PDA

View Full Version : Who's running 18X10's? What offset? Do I have room for 5mm spacer?

samiam44
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Guys,

I've got some ET25 18X10 wheels. The have clearance issues with the (aftermarket) brake calipers.. I was planning on 275X35X18 tires.

Michael

sheward
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
It would be close. I know 18x10 ET25 with 285/35/18 works and a 275 has 5mm less tread width "on each side" which should allow for your 5mm spacer. That would put the tire VERY close to the wheel arch. If unsuccessful, You might make it work with a slight fender roll (inside) and a 265 /35/18. It would be trial and error. There's probably 1 or 2mm body to suspension variation possible from car to car / bushing cond. / etc. As i said, 285 on your wheel specs works with no interference on my car...which rides on H&Rs as well.

drew

samiam44
07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I noticed you said 285/30/18? Is that correct? I though it was 285/35/18? I've got 275/35/18's.. The lips are already rolled. So I'm basically stuck if the spacers won't work. I maybe able to move the caliper inboard a tad. But at will make new pads a pain as one will have to be thinned slightly.

Meaurement wise, it looks like I'll be outboard of the body by 0.5 inch at the current ride height of 25.75. I only checked one side.. it's possible that something isn't symetrical.

gsxr
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
275/35/18 or 285/35/18 are correct for the E500E (not 285/30/18), with an appropriate / matching front tire diameter.

If you are using 275/35/18 then I think you'll be fine with a 5mm spacer, even with stock fenders. If the fenders have already been rolled, it won't be an issue even with 285's.

:)

sheward
07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Just went out and checked tires. I should have listed 285/35/18. Prior post has been corrected. Thanks Dave.

drew

gsxr
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Drew, thanks for checking! I think Michael should be fine with 275's pushed out another 5mm. Especially if his fenders have been rolled a bit.

:deniro:

samiam44
07-20-2012, 09:35 PM
All I can say is I don't see it..I will be 1/2 past the wheel arch, not flush. The car sits pretty low- so there is very little vertical for it to pivot inward by 3/4 of an inch. But I ordered the spacers and we'll see how it looks without tires. Then we'll pickup a tire and mount it. Pull the spring an move it through it's travel a bit to see what happens.

Anyone know what the story is on exchanging tires for a different size if they have never seen pavement? Will most tire stores do that? I'm thinking of the new DW's sitting there....

Michael

szvook
07-20-2012, 10:10 PM
All I can say is I don't see it..I will be 1/2 past the wheel arch, not flush.l
If your car is lowered without any camber adjustment, then the top of your wheels will be tucked in a bit more, since the rear camber will be more negative than with stock 16" wheels. Even on a car with stock height, the wider rear wheel/tires will also drop the camber and the top of the wheels are tucked in, so with the added spacer the 285 tire should still be ok.

sheward
07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Michael. Here is the picture refered to in our pm. 285/35/18 tire mounted on 18x10 ET25 on a stock 500E.

drew

KarlC
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Michael. Here is the picture refered to in our pm. 285/35/18 tire mounted on 18x10 ET25 on a stock 500E.

drew

Drew, is your car lowered, what is your ride height from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender ?

Are your fenders rolled ?

Thanks

KarlC
12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
All I can say is I don't see it..I will be 1/2 past the wheel arch, not flush. The car sits pretty low- so there is very little vertical for it to pivot inward by 3/4 of an inch. But I ordered the spacers and we'll see how it looks without tires. Then we'll pickup a tire and mount it. Pull the spring an move it through it's travel a bit to see what happens.

Anyone know what the story is on exchanging tires for a different size if they have never seen pavement? Will most tire stores do that? I'm thinking of the new DW's sitting there....

Michael

Michael what set up did you end up doing ? Is your car lowered, what is your ride height from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender ?

Thanks

gsxr
12-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Another data point: My rear ride height with a full tank of fuel is 13.75" from wheel center to bottom of the fender lip, and I have 18x10 wheels (unknown offset) with 285/35/18 tires, unmodified fender lips. Photo below.

:mushroom:

KarlC
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Another data point: My rear ride height with a full tank of fuel is 13.75" from wheel center to bottom of the fender lip, and I have 18x10 wheels (unknown offset) with 285/35/18 tires, unmodified fender lips. Photo below.

Dave its hard to say for sure but it looks like your tire sticks out past the rear fender and you have some negative camber also ?

My rear ride height with a 1/2 tank of fuel is 13" from wheel center up to bottom of the fender lip

sheward
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Drew, is your car lowered, what is your ride height from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender ?

Thanks

This car rode on stock suspension without any fender rolling. I cannot say what the wheel center to fender measurement was. This car has since moved on to a new owner. I did mount this same wheel/tire setup to my current 500E which rides on H&R springs with K mac bushings for camber correction however i never put many miles on the setup. I was also adjusting the SLS system at the time and can not definatively comment on the clearence issue. I'll see if i can find a picture that may help.

drew

gsxr
12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Karl, my rear tire is very close to the fender, but as the tire moves up it also moves inward due to the suspension geometry. So even though it looks like it might rub, it doesn't. I have a feeling that this fitment is awfully close to the maximum possible without rolling the fender lips. I will also double-check to see if my fender lips are stock/unmodified, although I'm 99% sure they are original. For camber, I have the RDM TEK rear LCA's and the rear camber is approx -1.5.

BTW - it is nearly impossible to get an accurate wheel-center-to-fender-lip measurement without the stock wheels mounted, or a similar OE/OEM wheel with the Star logo center cap out near the edge of the wheel. I can't get a good measurement when the 18" iForged wheels are on the car, I need to put the stockies back on first.

:watermelon:

KarlC
12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
BTW - it is nearly impossible to get an accurate wheel-center-to-fender-lip measurement without the stock wheels mounted, or a similar OE/OEM wheel with the Star logo center cap out near the edge of the wheel. I can't get a good measurement when the 18" iForged wheels are on the car, I need to put the stockies back on first.

:watermelon:

Yea, my Renntech's have the MB Star center cap so it pretty ez.

gsxr
12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Checked my rear fender lips. Bone stock, not rolled, just the factory radius. Even with "star" center caps, if the cap is a couple inches in from the outer edge of the wheel (i.e., "deep dish" wheels) the measurement won't be accurate if you measure to the cap itself... the measurement will be a bit longer than actual. It will be close though.

samiam44
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I think my wheel wells are radiused- it works. It almost never rubs (and I think the 8.5's rub in the front, not the 10's in the rear). Car is lowered I'm sure( I think it is 10.5 in the front and 11.25 rear-that's from memory on the alignment machine)- hard to measure wheel well to center with these wheels. The wheel being so far out in the back- it makes a mess if you drive in the rain.

KarlC
01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I think my wheel wells are radiused- it works. It almost never rubs (and I think the 8.5's rub in the front, not the 10's in the rear). Car is lowered I'm sure( I think it is 10.5 in the front and 11.25 rear-that's from memory on the alignment machine)- hard to measure wheel well to center with these wheels. The wheel being so far out in the back- it makes a mess if you drive in the rain.

Thanks for the reply can you post some photos ?