PDA

View Full Version : OWNER - Maui

Maui
09-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I purchased the car through this forum. The car passed Oregon smog test with flying colors and she is now registered to me.

I bought this car sight unseen other than pictures on this forum (admin edit: click here (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?4185-FS-1993-500E-Black-Black-123kmi-13-500-(Beverly-Hills-CA))), pics and video from the seller and local inspection of the car.

My first impressions are that the condition matches the seller's descriptions and conversation we had about the car. The car looks very good for a 20 year old car with 123,000 miles. I have to admit I have never owned a car with that many miles. The car was owned by the seller's father and based on the condition and all the paperwork that came with the car pride of ownership abounds. Tons of paperwork including all the original books, manuals, bill of sale, multiple 500E articles, maintenance records, maintenance notations in the maintenance booklet, printed ads from when the car was originally sought out and a few letters between the owner and the MBUSA club. The car also has a blue ribbon from MBUSA from a concourse event in 2011. I don't put much in the ribbon, but nice none the less.

The car is far from perfect with dirt and grime and few paint imperfections. I found nothing that I was not expecting and overall the car is in better condition than I expected.

Everything works on the car. I've tested all the knobs, buttons, etc and everything works as it should. The motor purrs quietly and the car shifts very nicely. I have been surprised at how quickly and effortlessly the car speeds up. It is so quiet and smooth that I don't even realize how fast I'm going. I've got to watch that. The oil pressure appears to be right where it should be at idle, accelerating and driving. The driving temp is perfect. No idiot lights. It is missing the tool it and first aid kit. Not that I need them, but I want them.

I purchased this model because it is unique and I wanted something I would not be afraid to drive. I have a 2003 SL500 with 37,000 miles on it. I have been reluctant to pile miles on the SL, so the 500E will provide my Merc fix without aging my SL. One thing I love about this model is that most people don't even know what it is. Unless you are an aficionado you just think it's a '90's Merc. I absolutely love my SL, but people think it's a $100,000 car (which was close when new), but now it is what I consider an affordable, fun to drive car.

I will make this site a daily place to learn and converse with more experienced owners than me.

My first question is about the adjustable steering wheel. I see that it extends and retracts, but does it tilt? I've noticed that I can't see the top of the gauges while driving. I have to duck a to see the top of the speedo under the top of the steering wheel.

Upgrades since ownership:

Installed AMG wheels and Conti DWS tires (Sept. '13)
Installed Euro headlights with Osram bulbs (Sept. '13)
Installed late model LCA's (Oct '13)
Oil Change (Oct '13)
Transmission fluid change (Oct '13)
Trans cooler line (Oct. '13)
Rearend fluid change (Oct '13)
Replaced all fuses (Nov. '13)
Replaced factory first aid and tool kit (Nov. 13)
Replaced front seat cushions and driver's back cushion (Dec. '13)
Installed '92 LH Module (Nov. '13)
Replaced upper engine harness (Jan. '14)
Oil and filter change Motul 5-40w (Jan. '14)
Installed Silver Arrow brake kit (Feb. '14)
Installed new window switches and mirror switch (Feb. 14)
Four wheel alignment at the Mercedes dealer (Feb. 14)
Replaced distributor caps and rotors (Mar. '14)
Detailed at MB (April '14)
Oil and filter change Motul 5-40w (July '16) Mileage 72,241

09-20-2013, 01:24 PM
My first question is about the adjustable steering wheel. I see that it extends and retracts, but does it tilt? I've noticed that I can't see the top of the gauges while driving. I have to crutch a little to see the top of the speedo under the top of the steering wheel.

It does not tilt. See this thread and scroll down:

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?1036-what-do-you-most-dislike-about-your-124-036&highlight=Dislikes

:welcome4:

gsxr
09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
My first question is about the adjustable steering wheel. I see that it extends and retracts, but does it tilt? I've noticed that I can't see the top of the gauges while driving. I have to crutch a little to see the top of the speedo under the top of the steering wheel.
Congrats! Car sounds very nice. Sorry, no tilt function. Visibility of the top of the speedo is a known issue - not much can be done about it. Tilt didn't show up on the E-class until the W210 chassis.

:watermelon:

Maui
09-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Germans must have been shorter in 1993.

szvook
09-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Germans must have been shorter in 1993.

Maui
09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
As I was going through all the paperwork today I came across a list of apparent upgrades with dates that the PO had completed. I noticed First gear start on the list. While driving around I am noting three distinct gear changes. The first gear change occurs at about 10-12 mph. I have no experience with these cars, so I don't know when I should notice gear changes. Definitely feel three gear changes.

gsxr
09-20-2013, 07:35 PM
As I was going through all the paperwork today I came across a list of apparent upgrades with dates that the PO had completed. I noticed First gear start on the list. While driving around I am noting three distinct gear changes. The first gear change occurs at about 10-12 mph. I have no experience with these cars, so I don't know when I should notice gear changes. Definitely feel three gear changes.
Yep, sounds like you have FGS of some sort. Stock trannies start in 2nd and you'd only feel two upshifts at light throttle.

:star:

bing
09-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Congratulations!! Is this the first time you've driven a 500E ? Surprisingly quick ,ha? Especially between 60 - 120mph, and quite raw by Merc standards in that era and todays (aside from AMG variants)

:respekt:

KarlC
09-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Maui, no need to apologize, we all enjoy good car stories.

Here is one that you may enjoy if you have not seen it yet ...... http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?990-My-first-test-drive-ever-in-a-500E

Maui
09-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Maui, no need to apologize, we all enjoy good car stories.

Here is one that you may enjoy if you have not seen it yet ...... http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?990-My-first-test-drive-ever-in-a-500E

That is a great story, thanks for directing me to it.

Maui
09-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Congratulations!! Is this the first time you've driven a 500E ? Surprisingly quick ,ha? Especially between 60 - 120mph, and quite raw by Merc standards in that era and todays (aside from AMG variants)

:respekt:

I haven't pushed it yet. Pretty much babying it until I feel comfortable romping on it. My first impressions were that my 2003 SL500 was quicker and felt more torque. The SL feels a little more raw than the 500E and more like a slingshot than the E. The E feels more like a gentleman's car.

bing
09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
I haven't pushed it yet.

Then you need to! Full WOT of the mark (in a straight line if you're not comfy) and you'll soon realise and appreciate it even more.

Maui
09-22-2013, 05:11 PM

The more I drive the car the more I understand the affection its owner's have and appreciate even more. It is a really nice cruiser, quiet and likes to get up and go. I'm looking for reasons to drive it. Generally when my wife needs something like a carton of milk or whatever I have to admit I am not the first to volunteer. Now I jump at the opportunity just to drive it a few blocks. I love this car! I never drive my SL in the rain but this one I'm right out the door then when I return I spend the next 10 minutes drying if off and admiring the beautiful looks and stance. I don't want to leave my shop!

Maui
10-05-2013, 12:45 PM
New shoes for my 500E. AMG II's with new Continental Extreme Contact DWS 18's. 275/35/18 rear and 245/40/18 front. I love the look and the tires are extremely quiet. The way this car should have come from the factory. Thanks to 2phast for sourcing the wheels. Sorry for the crapy photo quality. I almost hate to admit it, but I think this car is more fun to drive than my SL......

ClassicCarsAllDay
10-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Looking good! I am interested in how the Conti's hold up.

