PDA

View Full Version : OWNER - Maui (040)

Pages : [1] 2

Maui
04-25-2014, 05:44 PM
After several weeks the black car is home. A little dusty from the journey but safe and sound in the shop. The car took a roundabout tour coming home to Oregon from Atlanta via the LA GTG. The sun came out just long enough to unload the car and take it on its maiden Oregon journey. Thanks Matt and captruff for all your help.

:wahoo:

Info on this car: http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?3237-FS-1992-500E-Black-Black-69kmi-22-900-(Indianapolis-IN)&highlight=wDBEA36EXNB727308

Upgrades and maintenance performed:

Tandem PS pump rebuilt (April 2014)
Replaced transmission cooler lines (April 2014)
ASR/ABS sensors replaced (April 2014)
Muffler hangers replaced (April 2014)
Motul oil change (April 2014)
Euro headlights installed (April 2014)
Two piece AMG wheels (April 2014)
Continental DWS tires (April 2014)
500E floor mats (April 2014)
Black headlight wiper delete plates (April 2014)
miscellaneous small parts, light bulbs, and fluids (April 2014)
Autodimming mirror with homelink (May 2014)
Distributer caps and rotors (Bremi) (May 2014)
Alignment, tie rod, drag link (May 2014)
Plugs (F8DC4) and Plug wires (Beru) (May 2014)
BM/GM Module (used) (June 2014)
Diagnostic Module (Used) (June 2014)
Motor mounts front and rear (June 2014)
Transmission overload protection switch (June 2014)
Odometer gears (June 2014)
Repainted the lower moldings, gas filler lid, and left rear moulding (August 2014 Lincoln Street Motors)
Installed FGS Valve Body, Transmission Fluid and filter change Fuch's Titan 3353 (Nov 2014)
Installed Leistung Autohauz catback exhaust (Jan 2015)
Installed new window switches in center console from MBCC (Jan 2015)
Installed 201-820-21-10 door switches on all four doors and trunk. (Feb 2015)
Replaced front lower control arms with later style (March 2015)
Replaced lower engine harness (March 2015)
Silver Arrow front brake calipers with drilled Zimmerman rotors, WRX braided hoses and Akebono pads (April 2015)
Refinished console wood and ashtray by Madera (April 2015
Refurbished 1432 and receiver by Becker auto sound (April 2015)
Replaced front seat cushions and fixed loose B pillar by Guys Interior, Portland (April 2015)
Replaced rear windshield with new MB glass (July 2015)
Oil and filter change Motul 5-40w (July 2016) Mileage 72,241
Installed Cocomats black with silver highlights (July 2016)

KarlC
04-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Very nice, looking really good !!!

Now you might have interest in this thread .......

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?4674-Calling-all-040-%28black-car%29-owners-how-do-you-care-for-your-paint&highlight=black

Maui
04-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Very nice, looking really good !!!

Now you might have interest in this thread .......

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?4674-Calling-all-040-%28black-car%29-owners-how-do-you-care-for-your-paint&highlight=black

Black is beautiful!

Glen
04-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Very nice, Ken. Are you sure you can't keep both?

Maui
04-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Very nice, Ken. Are you sure you can't keep both?

I sold the '93 even though I really wanted to keep it. I just don't have enough garage space for three toys. I only have garage space for four cars we own five not counting the '93. My DD has to sit outside. I actually tried to sell the SL but only received one low ball offer. The SL only has 38k miles and I'm not going to give it away. Had I sold the SL I would have kept the '93 for sure. I really loved that car. It was a very difficult decision that I agonized over trust me. The '92 and my SL will just have to do.

KarlC
04-25-2014, 07:28 PM
I sold the '93 even though I really wanted to keep it I just don't have enough garage space for three toys. I only have garage space for four cars we own five without the '93. The '92 and my SL will have to do.

Who got your 93 car ???

Roma_500E
04-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Ken, your 500E looks gorgeous ! I love it ! Cannot stop looking at it. Wheels are just perfect match especially with 040.

Maui
04-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Who got your 93 car ???

I'm sure the buyer will be posting here soon.

Maui
04-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Ken, your 500E looks gorgeous ! I love it ! Cannot stop looking at it. Wheels are just perfect match especially with 040.

Thanks Roma I appreciate your comments.

gsxr
04-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Those 2-pc SL wheels just look awesome on the 036. Wow. Sure wish they were easier to locate (and cheaper!). Congrats on the upgrade, Ken!

:cheers:

Hi-Power
04-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Someone is sleeping a few hours tonight... :yahoo: Congratulations Ken, glad she finally arrived home!

Roma_500E
04-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Those 2-pc SL wheels just look awesome on the 036.
:cheers:

Very true !

Evo II and SL 2-pc are top choice for 036.

gerryvz
04-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Those 2-pc SL wheels just look awesome on the 036. Wow. Sure wish they were easier to locate (and cheaper!). Congrats on the upgrade, Ken!

:cheers:Yeah, captruff & 600Eric are the masters of the AMG two-piece. I was thinking more than twice of snagging them for myself at the GTG if Maui hadn't bought them.

captruff
04-25-2014, 10:01 PM
My car is usually on SL 2 piece wheels. For the Concours shows I will have the OE 8 hole wheels and for other shows I will run the Brabus III wheels. In either case the car is driven to the event on the SL 2 piece wheels. The look great and fit without issues.

Jeff

Hi-Power
04-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Those 2-pc SL wheels just look awesome on the 036.

Couldn't agree more, a set of 2 piece AMG/BBS SL wheels are a must for every 036 owner.

bing
04-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Congratulation, you're now addicted !

maplevalleyhammer
04-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Hello Maui,
Coincidently, I am in Maui (Kihei) presently. We get back to Seattle next Wednesday. The wife and I just got back from breakfast @ La Provence in Kula. I will be attending the caffeine and gasoline @ Griots next Saturday (main store in Tacoma), haven't decided which car to bring yet but it looks like the weather will be nice. If you ever decide to come up from Portland, please let me know and I will bring my '92 500E for sure!
It has been at the body shop having a respray (stock grey color) and I am very anxious to see it!
I have not figured out how to post pictures but will eventually.
Aloha,
Brian
bp@regencygroupinc.com

Maui
04-26-2014, 04:42 PM
I love the views from Kula.

