PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold gaskets difference

E500star
11-04-2017, 10:05 AM
While renewing all the intake gaskets I have ordered new set of gaskets for the intake manifold.
Two important features:
1.original gaskets are made by elring :

2.by elring online catalog I have chosen 754.591 and 764.605
But they are not fitting a little bit.
Will order 147.180 and 148.190 next time

69853 69854

Maybe will help and save your time

doolar
11-04-2017, 10:40 AM
When I ordered mine for this job I got them from the dealership. They were not that expensive IIRC. I'd go with Mercedes OE on them no matter, you don't wanna do it all over again because of bad gaskets. Just my 5 cents!

Taxi Driver
11-04-2017, 11:56 AM
While renewing all the intake gaskets I have ordered new set of gaskets for the intake manifold.
Maybe will help and save your time

Hi, to what car did you order? As I can see, the new ones are for the M 119 980, I found out when I
changed the manifold on the E60 motor, the very small holes for the crankcase and gas regeneration
valve, the tank "fumes" are not, corresponding. The pockets adjacent to the intake ports are
bigger on the M119 970 heads and will not fit, so you must have the gasket for the head you are
having, see the dowelpin hole, it sits under the ports, two on each side. on the 980 manifold, you can see
the dowelpin hole nearby the the outer two ports, on the upper part of the gasket.

This means, you have to fiddle a bit with the manifold, dowelpin hole and the fume regenerating holes
to correspond either way, if, as in my case be able to use the HWA manifold, E50 E60 980 variety on
119 970 LH heads, it is possible BUT takes some "fiddeling" as said.

Third pix is E60 LH port (upside down, the other are E50 ports

E500star
11-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Hi, to what car did you order? As I can see, the new ones are for the M 119 980, I found out when I
changed the manifold on the E60 motor, the very small holes for the crankcase and gas regeneration
valve, the tank "fumes" are not, corresponding. The pockets adjacent to the intake ports are
bigger on the M119 970 heads and will not fit, so you must have the gasket for the head you are
having, see the dowelpin hole, it sits under the ports, two on each side. on the 980 manifold, you can see
the dowelpin hole nearby the the outer two ports, on the upper part of the gasket.

This means, you have to fiddle a bit with the manifold, dowelpin hole and the fume regenerating holes
to correspond either way, if, as in my case be able to use the HWA manifold, E50 E60 980 variety on
119 970 LH heads, it is possible BUT takes some "fiddeling" as said.

Third pix is E60 LH port (upside down, the other are E50 ports

You r exactly right!
Very useful info!
My engine is 982 but intake manifold is from 974!
Now I discovered that I bought gaskets for 974 thatís why they are not fit to the dowel pins.
Now I think want to do:)
Buy 982 gaskets to fit gas holes or just to made two additional holes in 982ís gaskets :)

Taxi Driver
11-04-2017, 01:46 PM
You r exactly right!
Very useful info!
My engine is 982 but intake manifold is from 974!
Now I discovered that I bought gaskets for 974 thatís why they are not fit to the dowel pins.
Now I think want to do:)
Buy 982 gaskets to fit gas holes or just to made two additional holes in 982ís gaskets :)

Oh, I see. This is an intricate fitment, not only the dowelpins, also the ventilating holes, one for each
intake port will not be functioning as one or two will be blocked by the manifold itself.

You have to modify the manifold, 1. to fit the dowelpins, 2. make a modification of the grove where
the 980 manifold have a couple of "reliefs"cut out to let gases to reach the portion that communicate
with the intake port, I'm sorry I can not find a pict. of the 980 manifold...

The dowel pins are there to keep the gaskets in the right position and you may have to bore a hole
IN the manifold to clear the dowel, it is a try and fit to get it right BUT the gaskets MUST follow the
head it was designed for, not be modified to the manifold!

E500star
11-05-2017, 05:08 AM
Continuing investigations :)
And you r right again-I need to make additional channel as in sl500 98x manifold.

In this points on the both sides:
69850 69851

Hmm....what is the idea of this channels?
And thank you that you showed me this special difference!

Taxi Driver
11-05-2017, 09:10 AM
As I was saying about that channel... see this foto of the 400 manifold where I copied the extra cut/recess, AS PER E50
or 980 ME manifolds. Because the smaller recesses in the 980 heads and the different position of the ventilating holes
in the gasket. see the pen Point.... thats what you have to do to your 074 manifold...

E500star
11-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Cut new holes in the gasket

And made additional ports on each side:
69913 69914

Hope it will take a necessary effect:)

Taxi Driver
11-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Soo, what inlet manifold gaskets did you use? As said, the manifold gasket have to go with the head
not the other way around. By cutting the manifold at the longest recsess two/manifold side (4 Cuts)
There IS no need for extra holes, I did the misstake trying to convert the 980 gasket to the 074
head, as I was using the 980 manifold, some extra holes and fit to the 974 dowelpin.

Result, the ventilation Went furious and did suck in oil from the crankcase, maybe because the tight
6liter and the manifold convertion, I do not know why but the vacuum was, is very high...

What I will have to do, is welding those recesses in the 980 manifold to make it as the 974 and
use the 974 gaskets, once again, the gasket follows the head...

The Chambers at the head where the exessive gases and fuel fume goes into the intake port
as the ones in the manifold communicate ONLY by the small holes, they act as a restriction
thats why no additional holes should be done. You may be looking at the problem I first experienced
Fat White smoke of burnt oil sucked from the crank case.