PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Randy Crooks
08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
I don't want to cluutter up that thread on the 500 hammer with a rust conversation.I thought I'd show some of you guys (that think you know what rust is) a few pics I took this morning in my back yard.

This is rust,and this is what a climate like we have in Nova Scotia will do to metal.If you live in Western Canada,Northwestern US,Central US and most of the Southern States.. You can't possibly know what real rust is,your climate just doesn't create those conditions

Cobra
08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I live in Sweden, in the winter we spread salt on the roads, my whole life i have seen many cars take the toll and end up in a cloud of rust...
One of the big sports here was to hide the extent of rust to structural parts of the car from the guys at Swedish MOT ( who check that all vehicles are safe to use ).

Roger ( who is performing the " grosshammer " with the engine swap to a 6,0 liter and i go way back, we had a small hobbygarage back then, we founded our
car escapades by helping poore souls who had a failure at the MOT because of the structural parts rusted trough.

In time we got rather handy with the torch..

2phast
08-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Yep, that Hammer will end up looking like that car in a few years.

Rick Stevens
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
So it took 25 years to get to the state it is currently in and you think it will look like the husk of a car shown above in TWO years?

2phast
08-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Didn't say two years and you don't know how long that rust has been on that car. Maybe the car was well taken care of for most of its life and the rust is recent. You just don't know.

I have seen rust bubbles on the body pop up in as little as a year.

gerryvz
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Guys ... ALL W124s are inherently light-years ahead of earlier MBs (such as the W108s/109s pictured above by Randy) in terms of rust-protection. In fact, I personally believe that the 124 was probably the pinnacle of MB rust protection. The post-124 W210s had major rust issues, and this quickly became apparent within just a couple of years of their introduction, in Europe, and later on the in the US with the "spring perch rust-through" issue. I don't believe the rust protection on current-generation MBs is any better than that of the W124.

That said, you're NOT going to see rust-through on this Hammer, at least any time soon. Most all of the rust shown is on the undercarriage, and even there it takes a LOT of exposure to rust through structural components, let alone body panels and the floorboard. There is a definite difference between surface rust and structural rust-through. One does lead to the other through prolonged exposure and such, but it generally takes a while.

The stuff that Randy shows is European-style rust on the W108/109 chassis, which (along with Finnies, Pontons and the like) are NOTORIOUS for rust-through, even quite often in "moderate" climates. These earlier MBs had virtually NO rust protection, and the 124 is several orders of magnitude better than any W108/109 in terms of rust protection. Randy is just using his 108s to illustrate what "real" rust can and does look like. It's a major factor in the world of cars like the 300SEL 6.3 and such.

It appears to me that the surface rust on this Hammer has likely been there for quite a few years, and the fact that it's been in rather dry storage and hasn't seen much exposure/use means that the rust hasn't gotten appreciably worse in recent years. That's not to say that it's harmless rust -- and as I said previously it can certainly grow given time and the right conditions. And that doesn't mean there's not significant cancer elsewhere on this vehicle.

Cheers,
Gerry

alabbasi
08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Yep, that Hammer will end up looking like that car in a few years.

b0110x

If it stays there it may, but if it's sent to the southwest and it'll slow right down. From the pictures, that car isn't bad.. not bad at all.

Taxi Driver
08-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi, to 2phast i could say " you no nothin " one of the best lines said in the movie Deliverance, by that Hillbillie
but as I am no HillB. I won't. As the Hammer has been living in this country it would take a winter or two to get surface rust on the undercarriage. This one had no treatment other than inside beams and kickpanels, I know as I straighted the foremost part of righthand bumperbeam and had a look inside the beam and the crossbeam for the controllarms.

Nowhere did I find anything but surfacerust wich will be attended to, rotating wirebrushes do work wonders. The rear subframe have to be shotblasted but thats what you do to a fairly old car here when tidying up, I guess its not the issue in say Nevada, but cars living in salty mist along the ocean thats another story, they do rust for real, afterwards protection will take place, here we don't throw away precious cars for some rust, and look at England, I did a lot when I was formerly a Jaguar man, there you can speak of rust repair even I wouldn't consider,,Roger