PDA

View Full Version : OWNER - wpirie

500Espot
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Postby wpirie on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 am

Hello!

I was lurking on 500ecstasy and since its hiatus, here.

'92 smoke silver over cream beige heading for 155,000 miles. The last 10,000 in my ownership over the last year. Stock, except for AussieMax keyless entry. Fast, reliable, top build quality.

A lot of deferred maintenence over the last year; the PO took good cosmetic care but not so mechanically. Do my own work, short of engine and trans overhauls, but am slow at diagnostics so this board is invaluable to me. I see Uber500E and Brodie are on Oahu, anyone else in Hawaii? I was looking for a 300E, and read about the legendary 500E during my research so was surprised to see one advertised on Big Island craigslist. Took a chance and literally rescued it from under a tree. It was running fine (after a new engine wiring harness) but PO was starting to lose interest I think as gas was heading over $4 a gallon here...the mouse was quickly gone, but there are still some macadamia nut shells under the intake manifold...

Thanks go to Gerry for starting up this site; a great source of information and expertise.

Ward.

===================================

Postby Pupsi on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:17 am

Car looks a bit rough but after a clean up it will look really nice.

Also, is that your pig?

P u p s i

Postby sportline7 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am

Nice color, is that a pig?

sportline7

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Welcome to the board, Ward. I think it's great that your research led you to choose a 500E over a 300E...the internet works! What are you plans for the car?

Glen Tokuhara
A few cars...

Postby wpirie on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome comments!

Yes, the car is a bit rough, but so am I at this age.

I like the Smoke Silver; heard it referred to as ?Old Man Gold?. Don?t quite get that.

Here is what I have done so far in chronological order:
Electrical: Charging, Starting and possible short/Current drain.
Trunk bump stops
Turn Signal: Right front. Cleaned contacts.
Water Wetter
Transmission service, gasket, filter, genuine MB fluid (NOT necessary)
Headlight wiper blade
Windshield wiper arm (Bosch?)
Grille insert replaced
Ignition tumbler: Generic
Left ventilation louver light
Manual on CD from MBUSA.
Head restraint drop problem. Need to retract rear shade completely.
Distributor caps
Distributor rotors
Airfilters
Ignition Coil; cylinders 5-8, passenger side.
Rear window
Hose, Thermostat
Windshield stars ACE
Intake Air Temperature Sensor replaced (rough idle FIXED!)
Fuel pump RELAY (updated unit with 30 amp fuse)
Neutral Safety Switch: Cracked plastic thing on side of trans
Water Temp Sensor; starting problem?
Fuel Pressure regulator
Fuses: ALL changed to Brass or Copper
Fuel Filter change
Rear suspension pressure spheres and installed filter.
Fuel pump check valves (2)
Fuel Pressure test
Diff oil change.
RADIO, installed Pioneer, both Amp "remote on" and antenna actuator leads connected to automatic antenna actuator lead from Pioneer. Antenna fender bolt tightened.
Bare wire in Driver's footwell, capped and tucked up (phone?)
Thermostat (82 Centigrade)
Fan clutch replaced, old one jammed by PO
Radiator OK, flow fine, three small (one tube) patches (epoxy?) done by PO.
Power steering fluid replaced (Dextron/Mercon 3)
Power Steering Hose return hose below reservoir replaced. Very old and hard, leaking.
Hydraulic hose (supply from reservoir) replaced at pump (leak fixed!)
Accessory drive belt replaced.
Coolant Hoses ALL 4 replaced
Headlight "doors"
Air Intake/Breather (intake scoop to airfilter housing) both
Oil and filter change. Mobil 1 15W-50. Meyle filter. New orings and drain plug copper gasket.
Window exterior weatherstrips
Window sticker: G. Daimler signature; a Mercedes Product.
Fuel pump unit rubber hangers (4)
Fuel pressure test: pump1 42 psi, pump2 bouncing 20-60 psi, NO flow test. (Spec = FP @ idle with vac to regulator..3.2-3.6 Bar 46-52 psi)
Spark Plugs: Bosch F8DC4
Hood Pad, WITH 3m 09080 glue from ASC.
Wheel Bearing; Right Rear
Rear brake: Right side, cut rotor (at wear limit), pads, wear sensors and parking brake shoes
Rear brake: Left side, cut rotor (at wear limit), pads, wear sensors and parking brake shoes
Fuel pump #2 (upper pump)
Accessory Belt tensioner + Rod + bolt, replace.
Center link (Lemforder)
AussieMax
Ignition Tumbler + 2 Keys (MB)

Glen, yes, the internet Works?without it?s knowledge base and parts sources it would be difficult for me to run the 500E. Plans for the car? Tidy up the air dam and put the hood Star back on once I figure out how to reassemble it. Wishlist: 1) Upgrade wheels to 17? when this rubber is used up without compromising ride. I like a simple, clean 5 spoke. Those NEEZ wheels currently under discussion look very nice but for $4500 I would sooner buy the best 400E on the planet. 2)In the interest of hooliganism, be able to turn off the ASR. 3)Get a nice crackle out of the exhaust, not too loud, but something more in tune with the 326 horses. Like what I hear now when the cams start to come on at 3000 rpm?. 4)That European fire extinguisher option in front of the driver?s seat looks cool and functional too. 5)Windshield replacement. 6)Wire garage door opener to 12v of dome light. 7)modify Aussiemax to restore ?convenience? feature. (see WTB: Remote keyless entry kit for 1994 E500 thread.) 8)Continue maintenance, repair and learning about this fascinating car. All dependent on budget and need; two kids in college and the price of living in Paradise being what it is. Premium is down to $2.60 a gallon though.

