PDA

View Full Version : FS: '85 500SEC Koenig Widebody; (Stone Mountain, GA) (eBay)

01-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Please...somebody buy this thing

:o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-500-Series-base-coupe-2-door-1985-500-sec-koenig-widebody-mercedes-/181306312413?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a36b2c6dd&item=181306312413&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_1420wt_1014

Maui
01-20-2014, 07:05 PM
If I was Batman I'd consider it. There's a reason they didn't make many of those

Hollybrook
01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
The seller and I have quite different criteria for "pampered"

Roma_500E
01-20-2014, 09:37 PM
I love Koenig wide body kit for C126, C140 and C124. I would buy it but unfortunately I do not have time to restore it in the next following years.
However, R129 looks ugly with Koenig body kit.

Ron500E
01-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Jono, oh Jono.... he needs that one.
The custom cars of the period, AMG, Koenig, Gembella, Rinspeed and a few others are indicative of the times and were responsible in many ways for changing M-B's image from a staid and respectable tourer to a more youth oriented item. Compare the top of the line Adenauer of the 50s with a top of the line Hammer or 126 Wide Body of the 80's to see the market they wanted to tap into. There's a reason why MB bought AMG (and an equal number of reasons, why they didn't with Gembella or Koenig, et al).
By the same token, that's also the reason why they contracted with the English company Cosworth for the 16V 201 WAA and WAB engines. As far as the connection with Porsche... Porsche was not doing very well in the late 80's early 90's. Outside of a few special cars like the 959 or Speedster (which money was lost on each sale I understand) sales were down and they needed the extra work. The 911 and it's derivatives were getting old and a new product was sorely needed. The 036, and Audi RS along with sunglasses, etc. brought in much needed capital and more importantly time to develop and market a sorely needed new product.
I heard (meaning I'm not sure if there's any truth to the story) that the MB assembly line was not "wide enough" to accommodate the 036 so they subcontracted with Porsche to use their facilities for assembly.
People who try to make the connection with Porsche (apparently to impress cocktail waitresses on a Saturday night) for the 036 are doing a disservice to MB as they were both healthier and more technologically advanced than Porsche was at the time.
There's a book, as I recall, titled something like "Custom Mercedes" which dealt with most, if not all, of the tuners back then, and there were many. Most of whom never had their products anywhere near the USA. Companies who needed to sell one car in order to finance the building of the next, but that's the business. Lots of dreams and ideas but no money to realize those dreams and ideas.
Kind Regards,

Ron

036/199
01-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Over here is one for sale as well:

http://www.nettiauto.com/mercedes-benz/sec/5951121

Seems to be in a bit better condition with similar mileage.

Although I am not a fan of the Koenig body kits,might have a look at it as it is fairly local to me..

500AMM
01-21-2014, 01:36 AM
Jono, oh Jono.... he needs that one.
The custom cars of the period, AMG, Koenig, Gembella, Rinspeed and a few others are indicative of the times and were responsible in many ways for changing M-B's image from a staid and respectable tourer to a more youth oriented item. Compare the top of the line Adenauer of the 50s with a top of the line Hammer or 126 Wide Body of the 80's to see the market they wanted to tap into. There's a reason why MB bought AMG (and an equal number of reasons, why they didn't with Gembella or Koenig, et al).
By the same token, that's also the reason why they contracted with the English company Cosworth for the 16V 201 WAA and WAB engines. As far as the connection with Porsche... Porsche was not doing very well in the late 80's early 90's. Outside of a few special cars like the 959 or Speedster (which money was lost on each sale I understand) sales were down and they needed the extra work. The 911 and it's derivatives were getting old and a new product was sorely needed. The 036, and Audi RS along with sunglasses, etc. brought in much needed capital and more importantly time to develop and market a sorely needed new product.
I heard (meaning I'm not sure if there's any truth to the story) that the MB assembly line was not "wide enough" to accommodate the 036 so they subcontracted with Porsche to use their facilities for assembly.
People who try to make the connection with Porsche (apparently to impress cocktail waitresses on a Saturday night) for the 036 are doing a disservice to MB as they were both healthier and more technologically advanced than Porsche was at the time.
There's a book, as I recall, titled something like "Custom Mercedes" which dealt with most, if not all, of the tuners back then, and there were many. Most of whom never had their products anywhere near the USA. Companies who needed to sell one car in order to finance the building of the next, but that's the business. Lots of dreams and ideas but no money to realize those dreams and ideas.
Kind Regards,

Ron
Well spoken, Ron! You have probably rewieved this link; http://www.1000sel.com/ :-)

About this particular 500SEC König, it has under 90.000 miles and in the times it cost a fortune to make it what it is, so I wonder how it's possible to treat it that bad. :|

What's the history behind that Albert(o) air filter duct?

