I didn't mean to offend somebody here, sorry. A clean and strictly original 124.036 shall have the original exhaust in place of course (incl. stock wheels). But a little deeper sound to underline the character would absolutely suit this car. My Limited has the S-class sound, and I'll make a custom muffler with similar looking exh.tips as the original, that should give a deeper sound.

My SuperMerc has a MAE muffler and the rest is original, that's in fact a very nice sound IMO. However the exhaust have to be modified - the engine needs enhanced flow entirely.

Back to the fan speed on the klima automatik, I'm sure it's somebody here who's able to develop this mod's - come on electro guys, chime in here! :-)

Cheers
-arnt-

maw1124
12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
My biggest complaint is the climate control system not having an adjustable/middle-speed fan. Drives me nuts on all of my MBs - all have the ACC system.

Transmission has never bothered me, I've had tight .3s and loose ones. They are very durable boxes and are very good for normal driving. Sure modern units are crisper and have more gears, but generally are not as durable and are also more expensive to fix -- not to mention when the electronic controls go out. Big $$$.

If you don't like the 4-speed, try owning and driving a 450SEL 6.9. It only had a 3-speed tranny. Of course, the displacement and torque was so nice that you really didn't need extra gears. Just floor it and go.

Other than that, I don't really have any quibbles with the E500E. If you want a more modern car, get one with more refined creature comforts, crisper shifting, stiffer suspension, etc. Try living with an E55 AMG or a C63 AMG as a daily driver. I'm taking about for hauling kids, wife, vacations, long-distance driving, etc. You will quickly find that for a day in-day out car, the all-roundness of the E500E as a hauler, performance sedan, etc. more than holds its own against modern cars.

Cheers,
Gerry

+1 on that. I live with a w220 S55 and love it -- it's a monster, a road terrorist. Power aside, the only things that has on this are: (a) more gears; (b) paddle shifters; (c) better climate control; (d) navi; and (e) better seating (5-seater, heated and cooled all around), all of which come with more complexity and more money to fix if they go wrong. This is not a daily driver for me, so I don't miss any of (a) through (e) above. And the S55 cannot be had with this mileage in this condition for anything close to $15k. They're both epic cars. I have no complaints with either, and no complaints with this one compared to that one.

maw

maw1124
12-26-2011, 08:01 PM
That occasional hiccup is a real mystery, never got it sorted, i can visualize the hiccup in digital terms as: 000000000000100000000
After a long high speed drive (engine is de-carbonated) it used to idle so smooth that you wouldn't know its running, till that hiccup happens.

As for my 07 E500 Its super smooth idle has given way to the deep rumble of the BRABUS dual exhuast..

OFF TOPIC: I've got a hiccup at idle, but only in D. In P, it's smooth as silk. I think I just have to live with this, given how the car performs in virtually all other aspects (except for cold starts, as chronicled elsewhere). I'm hoping new plugs might fix this, but my research (on these and w126 560's) leads me to believe it's just part of the "vintage" feel of this car. meaning, it's not something I can "fix." Hell, my S55 gurgles at idle more than I'd like as well. Most of my mechanics are [current / former] race car drivers, who laugh when I talk about fixing that. they're like, "Whatever. Drive a stock car, then you'll understand."

;-D

maw

gsxr
12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
OFF TOPIC: I've got a hiccup at idle, but only in D. In P, it's smooth as silk.
Search the forum... there's a thread on this topic, it's a slim possibility that new insulator behind the distributor rotors miiiiight cure the hiccup. New plugs aren't likely to do it, but if you have fancy non-stock plugs, take them out and put in the correct non-resistor F8DC4 plugs ($2.50/ea from AutohausAZ). Everything else is resistor plugs and they don't play nice with the old-skool ignition systems.

:detective: