PDA

View Full Version : BMW E39 M5

chappardababbar
07-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Postby Chappardababbar on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Guys,

Looks like a few of you have M5 in your stables. I looked at about 5 examples before I bought the 500E and was actually on my way to see the M5 I was convinced I was going to buy before randomly stopping at a dealers to check out the 500E en route. I just bought it on the spot and sometimes look back.

I'd be interested in hearing from owners of both cars as to how the two compare. Obviously they are a generation apart and not direct rivals like tke E34 M5 but I want to know which people prefer and why. Which car has the better build quality? Which is the better drive? etc.

Chaps

===================================

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:30 am

You're right, they are a generation apart so you'd think the M5 would be better in every way. In terms of performance, the M5 is much quicker and faster then the 500. With the 6-speed manual, the car is fun to drive as hard as you want or you can short shift and skip gears, the engine doesn't care, the S62 engine is a jewel, lots of torque from idle to redline and it loves to rev. If you are light on the throttle and keep it under 75 MPH, you can get 25 to 26 MPG...if that's your thing. The bottom line is that this engine is flexible.

Handling, I would say goes to the M5 also. It is slightly firmer and doesn't lean as much in turns. It's 18" stock wheels put a lot more rubber on the ground then stock 500 wheels. I run staggered 18" wheels on my 500 and that closes the gap but I'd still give the edge to the M. Otoh, with upgraded struts/shocks on the 500 plus larger sway bars, I don't see why it couldn't handle equally or better. According to the specs, the M5 is roughly the same weight as as 500 but IMO, the 500 actually carries it's weight better. To me, the M5 feels like the heavier car...it could be that I need to replace the struts/shocks and/or some bushings but that's how I feel.

This brings up another point, BMW struts/shocks and suspension bushings don't last as long as Mercedes parts. My M5 only as 45K miles and I feel like the shocks are at or nearing their end of life. I'm currently researching suspension upgrades. Thrust arm bushings are known to wear quickly and there are upgrades available.

Overall build quality easily goes to the 500. It just feels more solid, the doors close with that vault like solidity that we always hear about. The M5 is solid too, it just doesn't have the same quality feel as the Mercedes. Interior materials are much more durable in the 500 although the M5's interior looks very modern and of course has all the electronics that many people want. The BMW leather is softer and has a nice matte look/feel but I don't think it will look as nice 10 years down the road. The HVAC system is more user friendly in the BMW and works better and is quieter.

Overall dimensions are pretty close but the M5 feels like a significantly larger car, especially from outside...very noticeable when washing. Oh, more legroom in back in the M if that's important to you plus you can seat three people back there. I think the average M5 will look considerably more worn out as time goes on while the better materials in the 500 will hold up better and look fresher longer.

In a nutshell, 500 has better build quality and overall feel. M5 has a better engine and is more modern overall. Both are amazing and IMO each is the best of their respective manufacturers...then or now.

Glen Tokuhara
A few cars...

Postby gerryvz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 am

Balanced and honest summary, Glen. Good job.

Cheers,
Gerry

Postby Chappardababbar on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 am

Thanks Glen,

I'd love to own an M5 one day and I agree that it's probably the best thing to have ever come out of Munich. But if you could only have one?
Also in terms of running costs ignoring fuel as the more modern engine of the M5 is probably more efficient (even more so than the e60 V10), which is easier on the wallet?

I'm suprised you said the Merc had better build quality. When I went to the view the cars I was looking to buy I was very impressed by the quality of the BMW. The doors definitely felt heavier and had a more vault-like feel than the 500E and the best cars felt taughter, and tighter that my 500 although that may be a reflection of my car.

I'd also add that I think although both cars sport classic lines, I feel the 500E is more timeless but to me the reason I bought it over the M5 is that it felt more special. The jerry can in the boot was what did it for me!

Chaps

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

If I could only own one? Easy...E500E, definitely. Like you said, it feels more special and I agree, it's lines are timeless and the fenders are just...well, you know. :)

So far, for me, running costs have been very low for both cars. Shortly after I bought my 500, I put in ~$3200 in "maintenance" items: upper timing rails, alternator, and upper wire harness...all this was done at the dealer which is why it cost so much. At the time, I didn't have time to work on it and it was so new to me, I didn't feel comfortable doing the work myself. Since then (2001) it has only required general maintenance items like distributor caps/rotors, brakes, filters, and fluid changes. I don't drive it that much though (30K miles in 8 years) so that may be a contributing factor.

I've had the M5 for 4 years now and it too has been pretty much trouble free. A few months after I bought it, the check engine light (Service Engine) started coming on intermittently. It needed a new oxygen sensor which the dealer diagnosed and replaced under warranty. It's been out of warranty for almost 2 years now and it hasn't needed anything other that routine maintenance. Annual mileage is about the same as the 500, 15K miles over the last 4 years.

Both cars have the potential for very high running costs. For the M5, the vanos system is a source for huge repair bills and the S62 is known to develop carbon build-up problems in the secondary air system. BMW dashes eventually develop dead pixels in the cluster display and with all the other electronics in the car, something is bound to go out at some point.

For the 500, we can expect the electronic throttle actuator and EZL to eventually die as well as the infamous wire harnesses from that era. Many Benzes from that time also have issues with air conditioning and cruise control.

I think both cars have the potential for very high maintenance costs and it will depend on the individual car and how it's used.

Regarding build quality, I definitely feel the W124 is constructed better. Even my wife's '95 E320 wagon has a quality about it that surpasses E39. While the doors are heavier in the M5, they don't have that vault-like sound when closing. Once closed the car feels very secure, it's just the way they close. The switchgear and door handles/latches feel more robust in the MB but again, the BMW's are nice too. It's just when comparing the two side by side.

For comparison, the Porsche 928 is another car that I feel is like a bank vault. Close those big, heavy doors and it feels like the car is machined from a single piece of billet.

Postby gerryvz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:54 pm

Off-topic, but the two most 'bank-vault' door cars I've ever felt (outside of a Rolls-Royce) would be the 928 (so +1 Glen) and most definitely the 1986-1991 560SEL and 560SEC (or really, any W126 for that matter).

The R107 is no slouch either, even the Germans nicknamed the R107 SL "the panzerwagen" and for good reason.

Cheers,
Gerry

Postby 195910 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Glen wrote:Both cars have the potential for very high running costs. For the M5, the vanos system is a source for huge repair bills and the S62 is known to develop carbon build-up problems in the secondary air system. BMW dashes eventually develop dead pixels in the cluster display and with all the other electronics in the car, something is bound to go out at some point.

Glen.

Did you have any engine problems due to the high rev ?
My cousin is considering buying an M5. but doesn't know how long the high rev engine holds up!

regards

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:29 pm

195910 wrote:Glen.

Did you have any engine problems due to the high rev ?
My cousin is considering buying an M5. but doesn't know how long the high rev engine holds up!

regards

There are a handful of posts on M5board about main bearing failure on engines that have seen high RPM use. The consensus is that it isn't a common problem and seems only to affect higher mileage (> 75K miles) engines that have spent a lot of time above 6000 RPM. Some members have indicated they will simply install new bearings at that mileage as a preventative measure.

As a counter point, there are way more cars that have well over 100K miles (a few close to 200K) with no issues so it could be a simple case of engine abuse or extended oil change intervals.

Postby gerryvz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Boy, I certainly don't consider 75K a "high mileage" breakpoint. 150-200K, yes, but wow, that's interesting to see.

Proactively replacing main bearings -- sounds like an expensive proposition. If people are considering such, it must be somewhat of an issue. Are BMW owners typically pushing extended drain intervals for their motor oil? Generally I have thought of BMW folks (particularly M owners) as just as if not more fanatical about their cars (generalizing here) than our band of 500E folks. I'd be surprised if the vast majority are pushing their motor oil drain intervals much past factory standards. Right?

Cheers,
Gerry

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm

The factory oil change interval is similar to MB's system...lights on the dash indicate when service is needed. It's based on how much fuel the engine has used, how many starts, etc. In general, it's about 15K miles or once per year. Most owners change their oil at least once between the service light indicator. And yes, most are just as, if not more, fanatical about servicing their cars.

As you might imagine, there's lots of, er...discussion, on what oil to use and how often to change it.

Bearing change at a good indy is roughly a $2000 job, give or take a few hundred...so not terrible but not necessarily pocket change either. I personally don't believe it's an issue. As I mentioned, only a handful of cars have experienced the problem.

Postby captruff on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:31 pm

I do not have an e39 M5, but I do have a 1997 e39 540i 6 speed. I purchased the car a little over a year ago and have put on about 20k very spirited miles in the past year putting the car at 135,000 miles. The engine has been solid requiring only O2 sensors, the front suspension needed front thrust bushings, front and rear pads and rotors, and the car itself some cosmetic trim pieces replaced. The 540 is a daily driver for me and it will likely see 20k+ miles per year so I hope the car will treat me as well as the first year.

I have spoken to Glen about our thoughts on the e39 and we are both in agreement that the car feels a bit large when compared to our 500E500s. Build quality goes to the Mercedes, but imo, due mainly to the manual tranny, the e39 is more fun to drive in the canyons. For the open road I would give the nod the the 500E500.

Jeff

Postby Chappardababbar on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks for the insight. You are very lucky to own such excellent motors.

Chappardababbar

Postby 195910 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
I usually associate High rev engines with overhauls every 100Tkm. But I guess the new technology German engineered high rev engines are not like a corvette or lancer..

Postby G Man on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm late to the party...as usual...but I would also echo Glen's comments.

Handling- M5
Open Road- 500E500
Build Quality- 500E500
Acceleration- M5
Fun to Drive- Depends on the road
Repair Costs- Toss Up

For the M5, the vanos system is a source for huge repair bills and the S62 is known to develop carbon build-up problems in the secondary air system...

I'm fortunate here, because my neighbor Chris Gant owns a company called Dr. Vanos (http://www.drvanos.com), so I'm covered if that day comes. :beerchug:

Gary
'92 Mercedes 500E
'01 BMW M5
'04 E55 AMG
G Man's Site

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 am

Gary's post reminded me of something I have noticed. I'm not sure if it's because the market is larger (more cars), a stronger enthusiast base, or something else but there seems to be a much better aftermarket for BMW cars. Not just more performance parts but companies that have taken the time to fix, rebuild, redesign problem areas, like the VANOS systems or dead cluster pixels or thrust arm bushings or sway bar mounts or...the list goes on.

In the MB world we are still waiting for a reliable source of rebuilt ETA's, EZL modules, etc. Even low tech stuff like a wiring harnesses are available from MB only. The Porsche world is like BMW's...lots of creative people and companies making stuff. Anyway, just an observation.

Postby G Man on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:46 am

My friend Chris quit his job at Dell to do this full time. He says he has more business than he can handle.

Hmmm....Dr. EZL....Dr. Harness.....Dr. ETA.....Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!!

Gary
'92 Mercedes 500E
'01 BMW M5
'04 E55 AMG
G Man's Site

Postby Allgonquin on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm

I have thought exactly the same for a long time. I think for a long time BMW has been regarded as a more performance-sports oriented brand than MB, drawing younger owners and more owners doing their own tuning and mods. I think those of us who work on our MB's ourselves are in the minority (although there are a fair number of diesel owners doing their own thing).

I'm curious about sales volumes, MB compared to BMW - I'm sure it's easily researched. Aftermarket rebuilders are going to need a good population of whatever widget it is that needs rebuilding before investing in the technology and/or research to figure out how to fix a widget. How many ETA's and EZL's are there vs. Vanos units or dash pixel displays?

Anyway, same for me, just opinions and observations.

Glen wrote:Gary's post reminded me of something I have noticed. I'm not sure if it's because the market is larger (more cars), a stronger enthusiast base, or something else but there seems to be a much better aftermarket for BMW cars. Not just more performance parts but companies that have taken the time to fix, rebuild, redesign problem areas, like the VANOS systems or dead cluster pixels or thrust arm bushings or sway bar mounts or...the list goes on.

In the MB world we are still waiting for a reliable source of rebuilt ETA's, EZL modules, etc. Even low tech stuff like a wiring harnesses are available from MB only. The Porsche world is like BMW's...lots of creative people and companies making stuff. Anyway, just an observation.

Rgds,
Allgonquin
'93 500E
'95 E300D
'88 300E

Postby Alpina on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 am

IMO the E39 is a more than a generation ahead of the 124036,,, yes faster in ingear accl ,, but on highspeed i think the E500E can show how fast it is on high speed ,,(( but keep in mind that the ratio on 124036 is 1:1 /// 2,81,, so it is almost on rev.limit on topspeed ~~ 250 km )) but the M5 is faster ,, 400 hp and 500 nm= S62 vs 320+hp and 480 nm M119
I have had the E34 M5 3.6 ,, and a healthy 3.6 is faster than M119 5.0,, but just to say it is ahead when sprinting ,, ,,,,,,,,,,,, i dont know about 200 km + speed

The E500E is a status symbol that no BMW can match (( M1 maby )) BMW was ahead of MB to buildt a sport supersaloon the E500E is a performance luxury sedan not a sporty 4d car

The E34 M5 is the car that should be judged ahead with 134036 ,,,,,,,,, STUNNING car and i take a 3.8L anyday ,, very good build quality and a much more fun to drive rather than E39 M5 ,, a 3.8 car is slower than a E39 M5 up to 200+ but dont know after that ((((( E34 M5 has no chance against my BT ))

E39 M5 is a superb alround car ,, but many say it lacks the thrill of entertaining like the E34 is able to give ..
Sveinbj?rn Hrafnsson

ALPINA BITURBO 346@507
E30 CABRIO S38B38

Postby gerryvz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Alpina wrote:BMW was ahead of MB to buildt a sport supersaloon the E500E is a performance luxury sedan not a sporty 4d car

Not true. MB pretty much *INVENTED* the genre of the "supersaloon" with the advent of the 300SEL 6.3 in 1968, which was developed beginning in 1967 and produced through mid/late 1972. This was followed by the 450SEL 6.9 produced from 1975-1980.

BMW came out with its' first supersaloon the E28 M5 in 1984 -- a good five years after MB *ENDED* production of the 450SEL 6.9.

Though both the 6.3 and 6.9 retained their luxury (though Spartan as it was), both (particularly the 6.3) had a clear focus on PERFORMANCE. The 6.3 was the first car that both MB and Aufrecht and Melcher (AMG) respectively campaigned from 1967/68 onward and the AMG 6.8 cars (with engines surrupticiously supplied by the MB factory Experimental Department to Melcher) were almost stock in terms of the chassis and suspension equipment.

The 6.9 was not really raced (however MB successfully used the 450SLC 5.0s in the late 1970s for rallying -- that 5.0 engine being the direct ancestor to the M119 and father to the M117) and was indeed more of a luxury car.

Yes the BMWs would be considered more "sport" than the MBs but both lines (particularly the Ms and now today the AMGs, fathered by the aforementioned cars, then the 16-valve, then the E500E) have a very clear focus also on performance.

Alpina wrote:The E34 M5 is the car that should be judged ahead with 134036 ,,,,,,,,,

I agree that the E34 with the 3.8-liter-motor is most definitely the more proper & appropriate comparison with the E500E, NOT the E39. Not bagging on either car, but you have to look at it as a generational thing -- the W124.036 was made from (roughly) the 1991-1995 model years, and the E34 M5 3.8 was produced from the 1992ish-1995 model years.

