PDA

View Full Version : LA Times article on oil-change intervals

gerryvz
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Interesting:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-oil-change-20111215,0,4554184.story

jhodg5ck
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
for new cars running a Quality synthetic sure...but don't run those extended drains on your M272/273..balance shaft failure What??

But if i'm running conventional oil in an older car, especially one that sits in traffic/driven around town yer damn well sure 3K or less is where it's @.

Jono

samiam44
12-16-2011, 06:32 AM
so anyone know what "friction proofing" is for a motor?

or better yet how it's going to allow engines to last longer?

gsxr
12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I saw that "friction proofing" thing and wondered what the heck they were talking about. Overall the article is correct, most people do change their oil more often than necessary. But as Jono states, there are circumstances where the oil should be changed in 3k or less. I'd say that's probably a pretty low percentage though.

I bet the majority of cars are ok with a 5k interval, maybe 7.5k in light service, but I'd be REALLY nervous about going past those points with dino oil. Note that the mfr's who have systems which monitor the oil and allow ~15k intervals also spec high-quality synthetic oils.

For the record, I typically change the oil in my 500E's at 5kmi, and at 10kmi in my E420's. Both are fed synthetic oils (currently Mobil-1, possibly Red Line or Amsoil in the future).

:seesaw:

gerryvz
12-16-2011, 08:33 AM
5K is safe with a good quality dino oil; and I think 7.5-10K probably fine for a synthetic.

However I change my regular dinos at 2-3K; the partial synthetic Brad Penn in my 560SEC at 3K (per Jono reco); and my synthetic Mobil1 in my E500 at 5K.

I have also seen it published (at least with pure dino oils) that they should be changed no matter the mileage at least once per year. I don't believe this applies to synthetics. I have not adhered to this in the past and have seen no problems because of it, but it has been a theme out there. A couple of my cars don't see more than a few thousand miles a year.

My thoughts about the article: I don't disagree with the premise for the average consumer/car, where 5-10K is probably indeed just fine. However I choose to maintain my vehicles (and always have, since I got my first car) on a more aggressive and proactive schedule than most people.

Cheers,
Gerry

Glen
12-16-2011, 09:20 AM
The downside to everyone going to longer intervals is that oil prices will go up. :-(

jano
12-16-2011, 10:25 AM
"Friction Proofing" may be the layman's term for the lining they put in, such nikasil. Of course, this is from one laydude's interpretation, who knows just enough to be dangerous. :flush:

gerryvz
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
You mean you guys don't use Slick-50 to friction-proof your motors ?!?