PDA

View Full Version : OWNER - Bryan Wells

Bryan Wells
08-13-2013, 01:23 PM
I am the proud new owner of a 1992 500E, original Canadian car, one owner with 65,000 kms (not miles) bought from an estate sale from the original owner close to my familys summer home on Vancouver Island. Feel quite lucky to have uncovered this gem :)

will post photos later today of this beauty

gerryvz
08-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Congrats on the new purchase !! Look forward to seeing a good West Coast (of Canada) car.

Vancouver Island is where I spent part of my honeymoon some 17 years ago (also in the San Juan Islands). Many fond boyhood memories of salmon fishing at Campbell River out in the strait between the island and the mainland. Smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods, to this day....

08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Congrats ! sounds really interesting...pics are a must !

08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Welcome here, sounds like a very sweet ride. Must be very rare car in your region..

sheward
08-13-2013, 04:36 PM
I would guess that was the ONLY 036 on the island. Congratulations! Must be very nice. Awaiting pics...

drew

Bryan Wells
08-16-2013, 01:28 AM
as promised... here are the pics

Roma_500E
08-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Looks really mint inside and outside of it . I like the color combo .

08-16-2013, 02:29 AM
WOW, Look at that engine compartment ! original intake hoses, airbox lettering, all that yellow preservation spray.

Good things come to those who wait ;)

08-16-2013, 02:30 AM
What a condition, what a combo! Congratz again.

08-16-2013, 04:11 AM
as promised... here are the pics

Finally....the suspense was killing us!

:beaut:

sheward
08-16-2013, 07:51 AM
WOW! Beautiful color combo and a great looking 500E. You're now a member of the "early steering wheel club". Cream interior looks fantastic.

drew

KarlC
08-16-2013, 08:12 AM
VERY nice congratz !!

gsxr
08-16-2013, 09:07 AM
That looks like an early '92 build, possibly with no Check Engine light (nor Diagnostic Module). Very nice!

:gor-gor:

amerh
08-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Awesome ride, congrats!

Glen
08-16-2013, 09:33 AM
That looks like an early '92 build, possibly with no Check Engine light (nor Diagnostic Module). Very nice!

:gor-gor:

Looks like the DM LED module is present at the CAN box to me.

Anyway, nice car!

gsxr
08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Good eye, Glen. The decal above the passenger headlight is the smaller black type, not the larger yellow, and I had thought the CEL/DM correlated to the decal. Maybe not, oooops! The steering wheel does indicate an earlier 92 build though.

:jelmerian:

gerryvz
08-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Looks like the DM LED module is present at the CAN box to me.Concur. Looks to me a CEL car.

sheward
08-16-2013, 12:59 PM
This is the first I've read about non cel cars. How would I know if my early build 92 is one or the other? Can someone elaborate? Is the dm module the small cylindrical port with cap next to the can box?

drew

Glen
08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Drew:
I'm attaching one of Rik's old pictures with the LED module highlighted.

gsxr
08-16-2013, 01:51 PM
This is the first I've read about non cel cars. How would I know if my early build 92 is one or the other? Can someone elaborate? Is the dm module the small cylindrical port with cap next to the can box?
If your instrument cluster has no Check Engine light on the far right below the tach, and it's the original cluster, there won't be a DM either. And no little box in front of the CAN.

:watchdrama:

sheward
08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks, guys. It appears I have the light and module on my car.

drew

gerryvz
08-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Norm (Cannoli's) car doesnt have the CEL in the dash or the LED pushbutton underhood. Perhaps he can post photos from his car for reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

gsxr
08-16-2013, 02:34 PM
My 1992 doesn't have CEL / DM / LED either. It was the 11th car imported to the USA (by VIN).

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2013/08/66.jpg

Bryan Wells
12-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Not quite a barn find

I have always liked Benz' especially the 500 E. Maybe it's the combination of Porsche and Mercedes. Maybe it's the handbuilt nature of the car. Or maybe, it was the fact that so few of them were ever made worldwide and even fewer imported into the US or Canada.

My parents have a summer place at North Saanich, Vancouver Island Canada. It is a fairly rural area with many retirees because of the mild winter weather. Anyway, a few kilometers from their house there is a very small car garage/repair shop and attached to it is an even smaller used car / consignment lot with perhaps 20 to 30 cars on it.

Earlier this summer while driving with my Dad to Victoria, I spotted the flared fenders of the 500E sitting on the lot. Recovering from my shock and making sure my dad hadn't gone through the windshield after slamming on the brakes we turned in to look at it. The car had arrived that morning and the manager said they had not even had time to clean it up or put a price on it yet.
The car was owned by an elderly woman who spent part of her time in Sydney British Columbia and part of her time in Palm Springs California. She had become the owner in 2006 as the beneficiary of the estate of the original owner.

Dad and I went over the car with a fine tooth comb. He's bought a lot of used cars in his life and knows what he's doing. The car had been serviced periodically at the garage where we were viewing the car. Most of the repair receipts had to do with the power steering pump replacement. The interior was immaculate. The engine compartment looked brand-new. The body had a few small scratches on it which could be buffed out. The mileage was 40,300 original miles (65,293 km). Dad reminded me that very low mileage older cars have different types of servicing issues. The car was originally purchased in 1992 from Lone Star motors in Calgary.

The manager of the used car lot said that they had not even put a price on the car yet but if we came back in the afternoon he will have talked to the owner and established a price. That afternoon we got a phone call saying the lady wanted $13,499 Can for the car.

To say that I was excited was putting it mildly. A car that I've always lusted after turns up in the most unlikely of places. Luckily for us it was the Friday afternoon of the long weekend in August and the car lot was closed for the next three days, it gave us time to talk and do some research. John (Dad) said that I was too excited to negotiate. A good salesman would read body language and voice intonation as enthusiasm and that would put me in the weaker negotiating position. We both decided on a price and agreed that Dad would make the offer.

It was a very long weekend for me to say the least. He was correct when he said that I couldn't negotiate properly if I wanted it so badly. Sadly, he came back from the car lot with some bad news. The lot manager said that at 9 am that morning (Dad was there at 10) he had received a phone call from the lady. She said that she talked to the executor of the estate and the executor said that she was selling the car to cheaply so the new price was now $15,499 Can. Dad commented on the change of price and got the manager talking about the lady/car and found out that the car had been sitting in her garage for over five years and that she was leaving for California in the next couple of weeks. To say I was disappointed was putting it mildly. But, we came up with a buying plan.

She is a fairly wealthy lady and we decided that she had come to the conclusion that she just wanted to get rid of the car, seven years after her companion had died. We would also use the strategy that we were going back to Edmonton in a few days. In addition, the car was on consignment and the manager would like nothing better than a quick turn.

Dad made an offer, $11,500 Can. If the lady did not want to take the offer ( he told the manager) that was fine , but , the offer only is good for two days because he was leaving for Edmonton.

We got a phone call that afternoon saying the offer was accepted.

gerryvz
12-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Congrats !! Wow !

Maui
12-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Congratulations! What a steal! It looks like one I was looking at in Vancouver, but turned out to be a Japanese import.

Glen
12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Definitely a good deal, congratulations!
How do you like driving it?