Maui
10-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Looking good! I am interested in how the Conti's hold up.

Not a daily driver, but I'll certainly post any issues I have them.

2phast
10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Damn sexing looking ;-)

szvook
10-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I almost hate to admit it, but I think this car is more fun to drive than my SL......
Yep, that's pretty much the impact these "flared bricks" have, once you get behind the wheel of one for longer than a test drive and it doesn't take long before all you want to do is drive the damn thing. I still remember when I drove my newly purchased 500E to my service mechanic and him telling me "Once you drive these cars, you will not want to drive anything else".

Have you taken it up to 80mph and floored it?

Disclaimer - I'm not advocating speeding...just saying.

Maui
10-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Yep, that's pretty much the impact these "flared bricks" have, once you get behind the wheel of one for longer than a test drive and it doesn't take long before all you want to do is drive the damn thing. I still remember when I drove my newly purchased 500E to my service mechanic and him telling me "Once you drive these cars, you will not want to drive anything else".

Have you taken it up to 80mph and floored it?

Disclaimer - I'm not advocating speeding...just saying.

I am addicted. Have not hit 80 yet but pretty close. These new tires are really, really nice. There's pretty good stretch of I-205 where they used a large aggregate in asphalt and it is usually noisier than hell. I could hardly hear it the new Conti's. I feel like a kid again...I just want to drive this car! I can see why there are so many with high mileage. It's addictive. The local MB club is doing a winery tour next weekend and I can't wait just to take it on a nice cruise in country.

gerryvz
10-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Have not hit 80 yet but pretty close. Wait until you hit 135-140 on the freeway...I was forced to do this back in May in Alabama, following Jono driving his Hammerwagen that was loaded with four big dudes.

Maui
10-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Wait until you hit 135-140 on the freeway...I was forced to do this back in May in Alabama, following Jono driving his Hammerwagen that was loaded with four big dudes.

You go straight to jail for that here in Orygone. I do a lot of work in The Dalles so I cruise I-84 about once a week. There are a few spots out in the Columbia gorge where you can see for miles. Good place to open it up, but I have yet to drive the 500E out there. I have this problem, it's called a company vehicle.

gerryvz
10-05-2013, 08:13 PM
When I first installed my nitrous system, I used to take it for late-night high-speed test runs on Highway 14, on the Washington side of the river. Too much chance of getting busted on the Oregon side of the river, and there was an "automatic jail + impound vehicle" rule in Oregon for getting caught going 100 MPH or above. Washington didn't have that rule, at least at that time.

I used to firmly attach my fuel pressure gauge to the windshield to test reserve fuel pressure, to see whether I had enough to up the NOS shot from a 100HP shot to a 125HP shot. While I did have the reserve pressure to do this (not all 500Es do), and I purchased the nozzle, I never updated the system. I did install a bit of rice-bling to the NOS system for PIR race nights ... a lighted purge valve.

You should have seen how the chicks would flock when you'd fart a nice big pink cloud of nitrous-oxide above the E500's windshield while in the PIR staging lanes. Best bling....ever !!

yrsRrWRmIBM

gsxr
10-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I hope to be testing that 125 shot thingy in the near future...

:nos:

Maui
10-05-2013, 08:23 PM
And I thought it was just rumor that chicks dig pink farts. If one hangs out here long enough you will definitely learn what chicks dig.

I took my C6 out with local group of vette owners on a cruise out to Maryhill Winery a few years back. We crossed over to the Washington side at the Bridge of the Gods. Once we got up just passed Dallesport (across the river The Dalles) we were all cruising about 110 mph in a nice line. It was a beautiful thing to see about ten vettes all cruising the twisties breaking the century mark.

gerryvz
10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Yep, my country house is about 20 minutes drive from Bridge of the Gods. Man, I *HATED* crossing that bridge on my motorcycle, what with the metal grate roadway and all. Used to be 50 cents, then I think they started charging 75 cents. How much is it now?

Used to do the brunch all the time at Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA, yummy! If you haven't checked it out, stop by the Walking Man Brewery (https://www.google.com/#q=walking+man+brewery&lrd=lrd) in Stevenson to quaff a few pints. Tiny but stellar brewery !!

Speaking of lines of cars, here's a day drive we did back in 2003 or so with the Portland 126 coupes group.... on a lonely February day up on Mt. St. Helens..... These high speed runs were over 100MPH on the bridge, as well.

The red coupe is Barry Corno, whose car was the cover car in an issue of the MBCA Star earlier this year. I was bringing up the rear in all of the fly-bys.... communicated with the camera crew with walkie-talkies.

crtk6nQNSVA

gerryvz
10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I hope to be testing that 125 shot thingy in the near future...

:nos:Wet or dry? If dry, make sure ya got enough fuel pressure !!

Maui
10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Nice and I bet the chicks dig the 007 music.

I don't know how many are still left in the Portland area.

$1 to cross the bridge now. The bridge I hate is the bridge at Hood River. It's about 20' wide and has a constant row of semi's. Scared the sheet out of me every time I've crossed it.

My wife and I do the Skamania brunch a couple times a year and my company has had our christmas party there a couple times. The co bought rooms for everybody both times. Nice place but over priced.

Roma_500E
10-05-2013, 09:45 PM
New shoes for my 500E. AMG II's with new Continental Extreme Contact DWS 18's. 275/35/18 rear and 245/40/18 front. I love the look and the tires are extremely quiet. The way this car should have come from the factory. Thanks to 2phast for sourcing the wheels. Sorry for the crapy photo quality. I almost hate to admit it, but I think this car is more fun to drive than my SL......

Even more fun that SL55 , trust me on that :pirate:

I have to admit these are the best wheels . The rear ones are super cool , they have to be 10'' wide which is very cool.

How much did you pay for them ?

10-06-2013, 06:38 AM
If one hangs out here long enough you will definitely learn what chicks dig.

I think if you read through all of Gerry's posts you could learn exactly what chicks dig.

:stickpoke:

gsxr
10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Wet or dry? If dry, make sure ya got enough fuel pressure !!
Dry. I've got the external gauge setup to verify, plus I intend to also have a wideband AFR gauge as well. The goal is to hit 150. I'll likely end up installing Walbro pump(s).

:apl:

gerryvz
10-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Is this a surplus Bergwerks or workalike system?

Maui
10-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Nice little Mercedes event today cruising around Oregon wine country.

Maui
10-17-2013, 09:03 AM
This car continues to impress me. I had a meeting at the Oregon coast yesterday and decided to drive the 500E instead of my company car. The E was a joy and way more comfortable than the Chevy Colorado pickup truck. 200 mile round trip used about a half a tank of gas.

Maui
11-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Now that the shifting is back to normal I just can't say how much I enjoy driving this car.

Planning to start my SA brake upgrade in December. I was wondering where I could find the torque specs and maybe a little DIY info?

Maui
11-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm sure you're all sick of hearing it, but I just can't help saying again and again how much I love this car. I've owned at least 50 cars in my life and this one ranks right at the top if not the top. Every time I look at it I'm impressed with the styling. It is a work of automotive art. Not a rocket ship, but never feels under powered. I'm also amazed that a car with 124,000 miles does not leak a drop of oil, trannie fluid, etc. My garage floor is completely spotless under the car. I think I got a good deal and a keeper.

gerryvz
11-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm sure you're all sick of hearing it, but I just can't help saying again and again how much I love this car. I've owned at least 50 cars in my life and this one ranks right at the top if not the top. Every time I look at it I'm impressed with the styling. It is a work of automotive art. Not a rocket ship, but never feels under powered. I'm also amazed that a car with 124,000 miles does not leak a drop of oil, trannie fluid, etc. My garage floor is completely spotless under the car. I think I got a good deal and a keeper.Love hearing that. Sounds like you got a real keeper/sweetheart of an example.

