PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp aim adjustment

bing
09-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I noticed that my headlights don't seem to aim correctly. Not sure if there's a thread on this, and I've not checked in the manual, can anyone advise "how to" please? The Headlamp level switch in the console is working fine as up and down, but I may need to adjust the lamps separately i.e right side to aim lower. I seem to remember that adjustments can be done from behind the units?

Thanks
Bing

gerryvz
09-25-2011, 05:28 PM
There is a aiming chart for headlights. You can use a wall or a garage door as long as the approach to it is straight and level. Aiming adjustments are done via the black turn knobs behind the units, correct.

You can access the document that details this here:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/82-1130.pdf

Or I have attached it. However I don't know if there are differences for UK-spec cars (right hand drive) and US/Euro (LHD) cars.

Cheers,
Gerry

bing
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks Gerry.! Though I have replaced the lens' for left hand traffic I'm not sure if the aim is correct. Now i need to find an aiming chart for left hand traffic (UK driving).

In theory, or my guess, it should just be the opposite as the US/Euro cars. Basically, Right hand drive cars for left hand traffic, the left headlight aims higher than the right to prevent dazzle on incoming cars. So I would guess the same applies to right hand traffic - the right headlight aims higher? I'm probably just being finicky here as I haven't been flashed by incoming cars, yet, to complain being dazzled.

gerryvz
09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I would think it would be the opposite for US/Euro cars, correct.

texas993
11-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Gerry to the rescue with DIY instructions. While my new Euro headlights are much brighter (a $3 flashlight is brighter), they are not aimed properly. I'll fix them this evening. Thanks Gerry.

gsxr
11-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Gerry to the rescue with DIY instructions. While my new Euro headlights are much brighter (a $3 flashlight is brighter), they are not aimed properly. I'll fix them this evening. Thanks Gerry.
The Euros are designed to have the vacuum leveling system installed, which raises the beam to normal position with full vacuum applied, and lowers them drastically with no vacuum. If you're not using the vacuum system (most people don't bother, myself included) then yes, you need to adjust them significantly upward.

:124:

texas993
11-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks Dave. No vacuum on my car. Out of the box, they are actually adjusted too high and too far to the left. Not too far off, but just a lot of wasted light.

These are the brightest non-HID lights that I have experienced. So much better.

I should be getting similar light out of my '95 E300D, right? If so, I think that I will upgrade those bulbs to the Osram 70/65.

gsxr
11-20-2013, 09:13 AM
You should be getting similar, but not identical, light out of your E300D. The Osram 70/65's will definitely help. Very strange yours are too high out of the box. I've always had to raise them.

:blink:

szvook
11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Out of the box, they are actually adjusted too high and too far to the left. Not too far off, but just a lot of wasted light.
I don't believe the Euro lights have a lateral adjustment, just a vertical one. Are you maybe referring to the light pattern the Euro lights throw.

I also had to adjust my Euro lights upwards when I first got them, you might be the first person who needs to point them down.

szvook
11-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Btw, I was chatting with Daniel Stern and he brought up one item about the Euro lights that I wanted run it by y'all. He mentioned that some Hella lights were made for the right side of the road countries and that the light pattern would be different and he mentioned that it would also apply to the 036 Hella Euro lights we have installed. Is this an actual fact?

texas993
11-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Maybe Tom Hanson likes to turn knobs! I have two adjustment knobs on my headlights (one was hard to find). Not sure what they do yet as I need to test them in the dark. And I could be wrong as my test drive on with the new bulbs was short and in a well-lighted neighborhood.

Thanks for the comment on the E300D, I'll eventually order some more Osrams.

Glen
11-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Btw, I was chatting with Daniel Stern and he brought up one item about the Euro lights that I wanted run it by y'all. He mentioned that some Hella lights were made for the right side of the road countries and that the light pattern would be different and he mentioned that it would also apply to the 036 Hella Euro lights we have installed. Is this an actual fact?

Yes. In RHD markets, the light pattern cuts up on the left as opposed to how ours cut up on the right. This is to keep from blinding on coming traffic.

gerryvz
11-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Vookster, yes, definitely. I think bing alluded to it earlier in this thread. Applies to 036 lights as well -- I have learned since 2011 that there are indeed two versions even of the 036 lamps !!

szvook
11-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Maybe Tom Hanson likes to turn knobs! I have two adjustment knobs on my headlights (one was hard to find). Not sure what they do yet as I need to test them in the dark.
One knob is for the headlights and one knob is for the high beams, both adjust the height only.

szvook
11-20-2013, 10:10 AM
I think bing alluded to it earlier in this thread.
Yep, he very much did...lack of sleep and working all night made me miss that.

szvook
11-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Sooo, is it just the lenses that change the lights from left to right hand traffic?

gsxr
11-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Sooo, is it just the lenses that change the lights from left to right hand traffic?
Yes.

:mushroom:

gsxr
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
One knob is for the headlights and one knob is for the high beams, both adjust the height only.
There are actually three total knobs. One for main beam up/down, one for main beam side to side, and a third knob for the auxiliary high beam up/down.

:mushroom1: :mushroom1: :mushroom1:

szvook
11-20-2013, 11:25 AM
There are actually three total knobs. One for main beam up/down, one for main beam side to side, and a third knob for the auxiliary high beam up/down.