We used to own a couple rentals in Napili but sold them when the HOA dues were higher than the rents we were collecting. We'll be going to Maui in September for our 30th anniversary. I'll have to look at the schedule on the Griot's event. I've been to couple Griot's events in Portland. Great products. I really like the leather care products.

Maui
04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I snuck out between rain storms today to drive the car. I went to Costco to pick up a few items. I parked way out in the employee parking areas. On my return I just had a grab a couple photos. Nothin' fancy.

Don't tell anyone, but I haven't had a chance to visit the DMV yet so I put my SL500 front plate on the car. I only run the rear plate on the SL.

KarlC
04-26-2014, 07:53 PM
I snuck out between rain storms today to drive the car.

Maui, if you don't have a FGS I highly recommend it !!!

I just had a grab a couple photos. Nothin' fancy.

Looking good !!!

Maui
04-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Maui, if you don't have a FGS I highly recommend it !!

My other car had FGS and I'm actually liking the current setup. With time I may change my mind.

gsxr
04-27-2014, 10:00 AM
My other car had FGS and I'm actually liking the current setup. With time I may change my mind.
Remember that without FGS, you can get one-time FGS by moving the gearshift to the "B" position at a stoplight, wait 1-2 seconds, then put it back in D (or 3, or 2, or leaving it in B, depending what you're planning on doing). For that one start, it will start in 1st gear, even at part throttle. It will upshift to 2nd quickly unless you have your foot pretty well into the throttle though.

:e500launch:

Maui
04-27-2014, 03:23 PM
IMHO black makes the car look special and the tinted windows give it a sinister look.

:bartman:

Maui
06-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Picked up a Master Blaster car dryer last week. I used it for the first time tonight. An absolute must for drying a black car. I used to use my leaf blower but this thing really concentrates the air flow and blows twice the airflow. It also filters the air.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/06/347.jpg

2phast
06-21-2014, 09:07 PM
If you finish your wash with purified water, you can let your car air dry without the worry of water spots. I have used these for many years and can't imagine washing without one now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-AutoDry-System-Starter/dp/B0006M56CE

Maui
06-21-2014, 09:15 PM
If you finish your wash with purified water, you can let your car air dry without the worry of water spots. I have used these for many years and can't imagine washing without one now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-AutoDry-System-Starter/dp/B0006M56CE

Looks like a great system but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night allowing my black car to drip dry.

I've been considering a water purifier system but never tried one yet.

2phast
06-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Looks like a great system but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night allowing my black car to drip dry.

I've been considering a water purifier system but never tried one yet.

I used it without issue on my black C36. You can achieve the same type of results with a inline hose filter system as well, Griots has several that are excellent.

Maui
07-14-2014, 08:29 AM
I know this has nothing to do with cars but today is my anniversary. I married my wonderful wife 30 years ago today.

gsxr
07-14-2014, 08:55 AM
I know this has nothing to do with cars but today is my anniversary. I married my wonderful wife 30 years ago today.
That is awesome! Congratulations!

:thumbsup2:

Hollybrook
07-14-2014, 09:36 AM
That is awesome! Congratulations!

+1

Glen
07-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Congrats!

Klink
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Got a 33 plus year keeper myself! I hope you have many more, years and that they are all great.

albdentist
07-14-2014, 10:02 AM
that's awesome ! congratulations !

gerryvz
07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Congratulations, Ken. That is a real milestone, particularly in this day and age.

DRW
07-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Gorgeous car! Enjoy.

Klink
07-14-2014, 11:56 AM
I snuck out between rain storms today to drive the car. I went to Costco to pick up a few items. I parked way out in the employee parking areas. On my return I just had a grab a couple photos. Nothin' fancy.

Don't tell anyone, but I haven't had a chance to visit the DMV yet so I put my SL500 front plate on the car. I only run the rear plate on the SL.

Bitchin' looking ride there!! Looks like the proper conveyance for an "Un-civil engineer" and BYCM!

Maui
07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the responses. I know this isn't a general socializing site and Gerry feel to pull this down if I've over steped the bounds but here is a picture with my lovely wife back in 1984.

gerryvz
07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Ken,

This is YOUR owner thread so it's your personal corner of the site to post whatever you want to.

Cheers,
Gerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarkz71
07-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Congratulations, that is impressive, "must" be with the right person.

Maui
07-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Had an interesting week. Played golf with this guy and my wife and I celebrated our anniversary in the Columbia River Gorge. Pic of us at Bonneville dam. We'll finish the celebration in September spending a week at our favorite place in the world.

Klink
07-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Had an interesting week. Played golf with this guy and my wife and I celebrated our anniversary in the Columbia River Gorge. Pic of us at Bonneville dam. We'll finish the celebration in September spending a week at our favorite place in the world.
:plusone:

gerryvz
07-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Congratulations! And wow ... you shaved off your beard !!

Maui
07-27-2014, 07:24 PM
The beard was a temporary thing. I do one about every few years for about six months.

Hollybrook
07-29-2014, 09:31 AM

I grew up in Washington DC and the original Ronald McDonald (Willard Scott, who also portrayed Bozo the Clown in WDC and was the local weatherman on TV and later the Today Show) came to one of our cub scout meetings in costume. It is one of the few memories I have of being a cub scout, and he was a nice and funny man! Probably still is...

Maui
07-29-2014, 09:16 PM
I grew up in Washington DC and the original Ronald McDonald (Willard Scott, who also portrayed Bozo the Clown in WDC and was the local weatherman on TV and later the Today Show) came to one of our cub scout meetings in costume. It is one of the few memories I have of being a cub scout, and he was a nice and funny man! Probably still is...

I remember Bozo when I was kid. I'm sure there are a few hundred Ronald McDonalds around the country now a days. Our engineering firm puts on a client appreciation golf tournament every year. Everyone gets to play golf for free but we sell hole sponsorships, mulligans, and raffle tickets. 100% of the proceeds go to the local Ronald McDonald house. We generally raise about $12,000 each year for a great cause. We've been doing this for about ten years and have raised well over $100,000. The local Ronald McDonald chapter has a really nice golf tournament every year, as well, and they give our firm a foursome. So, last week I played and could not resist a selfie with Ronald. Our tournament is in September and Ronald will be roaming the course being the joker he is. I have been blessed with pretty healthy kids (grown up now) and I am happy we can support such a great charity.