Maui
12-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Had the local indi (MBI Motors Inc.) install the new LCA's, replace the drag link and full alignment today. They installed the LCA's for $285, which to me was a great deal and saved me from having to buy a spring compressor and do the work on jack stands. Front end feels real tight and goes straight down the road. It was pretty decent to begin with but feels really good now. Branden, the shop guy, told me a I had a special car, which is always nice to hear. They even gave me a free 300E loaner while they did the work and they had a $50 off coupon on their website. I think they've lived up to Gerry's recommendation.

To top off the evening my wife bought tickets to the Blazer/Pacers game. Portland ended the Pacers twelve game winning streak. RIP CITY!

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every time I drive this car and it just keeps getting better.

Next on the list will be to find a good upholstery shop to replace the front seat cushions. The leather is damn near perfect but I can tell 124,000 miles have flattened the cushions a little. Gerry, any suggestions in Portland? I don't want some flunky to screw up the nice leather. Need to find a shop that will allow me to provide the real MB cushions.

Roma_500E
12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Had the local indi (MBI Motors Inc.) install the new LCA's, replace the drag link and full alignment today. They installed the LCA's for $285, which to me was a great deal and saved me from having to buy a spring compressor and do the work on jack stands. Front end feels real tight and goes straight down the road. It was pretty decent to begin with but feels really good now. Branden, the shop guy, told me a I had a special car, which is always nice to hear. They even gave me a free 300E loaner while they did the work and they had a $50 off coupon on their website. I think they've lived up to Gerry's recommendation.

To top off the evening my wife bought tickets to the Blazer/Pacers game. Portland ended the Pacers twelve game winning streak. RIP CITY!

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every time I drive this car and it just keeps getting better.

Next on the list will be to find a good upholstery shop to replace the front seat cushions. The leather is damn near perfect but I can tell 124,000 miles have flattened the cushions a little. Gerry, any suggestions in Portland? I don't want some flunky to screw up the nice leather. Need to find a shop that will allow me to provide the real MB cushions.

Good news, after I replaced the whole front suspension I really feel the difference . It goes so tight now , so I know what you re talking . I would replace upper strut mounts too....

For the upholstery there was thread somewhere and couple of members got leather from them. I called them as well and they offer decent price and couple of options for re-upholstery.

gerryvz
12-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Brandon started there about a year before I moved to Houston. He's pretty good, I think he used to work at Rasmussen. He came in as Sig was starting to wind down, and has been taking over more and more from Sig and Rich Helzer.

For your seat work, hands down I'd talk to Guy's Interior Restorations. It's up on NE Alberta (used to be near Powell's downtown, years ago) and Guy Recordon is the owner. I used to know Guy pretty well, but haven't spoken to him in years -- he and I hosted a technical session on 6.3/6.9 interiors at his shop when I hosted the M-100 Meet in Portland back in 2001.

Guy's Interior Restorations
2016 NE Alberta St.
Portland, OR 97211
(503) 224-8657

He will take care of you. Not cheap, but the work will be stellar and he stands behind it.

I had a new soft top and new GAHH front seat covers put on my 560SL by another shop, just a short drive from MBI, called Bright Auto Upholstery.
MBI recommends both them and Guy's.

Bright did a good job on my SL work, I was happy, and it was reasonably priced. However, IIRC I had some sort of a beef with them at the conclusion of the job (I forget what it was not) and got very pissed off at them. Not the quality of their work, I think it was that they took like 2 weeks longer to do the job than they said they would. So I swore I'd never go back. And I ended up moving like 18 months later, so never needed to go back. But they are also an option.

Bright Auto Upholstery
1611 SE 6th Ave.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 231-6055
www.brightautoupholstery.com

Hope these recommendations help. I've been gone from Portland so long now, that I'm starting to get rusty on things..... or out of touch with the "Scene". LOL !

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't need leather just seat cushions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

gerryvz
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Go visit both and see what you think.

Maui
12-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Stopped at guy's today. Very unasuming from the street. They were working on some really nice stuff. He remembered you. Quoted me $250 to recushion the front sests if I supply the factory parts. I'll check out bright later this week.

gerryvz
12-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Nice! If you go back tell him I said hello and that I'm in Houston. That's one thing I really miss about Portland -- I knew the MB scene there pretty well, all the shop owners, all the top notch Benz collectors and aficionados, etc.

PDX was a small enough town that you could do that. There's no way you can do that in Houston.... at 6.5 million in the metro area (as compared to 2.2 in the PDX-Vancouver metro area) it's just too large/dense/diverse....

Maui
12-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Stopped at Bright Upholstery today and Mike Weiler quoted me $200 more than Guy. Mike knew what a 500E was.

I have the parts ordered, so I think I'll go to Guy. I could use the $200 for some other stuff or maybe get some lions monogrammed on the seats. :agree:

szvook
12-05-2013, 04:54 PM
or maybe get some lions monogrammed on the seats. :agree:
Ooh, get this one...

gerryvz
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
I would have recommended you go with Guy anyway. You'll get some very good work done.

While up on Alberta, watch out for stray gunshots and don't get car-jacked. That's the old 'hood up there. By Houston standards, it would be concealed-carry territory. Although Alberta has gotten quite a bit better in the past 15 years. A bit further north on Killingsworth is where you REALLY have to watch your a$$. A lot of the thugs have been pushed eastward, out to Gresham.

Maui
12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah, not a part of town I frequent very often, but I will take the Khar.

Maui
12-05-2013, 10:37 PM
What can you guys tell me about the 300TE 4matic wagons? I've seen a few for sale that look tempting. There's a two owner charcoal with beige interior for sale locally. What would a 91 with leather interior be worth?

KarlC
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
What can you guys tell me about the 300TE 4matic wagons? I've seen a few for sale that look tempting. There's a two owner charcoal with beige interior for sale locally. What would a 91 with leather interior be worth?

Here's a nice wagon .....

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/4159533082.html

gerryvz
12-06-2013, 04:20 AM

In short ... The 4-matic systems on the 124s are troublesome. Far better to buy a 1993-1995 wagon with the M104 & ASR. Repairing a 4MATIC transfer case is thou$and$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jimbo
12-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Buy a different AWD drive wagon...I agree with Gerry, the early 90s 4-matics are not very good systems; not robust or reliable for very long. Do you need an AWD car where you live?

That's a really nice looking W123 in the link Karl !!

gsxr
12-06-2013, 09:04 AM
IIRC, the original 4Matic transfer cases were problematic. The factory rebuilts are supposed to be much better. I'd only consider one if there's a documented factory replacement. Even then, you're still stuck with the M103 motor, which I'm not crazy about. A late 124 with ASR is a good alternative. If you must have Mercedes AWD, I'd look for newer model. The later 4Matics are much better, AFAIK.

:seesaw:

Maui
12-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm not looking for an AWD wagon, just looking for a nice W124 wagon. Seems like all I see for sale are 4matic's.

