PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the panel underneath the parcel shelf

Mejnoon
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Hello,

My name is Chris, I've been lurking here for a while. I bought a 93 500E last March after actively searching for ~6 months...I have been daily driving it ever since and I absolutely love it. This board has been an invaluable source of information for me both during the buying process and as an owner/diy'er...thank you to all who contribute, it is truly appreciated.

The car I bought is pretty clean, but there are still a number of items I want to address. First on the list is the hole in my parcel shelf...a previous owner cut through both the parcel shelf and the sheet metal underneath to mount a pair of subs. I've removed the subs, and the level of road noise that enters the cabin is now ridiculous...I needed to plug the hole asap, but I'd prefer not to do a patch job.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has removed/replaced this sheetmetal panel underneath the parcel shelf. I assume its a weld in panel, but I don't know exactly how far it extends, where the welds are, what needs to be removed to complete the job, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Heres a pic of what I'm dealing with, shot from inside the trunk:

JordiC
01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
This is precisely why I despise people hacking up metal in cars. The insulation is available as part #124 682 01 10. As for the metal I'm not quite sure if it comes attached, as a single piece, with the sheet that runs behind the seat back. Online lookup shows part #124 640 12 60 but it shows both pieces together. I suppose the parts could be found at a scrapyard but it will take someone with sheet metal skills to do the job right.
:sawzall:

Mejnoon
02-02-2013, 07:48 PM
This is precisely why I despise people hacking up metal in cars. The insulation is available as part #124 682 01 10. As for the metal I'm not quite sure if it comes attached, as a single piece, with the sheet that runs behind the seat back. Online lookup shows part #124 640 12 60 but it shows both pieces together. I suppose the parts could be found at a scrapyard but it will take someone with sheet metal skills to do the job right.
:sawzall:

After doing some more research and visiting a few body shops I'm re-evaluating my options...you're right, the panel I want to replace and the bulkhead are one piece, which means pulling the gas tank, etc. None of the body shops wanted to touch it. I know a hot rod builder/fabricator that could do it, but I'm not sure I want to go through all that trouble at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, those part numbers came in very handy. I agree about people hacking up good metal, especially for something like a sub...I'll never understand it :mad:

steve h
02-03-2013, 04:10 AM
I have the panel that you want in an accident damaged car..
It would take some cutting out but could be done. You can have the panel for $75 + what ever it would cost to cut it out ( I am currently not in the USA)
If it helps.......
Rgds Steve

linjam
11-13-2015, 10:26 PM
I have the panel that you want in an accident damaged car..
It would take some cutting out but could be done. You can have the panel for $75 + what ever it would cost to cut it out ( I am currently not in the USA)
If it helps.......
Rgds Steve

Steve, do you still have this panel?

James