The E39 M5 was what, 1997ish to about 2003 -- clearly after the E500E.

Cheers,
Gerry

Postby Alpina on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:21 am

The M5 E34 3.6 was launched in 88,,,,,, and was changed to 3.8 in 92 - 95 both cars faster vs, 124036 .. both manual ,, both produced as a good handling sports-sedan

Yes i agree the 6.3 is the first Luxury performance sedan.. yes so true.. but i feel that you are reading between lines.. BMW had also been in to this ,, but later ,,the E23 745 ((inline 6-- 3.2 turbo [[3.2x1.4 =4,5L))
and that car came in 1981 and smoked away the 500 W126 in straight line performance ,,,,

when M-B was making powerful sedan cars ,,, BMW was racing E9 ,, CSL ,, BATMOBILE and other cars with huge succes,,

M-B made the walking line for powerful luxury sedan cars no doubt,,,,,,, USA made the MUSCLE limo but they had a poor top-speed end ,, and ,, terrible handling ,, but accleration no euro sport sedan could ever dream of

Also this,, the quality of M-B cars vs BMW was in a clear lead,, until the W202 and W210 came to production......

imo this is different cars,, M-B have been making bigger engines,, very nice power ,,bigger car in its class .. BMW more of a sporting driving machine

talking about racing,,,,,,,,BMW E30 M3 is the worlds most succesful racing vehicle,,
W201 23-16 and 25-16 is DTM most succesful winner car @ N?rburgring..... they were in top output from AMG 376 hp,, but very unreliable,, they were just a little faster vs M3 and great handling to ,,,,,,

ps.. I am going to N?rburgring 27/4 -04/05 and on may 1 and 2 there will be DTM revival from 88 :dancings: ,,,, the golden years from 88-93 ,, just fantasic era of DTM motorsport and with full respect all Europeans agree they were the greatest years of touring car motorsport in the history ,, today it is to much ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wannabe F1

regards
Sveinbj?rn Hrafnsson

ALPINA BITURBO 346@507
E30 CABRIO S38B38

Glen
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Thought I just post a picture...
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2009/07/131.jpg

gerryvz
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
This is one of my favorite threads on the entire board. Once nice thing about finding and adding the old 500eboard.com content is that I get to relive every thread on the old board, one by one, as I copy and format it into new messages. :scratchchin:

Cheers,
Gerry

Glen
07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Another picture. In case you were wondering what it looks like inside the intake plenum of an E39, S62 M5 engine:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2009/07/132.jpg

With the cover in place:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2009/07/133.jpg

gerryvz
07-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Holy crap !!

:drool5:

:deniro:

:wootrock:

Cheers,
Gerry

Glen
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Pretty cool, eh? You can really see the technology jump from our M119's. Eight tuned intakes feeding 8 individual servo controlled throttle bodies. Gee, I can't wait for something to malfunction! :cry:

szvook
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Let me get up first from the drool puddle I fell into. :buggin: Nice ride, Glen.

Having seen both cars in the same picture, really brings into view how menacing the E500 looks compared to the M5. No offense to the M5, but the E500 has a much meaner look to it.

Glen
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I absolutely agree, Steve. The E39 is a nice looking sedan but it doesn't hold a candle to the 500!

szvook
07-15-2009, 06:29 PM
If I owned both cars, I would have one hell of a time deciding which car to drive. How do you do it, Glen?

Swordfish
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Just came across this old thread which I thought I might chime in on since the E34 M5 was brought up.

Up until 2 yrs ago I owned a 91 M5 which had a rebuilt s38 motor by Henry Lawrence of The Powerplant in NC.

I had the car tweaked soup to nuts. Dinan SLS delete suspension, Jim Conforti Tune, Eisenmann exhaust, 18x8.5/18x10 SSR Type C wheels, Euro cam sprockets, etc..

Put down 273 whp at Pruven Performance's Dyno Dynamics dyno in Milford CT.

To this day, I regret selling that car....momentary insanity is what I'll plead. Not only did that car move, it handled superbly.