Maui
08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
I drove the 500E to work today for a change of pace. I had some banking to do at lunch and when I came out of the bank I found an old guy (older than me :oldman:) looking my car over. He asked me if it was one of the Porsche built 500E's? He said he knew of them but had never seen on in person. He was very impressed. We chatted for a few minutes and he drove off in a 2001 E430. That is first stranger that has ever recognized a 500E.

Klink
08-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I drove the 500E to work today for a change of pace. I had some banking to do at lunch and when I came out of the bank I found an old guy (older than me :oldman:) looking my car over. He asked me if it was one the Porsche built 500E's? He said he knew of them but had never seen on in person. He was very impressed. We chatted for a few minutes and he drove off in a 2001 E430. That is first stranger that has ever recognized a 500E.

My pearl gray (122) '92 (now owned by tcg1122) used to get recognized fairly frequently, almost always by an older 911 driver.

I always got, and still get things like "Damn! That's a good looking Mercedes! Did you do that?" usually said while pointing to the fenders.

Car type gatherings are frequently good for at least one of these, while also looking at the fenders: "Are they real?" At that point I touch my breasts and say "Hell yes they're real! If they were fake, don't you think I would have gotten something bigger than these bee stings!"
I always wished there was a video camera around for the reactions.

Some inquisitive ones go to the back to see the badge, which on mine were always removed on day one...

:klink:

Hollybrook
08-06-2014, 10:06 PM
A few people have recognized my car. One guy matched speed with me for about a mile and then rolled down his window to tell me that it was nice to see a good looking stock 500E. Pulling into a car show, I was going to park in the general parking and one of the gatekeepers for the corral ran me down and asked if I would park in the corral, even though I was not entering my car. And Greg (8899 on 500Eboard) saw me driving on the road one day and sent me an email. Of course, I don't have a black on black car like Ken...

I have only seen one 500E on the road (not counting at C&C's), and that was a friend who I often saw going to work in the opposite direction I was travelling.

Klink
08-06-2014, 10:16 PM
A few people have recognized my car. One guy matched speed with me for about a mile and then rolled down his window to tell me that it was nice to see a good looking stock 500E. Pulling into a car show, I was going to park in the general parking and one of the gatekeepers for the corral ran me down and asked if I would park in the corral, even though I was not entering my car. And Greg (8899 on 500Eboard) saw me driving on the road one day and sent me an email. Of course, I don't have a black on black car like Ken...

I have only seen one 500E on the road (not counting at C&C's), and that was a friend who I often saw going to work in the opposite direction I was travelling.

That reminded me. One time at Sebring I got waved into a Porsche Corral. As someone else started to complain, the guy that waved me in went through his boxes of Porsche enthusiast magazines and pulled out what I think was a copy of Christophorus. He showed the magazine around and our car got to stay where it continued to attract a lot of attention, as you would guess...

126v8
08-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Very true !

Evo II and SL 2-pc are top choice for 036.

Add the Rial Arcs to that list

gerryvz
08-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Add the Rial Arcs to that list:plusone:

Not to mention AMG Mono IIs, preferably staggered.

Maui
08-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Here is a link to pictures I took at the Canby, Oregon car show yesterday.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/geluiokozo7i57u/AAAuEBi61CXeh2wSFVjpr4aWa?dl=0

Maui
08-24-2014, 10:19 PM
I was looking up the data card on a 1994 W124 Wagon and one the SA codes read: 040 C 220 CANADA SPECIAL EDITION

I know what the 040 means but what is the Canada Special Edition? I think I found a cell mate. I can tell the car has been garaged too because there is none of the Great Moist West fungi growing on the window felt. The SLS system has just been overhauled. I could tell it had a new pump and new brake booster. Even has all the books with maintenance book indicating Phil Smart MB dealer had done all the maintenance. Pretty darn clean car.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/4635296341.html

Klink
08-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I was looking up the data card on a 1994 W124 Wagon and one the SA codes read: 040 C 220 CANADA SPECIAL EDITION

I know what the 040 means but what is the Canada Special Edition?

Something not likely to have any applicability to that wagon, which is clearly a code "494" USA version vehicle. A number of these option codes are "recycled" so they mean something different at different points in time. The MB internal data often fits the more currently stored description to an "old" option code. Sometimes they are related, such that an old car with an optional upgraded audio system may read "Harman-Kardon sound" even though that HK name didn't appear on any MB audio until a decade later. Sometimes the text description isn't related at all, as with the one your example, which clearly referred to some kind of "promotional" / "special edition" C220 (likely a 202 or 203 chassis), that was also 040 black...

Maui
08-24-2014, 10:38 PM
I think it followed me home.... :doh::nobmw:

Klink
08-24-2014, 10:42 PM

It happens. If it did, that's OK. Few vehicles are as rewarding as a Benz wagon! So much more useful, and they tend to subjectively drive even better than the sedans. You'll love it.

Maui
08-24-2014, 10:50 PM
It happens. If it did, that's OK. Few vehicles are as rewarding as a Benz wagon! So much more useful, and they tend to subjectively drive even better than the sedans. You'll love it.

Seems to be a good solid Seattle car. Drove nice. It will need the normal stuff but will be badass wagon when I'm done. No heated seats or ASR, though.

Glen
08-24-2014, 10:58 PM

Congrats, I think. What happened to white and leather??? :detective:

Maui
08-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Still looking for a white one with leather. I've been scouring the west coast for a white one and then this one popped up this afternoon in my backyard so I jumped on it. If a white one pops up I'll have two. :doh:

Klink
08-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Still looking for a white one with leather. I've been scouring the west coast for a white one and then this one popped up this afternoon in my backyard so I jumped on it. If a white one pops up I'll have two. :doh:

Now, that's the correct approach! It doesn't have to be a "black or white" issue!

I had the most fantastic one with my personal highly desired combo of white on gray with ASR, leather and seat heaters. Sold it to my wife's partner in a weak moment. It got wrecked like three times, the last one severely, all of them his, and none of them the cars fault. That was another one of those "WTF was I thinking to sell that one?" vehicles...

Maui
08-24-2014, 11:09 PM
A few maintenance items, slight lowering and the right wheels and it will be right at home with the 500E. I guess I know what I'll be doing on my Saturdays.

Glen
08-24-2014, 11:11 PM

Cool, then full on congrats. :-)

I'll keep an eye out for one...

