PDA

View Full Version : Fading/Oxidizing Paint on Hood

emerydc8
08-13-2012, 12:12 AM
I have black paint and have noticed just recently that the hood is starting to oxidize or fade. It appears to be the worst right over the top of the engine where the heat is most intense. I tried McGuire's rubbing compound and it seemed to take some of the cloudy appearance out, but I doubt that I could do the whole hood without some sort of buffer. Has anyone used a different product for this? Is this something that can even be rubbed out?

gerryvz
08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
You need to get an orbital polisher and a progressive kit of polishes like this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/6+inch+machine+polish+pad+cloth+kit.do?sortby=ourP icks

That is, if you want to do it yourself.

Other option would be to have a detailer go over your car. A good detailer can make it look like new. The MB paint is pretty robust and responds well to polishing.

Cheers,
Gerry

emerydc8
08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Gerry. I'll give it a try.

emerydc8
08-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks. I'll try the orbital polisher soon.

MBZ 500E
08-18-2012, 12:38 PM
You might consider bringing the car to a body shop to check the paint thickness before you start buffing unless you know for a fact that the car hasn't been buffed multiple times in the past. Another way to tell paint thickness is to check for factory orange peel. If the orange peel is still present you know you have some paint to work with. If the paint is smooth it has likely either been buffed a few times or resprayed.

Once you have confirmed above I would agree with Gerry that the Griots buffer is fantastic. The best results require two steps, an initial leveling/cleaning step which will remove the oxidation and light scratches and a second step to add the high gloss back to the paint. You'll need multiple pads for this as well.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Good luck!

DerFuror
08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I have black paint and have noticed just recently that the hood is starting to oxidize or fade. It appears to be the worst right over the top of the engine where the heat is most intense.

Does your car have an underhood insulation pad intact?:detective:

emerydc8
08-20-2012, 05:14 AM
It sure does, and it's in pretty good condition, although original. Please excuse my ignorance, MBZ 500E, but what is factory orange peel and how do you check for it?