PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Chassis Plate

philnor
09-10-2012, 07:56 PM
During my cars pevious ownership it has been repaired at the front and painted. The chassis build plate in body colour has not been replaced, screwed in place. Does anyone know if these can be re ordered and replaced by MB.It is annoying when lifting the bonnet to look at the blank area and obvious ommission on the panel.

Cheers, Phil

gerryvz
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
These cant be replaced - they are installed at the factory and are non-replaceable. I guess if one had an excellent metal fabricator one could have one custom-made, but you'd have to have all the digits, etc. Your best bet is probably to just get one off of a wrecked car, paint it, and install it. Close enough....

Cheers,
Gerry

philnor
09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Close enough it will have to be then. Many thanks for this Gerry.

Cheers, Phil

gerryvz
09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Hopefully you can get one off of a 500E. Next time I'm in Europe perhaps I can get a 199 colored one off one of the wrecked cars at Van de Velde's wrecking yard. Or perhaps 036 or the Jelmerian can go down to Belgium and score one of them for you ;)

You could also have a chat with Chris at Mercman about it, too. The problem is that Mercs is now way down on the extreme southwest tip of Blighty -- even west of Plymouth -- which is bloody far from London.

bing
09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Phil, it might be suspected as "cut & shut" since the numbers wont much. Unless of course it's for your eyes only.

philnor
09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Gerry, one from a 500E would be ideal especially 199. Any help with sourcing one would be much appreciated. I will try mercman, the post still works in UK so I could get it posted to my house there. I am presently bloody far from anywhere posting this from Lagos Nigeria.

Cheers, Phil

philnor
09-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Bing, the car was not repaired to a high standard, I bought it unseen. In fact I didnt even drive it first my wife did. Driving it back home across the North Yorkshire moors(Often used by evo, Car and TopGear) She immediately called it monster Merc. because of effortless power delivery. For the price I paid I would always be honest with anyone who wanted to buy. Apart from missing chassis plate, bonnet and grille replaced with later type. Headlamp lenses wrong(Maybe reflectors as well).Engine undershield missing as well as half a wing liner. It has had 2 new wings and the AC has never worked. But it deserves better, so an appropriate plate would make it look better when lifting the bonnet(Hopefully not for another expensive repair). I know where there is a disabled complete W140 S class with a perfect grille, so next time I am there I am going to try and score the grille and see if I can fit it in place of the present grille. Anything else from w140 s class useful for a 92 E500?

Cheers

Phil

bing
09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Depends which 140 . I don't think this type of grill will fit.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/09/29.jpg

This one, which is standard on S600s, I believe this will fit with some cutting/mod. As you probably know this is one of the most common upgrades on W124s, especially 036s . Ah..but wait, yours is a 92, so no good either of them
:banger:..
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2012/09/30.jpg

philnor
09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Bing, when the car was repaired it had the"later type bonnet and grille" fitted, 94 style. The disabled car is an S600 so I am hoping to remove it and try to mod and cut effectively.

The 600 disabled and left for spares because MB dealer and various mechanics of varying ability failed to get it to start. The original owner sold the car as non runner spares. He is a well known international figure and there is a story for the future, if I can secure the Grille. Are wheels the same?

Cheers Phil

bing
09-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Is the car within my reach? I'm running a S600 at the moment to suit my odd weekend golf - the nice boxy boot fits 4 golf bags with ease - and I need some bits ! I don't think 140 rims will fit due to 14mm lug bolt. need the "fudge" to chime in on this perhaps. There's not really alot that you can snag from this to fit 500Es.

philnor
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Bing,unfortunately the car is about 1,500 miles from you and it will be a couple of weeks before I get to it again.