Maui
08-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Cool, then full on congrats. :-)

I'll keep an eye out for one...

Thanks Glen. Thanks again for checking out the SD car for me. I'm sorry it ended up being a toad. It did not have ASR or heated seats either but it was white with leather. Now I have one to learn on before I find THE ONE.

Maui
08-30-2014, 04:20 PM
I had looked at this wagon last Sunday and made a few posts but I had not quite worked out a deal on it. I went back today and got what I think is a smokin' deal. The dealer needed a retaining wall designed. So, I told him I'd give him $500 and stamped drawing for his retaining wall. Got it home and washed it.

:jono:

gsxr
08-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Nice! Welcome to the S124 Club!!

:gor-gor:

Glen
08-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Looks great, sounds like you definitely got a smokin' deal!

gerryvz
08-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Now that I no longer own an S124, they're not covered by this site. All the S124 posts are no longer valid.

Congratulations, by the way !

Maui
08-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Understood der honcho.

gsxr
08-30-2014, 07:31 PM
:chainyank:

Maui
08-31-2014, 10:18 PM
After dinking around and driving the wagon today I have to say it's pretty fun and going to be a great project. Tonight I drove the 500E to the auto parts store to get some engine coolant for the wagon and I couldn't help but grin the whole drive and realized just how special my 500E is. :hearts: I feel really fortunate to have such a well sorted car.

Maui
09-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Some W124 Wagon issues:

1. The temperature gauge seems to swing wildly. I will be cruising along and the gauge will be reading 85-90 C and then instantly shoot up and peg the needle. It happens in a split second and then it stays pegged. Sometimes it will then quickly bounce back to 85-90. I can tell the engine is not running hot enough to peg the meter but I am not driving it with a pegged temp needle.

2. I noticed the aux fans only kick on if the AC is turned on.

3. The AC fan is pretty noisy when it works. It operates intermittently.

4. The buttons on the climate control unit do not seem to engage completely or click into position.

gerryvz
09-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Some W124 Wagon issues:

1. The temperature gauge seems to swing wildly. I will be cruising along and the gauge will be reading 85-90 C and then instantly shoot up and peg the needle. It happens in a split second and then it stays pegged. Sometimes it will then quickly bounce back to 85-90. I can tell the engine is not running hot enough to peg the meter but I am not driving it with a pegged temp needle.

Ken, this is very very likely a bad temperature gauge, if the wiring checks out OK. I had the same thing on my former 560SEL and taking apart the cluster and replacing the temp gauge fixed the issue.

First though, you need to check the wiring at the temp sensor next to the thermostat housing to make sure it's not shorting or stripped. This wire from the sensor to the gauge is definitely affected by the "eco-wiring" thing, so you need to examine it CLOSELY where the end of the wire goes into the connector that fits on top of the temp sensor. Has the car's upper harness been replaced ?!? If you need a gauge, I have one I can send you. You have to remove the needle to remove the old gauge, and you can press on your new needle very carefully when you install the new gauge. I doubt if it's the sensor - it's not very often they go bad.

2. I noticed the aux fans only kick on if the AC is turned on.ANY time the A/C is on, my experience is that the low-speed aux fan should ALWAYS be on. No matter what. And remember, the A/C is on in the first (defrost), second and middle buttons in the row of five.

Whether the A/C is on or off, if the coolant temperature gets to ~105C or higher, then the high-speed aux fan will come on to cool things down. This is the one you can really hear.

3. The AC fan is pretty noisy when it works. It operates
intermittently.Are you talking about the blower fan (blows air inside the car) or the aux fans (in front of the radiator)? This requires some more diagnosis. If you mean the blower fan inside the car, quite often this means the blower motor and/or regulator is on its way out. Often a bad fan starts getting noisy. Regulators typically fail either with the fan permanently ON or OFF (no fan), but can sometimes be intermittent as well. It's not a bad DIY job to do the fan and regulator; they are not cheap parts, but it's highly advisable to do the regulator if you have to do the fan simply because it's totally exposed once you have the fan out of the car. Aftermarket parts not advised, unless you go Behr.

4. The buttons on the climate control unit do not seem to engage completely or click into position.Common problem. Means you need a new PBU (push-button unit). This could also potentially be the cause of your intermittent fan. You can get a used PBU at the wrecking yard and it's a pretty easy DIY to replace. Just make sure you get one from a late 124 (1992 or later is very safe).

Maui
09-01-2014, 07:59 PM
I believe the upper hares has been replaced but I'm not sure where the tag should be on the 3.2. I've looked at the wiring to thermo housing and the wires look good and I can't find any cracked wires on the harness. There seem to be some fairly newer wire ties that would indicate it was replaced recently.

I'll take you up on the temp gauge. Send me a PM and I'll paypal you.

The fan buttons go in and click but al the other buttons push but do not engage or report.

gerryvz
09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
You can see the tag in my top end rebuild thread on the M104. It's in basically the same place that it is on the E500E (see here (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5082&p=57290&viewfull=1#post57290)).

You can also see in that thread where the temp sensor(s) are located in the area just aft of the thermostat. You get a good view here (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23509&d=1385867646&thumb=1). And another one here (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25681&d=1390371020&thumb=1).

Maui
09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
It must be behind the plastic cover behind the battery. I'll check that out when I get back from vacation.

Maui
09-01-2014, 08:35 PM
The temp gauge works fine when the car is cold but after it warms up it goes haywire.

clarkz71
09-01-2014, 09:51 PM
I take it you didn't buy the well sorted white 1994 S124 from that guy.

Maui
09-01-2014, 10:40 PM
I take it you didn't buy the well sorted white 1994 S124 from that guy.

No they wanted too much for it and I'd have to add shipping to the price. If it had leather and ASR I might have stepped up.

gsxr
09-02-2014, 08:29 AM
The aux fans should not be running on either your 500E or the wagon unless AC is on, or the temp is over 107C. The fans may not run with AC on a cool day... they trigger based on refrigerant pressure, which fluctuates with temps. If using the AC to defog/dehumidify in winter, the fans may not run... this is normal.

:pc1:

Maui
09-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Aloha from Maui. Spotted this nice 70 SL280 in Lahaina.

TerryA
09-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Aloha Ken,

Isn't Maui great!! Nice looking 280SL. I had one for a very short time but it had a funky automatic transmission. When you floored it it would wind out the gears and after each shift it the tach would drop to 500 or 600 RPM and climb back up to red line which I thought was very weird. Anyway I purchased from a friend and he was gracious enough to take it back. If it was a stick I would probably still have it.