-a-

modzona
01-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Well spoken, Ron! You have probably rewieved this link; http://www.1000sel.com/ :-)

About this particular 500SEC König, it has under 90.000 miles and in the times it cost a fortune to make it what it is, so I wonder how it's possible to treat it that bad. :|

What's the history behind that Albert(o) air filter duct?

-a-
He says that it at some point had a supercharger on it. But doesn't atm. But the brackets and pulleys are still there. My guess the air filter duct comes form that setup.

Ron500E
01-21-2014, 04:29 AM
It also seems like every single "over the top" styling point was incorporated into one car without regard to the aesthetics of the finished product or design.. a Pagoda it aint....
Gullwing doors. Check.
Testarossa side vents. Check.
Gold Trim. Check.
Fake Knock-Off Wheels (Knock-Off Knock-Offs ???) Check.
EVERY piece of entertainment electronics known to man. Check.
EVERY office device known to man. Check.
Armor Plated Cigar Humidor. Check.
Accessories from Dunhill and Davidoff. Check.
Compartment for a brace of Purdy's. Check.
300 mph Speedometer. Check.
Brolly from Swaine Adeney. Check.
Tea Cozy from Fortnum & Mason. Check.
Sort of like the guy who buys a genuine Ferrari wallet, to impress everyone while he pulls out money for the bus.....

Someone got a copy of the UK's Royal Warrant list and kitted the cars with every possible item, surprised the damn car moved under it's own power the way some of them were fitted. Of course us Americans didn't miss the boat either, we had a Mark Cross edition of a Lincoln Continental back in the day. Great luggage, lousy car interior.

Depending on "who had the money" in the world is where "taste" was dictated. Any group, or people, that comes into fast money fast feels the need to show his lessors that he has made it, lest he be, gasp, mistaken for them. This is why KSA cars are so gaudy, why some Russians wear the Rolex "Dictator" watch to go through the Starbucks drive up window and why many of my fellow Guido's have so many gold accessories they would look like a mobile Fort Knox if any of it were real. No group is immune to this mindset and us Americans certainly have done our part in far too many ways.
Jilly Cooper's book, "Class, A View from Middle England" says it well in a funny yet accurate observation.
This is also why everyone and their chambermaid has heard of Lifshitz, the former tie salesman at Brooks Bros. but few have heard of Kilgour French, Huntsman or Poole.
"You just must see our new house, we have Lifshitz everywhere" somehow doesn't quite sound right. Good career move that Ralph Lauren didn't use his birth name.

Kind Regards,

Ron

Jackasic
01-21-2014, 07:42 AM
i won't lie, i kind of want one.

gerryvz
01-21-2014, 07:51 AM
I'd go for an armor-plated cigar humidor, myself. I bet Maui would be all over that, too.

As for the book "Custom Mercedes" -- yes there are individual chapters that cover most of the major (and not so major) 1980s tuners.

It was a period of excess, particularly so when the cars are looked at in retrospect. Though with the current generation of "high HP" cars, one could say that we're still in a period of excess .. it's just another type of excess that has manifested itself in torque and HP ratings/performance modifications that nobody will ever use (today), instead of useless styling, visual and aerodynamic modifications that nobody will ever use (1980s).

I mean, who actually USES 600+ HP on the street, on a daily or near-daily basis? My 238-HP US-spec 560SEC actually works quite well for everyday use, and if I need to go 100+ MPH on the Texas byways, the capability is certainly there.

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
01-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Besides being butt ugly I'd be embarrassed driving something that is supposed look fast but get's its doors blown off by a Subaru on daily basis.

jhodg5ck
01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
@ Gerry, come up and ride around with me for a day in the E55 wagon...you'll be surprised how often 500+ HP comes in handy! I'm looking forward to a solid 6 @ the crank. I think that's a Good number...especially since there are 400+HP Hyundai's running around now!!

BTW, stone mountain is around the corner from here....I'm not interested in this car, I think this dude is on crack especially since the super charger is missing, but hey, that's just me!!!

Jono

600Eric
01-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Ron,

Your "over the top" checklist is absolutely hilarious (especially because it is absolutely spot on). I could not keep myself from laughing out loud when I read it.

Thanks

Eric

jano
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
It's missing hydraulics, or those silly over-sized wheels which bend outward that seems to be popular for some retarded reason.

KarlC
01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
....I'm not interested in this car, I think this dude is on crack especially since the super charger is missing, but hey, that's just me!!!

Jono

Yes but did you see that its 2 great cars and that ...

- The Koenig car also comes with .... brand new rear tires that cost 700.00 per tire
- The 1985 parts car .... is RUNING

2phast
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM

Ron

The assembly line issue is a new one I have not heard before.

