PDA

View Full Version : Locked out

500Espot
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Postby Chappardababbar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Okay I was working on the car (cleaning the engine bay) just now. The key was in the ignition, all doors closed except boot. My crazy car locked itself! I'm sure this happened once before but I thought I had imagined it.

I'm about 100 miles away from the spare key. Is there any way to open the car from the boot?

Chaps

===================================

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 pm

If the trunk is open, I *think* you can unlock the doors by cycling the vacuum lock mechanism.

Glen Tokuhara

Postby Chappardababbar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Glen wrote:If the trunk is open, I *think* you can unlock the doors by cycling the vacuum lock mechanism.

Glen, you're going to have to break it down for me.

Chappardababbar

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:26 pm

You need to access the pushbutton lock mechanism from the trunk side. First, remove the plastic panel, on the passenger side of the lock you should see a vacuum servo, move the rod in and out.

Postby Chappardababbar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Cool, let me try it. If this works I OWE you...

Chappardababbar

Postby Chappardababbar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 pm

Glen you're a legend.

Chappardababbar

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Glad I could help :coolgleam:

Postby Prime on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I know it's too late for this instance, but when I bought my car with its auto-locking feature as part of the remote entry, the mechanic (who used to own a 500E) showed me a neat trick in case I ever got locked out. Upon seeing this thread I thought it might some day come in handy for someone else here. It's not perfect, because it requires a "tool" that you may or may not have access to, but here it is.

The tool is a piece of plastic strapping like is used to wrap packages for shipping - about 1/2" wide and usually black. Crease it in the middle (so the crease is across the 1/2" width - not the long and difficult way) and you can fish the folded "end" in between the window and the B-pillar (either front or rear door will work). Now you have the two loose ends outside of the car. Hold one end in place and push the other end forward. This will cause the loop inside the car to get larger while leaning to one side, which will allow you to slip it over the door lock pin. Once you're on, pull up and voila!

It sounds more difficult than it is, and I'm not sure I'm describing it clearly, but the mechanic demonstrated and was in my car in about 15 seconds. At least in your own garage, it might be worth it to keep a piece of the strapping handy just in case.

Postby Chappardababbar on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 am

That's definitely worth knowing. In fact I'm going to practice now so that I don't have to faff about when it comes to the crunch (and it will). I think I know which tool you're referring to. The stuff that they tie really tightly around parcels, so tightly that it's actually pretty sharp to the touch and you end up cutting yourself when that parcel you were impatiently waiting for finally arrives and you think you can tear it open with your bare hands, even if there are kitchen scissors within a 10 metre radius. You can't slide it off the box either and neither can you break the cardboard around it without damaging your goods. Then you take your teeth to it but it doesn't snap/break like you expect; instead it shreds so you change your strategy and tear little chunks out of it instead of knawing at it. That still doesn't work and by now you're angry so instead of going for the kitchen scissors you go into the garden and get the shears/loppers/saw and rip its ass up.

Am I right or what?

Auto lock eh? This is new to me and would explain why this is the second time I've locked myself out. The first time I called roadside recovery and they sent a guy who wedged chocks in the door frame, then fed a bare metal wire about 2 metres long into the cabin and flailed it around the entire cabin (could easily have ripped the leather). By the time I got outside to meet him he had already started, no disclaimer, no nothing. I nearly died when I saw what he was doing.
I told him to stop immediately but it was too late. Inside door handle badly scratched, door frame badly damaged and now the drivers side door no longer lines up perfectly with the drivers side passenger door as it's ever so slightly bent from the chocks.

He did say though that this is the first time in 12 years of using this method that he hasn't been successful and blamed it on the door being too tight. Anyway, the recovery company have only just today agreed to pay for the damage ($1000 worth) and I need to book it into the Merc bodyshop this week.

Chappardababbar

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:29 am

Prime wrote:It sounds more difficult than it is, and I'm not sure I'm describing it clearly, but the mechanic demonstrated and was in my car in about 15 seconds. At least in your own garage, it might be worth it to keep a piece of the strapping handy just in case.

That's a cool tip. I will try/practice too! Thanks.

Postby 2phast on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Most alarms allow you to disable the autolock feature, at least the feature that re-arms (and locks) the car after 60 seconds if you don't get in and start the car. You should look into disabling that function.

2000 CLK32k & 1993 500E

Postby gerryvz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

It would be a great wikipedia page to detail "lockout" tips and tricks. Anyone care to create this from Glen's assistance? Thanks!

Cheers,
Gerry

Postby Chappardababbar on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 pm

I'll do it. Just working on a few others at the moment but I'll get round to it.

Chappardababbar

Postby arno on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:01 am

i just keep the flat key in my wallet. no worries.

a'

Glen
07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I just wanted to comment on Prime's cool tip:

Postby Prime on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I know it's too late for this instance, but when I bought my car with its auto-locking feature as part of the remote entry, the mechanic (who used to own a 500E) showed me a neat trick in case I ever got locked out. Upon seeing this thread I thought it might some day come in handy for someone else here. It's not perfect, because it requires a "tool" that you may or may not have access to, but here it is.

The tool is a piece of plastic strapping like is used to wrap packages for shipping - about 1/2" wide and usually black. Crease it in the middle (so the crease is across the 1/2" width - not the long and difficult way) and you can fish the folded "end" in between the window and the B-pillar (either front or rear door will work). Now you have the two loose ends outside of the car. Hold one end in place and push the other end forward. This will cause the loop inside the car to get larger while leaning to one side, which will allow you to slip it over the door lock pin. Once you're on, pull up and voila!

It sounds more difficult than it is, and I'm not sure I'm describing it clearly, but the mechanic demonstrated and was in my car in about 15 seconds. At least in your own garage, it might be worth it to keep a piece of the strapping handy just in case.

I tried this last night and it works and it's very easy to do in practice! This technique would work with any car that has door lock pins that taper out at the top.