PDA

View Full Version : E63 power for 500E?

vcci
04-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi All, I'm new to the site and dont actually own a 500E(right now). Owned one years ago and always loved the 500E body. i'm here because a few weeks ago I wrecked my 07 E63 and am in the negotiation stage with the insurance company. More than likely I will be buying the car back from the insurance and will have a few options of what to do with it. The damage is very minimal but with the price of AMG parts it'll probably run $6-$8k to repair. The other option other than selling it is to use the power/drive train in a 500E. My E63 is a monster making roughly 540hp at the crank, I can only imagine how bad ass it would be to have that in a 500E. My question is this, is there anyone near LA capable of doing the swap for a reasonable price? i have the entire car and would ideally like engine/trans/differential and brakes transferred to the 500E including the steering wheel with paddle shifters. I would think its not that challenging as I have an entire car to use all the parts from. Anyone here know who I should speak to regarding a build like this? thanks in advance.

sheward
04-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Welcome. This type of swap has been discussed here more than once. It's much more challenging than you imagine. Others will surely get more specific but I think the 2 biggest issues are the non compatible computer systems and the engine bay itself. The E500E uses an early system that no one I can remember has been able to modify to adapt to a different transmission (I believe there are members working on this) let alone a complete engine. The entire electrical system would have to be transplanted. There is very limited room in the engine bay as well. There's a high likelihood that the powerplant/trans would not fit. Especially if one wanted to keep all the niceties that make the car what it is. Most anything can be done however I'm guessing the cost would be considerably more than the repair cost. There are others here that lust after a conversion of this sort. Hopefully they will add their opinions.

drew

KarlC
04-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Vcci if you have some time join us this weekend for a GTG. Some of the most knowledgeable owners will be there

See here
http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?5582-***-SoCal-500Eboard-Spring-GTG-Extravaganza-April-12-13

vcci
04-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Welcome. This type of swap has been discussed here more than once. It's much more challenging than you imagine. Others will surely get more specific but I think the 2 biggest issues are the non compatible computer systems and the engine bay itself. The E500E uses an early system that no one I can remember has been able to modify to adapt to a different transmission (I believe there are members working on this) let alone a complete engine. The entire electrical system would have to be transplanted. There is very limited room in the engine bay as well. There's a high likelihood that the powerplant/trans would not fit. Especially if one wanted to keep all the niceties that make the car what it is. Most anything can be done however I'm guessing the cost would be considerably more than the repair cost. There are others here that lust after a conversion of this sort. Hopefully they will add their opinions.

drew

Thanks for the input and yes I agree its a lot more than one would think. How realistic would doing something like this be? That would actually be the preferred method, the best of both world.

http://www.carbuildindex.com/15931/body-swap-1985-mercedes-benz-190e-grafted-onto-2010-c63-amg/

sheward
04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Interesting project. Thanks for the link. I agree, that would be the preferred method for the swap/marriage you are imagining. It then becomes a chassis builder / fabricators job. I personally don't know of anyone with the skills to perform this.

drew

vcci
04-13-2014, 01:31 PM
i'm surprised no others chimed in. I spoke to the company doing that build and was given a better idea of what it'll cost to get it done, just about double what i thought it would be and as much as i'd love to have it i can't justify spending that much. As challenging as it is i think engine/trans swap may be more feasible. I realize it'll cost more than repairing my E63 but i'm prepared to spend if its within reason.

jhodg5ck
04-13-2014, 02:58 PM
That sort of thing is Always expensive, and there will be unforeseen issues along the way that typically drive the cost up more yet.

IMHO, the best way to go about this would be stand alone for the engine management, and a manual swap for the trans. 722.9's require a LOT of communication from all over the car...as does ME 9.7(IIRC).

jono

szvook
04-13-2014, 03:07 PM
You can try RB Tech in L.A. and see if they want to take on the job and what it would cost. Ask for Ralph, he's the owner.

Mejnoon
04-14-2014, 08:41 PM
That sort of thing is Always expensive, and there will be unforeseen issues along the way that typically drive the cost up more yet.

IMHO, the best way to go about this would be stand alone for the engine management, and a manual swap for the trans. 722.9's require a LOT of communication from all over the car...as does ME 9.7(IIRC).

jono

That may be the only way. Neel Vasavada at Apex speed technology is the guy to talk to in LA about wiring up a project like that.

With that said, it will never be CARB legal...no stand alone allowed, period :(