PDA

View Full Version : Switch mods

500Espot
07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Postby Chappardababbar on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm just doing some thinking about some of the mods I want to do to the car once I get the holes cut out for the dash. Thought I'd think out loud and get some ideas from you guys.

I'm going to have two or three spaces for switches: 2 on the first line of switches where the hazard light is and a final switch where the front to back audio switch is.

I figure the front to back fader roller thing can go as I'll probably have that feature in an upgraded sound system down the line.

You know the two stage heated seats button? Well I'm thinking to have the same type of button for a dual ASR off/FGS switch. A mod would be needed so you could have four settings: off, fgs only, asr off only, both on.

That leaves two spaces. One has to be for central locking lock/unlock (where the fader roller is like in AMG cars)

Final one? Options are
Town and Country horn (cool but completely unnecessary - may just upgrade and have one LOUD horn)
Boot open (good for Mrs with shopping etc)
NOX ( never thought about it before until just now)

Any other ideas?

Chappardababbar

===================================

Postby gsxr on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:17 pm

You can get the "limo" console wood, which will add at least 3 more full-size switch holes, plus an extra small switch. 1994 models gain 4 full-size holes since the fader was eliminated beginning in that year.

Two of my switches are non-functional. The other three new ones are for the stereo, Valentine-1, and FGS. My ASR defeat switch is above the ACC unit (in place of the alarm LED).

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2009/07/9.jpg

Before:
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2009/07/10.jpg

After:
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2009/07/11.jpg

:coolgleam:
Dave M.
Boise, ID
1995 E420 (W.I.P.)
1994 E500 (Q-ship)
1993 300D (Sportline)
1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
1987 300D (R.I.P)
Click here for my website photos, documents, and movies.

Postby 2phast on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 pm

FWIW, the 94/95 center console wood without the fader is NLA, your stuck getting the wood with the fader cutout and putting a ugly black plastic plug in it (MB supplies this at no charge)

2000 CLK32k & 1993 500E

Postby gsxr on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:46 pm

2phast wrote:FWIW, the 94/95 center console wood without the fader is NLA, your stuck getting the wood with the fader cutout and putting a ugly black plastic plug in it (MB supplies this at no charge)

This is a good reason to fill up the hole with a functional switch. If you have an aftermarket stereo system installed, you can set up a "valet" switch so you can listen the stereo without the key, and also prevent other people from using the stereo (if they don't know about the switch). Or, it's a nice place to have a remote switch for your radar detector... you can shut it off without raising your arm up, which the nice officer might notice if he's behind you with lights flashing.

:duck:

Postby 2phast on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Good idea! Anything is better than the black plastic filler that MB provides.

2000 CLK32k & 1993 500E

Postby Chappardababbar on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Dave, in the 'before' photo, there's a circular knob below the mirror adjuster - what's that for?

This was useful because it didn't occur to me to replicate the child-lock button on the other side. I'll definitely do that.

Limo wood won't work for me because I have the on board computer, the buttons for which are located where you've added your three extra buttons. I'm going to get Madera to do the work eventually.

In the after photo, you have a button with a horn symbol, one with central lock, and one for boot pop . Are you saying these are actually operating valentine, FGS and stereo? Are the buttons W124 specific or did they originate from other models?

Also, do you know if anyone has done a mod whereby when you select 'S' on the switch besides the shifter, the car would automatically start in first. Surely that would be the best way to do it? I can't believe Mercedes didn't do this in the first instance.

Chappardababbar

Postby gsxr on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Chappardababbar wrote: Dave, in the 'before' photo, there's a circular knob below the mirror adjuster - what's that for? This was useful because it didn't occur to me to replicate the child-lock button on the other side. I'll definitely do that.

That was for the BergWerks FGS system, to select normal or "sport" mode. The other child-lock button now performs this function.

Chappardababbar wrote:Limo wood won't work for me because I have the on board computer, the buttons for which are located where you've added your three extra buttons. I'm going to get Madera to do the work eventually.

Oh! Wow... very nice, that is a rare option. Madera does good work, btw. They can also add button holes at the top, if you want to put some switches up between the seat heater switches... but you'd have to figure out how to attach the plastic frames underneath. I think someone else did this, but I didn't save photos of it.

Chappardababbar wrote:In the after photo, you have a button with a horn symbol, one with central lock, and one for boot pop . Are you saying these are actually operating valentine, FGS and stereo? Are the buttons W124 specific or did they originate from other models?

The horn switch is for the stereo, the recirculation swithc operates the V-1. The central lock and boot pop are non-functional at the moment, just filling the empty spaces for now.

Chappardababbar wrote:Also, do you know if anyone has done a mod whereby when you select 'S' on the switch besides the shifter, the car would automatically start in first. Surely that would be the best way to do it? I can't believe Mercedes didn't do this in the first instance.

Yes, this is a common modification, my car has this (although, I don't have the E/S function which adjusts the shift RPM... the switch only controls 1st or 2nd gear start). The previous owner modified the E/S indicator so it indicates F/S, F = first gear start, S = second gear start.

:spinsmile:

Postby gerryvz on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Or, as I believe she put it:

F = fast
S = slow

Cheers,
Gerry