PDA

View Full Version : European License Plate

portiadog1
02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Given that we don't have to have front plates in NC, I would like to mount a German plate to the front of my 500E. Is a European plate mount necessary? Either way, I would like to replace the current mount, which has two tabs sticking down below the bumper. Thanks in advance.

elbeik
02-27-2014, 02:40 PM
You can source something like this and put a Euro license plate in it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151227314540?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

KarlC
02-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Given that we don't have to have front plates in NC, I would like to mount a German plate to the front of my 500E. Is a European plate mount necessary? Either way, I would like to replace the current mount, which has two tabs sticking down below the bumper. Thanks in advance.

You can ezaly find real eruo plates and frames on Ebay along with custom euro plates that say what ever you like.

bing
02-27-2014, 04:26 PM
All u need to do is remove the existing US style plate mount, then get euro plate holder like elbeik suggested or u can just screw directly on the bumper cut-out when the mount is removed.

Search for "Wurth" euro plate holders . By far the best quality!

Jimbo
02-27-2014, 04:31 PM
No, a European plate adaptor/mount is not necessary. The bumper was designed for a rectangular euro plate from the get go.

Just remove the US plate holder, or the bump strip filler piece, if you have either with a Philips screwdriver.

You'll want a plastic European plate surround/holder tho so you don't have to drill thru your new plate to install it. But you can drill your plate also if you wan to ...no foul.

Maui
02-27-2014, 05:24 PM

I have a euro plate that reads 500E. It isn't real but looks good on the wall of my shop.

portiadog1
02-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the help. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and is drama free. What an amazing place.

gerryvz
02-27-2014, 08:45 PM
This forum is a wealth of knowledge and is drama free. What an amazing place.Thanks. Your moderators are working hard to keep it that way.:joust:

2phast
02-28-2014, 02:12 AM
You should look at your state laws concerning plates issued from "other" governments. In Washington, we have to have front license plates, and there is one RCW code to address that. There is also another RCW code that addresses using plates issued from foreign governments. For example, if I run my Washington state front license plate and below it a euro plate, I can be cited for "using a foreign issued license plate" on my vehicle. If I ran just the euro plate, it would be two fines (no Washington plate and using a plate issued by a foreign government)

500AMM
02-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Hello Port,

Have a look here: http://www.licenseplates.tv/european-plates.html I guess you could get a custom plate. :-)

-a-

KarlC
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Hello Port,

Have a look here: http://www.licenseplates.tv/european-plates.html I guess you could get a custom plate. :-)

-a-

Cool site, pricy compared to the ones on ebay, but these do look nicer and seem to come with the stickers intact.

portiadog1
02-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone. I ordered a plain frame off Amazon, and ordered a custom plate, SUMMRLADY from another site a few days ago. I haven't been able to figure out why, but my 2.5 year old son has taken to calling the 500E his "summer lady".

2phast, we have no rules on front plates, and on antique cars you can actually register a custom fake or genuine antique plate to your car.

captruff
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Hello Port,

-a-

I have purchased from this site as well as others, but licenseplates.tv have the best quality IMO.

Jeff