PDA

View Full Version : Help fixing some surface rust

mistermiata
03-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I took off my front bumper to investigate some surface rust I found on the passenger front fender :pissed: Looking for opinions on the best way to handle it?

I bought some rust inhibitor, thought I would apply that, prime and then paint with touch up paint but want to do it right the first time....

03-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I would think you would need a spray paint can due to the area size, touch up brush is not practical for this.

alabbasi
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
You'll need to sand it down and spray in a rust inhibiting primer because the metal will be pitted and there will be rust in the pit of the metal which the sand paper will not get to. The fill , prime again, paint and clear. It's quite involved if you want to get it right. I'm suffering from similar issues with my 1997 E420.

mistermiata
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I think I may just have a body shop do it, body work was never something I did much of....

At least no rust found here....gonna gradually pull all the cladding to check for rust and clean...

mistermiata
03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I got an estimate for the rust repair today.....$547! Seems kinda high to me, what do you guys think?

Glen
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
If they are repairing the rust and repainting the whole fender, it looks about right but it's not clear to me from reading the estimate exactly what they are doing.

mistermiata
03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
If they are repairing the rust and repainting the whole fender, it looks about right but it's not clear to me from reading the estimate exactly what they are doing.

Thanks for your input Glen. Yes, they were planning to repair the rust and repaint the whole fender.

Do you think the 4.1 hrs of "body labor" is for removing and replacing the fender? Would they take off the fender to repair and paint it? Guess I should clarify that with them..hmmm...maybe I could do the fender removal myself and save that labor??