It is a disservice to Porsche to say their part in this creation wasn't pivotal. According to DBAG they didn't have a "witch kitchen" where low volume, high performance models could be engineered and built, and since their existing staff and facilities were busy on larger projects, they farmed out the most of the 500e's engineering, chassis design and tuning. All the new parts for the car were designed by Porsche. Porsche also carried out much of the testing. DBAG also contracted with Porsche to "build" the 500e. Furthermore DBAG couldn't justify the cost of a highly intensive effort in their big Sindelfingen facility, they assigned the special assembly work to Porsche as well.

gsxr
01-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Yes but did you see that its 2 great cars and that ...

- The Koenig car also comes with .... brand new rear tires that cost 700.00 per tire
- The 1985 parts car .... is RUNING
He didn't specify seven hundred whats. Pesos? Poker chips? IOU's?

:stickpoke:

jano
01-21-2014, 03:34 PM
According to DBAG they didn't have a "witch kitchen" where low volume,

What is DBAG? Searching shows picks of d-bags or locomotive-related assembly lines. I'm guessing it is a german company ( , AG)

gerryvz
01-21-2014, 03:57 PM
The assembly line issue is a new one I have not heard before.

It is a disservice to Porsche to say their part in this creation wasn't pivotal. According to DBAG they didn't have a "witch kitchen" where low volume, high performance models could be engineered and built, and since their existing staff and facilities were busy on larger projects, they farmed out the most of the 500e's engineering, chassis design and tuning. All the new parts for the car were designed by Porsche. Porsche also carried out much of the testing. DBAG also contracted with Porsche to "build" the 500e. Furthermore DBAG couldn't justify the cost of a highly intensive effort in their big Sindelfingen facility, they assigned the special assembly work to Porsche as well.+1. The 500E effort was different enough from normal W124 production (including 124.034 production for you 400E squids out there) that it would have required a separate line just for that model. MB couldn't justify that extreme expense.

The last time MB did a separate production line for a model (excepting the Maybach in recent years) was for the Grand 600, the series production of which ran from 1963 through 1981. The last few years of the Grand 600, the production volumes were extremely low, but the production area/line was maintained. Most of the later cars went to Middle East countries. Due to crash and safety regulations, the 1972 model year was the last year that the Grand 600 was able to be imported into the US market.

DBAG: three meanings

Daimler-Benz AG
Deutsche Bahn AG (German Federal Railroad system)
McClare's (of Banzworld 126 forum fame ... the guy whose wheel flew off his 126 coupe and almost killed a pregnant woman in an oncoming car) "other" nickname for me besides "pussy". DBAG = douchebag in this context relating to me.

Cheers,
Gerry

vatc5637
01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
I believe that's short for Daimler Benz AG (AG being the German equivalent of Inc.)

2phast
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
What is DBAG? Searching shows picks of d-bags or locomotive-related assembly lines. I'm guessing it is a german company ( , AG)

Like already mentioned, Damiler Benz AG. It's an internal acronym used by Damiler Benz, not sure what they use now.

2phast
01-21-2014, 05:45 PM
McClare's (of Banzworld 126 forum fame ... the guy whose wheel flew off his 126 coupe and almost killed a pregnant woman in an oncoming car) "other" nickname for me besides "pussy". DBAG = douchebag in this context relating to me.

Wow, that guy used those two phrases referencing you? That's sad on so many levels.

gerryvz
01-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Like already mentioned, Damiler Benz AG. It's an internal acronym used by Damiler Benz, not sure what they use now.When they got rid of Chrysler, they changed the company's name from DaimlerChrysler AG" to just "Daimler AG"

Before the Chrysler "merger," the name of the company was "Daimler-Benz AG" - DBAG.

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz
01-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Wow, that guy used those two phrases referencing you? That's sad on so many levels.http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1727441-1990-sel-15-000-miles-7.html#post6212177

I don't have the time or energy to dredge up the McClare "gerryvz is a douche" post but it's out there on Banzworld 126 forum somewhere.

txbrit
01-21-2014, 08:08 PM

I had not seen or heard of that site until now, but then again I haven't been particularly looking for a website about errr "tasteful optical tuning"... but I did just waste a couple hours looking, certainly a comprehensive site - fascinating and thanks for sharing...

Is it wrong that I did like the Boschert B300 Gullwing ?

http://1000sel.com/index.php/boschert-b300

Although the doors are a too much like the Delorean - not a bad thing - I like how they put the R129 front end on - certainly a lot nicer than the C126 conversions.