Prefer black or red color.

gsxr
12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
If you want a wagon, get a 94-95 E320 wagon, preferably with ASR (which was optional on this model). There seem to be quite a few black ones around, you'll have to search a while to find a red one.

gerryvz
12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm not looking for an AWD wagon, just looking for a nice W124 wagon. Seems like all I see for sale are 4matic's.

Prefer black or red color.There's a white California/Oregon/Texas one, with ASR and cold-weather package, with the top end & engine compartment being rebuilt in the Houston area right now !!

Maui
12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I think I've heard of that one. Black or Red and cheap. I'm looking for a project.

gsxr
12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
There's a white California/Oregon/Texas one, with ASR and cold-weather package, with the top end & engine compartment being rebuilt in the Houston area right now !!
Yes, but I believe the current owner is reluctant to let go of her prized wagon, and if she ever did, I think someone else (coughgsxrcough) already called "dibs".

:D :D

gsxr
12-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I think I've heard of that one. Black or Red and cheap. I'm looking for a project.
There was a nice Imperial Red wagon in SoCal a few months ago, pretty cheap too IIRC ($<$3k?). Keep looking, you'll find one eventually.

:detective:

gerryvz
12-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I've got a good buddy in Lake Oswego whose wife has had a white 1991 4MATIC wagon for many many years. The transfer case has given then nothing but problems. MBI could tell you some serious tales about that car. My friend Mark used to tell me the stories (this was back 10-12 years ago) and coupled with other stuff I heard, I wouldn't go near one, ever.

The transfer case seals are a poor design and it's a major ordeal to remove and fix properly. I also don't think they get as good of mileage as regular 2WD 124 wagons. Seriously, the M104 in the 1993-1995 W124 wagon is going to give you 40 more ponies and more torque than the M103 models (sorry 400Eric), and the ASR system will also hold you in good stead while not killing your mileage, or pocketbook with its mechanical complexity.

The 4MATIC system as implemented on the W210 chassis was a totally different design and is relatively trouble-free in comparison to the W124. A late ASR wagon is the way to go. Especially a white one, with black leather with ASR and the MB factory cold weather package. With Rainbow speakers in the dashboard. :agree:

Maui
12-06-2013, 11:35 AM
See, this is why I asked the question here. Just call me "grasshopper".

:bnb:

Maui
12-07-2013, 06:39 PM
For what it's worth I attended a local MB club event today at Beaverton Mercedes. The event was set up to allow members to see and drive the new CLA. The car drove nicely and did not have the normal torque steer feel of a front wheel drive car. It is quite obvious that this is not a high dollar car but it was nice none the less. The seats are vinyl but nice fitting. The instruments are nicely laid out and had the familiar MB look and feel. The car I drove was the CLA250 with nav, rear camera and few other upgrades with a price tag of about $42,000. The nav or command center was operated with a joystick on the center console. Visibility could be better in my opinion. It was not a fast car by any standard but plenty of power for an everyday commuter. If I was in the market I would consider it, but I'd probably wait a couple years for the bugs to work out. I understand that MB is giving the dealers $1000 for each car for customer care in case of dissatisfaction. I'm not sure what that tells you. The inventory specialist took each us out for the test drives, so there was no sales pressure or even a hint of "if I could would you". They also provided hors d'oeuvres and wine for the club members. It was nice to see some the folks I've friended through the club. Not sure if Gerry knows Nils Jensen? My wife and I had a great time with Nils and his wife last summer in Victoria. I understand, but have not seen, that Nils has a nice 190SL. Always fun to hang out with other MB enthusiasts. I'm sorry to see Allen Stephens steeping down as local president. In my short time in the club I'd say he was done a great job.

The club members that know me and know what an E500E is were disappointed that I drove the SL instead of the 500E. I'd say the 500E is a hit with the locals.

gerryvz
12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I never really did anything, ever, with the MB club in Portland, though I joined MBCA back in 1998. Back in the late 90s and throughout the early-mid 2000s, it was an older crowd that I didn't know well. My friends were the younger guys like Allen, who stepped in to run things just after I left Portland.

I recently stepped down myself as MBCA Houston section president -- it's a big job, and unfortunately with my work/travel schedule, and family commitments, and a lack of a strong board, it was a big challenge for me. I never ran for the position - it was handed to me, and I took it only very reluctantly. Sounds like the Portland club has a great and active board of directors, which is cool to see. We just elected a new board here in Houston a couple of weekends ago, comprised mainly of past presidents and board members, and I think they have a dedicated group of folks again to get things back into good shape and ramped up.

I don't know Nils ... know the name, but not the man. Allen .. he's good people. I actually sold him my 450SEL 6.9 back in about 2003 or so.

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
12-08-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't know Nils ... know the name, but not the man. Allen .. he's good people. I actually sold him my 450SEL 6.9 back in about 2003 or so.

Cheers,
Gerry

Allen told me that years back he had purchased a 500E without telling his wife and kept it hidden in a friends shop for several months until someone accidentally said something to him about it in front of his wife.

gerryvz
12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
I didn't know that he purchased his car unbeknownst to his wife. He was probably hiding it while he was trying to sell his 450SEL 6.9 (which I sold him). It is, by far, better to ask forgiveness than it is permission, though.

Maui
12-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I've purchased most of my toys unbeknownst to my wife. She's a keeper and has never complained about it. She knows that's just the way it is. We will celebrate 30 years of marriage next July and probably 40 cars, most of which were unbeknownst. I provide her with a comfortable lifestyle and she puts up with my toys.

Maui
12-12-2013, 11:57 AM
New seat cushions arrive yesterday from Classic.

gsxr
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Yup, that's them! Please let us know how the upgrade turns out.

FYI, the small plastic clips which attach the leather covers to the pads are nowhere to be found in the EPC. It appears the original clips (whatever the part numbers may have been) are NLA, but there is a replacement clip which is functionally equivalent. The original clips are quite tough and usually don't break. If you end up needing any, the part number is 140-988-37-78. I was able to fully disassemble the seats without breaking any of them.

:)

gerryvz
12-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Not a bad price, either. Much more expensive on the 126....

Maui
12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Yup, that's them! Please let us know how the upgrade turns out.

FYI, the small plastic clips which attach the leather covers to the pads are nowhere to be found in the EPC. It appears the original clips (whatever the part numbers may have been) are NLA, but there is a replacement clip which is functionally equivalent. The original clips are quite tough and usually don't break. If you end up needing any, the part number is 140-988-37-78. I was able to fully disassemble the seats without breaking any of them.

:)

I'm hoping Guy can work out those details when he installs them for me. I will encourage him to try and salvage the clips.

Maui
12-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Nice day for washing the car today. I am convinced that the W124 E500E is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. The car just has that look. It's a work of art that drives.

Sorry these pics did not come out better.

Roma_500E
12-28-2013, 06:45 PM
I am convinced that the W124 E500E is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. The car just has that look. It's a work of art that drives.
You are absolutely right. This is exactly what I think when when I spend time with my 036. I always say it is a not a car but piece of art that drives. Seems like all 036 people are so addicted to E500E.

P.S. I think you should add wipers to make it complete. Also looks like you need to renew your grille inserts that I have for sale here :cheers1:

Maui
12-29-2013, 09:51 PM
New seat cushions arrive yesterday from Classic.

