PDA

View Full Version : 01/2012: MBCA STAR

gerryvz
01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
"Return of a Legend"

From the January/February 2012 issue of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America STAR Magazine.

An in-depth article that details the acquisition and restoration of a 560SEC that was converted to AMG spec by Henric. Some of you on Benzworld may know him by his nickname there, 48hp.

Henric is one of the very few folks on the Benzworld W126 forum who are truly knowledgeable, personable, easy to deal with and not a total bozo / drama queen. Stellar guy, right up there with Jono.

Enjoy the article!

Cheers,
Gerry

Ron500E
01-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Here's an article in the MBCA Star magazine that details the acquisition and restoration of a 560SEC that was converted to AMG spec by Henric. Some of you on Benzworld may know him by his nickname there, 48hp.

Henric is one of the very few folks on the Benzworld W126 forum who are truly knowledgeable, personable, easy to deal with and not a total bozo / drama queen. Stellar guy, right up there with Jono.

Enjoy the article!

Cheers,
Gerry

+1 on Henric (48hp), a great guy.

Ron

jano
01-02-2012, 05:21 PM
I recall reading a thread on BW a while back - is this the same widebody that was rescued from the crusher in AZ?

I'd like to know what head unit is in there, too, can't tell from the picture... ;)

gerryvz
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I think that was the "Rise of the Phönix" thread on Benzworld, which can be read here (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1493775-project-arizona-rise-ph-nix-wide.html).

There is a parallel thread on the MBCA web forum here (http://www.mbca.org/forum/project-arizona-and-rise-phonixan-amg-wide-body-story) which doesn't have a lot of the typical Benzworld 126 forum bozo detritus & inanity in the thread, making it a much more interesting read.

Cheers,
Gerry

Cannoli
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Nice article ... a lot of work to recreate the Beast.

550Maranello
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Very nice article, thanks Gerry.

Here are some pictures of several wide bodies [560SEC and 500SEC] which I had the opportunity to buy before I purchased my 500E. All three cars came to Virginia from UAE via Canada. Only one 560SEC was fitted with catalytic converters and neither car had service records or any kind of history. Since the owner was a very closed mind person I could not reach an agreement regarding pre purchase inspections and he sold them through ebay. The 1985 500SEC went to a buyer in Chile, the others two I don't know who bought them.

550Maranello
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Here are the photos.

Cheers,

Orazio

gerryvz
01-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey Orazio,

Owners seem to think their SECs are worth much more in today's market than they actually are. These are absolutely great cars, but they are also at pretty much the lowest price point I've ever seen, except for the better cars (and AMG models) which are turning the corner and starting to head back upward. But it's going to be quite a long time yet until some of these cars are worth what some of these owners are asking.

I appreciate the AMG models (particularly the 32v models) as much as the next guy, but I have to say that from a practicality/daily driving/parts/maintenance standpoint (and my 1989 560SEC is daily-driven) a stock car is truly the way to go. The AMG models are just a smidge over the top to me in terms of flashiness. I have uprated 16" deep-dish Lorinser wheels that were designed (& are period-correct) for the coupes but that is the only external bling on my car. And I remember when I got the car -- I had the option to pay an extra $1,500 for the wheels and decided at the last second to get them. It took me 2+ years to warm up to them but now I wouldn't have anything else - I think the Lorinser RS-90s look better than the period-correct AMG Aero Is, even when those are 17-inchers.

That's part of the appeal of cars I've owned like the E500, 300SEL 6.3 and 450SEL 6.9. They are just total sleepers that are so subtle in their bling that 99% of the population never notices. One has a REAL difficult time telling a 6.3 from a 6-cylinder 280SE and the only way to do so on US cars is if you see the inch-wider wheels and on the later 6.3s, often the Bundt wheels (which you don't see much on the pedestrian 108/109 cars). For the 6.9, it's really only the bumper covers that give it away -- 6.9 US-spec bumpers are all black while the 280/450SEL/300SDs have a chrome strip on the top of the bumper. And we all know the 500E's subtle cues.

So while I know the SECs will appreciate in the future, I think there's a good 10-15 years before we really start to see some good climb in value on them. By that time they're going to be VERY rare cars, particularly outside of the US. Until that time, they'll slowly inch upward, but only the Condition 2 and 3 cars that are actively mechanically maintained. Our 500s are on a path well behind even the SEC, but they are certainly just as collectable in the long run given their provenance.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Gerry

Emaq
01-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I remember a write up when Bruno Sacco was interviewed during his later retirement years. Of all the vehicles he designed with Mercedes, he still keep an SEC in his stable which seems to be his favorite. He also admitted that the door handles were a little bit overdone (too big) and maybe will do something about it with his car when he finds the time.

Cheers!
Manny

gerryvz
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, I think that article was in the Mercedes-Benz Classic magazine, which comes out quarterly. I'll have to find that article. There are so many articles on the SEC that I have yet to post.... and quite a few that I don't even have.

Dr.Grillz
01-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Just received my magazine, even though I read the article on the website. Nice photos and once again a very nice article of how much work and effort went into to construct this widebody!

jhodg5ck
01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
I drive twin cams all the time, great daily drivers... I do like a stock car, they are Very nice, but they Really do want 300HP+ @ the crank...especially w/ the power that new cars make these days. The cars also feel More refined/effortless when they have a notched up mill under the hood... not quite V12 effortless, but getting mighty close. All adds to that bank vault feel that we All love..:)

jono