:mushroom1: :mushroom1: :mushroom1:
Where is the side to side knob? Do you have a pic from the back? I could swear I didn't see a third knob...

gsxr
11-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Where is the side to side knob? Do you have a pic from the back? I could swear I didn't see a third knob...
The third one is hidden pretty well. Here's a photo of the back side of a different light, but the layout is the same on all Euro-style 124 lights including the 036:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2013/11/71.jpg

szvook
11-20-2013, 01:55 PM
I stand corrected, I do see the third knob and it's a bitch to turn/adjust comparred to the other two. I've never adjusted the third knob for side to side movement when I got my lights, they seemed to be set straight. Is there a guideline for side adjustments?

texas993
11-30-2013, 02:43 PM
I adjusted my lights today. Gerry, thanks for the instructions.

My my euro headlights were, in fact, too low. And there are three adjustment knobs. Just like everyone said!

Can't wait to drive in the dark to see the improvement!

Jlaa
12-29-2017, 09:37 AM
The third one is hidden pretty well. Here's a photo of the back side of a different light, but the layout is the same on all Euro-style 124 lights including the 036:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2013/11/71.jpg

Hi Gang,

So with the euro headlights, I think I figured out that the center knob adjusts up/down, and the inboard knob adjusts the hi-beam-pencils. How does the outboard knob work? Is it supposed to control L/R somehow?

The outboard knob on my driver's side acts very goofy. Turning one way doesn't seem to do anything. Turning the other way seems to make the headlight go DOWN (but not side to side) which then requires me to use the middle adjuster to bring the beam back up.

Note that I do have the vacuum adjusters hooked up and the vacuum adjustment works fine. Does anyone have a picture that shows a closeup of how the adjustment mechanism works? (Like, is there some worm gear / roller thing that is not engaging, or is something broken and I'm SOL?)

Thanks.

gsxr
12-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Yes, the outer knob should adjust laterally (left / right). It's possible the knob is not connected properly inside the light. Do you have the same problem with both headlamps?

See PDF in in post #2 for details on adjustment.

:tumble:

JC220
12-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Hi Gang,

So with the euro headlights, I think I figured out that the center knob adjusts up/down, and the inboard knob adjusts the hi-beam-pencils. How does the outboard knob work? Is it supposed to control L/R somehow?

The outboard knob on my driver's side acts very goofy. Turning one way doesn't seem to do anything. Turning the other way seems to make the headlight go DOWN (but not side to side) which then requires me to use the middle adjuster to bring the beam back up.

Note that I do have the vacuum adjusters hooked up and the vacuum adjustment works fine. Does anyone have a picture that shows a closeup of how the adjustment mechanism works? (Like, is there some worm gear / roller thing that is not engaging, or is something broken and I'm SOL?)

Thanks.

Correct the outboard – right most knob in that picture adjusts the Left / Right aim. You may need to use the up down along with this when making small adjustments. Are you aligning the headlamps yourself? It is possible to align them at home – I’ve done it myself.

Some tips before beginning-

Check / adjust tyre pressures
Half Fill with Fuel
Set the headlamp aim / vacuum dial to position 0 (Where equipped)
If you are thinking of upgrading bulbs etc do that before adjusting
Have someone of your approx weight sit in the driver’s seat when adjusting the lamps

Be sure to adjust not only the height but also the aim of the lamps. Based on your location / local laws you can get a beam pattern diagram and very accurately set the beam yourself. You need to measure the headlamps etc and place tape on a wall. I do my own cars at home and they are always spot on when tested by the machine a MOT time. Having the beam set correctly is the best headlamp ‘upgrade’ you can do!

As I said before I will do a DIY on this..... but for now there are some good resources out there to describe what I am talking about-

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a257/1347221/

71599 71600

(http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a257/1347221/)

a777fan
12-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Correct the outboard – right most knob in that picture adjusts the Left / Right aim. You may need to use the up down along with this when making small adjustments. Are you aligning the headlamps yourself? It is possible to align them at home – I’ve done it myself.

Be sure to adjust not only the height but also the aim of the lamps. Based on your location / local laws you can get a beam pattern diagram and very accurately set the beam yourself. You need to measure the headlamps etc and place tape on a wall. I do my own cars at home and they are always spot on when tested by the machine a MOT time. Having the beam set correctly is the best headlamp ‘upgrade’ you can do!

JC, you have a dedicated headlamp aiming area set up??

Beyond awesome my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC220
12-29-2017, 11:49 AM
JC, you have a dedicated headlamp aiming area set up??

Beyond awesome my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite :)- although my flat driveway and white wall is ideal as such! There is a way of measuring and marking the wall (Black electrical tape) to allow for the % drop there should be in the beam pitch. And the markings are measured and placed for the left / right Aim of the headlamps. The Hood Star is perfect for this purpose. The tape is set up just when the aim is to take place then taken off. It needs set with precision and based on exactly where the car has been parked. (Note my beams are pointed for LH Traffic. I got one of the last pair of now NLA E500 MB LH Lamps)

I started aligning my w124’s myself because garages weren’t really setting them right. They got them ‘about right’ for the test and that’s about it – also never setting the aim as the car would not fail MOT for lamp aim. (Whereas it will fail for pitch as that could blind oncoming cars) Both should be set but garages around here are lazy and the test centers do not enforce the Aim issue – but it IS a test criteria also.