Taking the car in tomorrow to get these bad boys installed. I have to leave the car for a couple days. Not sure how I will live without it an I have to take public transportation home from a very sketchy part of town. I'm hoping my CCW doesn't come in handy.

gerryvz
12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Taking the car in tomorrow to get these bad boys installed. I have to leave the car for a couple days. Not sure how I will live without it an I have to take public transportation home from a very sketchy part of town. I'm hoping my CCW doesn't come in handy.Wow, they actually let people carry concealed in Portland now? Back in the day, Chief Kroeker (ex LAPD chief) didn't allow CCW permits. You had to go to the MultCo Sheriff, and even he was not inclined to issue them unless you had a good reason to.

Texas is very different, LOL. They pretty much LIKE you to carry concealed here ;) (with a permit of course). In fact, open carry is illegal in the Republic of Texas. I remember about the time we moved from Portland, there were open-carry fanatics carrying on the MAX, and getting busted into jail on false charges for it (it was 100% legal to do so). Idiot cops who didn't know their own state law.

I'd just bag a big ol' yellow Broadway Cab and save yourself the hassle. 503-227-1234. Still remember the phone number, LOL ! Before you bail, you should head on over to Por Que No? on N. Mississippi St. (http://www.porquenotacos.com/) for some grubbin' Mexican food.

Maui
12-29-2013, 11:36 PM
I live in Clackamas County and have an Oregon CCW, so Portland and Multnomah County can kiss my arse. I rarely ever carry, but there are times when it is best to do so.

Broadway has a new number 503-333-3333.

Maui
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Guy informed me that I can pick up the car today at 4 PM. Can't wait to see what a new driver's seat feels like. One more ride on the public transportation gauntlet to pick it up.

gerryvz
12-31-2013, 03:36 PM
:neeed:

szvook
12-31-2013, 04:50 PM
I am convinced that the W124 E500E is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. The car just has that look. It's a work of art that drives.
Sooo, now when you gaze upon your SL, what is your rating on its visual appeal?

Btw, the 036 design is timeless. The first time I first saw a picture of the 036, I literally said "Holy crap" out loud while at work and with a bunch of people staring back at me afterwards with question mark faces...that was a good day.

Maui
12-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Sooo, now when you gaze upon your SL, what is your rating on its visual appeal?

Btw, the 036 design is timeless. The first time I first saw a picture of the 036, I literally said "Holy crap" out loud while at work and with a bunch of people staring back at me afterwards with question mark faces...that was a good day.

Of course I think the R230 is the most beautiful SL ever made. The SL looks like a sports car and you know there is no hiding that fact.

The 500E is like, WTF, is it a sedan or race car? People hardly even notice the 500E but they look at the SL like you're a billionaire. I would liken the 500E to be a redneck's mercedes (no offense intended).

gerryvz
12-31-2013, 06:17 PM
I like to think the 500E continued the tradition of the "Banker's Hotrod" that MB started with the 300SEL 6.3 and continued with the 450SEL 6.9.

gerryvz
12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Looks great! Are you happy with the work Guy did?

Maui
12-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Here is a shot from the iphone. Seats feel much better. The driver's seat felt like I was sitting on a hide a bed.

Maui
12-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Looks great! Are you happy with the work Guy did?

I deleted the first pic post because it was twisted. Guy did a great job and was right on budget. Guy was very complimentary of the leather condition. He said the leather was in excellent condition.

Maui
12-31-2013, 06:51 PM
I like to think the 500E continued the tradition of the "Banker's Hotrod" that MB started with the 300SEL 6.3 and continued with the 450SEL 6.9.

Better description.

szvook
12-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Of course I think the R230 is the most beautiful SL ever made. The SL looks like a sports car and you know there is no hiding that fact.

The 500E is like, WTF, is it a sedan or race car? People hardly even notice the 500E but they look at the SL like you're a billionaire. I would liken the 500E to be a redneck's mercedes (no offense intended).
Ok, just for shits and giggles "I am convinced that the W124 E500E is one of the most beautiful cars", that puts the 036 in the category of all cars, so my initial question was targeting the visual aspects between both cars, regardless of their identity.

The SL does make a $ statement...but the 036 makes the :omg: :wow: statement. In my neck of the woods, I see just about any car money can buy over and over and over...but when I see an 036 on the road, I start to drool and I even own one the bloody things.

Maui
12-31-2013, 07:20 PM
My cars are like my kids. I would never compare them. :hugs:

In my opinion the R230 is the best looking SL ever made especially in a red wrapper and mushroom interior.:hearts: There is something about cruising down the highway with the top down.

I have seen two 036 cars in person other then mine. A silver one was for sale in Vancouver and I test drove it. The car was okay, but definitely not in as good condition as mine. The other was a 199 car at one of the local MB events. I look for them all the time, but with only three that I know of in the area they are not a common sight. I agree that it has that OMG appeal, at least to me.

szvook
12-31-2013, 07:22 PM
In the tradition, very much so. In the design, the 036 has a lot more brute and sex appeal...a great mix for a car.

szvook
12-31-2013, 07:24 PM
My cars are like my kids. I would never compare them.
Fair enough.

Roma_500E
01-01-2014, 12:47 AM
the 036 has a lot more brute and sex appeal...a great mix for a car.

Very true and chick approved.

P.S.To Gerry,
It was approved by my friends young and hot wife. In fact, when she looked at the 500E and the way I pulled in a parking lot she said : "car looks sort of arrogant and brutal, the way it rolls by, the way front end and flared fenders made, and added: "overall is intimidating appearance". However, that young lady hates old cars and recognizes only 2011 and newer, so that was independent opinion from person who is not addicted to 036.

126v8
01-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Roma you LOVE the 500E like no one else,well Svook comes close LOL.Happy new year.

Maui
01-01-2014, 03:11 PM
It is a beautiful day today in the Pacific Moist West, so I decided to bath the children. They just love being together. :hearts:
Ten years apart and almost 100,000 miles.
Happy New Year to all.

01-01-2014, 07:43 PM
The 500E looks nice!

:124:

Maui
01-09-2014, 07:02 PM
My new upper engine harness arrived today (first photo). Ordered on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. $361 delivered.

Adding a few pics of the decayed harness and documenting install on January, 12, 2014.

Stevester 500E
01-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I wish I knew I could get one for $361. I bought a good condition bio-degradable type.

bing
01-10-2014, 08:40 AM
My new upper engine harness arrived today. Ordered on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. $361 delivered.

That's a steal ! Where from ?:?

Maui
01-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Classic or parts.com. pretty much same price.

gsxr
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I wish I knew I could get one for $361. I bought a good condition bio-degradable type.
The price just dropped Jan-1. It had been much higher last year.

Maui
01-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Went out last night to enjoy cigars with a few close friends. A cigar get together is known as a "herf" and includes cigars, drinks and great conversation.

Driving home last night around 11:30 pm, I swear the 500E felt quicker and more responsive than ever and it seems like I'm getting better gas mileage. I think it's the combination of swapping in the '92 LH module and the new upper harness. The car felt considerably quicker last night (for the record, I drank water the whole night due to current diet).

KarlC
01-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Went out last night to enjoy cigars with a few close friends. A cigar get together is known as a "herf" and includes cigars, drinks and great conversation.

Driving home last night around 11:30 pm, I swear the 500E felt quicker and more responsive than ever and it seems like I'm getting better gas mileage. I think it's the combination of swapping in the '92 LH module and the new upper harness. The car felt considerably quicker last night (for the record, I drank water the whole night due to current diet).