2phast
01-21-2014, 10:16 PM
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1727441-1990-sel-15-000-miles-7.html#post6212177

I don't have the time or energy to dredge up the McClare "gerryvz is a douche" post but it's out there on Banzworld 126 forum somewhere.

Fuck, that thread was painful to read. I did find the "pussy" reference but no "douche". All that diatribe is hard to digest. I admire Ron's ability to talk circles around those guys.

gerryvz
01-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Fuck, that thread was painful to read. I did find the "pussy" reference but no "douche". All that diatribe is hard to digest. I admire Ron's ability to talk circles around those guys.I don't mean in any way to diminish Ron's sophisticated sense of humour and intelligence, but honestly, in my experience/estimation the lot of them set a pretty low bar. I know Bondavi has been friends with most all of them for many years, and knows them personally, so I bet he would vehemently disagree. Maybe they are different in real life than they are online, I don't know.

Ron500E
01-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Fuck, that thread was painful to read. I did find the "pussy" reference but no "douche". All that diatribe is hard to digest. I admire Ron's ability to talk circles around those guys.

I don't mean in any way to diminish Ron's sophisticated sense of humour and intelligence, but honestly, in my experience/estimation the lot of them set a pretty low bar. I know Bondavi has been friends with most all of them for many years, and knows them personally, so I bet he would vehemently disagree. Maybe they are different in real life than they are online, I don't know.

I really appreciate the kind words but I have to agree with Gerry, it's sort of like shooting ducks in a barrel, too easy. They're like some grinning idiots mutual admiration society club slapping each other on the back in response to the silliest thing.
Even in a world filled with microbes no one would consider them tall. Their stooping to calling someone a "pussy" (which was last used in 1979 by someone in the 6th grade who did not quite make it to 7th) indicates the lack of any type of IQ beyond ones shoe size or the ability to have a rational discussion where a different point of view presents itself.
They are collectively in the 50th percentile (half) when it comes to calculating their wits.
Some people, to appear tall, pull other people down. But that does not make them tall.
Oh well, they DO provide amusement for the rest of us if nothing else. We should be thankful for small gifts.

Ron

2phast
01-21-2014, 11:44 PM
I don't mean in any way to diminish Ron's sophisticated sense of humour and intelligence, but honestly, in my experience/estimation the lot of them set a pretty low bar. I know Bondavi has been friends with most all of them for many years, and knows them personally, so I bet he would vehemently disagree. Maybe they are different in real life than they are online, I don't know.

In the internet age cowards hide behind their on-line profiles, spew out incoherent gibberish/slander and are not held accountable for their actions. If you think car forums are infested, try the gun forums. I don't contribute on those AT ALL. The level of moronic nonsense is utterly un-tolerable on those forums.

It is sad that some of those people are in a position to abuse the moderator title they possess.

mistermiata
01-22-2014, 06:54 AM
I really appreciate the kind words but I have to agree with Gerry, it's sort of like shooting ducks in a barrel, too easy. They're like some grinning idiots mutual admiration society club slapping each other on the back in response to the silliest thing.
Even in a world filled with microbes no one would consider them tall. Their stooping to calling someone a "pussy" (which was last used in 1979 by someone in the 6th grade who did not quite make it to 7th) indicates the lack of any type of IQ beyond ones shoe size or the ability to have a rational discussion where a different point of view presents itself.
They are collectively in the 50th percentile (half) when it comes to calculating their wits.
Some people, to appear tall, pull other people down. But that does not make them tall.

Oh well, they DO provide amusement for the rest of us if nothing else. We should be thankful for small gifts.

Ron

Ron....please continue to post multiple times on a daily basis!! :hugs: Embarrasing as it is to admit, and as much as your wife woundnt approve, I want to have a bromance with you....

01-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Check it out....Evan over at GCFSB found the 'thing' and posted it up:

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/heaps-of-the-week-two-mercedes-500sec-amgs-one-seller/#more-51911

Maui
01-22-2014, 09:21 PM
This thread sure took some awkward turns.

:pc1:

gerryvz
01-22-2014, 10:21 PM
This thread sure took some awkward turns.

:pc1:Indeed .. the first time a bro-mance has been mentioned in 5+ years. Yeesh ! :timeout:

Ron500E
01-23-2014, 01:52 AM
Indeed .. the first time a bro-mance has been mentioned in 5+ years. Yeesh ! :timeout:

And with a little luck, the last.

However, It was meant in a most positive, but yet awkward, way I suspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDWxhilPOs

Ron

mistermiata
01-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Ron....sorry for any awkwardness. Bromance or not, you are a first class Mensch in my book!

Gerry...we have Chain Yanks, Chick Magnets, and now a Bromance. The 500EBoard is kinda like the Star Ship Enterprise, exploring strange new worlds, etc, etc....