I've also had the fortune of having driven a few e39 M5's which are a totally different beast all together. Handling wise I think the e34 is better and more predictable at edge...in fact I'll go so far as to say I'm sure of it.

One thing I'm going to do is to avoid comparing the 500e to the M5 as I truly feel they're just too different to compare.

I also know I will one day soon be buying an E39 M5 only because they are getting so affordable but it will be based on just that...because they're getting pretty cheap.

The e39 M5 however, as much as I do want one eventually...does not stir my soul, nor does it make my heart skip a beat when I see one........a w124 500e on the other hand.....makes the hair on my back stand on edge......Proper Old German Steel comes to mind., but to each his own, right ?

Some pics of my old Bavarian Rocket....

PS_ the rear 18x10's weighed in at 18.7 lbs......man that rear end would light up without flinching.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/02/38.jpg

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/02/39.jpg

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2011/02/40.jpg

gsxr
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Duuuuude! You SOLD that thing?

:smack: :whip2: :stirthepot:

Swordfish
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
....as well as my Lemon Yellow 1970 914-6 w/ dual Webers and Bursch SS snakes, and countless other gems.....but life's too short not to try em all...and I can't afford to own all of them , so it is what it is.

That said, that M5 was pure $ex.....I know its cliche, but good God almighty , the sound of those ITB's at full song is a sound I will not even try to describe.

I'm promptly getting ill.. :barf: ........but thanks man.

Glen
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Great looking E34! I love the raw and direct feel of the E34 M5, it's a more natural and intuitive car to drive but the E39 just speaks to me more...I think it's more Mercedes like, LOL :-)

szvook
02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
but life's too short not to try em all...and I can't afford to own all of them.
Very true....but :omg:, some you just "have" to keep. You have my deepest sympathy, that was/is a nice car. And oh yes, your nausea aside, you should still be :whip2:

Christian_K
04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
The E39 M5 is a lovely car, i once test-driven one before i bought the 500E.
Very good acceleration, but at least in Germany the clutch is a PITA. You need Schwarzenegger Legs to use the car in City or in Stop and Go Traffic.
I then went with the 500E because of Automatic and its look, thought to save some money actually xD.

However i find it generally bad to compare a stock MB car, with a Tuners car "BMW M GmbH".
For that the 500E 6.0/E60AMG should be compared to the E34 or even E39 M5. Then the world looks entirely different. I dare to say with the long rear-axle and its sheer Power, the 6L will Outperform both the M5s. Not in acceleration but later on ;-)

Glen
04-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Update to this old thread. My E39 M5 now has ~53K miles. Last year I replaced the stock suspension because the car had lost its crisp handling and showed excessive dive on braking. I installed a Bilstein PSS9 kit which included front and rear 9-way adjustable monotube struts/shocks with height adjustable coilovers. Overall, the car is pretty firm now...maybe too firm. I had to replace the rear camber links at the same time due to worn ball joints in the arms. More proof that BMW suspension parts may not be as durable as MB.

Another addition last year was a GROM Audio iPod adapter with Bluetooth. This is a really nice upgrade and allows me to make and receive hands-free calls while driving. With Siri, I can also text almost handsfree too. I can also stream music wirelessly, Pandora, iHeart, TuneIn all work great...very convenient. :-)

I think the main advantage that the E39 has over the W124 is more modern electronics and convenience features. My son likes that the back seat window switches are auto-up/down. Also, there's an a/c vent for rear passengers. My car has the 60/40 fold-down seats which is also handy. The built-in navigation, while dated now, still works and is easier to read than my iPhone.

nyc123
04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I have a very low mile 03 E39 m5 the last yr produced. My car has about 3,000 miles on it. I dont have a 500E (looking for one) but I do have a 95 E420 with 21k miles on it. In terms of build quality I think it is no contest not even close the Mercedes build quality on the 124 chasis is much higher than the E39.

Glen
04-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Very nice! Post some pix :-)