Hey is Longihe's still there in Lahina? I haven't been to Maui in at least 15 years. I still remember having one of the best New York strip steaks ever there.

Have a great vacation.

Take Cate

Maui
09-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I did not see Longihes. A few things have changed since I was last here four years ago. The thing that remains the same is my love for the island and desire to live here.

My rental car is sort of like a G Wagon.

Maui
09-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Surprisingly I had to wash both black cars today. :hearts:

First day back from Maui so I went to work on the wagon replacing the blower motor, regulator and climate control button pod. Also swapped out the gauge cluster because my temp gauge was doing weird things. Happy to report the climate control is working great now. While I was in there I got a good look at the upper harness and found it had a Nov. 2001 date code. I found a nice rear bumper at the wrecking yard as well. I'll need to sand it down and repaint it before installing. I have boat load of other parts coming next week including a set of BBS 18" wheels and lowering springs.

:burnout:

sheward
09-10-2014, 09:57 PM
VERY nice!

drew

Maui
09-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Picked up a nice parts car today for $600. It has a very nice black leather interior. Reverse has left the building but this will make a great parts car and another learning tool. Upper harness replaced two years ago as well as head gasket replaced. I may drop this motor into the wagon.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4663118740.html

Glen
09-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Ken, I hate to say it, but it's clear you have the same disease many of us suffer from. Very sorry for you...

:cel2:

:agree:

Klink
09-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Picked up a nice parts car today for $600. It has a very nice black leather interior. Reverse has left the building but this will make a great parts car and another learning tool. Upper harness replaced two years ago as well as head gasket replaced. I may drop this motor into the wagon.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4663118740.html

Ken, I hate to say it, but it's clear you have the same disease many of us suffer from. Very sorry for you...

:cel2:

:agree:

My condolences...

Maui
09-13-2014, 03:02 PM
I couldn't help myself. It needed to be rescued. Surprisingly it shifts very well in forward gears and runs very strong.

Maui
09-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Productive day today in spite of the heat. Installed a new blower fan in the E320 sedan and disabled the alarms in the sedan and the wagon. The wagon did not require shorting the relay but the sedan did. Also cleaned the shop and installed a wall wet/dry vacuum.

I have to say I am impressed with the E320's. They have a lot more power than I expected. Nothing like the M119 but very comfortable and great for daily driving.

gerryvz
09-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I have to say I am impressed with the E320's. They have a lot more power than I expected. Nothing like the M119 but very comfortable and great for daily driving.Agree, more then adequate for daily use. And with a refreshed top end, they are really nice and crisp. That said, the economy of the inline-six is not all that great, and really no better than that of the 4.2-liter M119 cars...

Klink
09-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Productive day today in spite of the heat. Installed a new blower fan in the E320 sedan and disabled the alarms in the sedan and the wagon. The wagon did not require shorting the relay but the sedan did. Also cleaned the shop and installed a wall wet/dry vacuum.

I have to say I am impressed with the E320's. They have a lot more power than I expected. Nothing like the M119 but very comfortable and great for daily driving.

The overall best engine ever put in a USA 124 IMO. I actually prefer it to the 4.2 124 as a DD. The 124s with that engine and the Sportline chassis are the best 124s ever made, again IMO only. Not the most desirable, mind you. They aren't always the same thing...

clarkz71
09-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Agree, more then adequate for daily use. And with a refreshed top end, they are really nice and crisp. That said, the economy of the inline-six is not all that great, and really no better than that of the 4.2-liter M119 cars...

Yes, in a sedan or wagon they do perform well.......:o

The overall best engine ever put in a USA 124 IMO. I actually prefer it to the 4.2 124 as a DD.

Please Colonel, I used to drive both day in and day out, you couldn't pay me to have a DD M104 sedan
A guy in my condo building has a 1995 Cabriolet, mint brilliant silver and black interior/top
70K miles on it.

When I work on it, and test drive it for quite a few miles, then I get in my 034, it's night & day
The 034 is much more quieter and smooth, more solid feeling

I'm sure Gerry knows what I mean going from the wagon to his 036

gsxr
09-14-2014, 08:09 PM
The end of the world is nigh, as I may disagree with Klink on something! :o Although I think the M104 (with HFM, or LH) is several orders of magnitude better than any M103... I would still take the baby M119 over the M104, at least in 3.2L form. I'd love to drive a W124 with 3.6L to see what those are like. I wish MB had put the M119 into the cabrio, coupe, and wagon and not just the sedan. I realize the V8 version might not be as tossable in the twisties, but for a daily driver, I want all the low-end torque I can get. The 606.962 in a 124 would be damn near a perfect car... LOL...

:grouphug:

Maui
09-14-2014, 08:12 PM
There is no comparison between the 500E and the E320 but I could drive either of the E320's and enjoy it. I bought the sedan thinking I would strip it. After driving it and going over it I'm leaning toward fixing the trannie and driving it. The black leather interior is choice and the exterior will buff out very nicely.

Maui
09-14-2014, 08:36 PM
The E320 sedan has zero leaks but the wagon reminds me of the Exon Valdez. The sedan engine is very clean including the power steering pump. Nearly all the bolts on the oil pan and transmission pan were lose on the wagon so I tightened them up a bit and seemed to help. The brake wear light flickers on the wagon but the brakes feel firm. Both engines run very well. Both cars are northwest cars. So far I have found zero rust on either of them. :nobmw:

gsxr
09-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Ken, my apologies on your confirmed illness. You should start planning now to make room for additional 124's. When two are left alone overnight, they can get romantic, and next thing you know a third will suddenly appear. I expect you will have a fourth by the end of the year. Sadly, there is no known cure... and please don't ask how many have followed me home...

:duck:

Klink
09-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Please Colonel, I used to drive both day in and day out, you couldn't pay me to have a DD M104 sedan
A guy in my condo building has a 1995 Cabriolet, mint brilliant silver and black interior/top
70K miles on it.