I'm sure your repairs and diet are helping but youd be surprised at how much the cool night air helps also

gerryvz
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm sure your repairs and diet are helping but youd be surprised at how much the cool night air helps alsoHope GSXR doesn't see your statement about cool night air helping increase power levels ... :applause:

KarlC
01-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Hope GSXR doesn't see your statement about cool night air helping increase power levels ... :applause:

Maybe Dave's butt dyno is reading wrong as it gets older and more warn out ?

gsxr
01-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Maybe Dave's butt dyno is reading wrong as it gets older and more warn out ?
A most intriguing theory!

:scratchchin:

gerryvz
01-19-2014, 01:25 PM
A most intriguing theory!

:scratchchin:A theory that could also perhaps help explain the performance of 400Eric's "Benzer" family..... :stickpoke:

Maui
02-06-2014, 04:35 PM
We are getting our first snow storm of the season in Portland today. Last week we were enjoying mid 50's and this week we are below freezing. Roads are a mess today and everyone is leaving work early. I'm glad I was in the 4x4 today.

Yesterday I took the SL into MBI and had them change the ABC fluid and filter as preventative maintenance. Glad it was yesterday and not today. I can't imagine having the SL out today.

Maui
02-22-2014, 04:46 PM
The Silver Arrow brakes are now installed. I don't notice much difference from the stock brakes, but the slotted rotors and Brembo label sure look nice.

I've noticed some oil or power steering fluid around the PS pump. It looks like I know what my next project will be.

Roma_500E
02-22-2014, 05:27 PM
The Silver Arrow brakes are now installed. I don't notice much difference from the stock brakes, but the slotted rotors and Brembo label sure look nice.

I've noticed some oil or power steering fluid around the PS pump. It looks like I know what my next project will be.

Very common problem on these cars, some screws on tandem pump are nightmare. Gerry's write up was very helpful to me.

gerryvz
02-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Take some brake cleaner and spray it around the area to clean it off. Then drive the car and see if you can determine where the fluid is coming from. Check the level in your PS reservoir. Hopefully it's just your short hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsxr
02-22-2014, 07:07 PM
The big difference is at high speeds. Try to stop quick from 100mph (or more) with the original brakes and you'll likely have a serious pucker moment. The Silver Arrows are actually functional at 100mph+, and will also allow repeated hard stops without fading. Ask Vookster about that. He loves 'em, even at Willow Springs. Remember to let the new pads+rotors fully break in / bed properly before you get on the brakes hard! A few hundred miles of city driving will be adequate, then you can stomp on them. In the meantime, avoid hard stops.

Hopefully it's just your short hose.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That almost sounded vaguely insulting! I'll assume you were referring to Ken's short power steering hose.

:stickpoke: :wormhole:

gsxr
02-22-2014, 07:09 PM
There are 5 common leak points on the power steering system. In order of probability:

Short hose between reservoir & pump - VERY common
"S" shaped hose between engine and frame rail
Tandem pump front seal (NOTE: This leaks SLS fluid, not PS fluid!)
Low pressure hose along frame rail, behind heat shield
Steering box, at output shaft above Pitman arm

It is often difficult to pinpoint the source. You'll need to clean everything up first, and then tuck paper towel "diapers" in appropriate areas to determine what is, or is not, leaking. Item #1 is the most common and makes the biggest mess because it's the highest on the engine, piddling all over the AC compressor, etc. Item #2 is next most common. Both are relatively straightforward to replace, not easy, but definitely DIY-able.

The front seal on the tandem pump can leak, but when it does leak, it leaks SLS fluid. If you are losing PS fluid, and not SLS, the pump is probably fine. This can often be confirmed by removing the belt and removing the pulley, so you can see the front of the pump. If it's dry, that's great, you can look elsewhere. If the pump is leaking, see if it is ZF or Vickers. If it's ZF, remove & rebuild it following Gerry's awesome DIY on the forum. If it's Vickers, I'd consider getting a rebuilt and turning yours in as a core.

Item #4 is less common, thankfully, as it's a PITA to replace that bugger. The steering box is easy to rule out, just look and see if it's dry or wet. For #5, I've got a DIY thread on the forum for the Pitman shaft seal replacement on the steering box. #5 is a messy job, it will puke fluid on your head when you take it apart... not fun.

With any luck it will be item #1, which is 2-4 hours DIY. I just replaced that exact hose this morning on my wife's E420, it was leaking like a sieve! Click here (http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/M119/M119_power_steering_hose_TSB.pdf) for the TSB which shows how to do it... remove reservoir and then remove the threaded nipple.

:banana1:

Maui
02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Hopefully it's just your short hose.

Hey now, that's what she said.

Maui
02-22-2014, 08:07 PM
If it's the small hose it looks like I'll need the hose, the gasket under the reservoir and an O ring. Is that correct or am I missing something?

mistermiata
02-22-2014, 08:42 PM

Maui....did you upgrade to steel braided brake lines? Did you do the rear brake upgrade as well?

Maui
02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Maui....did you upgrade to steel braided brake lines? Did you do the rear brake upgrade as well?

Yes I did the rears and steel braided hoses all the way around.

gerryvz
02-22-2014, 08:51 PM
You have to order the hose by the meter; you can get it from AutohausAZ.com, or if you want it sooner just get a length from Mercedes/Wilsonville, as they will stock hose like this. I'd consider doing as I did (and I took DW SD's advice) and putting 4 hose clamps on the hose/nipple instead of the customary MB two clamps.

Yes, you will need the aluminum sealing ring (crush washer), paper seal for under the reservoir, and the length of hose. To remove the reservoir you will need female Torx (aka reverse Torx) sockets to get the four bolts. A 10mm Allen socket will make short work of the threaded nipple that fits inside of the short hose. My DIY really shows it all. I also posted as part of the DIY, the replacement of the steering box (pitman arm) output shaft seal, if that does need replacing. As Dave said, a simple visual inspection for any weeping will tell you everything you need to know. Mine was BARELY wet (not leaking droplets) but since I was pretty much "in there" I decided to just bite the bullet and do it.

The "S" power steering hose is a significant PITA, and has to be done from underneath the car, but as Dave said it is DIY-able. You have to get that pre-molded hose from MB. Furthermore to do that hose you have to buy a length (again by the meter) of the aluminum hose heat shielding from MB (it's cheap) and the cut the length, and mold it around the hose. And you have to make a couple of rectangular cut-outs at the ends of the heat shielding so that you can accommodate the ring clamp at each end of the "S" hose. Best thing is to just pattern it off of the factory hose/shielding that you remove.

I hope that it is not your tandem pump. As I said, take a look in your PS reservoir to see if your fluid level is going down. That's how I determined what my problem was; I probably didn't have to reseal the tandem pump but again decided to do it for proactive maintenance. The only hose I was too much of a wuss to do was the straight hose under the heat shield, along the frame rail. IMHO replacing that hose could well be one of the toughest jobs on an E500. I'd rather remove the cylinder heads and do a full top-end rebuild than replace that hose. I tried and poked around at doing it (I have the hose new) but didn't see any obvious ways to do it, despite GAS-XR and samiam44 saying it's totally possible.

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
02-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Please excuse all my questions, but I understand there are two possible pump manufacturers. Is the small hose the same size regardless.