Pig? What pig? Get my gun! Feral pig (sus scrofa) friend Pigitta had to be adopted out to a human friend with 17 acres to explore. She was getting too big, harassing my dogs, digging up the yard, shaking wet house paint off on the side of the 500E %$#@*&^, long story. Never bothered the cats though. Letting herself into the house through the latched screen door?my wife was NOT amused by this display of intelligence and snout dexterity. Not the usual porker she was used to seeing slacking on the couch.

Thanks again for the welcomes, I?m looking forward to continued help from and contribution to this forum.
Ward.

wpirie

Postby UberE500 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:10 am

Wow - thank God you saved that 500e from destruction! Glad to see another 500e member from Hawaii. I bet the constant salt spray is an issue for you in Hilo..nice pic of the pig! :deniro:

Best regards,

Justin

UberE500

Postby wpirie on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:18 am

UberE500 wrote: I bet the constant salt spray is an issue for you in Hilo..nice pic of the pig! :deniro:

Best regards,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Yes, while the PO took care of the cosmetics, as you can see by things done over the last year, neglect was setting in on the mechanical side. Salt not such an issue where I am in Hilo, a couple miles from the coast and 600 ft elevation. But I don't have covered parking at work in town and the Vog concerns me. Rain through vog can't be good for paint. Are you going to the Kruse Collector car auction at the Honolulu Convention center 2/14? Only Merc in the inventory so far is a '71 280 SE Coupe.
When the Superferry gets going to the Big Island (Kawaihae) later this year we could plan an Oahu GTG? Do you know of other 500s in the islands besides Brodie? I saw a silver one briefly (it was going fast, and I was walking) on King St. by Straub hospital about a year ago....

Your car; great mods and color!

Ward.

Postby s500e on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:36 am

It seems like there is a good number of e500e's in HI.

I saw one 500e in pretty rough shape parked at City Mill, Honolulu location. My memory is fading and can't recall the color.

Nice find in Big Island. Good luck.

s500e

Postby Brodie on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:15 am

s500e wrote:It seems like there is a good number of e500e's in HI.

I saw one 500e in pretty rough shape parked at City Mill, Honolulu location. My memory is fading and can't recall the color.

Nice find in Big Island. Good luck.

It was probably the green one (not Justins), it looks like he was swapping the parts to make it look like a 94-95 car, or it was in an accident, young kid drove it if I recall, also kinda looked like he was sanding it himself to respray, probably why he was at City Mill hahaha getting sanding pads

Brodie

Postby UberE500 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:02 am

wpirie wrote:Hi Justin,

Yes, while the PO took care of the cosmetics, as you can see by things done over the last year, neglect was setting in on the mechanical side. Salt not such an issue where I am in Hilo, a couple miles from the coast and 600 ft elevation. But I don't have covered parking at work in town and the Vog concerns me. Rain through vog can't be good for paint. Are you going to the Kruse Collector car auction at the Honolulu Convention center 2/14? Only Merc in the inventory so far is a '71 280 SE Coupe.
When the Superferry gets going to the Big Island (Kawaihae) later this year we could plan an Oahu GTG? Do you know of other 500s in the islands besides Brodie? I saw a silver one briefly (it was going fast, and I was walking) on King St. by Straub hospital about a year ago....

Your car; great mods and color!

Ward.

Oh I see.....No I did not go to the Kruse Collector car auction unfortunately. I was tied up with work.....That would be great to do a GTG on Oahu. I can think of mine, Brodie, 1 silver 500e (my friend John), 1 silver e500 (older lady driving in Waikiki). I think there are 2 or so more if I remember right.

Brodie - whom is the kid with the other green benz, not a 500 right?

UberE500

Postby Brodie on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 pm

UberE500 wrote:
Brodie - whom is the kid with the other green benz, not a 500 right?

If it wasn't a real 500 the guy put the fenders on it, front and rear, and with that being a pain I'd guess it was just a neglected one since it was SO rough.

I saw a 94-95 E500, (although he put the older nomenclature badge of 500E on it) on Alakea St pulling into a parking garage, guy looked to be in his 40's maybe, only saw it real quick, but again, all the right fenders, seats, bumpers, all the exterior cues were there for it to be legit
Buy my Gray Market 1991 500E: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=155

Brodie

Postby 500eguy on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 pm

wow Nice to see a another 500 saved! I have seen that Faded rough124, i think it has a personalized plate, i have never really gotten to look at the car up close but he claims it is a real 500

Johnny B

92 500e
07 E63
60 190B
93 S4