When I work on it, and test drive it for quite a few miles, then I get in my 034, it's night & day

I'm sure Gerry knows what I mean going from the wagon to his 036

The end of the world is nigh, as I may disagree with Klink on something! :o Although I think the M104 (with HFM, or LH) is several orders of magnitude better than any M103... I would still take the baby M119 over the M104, at least in 3.2L form. I'd love to drive a W124 with 3.6L to see what those are like. I wish MB had put the M119 into the cabrio, coupe, and wagon and not just the sedan. I realize the V8 version might not be as tossable in the twisties, but for a daily driver, I want all the low-end torque I can get. The 606.962 in a 124 would be damn near a perfect car... LOL...

There is no comparison between the 500E and the E320 but I could drive either of the E320's and enjoy it. I bought the sedan thinking I would strip it. After driving it and going over it I'm leaning toward fixing the trainee and driving it. The black leather interior is choice and the exterior will buff out very nicely.

Oh I'm sure it's very much a minority opinion, but emphasis here on the IMO only, the 4.2 L cars had so much more impact harshness without any advantage in drivability. I had an awesome condition one, new enough to still be in warranty as a DD for a year. Flat awesome highway cruisers, but other than for that I never actually loved it, as I was convinced that I would have just from test driving customer cars.

My .032 Sportline I bought because it drove magnificently in every circumstance, and I was able to get it cheap due to the overly high, but all highway mileage, and a persistent but extremely intermittent stalling problem that I later traced to the defective NEW upper engine harness. Like I said, it drove magnificently, and that wasn't only my opinion. I loaned that car to countless people, including many customers used to driving things like new 500s and 600s of every body variety, AMG 202s, you name it. Almost never was that car not returned to me fully detailed along with a "If this car is ever for sale please let me know!" I had owned it for maybe a year and sold it for a $4000 profit, which is in fact the only reason I sold it. I know, I know. I'm sorry if this sounds like some of these recent Volvo stories...

The Cabriolet comparison is a little bit unfair, as they are a couple hundred pounds heavier from reinforcement yet still it is a coupe (already heavier than the sedan!) that has had the roof sawed off and that's what it drives like.

On the subject of fairness, maybe my opinion could be changed upon driving an .034 Sportline, which we unfortunately did not get here. They may well have been fantastic...

Don't misunderstand, anyone. I would still rather drive a decent condition 124 than most other cars on the road, MBs included. There's a certain fundamental rightness to them that very few automobiles have.

Once again Dave, you are knocking one out of the park IMO. I always fantasized over a completely loaded 124 wagon, Sportline if available (not a dealbreaker for me on the wagon, they are fine even without it), pearl gray, black velour, and the 606 turbo. I would have signed any amount of payment book and I would still have the car now...

Maui
09-14-2014, 08:53 PM
The E320's will provide me with great learning tools. I feel more comfortable tearing into ten then I do the 500E. Not sure why. Of course the 500E is pretty much flawless.

The funny thing is that after building my Bronco stroker I told myself I was done doing major automotive work and was just going to be happy with a stellar 500E and the SL. Apparently I over estimated myself. I guess the feeling of accomplishment is just too overwhelming to over come.

Dave, I don't see the wagon in your profile. :124:

Klink
09-14-2014, 08:57 PM
There is no comparison between the 500E and the E320 but I could drive either of the E320's and enjoy it. I bought the sedan thinking I would strip it. After driving it and going over it I'm leaning toward fixing the trainee and driving it. The black leather interior is choice and the exterior will buff out very nicely.

The E320 sedan has zero leaks but the wagon reminds me of the Exon Valdez. The sedan engine is very clean including the power steering pump. Nearly all the bolts on the oil pan and transmission pan were lose on the wagon so I tightened them up a bit and seemed to help. The brake wear light flickers on the wagon but the brakes feel firm. Both engines run very well. Both cars are northwest cars. So far I have found zero rust on either of them. :nobmw:

Ken, my apologies on your confirmed illness. You should start planning now to make room for additional 124's. When two are left alone overnight, they can get romantic, and next thing you know a third will suddenly appear. I expect you will have a fourth by the end of the year. Sadly, there is no known cure... and please don't ask how many have followed me home...

Once again, this was as predictable as Armageddon...

BTW, Ken. I bet that you "fixed" a couple of "trainees" in your time. :otsos:

Maui
09-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Once again, this was as predictable as Armageddon...

BTW, Ken. I bet that you "fixed" a couple of "trainees" in your time. https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/03/8.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

I fixed a few back in the day when I was rockin' and rollin' the old bass guitar. https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/03/8.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

gsxr
09-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Dave, I don't see the wagon in your profile. :124:
I'm running out of room in forum signatures for all the cars which keep showing up around here. Click here (http://www.w124performance.com/images/cars/95_E320_wagon/) for pics of our new wagon... go back one directory to see most of our current fleet (minus the black 92, which was sold last spring to a forum member). Note that several are parts cars, btw!!

Klink
09-14-2014, 09:08 PM
I fixed a few back in the day when I was rockin' and rollin' the old bass guitar. https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/03/8.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Oh, man! Since you were "in the band", I edited to the correct smiley. Not even Race Ramps compare to the "social lubricity" of that... :jono:

Maui
09-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm running out of room in forum signatures for all the cars which keep showing up around here. Click here (http://www.w124performance.com/images/cars/95_E320_wagon/) for pics of our new wagon... go back one directory to see most of our current fleet (minus the black 92, which was sold last spring to a forum member). Note that several are parts cars, btw!!

I really, really want a white E320T with black leather interior. The black one sort of fell into my lap but it won't be my last.

:jelmerian2:

Maui
09-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Oh, man! Since you were "in the band", I edited to the correct smiley. Not even Race Ramps compare to the "social lubricity" of that... :jono:

I wish I had some pictures of those days but sadly I don't. Hair down to the middle of my back and a party every night. Good memories but eventually you have to grow up.

Ascension
09-14-2014, 09:44 PM
I wish I had some pictures of those days but sadly I don't. Hair down to the middle of my back and a party every night. Good memories but eventually you have to grow up.

I can relate but refused to "grow up" and quit playing!!
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/09/160.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rutledri/media/scan0001.jpg.html)
From 2012 and still playing a Marshall and one of the old Carvins from the hair band days.
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/09/162.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rutledri/media/Redigging%20Thewells%20Sept%2015%202012/DSCN0204.jpg.html)
For the last 40+ years till I cut the pad off my left ring finger tip 2 weeks ago and had to have it sewn back on I have been gigging about 3 nights a week somewhere!
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/08/307.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rutledri/media/DSCN1074_zpsf06eb151.jpg.html)

Maui
09-14-2014, 09:50 PM
I had a beautiful Travis Bean Hawaiian Koa Wood bass. It got ripped off one night after playing a little pub in N Ca. I was crushed. That pretty much ended it for me.

gerryvz
09-14-2014, 09:53 PM

70K miles on it.