I was hoping to do this tomorrow, but seeing how I need the gasket and the sealing ring I guess I'm going to have to order the parts.

I sprayed everything down pretty good with brake cleaner.

gerryvz
02-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Small hose is the same for both pump manufacturers.

I cut my new length of hose (after measuring the old one with digital calipers) about 7 mm longer than the old one to give a bit more length for the clamps to bite into. Can't hurt.

Maui
02-22-2014, 10:34 PM
I did not see the hose diameter in the the thread.

gerryvz
02-22-2014, 10:54 PM
I did not see the hose diameter in the the thread.That's because I looked it up on the EPC and ordered it via parts.com.

You can also get it (along with the gasket and alu washer) via AutohausAZ.com: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=q0m5qy55cmumci45at5p1efn&partnumber=0069970982

From Dave's site:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/02/123.jpg

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/02/124.jpg

Maui
02-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks. I ordered everything from Autohausaz except for the hose. I can't remember the name of the place, but there is hose place over by Bright Upholstery that has every type of hose you can imagine. I can buy it by the foot there.

I've got to get used to all the metric stuff.

Just remembered, Portland Valve and Fitting.

Maui
02-23-2014, 10:34 AM
I've been posting all my upgrades and maintenance on the first post in my owner's thread as well as keeping all receipts with notes in a folder. I'm also posting everything on my Fuelly page.

Maui
02-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I noticed the dealership was running a $129 special at on four wheel alignments, so I decided to take advantage. Since changing the brakes it felt heavy up front.

The car raised quite a stir and had just about all of the mechanics standing around admiring the car for a while. The service writer told me they had not seen a 500E as nice in years and he described the car as immaculate. It's not "immaculate" to me, but they enjoyed having it in the shop. They did a very nice job of washing and vacuuming it too.

Maui
03-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Replaced the distributor caps and rotors today. The ones I took out appeared to be in pretty good condition definitely worth holding on to. No signs of moisture or crud just a light greying of the of the rotor contact. The weather is too crappy to go for a test drive considering the car was just washed. Idled in the garage just fine.

Roma_500E
03-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Replaced the distributor caps and rotors today. The ones I took out appeared to be in pretty good condition definitely worth holding on to. No signs of moisture or crud just a light greying of the of the rotor contact. The weather is too crappy to go for a test drive considering the car was just washed. Idled in the garage just fine.

If I were you I would never keep them. These things (rotors and caps) may look totally nice but in fact they do not work right or efficiently. I had mine absolutely nice and clean but one day car started to miss. I spent quite a bit of time to find an issue. Thanx people on this board who insisted to replace caps and rotors.

Maui
03-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advice Roma. I'm a pack rat when it comes to parts. I find it hard to toss anything even if the parts are worn out. :oldster:

My car was running fine I just got a wild hair and decided why not change them out. Call it preventative maintenance.

Roma_500E
03-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the advice Roma. I'm a pack rat when it comes to parts. I find it hard to toss anything even if the parts are worn out. :oldster:

Well, considering the price for parts we pay , yeah we must keep the old ones, lol . Usually, I tear old parts in small pieces when removing them, pretty much all the time so I had no chance to keep anything yet :D

I ve just recently checked price for E500 W211 valve cover gaskets and was pissed off , it is $30 compare to $90 that we pay for 036 :x Sounds like old MBZ, 036 in particular is much more expensive than the 5+ years old MBZ. However, M113 valve cover gaskets fail at appx. 100 000 (became wet) while M119 gaskets are HD and fail much later .

My car was running fine I just got a wild hair and decided why not change them out. Call it preventative maintenance.

That was a right move, I figured out that rotors and caps on our cars is like an oil change and should be done pretty often :nobmw:

Maui
03-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks. I ordered everything from Autohausaz except for the hose. I can't remember the name of the place, but there is hose place over by Bright Upholstery that has every type of hose you can imagine. I can buy it by the foot there.

I've got to get used to all the metric stuff.

Just remembered, Portland Valve and Fitting.

Following up on my power steering leak. I cleaned the pump with Gerry's miracle juice about four weeks ago and reinstalled the reservoir lid. I removed the lower engine cover and placed a clean piece of cardboard under the pump in the garage. I've driven the car at least ten times and so far the cardboard is clean and so is the pump. I'm thinking it must have been the reservoir lid wasn't tight or something. I'll hang on to the parts I purchased for now.

M104-AMG
03-28-2014, 08:17 AM
<snip> I'm thinking it must have been the reservoir lid wasn't tight or something. <snip>

Since you're doing PM, get a replacement PS lid gasket. Under $10 even from the stealer.

:-) neil</snip></snip>

Maui
03-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Have I mentioned lately how much I enjoy driving the 500E? Attended a Griot's event this morning and drove the E. These cars are just such a pleasure to drive. Great acceleration and so smooth. I dread pulling into the driveway because I know the drive is over.

:v8:

Maui
04-14-2014, 03:23 PM
I took my 1993 to the dealer this morning because they were offering a special deal on clay bar and detailing. They did not want to give me a ride home so they gave me a 2014 E300 to drive for the day. Nice car but no where near the fun of the 500E.

:v8:

Johnnybenz500e
04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
That looks like a c class

szvook
04-14-2014, 04:19 PM
I took my 1993 to the dealer this morning because they were offering a special deal on clay bar and detailing.
You are a braver man than I...I could not leave my 036 in the hands of the dealer period, even when I "need" to go to the dealer for parts, I never leave my key with anyone. The last time I was at the dealer, I went off on a tech for leaning against my car and told him that if I ever see him leaning on my car again, he's going to eat through a straw for the next month.

Maui
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
That looks like a c class

About positive it was an E. I could be wrong they look the same to me.

Maui
04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Here is a picture of the car when I picked it up today.

Maui
04-15-2014, 08:56 PM
As anyone that met me at the GTG knows I purchased another 500E. It is a 1992 that was originally a 199 car that was repainted 040 by the original owner right after purchase. Here is an old for sale thread about the car. http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?3237-FS-1992-500E-Black-Black-69kmi-22-900-(Indianapolis-IN)&highlight=wDBEA36EXNB727308

I purchased the car in Georgia and had it shipped to LA for the GTG. The paint is pretty nice, IMHO, especially for a 22 year old repaint. The car is still in LA awaiting shipping to Oregon. In the mean time Matt Stockwell is storing the car and doing a few maintenance things for me while we wait for pickup. Thanks to captruff for introducing me to Matt. The black car has 70k miles and drives very nicely as Gerry can attest. I was very happy to get the Gerry seal of approval.

First mods have already been purchased. Euro headlights and two piece AMG wheels purchased from captruff. I can't wait to get the car home with the new mods. You can see pics in the for sale thread posted above. I will post new pics after the headlights and wheels are installed. Thanks go out to Drew for taking time to look at the car for me in Georgia.

