PDA

View Full Version : Polar White/Marble Grey Color Scheme

emerydc8
03-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I wanted to make sure I got the correct Marble Grey for my rear bumper so I ordered it from APS Tower Paint. I have the two-tone, Polar White (149) and Marble Grey (7201) color scheme.

My eyes are not as good as they used to be, but this Marble Grey they mixed seems to be way too light. Even if the lower cladding was repainted by a prior owner, it looks like the paint on the cladding is closer to the true Marble Grey than the stuff APS sent. Any comments?

Allgonquin
03-16-2014, 07:37 AM
Definitely looks lighter than the door cladding in that photo.

emerydc8
03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
It doesn't even look grey. I sent the pictures to APS, but I'm sure they're going to come back and say that it's the cladding that's the wrong color--not the paint they sent. Rather than argue with them, I'm just going to try to match it with a local paint. Thanks for the reply.

elbeik
03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Too much white in their mixture as it seems...

gsxr
03-16-2014, 05:46 PM
See if you can find photos of another 1994-1995 Polar White W124 for comparison... would be nice to find out if they are right, or not. If they are wrong, they should be called out on it.

:detective:

emerydc8
03-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Dave. Ill do that. This is driving me nuts. I went back to primer gray just because that was the closest color I could find in all the shops I went to today.

ollo
05-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Looks like you have a very close match now. My E420 has the same Polar White/Marble Grey color scheme though, and it is more like the lighter color they gave you. If anything, it may be even lighter, as in bright sunlight it's not much darker than the white. I will get a picture and post up for you this afternoon. Don

ollo
05-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Here are the pictures. There was a light overcast with some broken clouds beneath, so not full sun but bright enough to have some shadow. Don

05-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Looks nice!

clarkz71
05-29-2014, 04:26 AM
Looks's like maybe your cladding was repainted darker at some point Jon

Klink
05-29-2014, 09:24 AM
I wanted to make sure I got the correct Marble Grey for my rear bumper so I ordered it from APS Tower Paint. I have the two-tone, Polar White (149) and Marble Grey (7201) color scheme.

My eyes are not as good as they used to be, but this Marble Grey they mixed seems to be way too light. Even if the lower cladding was repainted by a prior owner, it looks like the paint on the cladding is closer to the true Marble Grey than the stuff APS sent. Any comments?

I think your paint supplier got it right. It's your other cladding that looks darker than what IIRC as "Marble Gray". ollo's post below looks right to me and to Clark.

First, are you positive about your color code? If you aren't post your VIN...

Here's a long but possibly pricy way round if you want to put an acid test to it: FYI

Spray cans of the lower body panel paint are available under the part number 000 986 31 50 #### put your paint number in place of the #s so, if you want color 7201, you would order 000 986 31 50 7201. It's a 2 can set of 5oz cans (the color and the dull finish clear coat). They have to be ordered from D-land, but that's easy and fast enough these days. The not so easy part is the $. They cost the dealer about $20-25, so who knows what they will mark it up to. Use your best dealer contact I guess. Clark just posted a good one lately.

Klink
05-29-2014, 09:45 AM
I just saw that touch up "stick" style lower cladding paint is also available as part 000 986 24 50 #### That may be cheaper if you just want a color "tester"... It costs your dealer about $14.00 and there are some in stock in the the USA.

emerydc8
05-30-2014, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the pics, Don. Nice looking E420. As both MB techs pointed out--and I agree--the bumper paint is in fact the correct color and the rest of the trim was repainted at some point. I actually like the darker color over the stock. It is more of a primer gray color, but I've found it tough to find a paint that matches it. I thought about just using gray primer and then sealing it. I will have to get back to this bumper paint issue after dealing with more urgent mechanical issues. Thanks to all and sorry for the late reply.