View Full Version : 93 500E Electrical Issues

09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
So as I'm continuing my efforts with the 500E, I've come across a few new problems. The electrical system does some strange things. For example, headlights are iffy (sometimes on sometimes not) one lower fog does not get +12 v, and when you attempt to turn on the high beams, the SRS light illuminates and the aftermarket radio turns on (not my installation). I have since removed the radio. Ive also noticed a small two prong connector just hanging freely under the dash with a red/black/purple wire connected to it. This appears to be similar to what would connect to the stop lamp switch (ive seen on other w124) but there is no where for it to go? Im also getting the brake wear indicator light and check engine light intermittently. Any ideas?

09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I had some strange electrical issues when I got my car, all the fuses in the fusebox was old (Aluminum) so I replaced all of them with new copper fuses and it worked.

09-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Regarding the SRS light, I would check that the warning bulbs are all in their correct sockets. It could be your SRS and lamp-out bulb were accidentally swapped by a previous owner.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have a ground issue somewhere.