I was considering keeping both cars, but after many discussions with another member here I have agreed to sell the car to him. The cool thing is that the 1993 will go home to its hometown and will likely be seen by the same mechanic that maintained the car for the PO for many years. The new owner contacted the mechanic who had great memories of the car and confirmed what I already knew, that the car had been well cared for and cherished by the PO, as I know the new owner will continue. I really struggled with selling the car because it has been such a joy to own and made a real 500E fanatic out of me. I will no doubt shed a tear when it is loaded on the truck, but the new car will take its place. Time to say goodbye to the 1993 and welcome the 1992 to the garage. :hugs:

So, yes it has a color change but it was done to a very high level. I really wanted a low mile black car and this fits the bill. I know some will criticize the car for being a color change and I will never call it a true 040 car, but I am very happy with my decision to purchase the car. :yahoo:

gerryvz
04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
The paint on your 1992 was done to such a high standard that it would be nearly impossible to tell that it was not a factory paint job. Only two giveaways - the 040 lower cladding (not normal from the factory) and the lack of factory orange peel (which some people buff out anyway). This car wears the best 22 year old paint I've ever seen on an 036. The car drives unbelievably good.

Congratulations on a well purchased car. Your mods will really make it shine and it really should need nothing.

Maui
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks Gerry. There are a couple pics of the car on the first page of my owner thread which show the paint quality.

sheward
04-15-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm very glad you're happy with the purchase, Ken. It's a beautiful car. I wanted to buy it myself. +1 on the paint. It will look even better with the Euro lights and wheels. Congratulations!

drew

baviking1
04-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks Gerry. There are a couple pics of the car on the first page of my owner thread which show the paint quality.

Beautiful car. Cars like this make me keep my eyes on the prize....:hearts:

KarlC
04-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Man these cars look good in 040 !!!

Maui
04-22-2014, 10:16 PM
First picture of my new 500E with two piece wheels and euro lights.

Roma_500E
04-23-2014, 03:07 AM
My God ! It is stunning car ! :drool5::drool5::drool5:

texas993
04-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Congrats Maui! I missed it last week.

I think ink that we need to create an official Gerry Seal of Approval sticker. Instant .5 hp and $5 increase in value!

Hi-Power
04-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Looks awesome Ken, keep the pictures coming for us to enjoy!

baviking1
04-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Bitchin car....... :-)

savmjv
04-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Good looking car! Although it's not factory, I really do like the painted lower cladding on these cars.

Will be watching the signature line to see how he notes the color change!

That reminds me, I need to edit mine to show the "RIP" status of my 500....(insert tearful face)

gsxr
04-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Your garage is awesome. :deniro: I could use a second lift in mine too... oh, and the car looks hot!!

:drool5:

oaklandw124
04-23-2014, 08:10 AM

Wheels and lights totally transform the car. Looks fantastic, Ken!

KarlC
04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Looks great Ken love the 040 color and you just made it come alive !

What other plans so you have for it ?

Maui
04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Your garage is awesome. :deniro: I could use a second lift in mine too... oh, and the car looks hot!!

Not my garage. Matt's shop in LA.

Maui
04-23-2014, 09:06 AM

First on the agenda is to get the car home. It's still sitting in LA awaiting pick up. I had Matt rebuild the PS pump, install the headlights and wheel/tire combo while it was sitting there.

Maui
04-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Congrats Maui! I missed it last week.

I think ink that we need to create an official Gerry Seal of Approval sticker. Instant .5 hp and $5 increase in value!

And since Gerry likes it we know the chicks will dig it.

garnachavino
04-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Nice car. Maybe I'm the minority by saying that I found the chromed oem wheels nice too.

Roma_500E
04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Very few people like OE chromed but personally I do like them. Chromed OE wheels reminds me califonia back that time in 90-s.

DerFuror
04-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Nice car. Maybe I'm the minority by saying that I found the chromed oem wheels nice too.

Very few people like OE chromed but personally I do like them. Chromed OE wheels reminds me califonia back that time in 90-s.

Yeah, baby! Shine on.

Maui
04-23-2014, 06:55 PM
The car is finally about to leave LA for the final voyage to Oregon. Supposed to be picked up this evening, so it might actually be home by the weekend.

Maui
04-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Yeah, baby! Shine on.

They're not horrible wheels but they take some the edge off the car and I like the edge.

Maui
04-23-2014, 07:47 PM

I have several parts on order from MBCC. Front seat cushions, euro orange front blinkers, and rear mud flaps.

gerryvz
04-23-2014, 09:16 PM
rear mud flaps.:scratchchin: Seriously?

KarlC
04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
rear mud flaps.

Photos of parts and how they look installed please

Maui
04-23-2014, 09:55 PM
:scratchchin: Seriously?

What else do you call the plastic pieces behind the rear wheels?

gerryvz
04-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Ok, I thought you were slipping in a Honcho-patented Chain Yank there.

You mean the "paddles" that snap into the rear bumper edge behind the rear wheels. Spendy little boogers, so make sure they give you an audible "click" when you install them, so that they don't fall off again. You may need to take a small flat-blade screwdriver and clean out the slot in the bumper that they fit into.

KarlC
04-23-2014, 10:06 PM
You mean the "paddles" that snap into the rear bumper edge behind the rear wheels. Spendy little boogers, so make sure they give you an audible "click" when you install them, so that they don't fall off again. You may need to take a small flat-blade screwdriver and clean out the slot in the bumper that they fit into.

Those are not mud flaps, I wanted to see him install the mud flaps.

Maui Google search W124 Mud Flaps and you will see

baviking1
04-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Its been said those are 500 specific, but I pulled a pair from an e420 and they snapped right in. Saved me a ton of $$$ (I don't think the yard even charged me)......

Maui
04-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the paddles? I want to make sure I'm getting the paddles and not the traditional mud flaps.

I believe the part numbers are 124 885 15 23 (driver's / left) side and 124 885 16 23 (passenger / right) side.

J-Sauce
04-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Yes, you ordered the correct bumper/fender liners. Although I did kinda want to see your car with mud flaps.

My car was missing those panels and when I installed them they did not seem sturdy. I stuck a small strip of double sided tape on the leading edge of the panel that slid into the bumper on the back side (the side facing away from the tire) and its been in there solidly for 3-4 years now.

Glen
04-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Very nice, Ken! Glad you found another M104 model. [emoji3]

sheward
04-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Nice looking wagon. How many miles on the clock?

drew

gsxr
04-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Oooo. Canyon Brown Metallic (aka Rosewood). Rare color! Congrats on the score...

olec
04-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Very nice model, very nice color too, same color as my 1994 E500. Happy for you!

TerryA
04-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Ken,

Congrats, that looks like a beautiful example. Is the interior black or brown?

gerryvz
04-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Ken,

Your MB W124 disease seems to be metastasizing at a rapid pace.....

A good strategy to slow that down would be V/C126 acquisition....

Congratulations!

:wahoo:

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
04-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Ken,

Congrats, that looks like a beautiful example. Is the interior black or brown?

Ken,

Your MB W124 disease seems to be metastasizing at a rapid pace.....

A good strategy to slow that down would be V/C126 acquisition....

Congratulations!

:wahoo:

Cheers,
Gerry

Yes I have an addiction. I haven't decided yet if I am going to swap in my black interior. The black wagon will be sold though to make room and I will continue my quest for THE wagon. I am also constantly watching the ads for a 560SEC. :nobmw:

Klink
04-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Yes I have an addiction. I haven't decided yet if I am going to swap in my black interior. The black wagon will be sold though to make room and I will continue my quest for THE wagon. I am also constantly watching the ads for a 560SEC. :nobmw:

Black leather in that wagon would be unspeakably good...

gsxr
04-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Plus eleventybillion: ^^^

126v8
04-05-2015, 06:06 PM

What the man said

Glen
09-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Congrats Ken!