I'm sure Gerry knows what I mean going from the wagon to his 036G-wagen --> Wagon --> 036 OYYYYYY !!!!!

Klink
09-14-2014, 09:58 PM
I can relate but refused to "grow up" and quit playing!!
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2014/09/159.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rutledri/media/scan0001.jpg.html)
From 2012 and still playing a Marshall and one of the old Carvins from the hair band days.

For the last 40+ years till I cut the pad off my left ring finger tip 2 weeks ago and had to have it sewn back on I have been gigging about 3 nights a week somewhere!

Damn! Careful with the paws, bro! Hope you didn't do that working on the 124.

The picture brought back memories here, too. That Ric bass reminded me that I wish I still had the Gibson EB3 and the Marshall 100 / 4X12 set up that I had BITD. Both were new in '73. Traded them in on instruments for my son when flat broke in the 80's. They were absolutely like new. I know, don't remind me...

Klink
09-14-2014, 10:03 PM
I had a beautiful Travis Bean Hawaiian Koa Wood bass. It got ripped off one night after playing a little pub in N Ca. I was crushed. That pretty much ended it for me.

Hurts just hearing about that!

Maui
09-21-2014, 06:57 PM
I started parting out the 1994 E320 Sedan today. I felt bad dismantling the car but the value of the parts far out weighs what I paid for the car and cost for a new transmission just doesn't make sense for a car that would just sit in the driveway, not to mention adding another car to the insurance policy.

I will be swapping the engine from the sedan into the wagon along with as much of the interior as possible.

May she RIP.

:tumble:

gsxr
09-21-2014, 08:34 PM
:runexe:

Maui
09-22-2014, 07:12 PM
The three amigos.

gerryvz
09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Hoo boy .... have you ever got a bad case of "the fever." :mushroom:

I hope you get well. :tvhappy:

Klink
09-22-2014, 07:33 PM
The three amigos.

The E-bola virus. At least it isn't fatal...

Maui
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't understand they just keep multiplying. :banana:

gsxr
09-22-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't understand they just keep multiplying. :banana:
I have the same problem with mine. Even if you try to segregate them, they sneak out and copulate while you're sleeping, next thing you know ANOTHER one appears. They're like rabbits!

:hiding:

gerryvz
09-22-2014, 08:43 PM
I have the same problem with mine. Even if you try to segregate them, they sneak out and copulate while you're sleeping, next thing you know ANOTHER one appears. They're like rabbits!

:hiding:In Dave's case, the parents that begat his brood were W123s and VW Dashers......

Maui
09-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Pretty soon I'm going to have to start parking them in the front yard.

Klink
09-22-2014, 08:58 PM
In Dave's case, the parents that begat his brood were W123s and VW Dashers......

That would be some strange looking children! Noisy, smelly, and slow too, for that matter. Was Dave a
"Diesel Hipster" before it was hip? It seems so...
:stickpoke:

gerryvz
09-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Dave is a member of Generation Y, and yes, that is squarely the "Diesel Hipster" generation. Dave only partially fits the description; he discovered the M119 cars and that interest veered him away from a non-returnable descent into 123/124 diesel Hipsterism. Luckily he never caught the most virulent strain of it .. the dreaded "veggie diesel" or "fatty diesel" hipsterism.

Boise is quite close to Portland/Seattle, which are the meccas of Diesel Hipsterism, though, so he still has some proximity & linkages to it all. Not to mention an Uncle in Bellingham, WA (http://www.mercedessource.com), who makes quite a good living from supplying cheap parts to Diesel Hipsters. I keep trying to get him to move down here to Texas, the land of cheap gas, wide open spaces, low cost of living, and the country's highest speed limits, but the pull of the Hipster Northwest remains too great..... :rofl:

Maui
09-23-2014, 08:24 AM
People Mag says McKinney (http://time.com/money/collection/best-places-to-live/), TX is the best place to live in the entire USA.

gerryvz
09-23-2014, 08:45 AM
People Mag says McKinney (http://time.com/money/collection/best-places-to-live/), TX is the best place to live in the entire USA.That's a nice northern suburb of Dallas ... more the territory of txbrit, texas993, samiam44 and alabassi.

gsxr
09-23-2014, 08:49 AM
In Dave's case, the parents that begat his brood were W123s and VW Dashers......
No, the Dashers replicated unto themselves (5 total, not all at one time though).

The W124's Adam & Eve were the 300E and 300D. The diesel thing was primarily due to smog exemption in CA where I was living at the time, along with the M119 variants being way, way out of my price range (the 87 300D's were <$10k at the time, 400E's were $30k+, 500E's might as well have been a million dollars.) Once the M119's depreciated enough, the ROI swung in their favor. MB helped this by not importing any 603 turbos in the 124 after 1987... my fleet may have turned out differently if MB would have imported .133/.193's through 1995, sadly those were only sold in Europe. Stupid EPA regs!

:oldman:

Maui
09-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Christmas in September. New shoes, H&R springs and assorted parts for the wagon project.

gsxr
09-23-2014, 07:01 PM
You sure know how to build suspense, Ken. What are the wheels!!?

:blink:

Glen
09-23-2014, 07:05 PM

And why do you have so many blower motors sitting there? Lol

Maui
09-23-2014, 07:07 PM

BBS

Glen, I hoard blower motors.

gsxr
09-23-2014, 07:18 PM
OK, I see BBS now. SWEET! What is the size & offset? Any idea of the weight? BBS generally tend to be on the light side.

Maui
09-23-2014, 07:37 PM
OK, I see BBS now. SWEET! What is the size & offset? Any idea of the weight? BBS generally tend to be on the light side.

18" x 8.5" ET 32. Not sure on the weight but they are definitely light.

gsxr
09-23-2014, 07:43 PM
18" x 8.5" ET 32. Not sure on the weight but they are definitely light.
FYI: Those are a VERY aggressive fitment for the wagon (or any 124 besides the E500E). You can make 'em fit, but it will take some work... fender spacers, fender lip rolling, careful tire selection, etc.

