PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper cover removal ? Jammed foglight adjuster

valvfloat
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
i need to remove a foglight due to a jammed adjuster....

from my cursory inspection it appears the cover needs to be removed to gain access to the light...

is it possible to remove the foglight w/o taking off the bumper cover...?

if not, how does one go about removing the cover...?

JordiC
09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
You do not have to take off the bumper to remove the fog light. There is a removable hatch on the panel just below the fog light unit. Each lamp has 3 screws. Unfortunately I could not get the units to fit through the little hatch no matter what orientation I used, so I just un-clipped the lower protective panel and pulled it aside in order to squeeze the lamps out. Without enough clearance you can expect your forearms to get scratched up a bit. On one of my lamps the piece that accepts the adjustment screw broke off. I used a little Aquamend putty to hold it in place until I get around to ordering a new unit.

500AMM
09-08-2011, 02:47 AM
....Unfortunately I could not get the units to fit through the little hatch no matter what orientation I used, so I just un-clipped the lower protective panel and pulled it aside in order to squeeze the lamps out....
Hi.

The small hatch is only for inspection and changing bulbs. I would recommend to loosen the inner plastic fender all the way up to the shocker/strut. It's 5-6 screws & nuts only, and it easily comes off and give you very good access and work space. Thanks to the W124-quality with its rational solutions, it is so nice to work on and allows for a lot of DIY. Compared to many other car types is the W124 inner plastic fender really made to get off - in one piece - with all attachements still in place..!

Happy DIY. :-)

Cheers
-arnt-