This doc shows what you need to do, ignore the 17" diameter and tire sizes, the width and offset are what matter:
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/wheel_install_17x8.5_ET30.pdf

That is gonna be one badass wagon...

Maui
09-23-2014, 07:47 PM
They came off Jeff's wagon. No mods necessary.

gsxr
09-23-2014, 09:16 PM
LOL. Let us know how that works out.

:3gears:

Maui
09-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Got the BBS wheels mounted up with a set of Michelin AS/3's 225-40-18. Hopefully next weekend I'll be installing the H&R springs and new Bilstein struts if my spring compressor arrives. Also moved the leather seats over from the E320 sedan. She's starting to take shape. Someone butchered the radio wiring so I'm going to have to piece it back together to reinstall a stock radio.

KarlC
09-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Look great so far, needs more low, fender spacers and likly some rolled lips after the H&Rs.

Maui
09-27-2014, 04:40 PM
I think it can easily drop 1-1/2" without issue. The wheels are a little wider than stock but almost the same overall height. If the fenders need to be rolled I can handle that. I think it needs a surf board for the roof.
:bnb:

Maui
10-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Spent about five hours today installing H&R front springs, struts and brakes on the wagon. I have not put the wheels back on yet so I don't know how much lower it is.

First time doing a spring change on a Merc. Not a fun job especially by yourself. :wine:(whine)

Maui
10-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Front H&R springs and bilstein struts. It will be a couple weeks before I can tackle the rear springs and brakes. Heading to Seattle to Lemay Museum for a special dinner next weekend. Boxes in the back are the remainder of the black leather interior that just arrived.

Maui
10-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Had the opportunity to spend some time behind the wheel of the 500E this week. Always a thrill and never a disappointment. Received some nice compliments on the car as well.

Maui
10-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Attended a charity event at the Lemay auto museum last night. I bought four $5 tickets for an iPad drawing and could not believe it when they called my ticket!

gerryvz
10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
You can access the forum on an iPhone or iPad using the free Tapatalk software. Works well. Congrats on the win.

My wife and I attended the Cattle Baron's Ball last night, which was quite an event. It was a benefit for the American Cancer Society.

The LeMay Museum is all right, but I prefer the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles, as well as numerous other museums in Germany and France that I've been to. LeMay is way too focused on US cars for my taste. But, I guess somebody's got to.... A very very close friend of my parents is current chairman of the board of the LeMay and was a founder of that museum. I also have met Corry numerous times.

Cheers,
Gerry

Glen
10-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Very cool, Ken. It's always fun to win stuff! :applause:

samiam44
10-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Love the BBS RC wheels sweet!

Michael

Maui
10-12-2014, 03:31 PM
You can access the forum on an iPhone or iPad using the free Tapatalk software. Works well. Congrats on the win.

My wife and I attended the Cattle Baron's Ball last night, which was quite an event. It was a benefit for the American Cancer Society.

The LeMay Museum is all right, but I prefer the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles, as well as numerous other museums in Germany and France that I've been to. LeMay is way too focused on US cars for my taste. But, I guess somebody's got to.... A very very close friend of my parents is current chairman of the board of the LeMay and was a founder of that museum. I also have met Corry numerous times.

Cheers,
Gerry

The Museum is centered around the Lemay collection with quite a few loaner cars as well. The Lemay's were definitely into American metal but they have quite few foreign cars. The Mercedes collection is very limited but they did sponsor a tribute to the pagoda a year or so ago. Being a lover of all cars I enjoy myself at just about any museum. Last night's charity event was for an organization founded by the American water works association called "Water for people". They go into remote third world areas and work with the locals and local government to development clean permanent water sources. They believe in helping with a hand up but will not finance a water system unless the residents and local government pay the lion's share. They understand that if you don't have skin in the game you won't take responsibility to maintain the system. I donate time and funds to the organization. They've assisted and coordinated in the development of hundreds of small water systems throughout the world and been instrumental in providing clean water and sanitation systems to millions of people. Something we take for granted but many people around the world spend hours each day fetching water that we would not even consider drinkable. It's a good cause and relates to my occupation.

Maui
10-12-2014, 09:38 PM
We took the R230 to Seattle as much as I wanted to take 500E the threat of bad weather and having to park it out in front of the hotel for the night held me back. The R230 is a wonderful cruiser though. The car weaves in and out of traffic like a champ. Averaged about 80 mph and hit the century mark a few times. Love the car.

Maui
10-18-2014, 01:21 PM
I want to repaint the silver lettering on my 500E engine cover. Is there is a factory paint available?

2phast
10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
I want to repaint the silver lettering on my 500E engine cover. Is there is a factory paint available?

There is a template that is put over the airbox and the silver paint is sprayed on. If your going to do it yourself, a paint brush is going to be the best method. You can find silver paint at most auto parts stores. I used a chrome paint, which really isn't chrome but is pretty shiny. I don't know if it matches the OE silver paint though, as I didn't bother to compare.

As to your original question, no there isn't a silver sold specifically for the letters.

Hollybrook
10-18-2014, 03:58 PM
There is a template that is put over the airbox and the silver paint is sprayed on.

Where can you get the template?

sheward
10-18-2014, 05:12 PM
I use a Testors silver paint stick to touch up the letters. It makes the job easy and matches very well.

drew

Maui
10-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Picture of the Wagon with EVO II wheels. I think they will have there place in the outfit.

Still need to install the rear H&R springs and adjust the height.

2phast
10-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Where can you get the template?

I am sure it was something custom made by the company that built the airboxes.

Hollybrook
10-19-2014, 09:19 AM
I am sure it was something custom made by the company that built the airboxes.

OK, I misunderstood that there might be a template available today that could be used to restore the paint. I guess you could mask with tape, but it would probably be easier to hand paint carefully with a brush like you did.

Roma_500E
10-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Picture of the Wagon with EVO II wheels. I think they will have there place in the outfit.

Still need to install the rear H&R springs and adjust the height.

Where did you get chrome Evo II ? I think they are pretty rare ? Looks stunnig especially on black cars !

Maui
10-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Where did you get chrome Evo II ? I think they are pretty rare ? Looks stunnig especially on black cars !

I don't think these came from MB with chrome. They came off a 1998 CLK320.

Roma_500E
10-19-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't think these came from MB with chrome. They came off a 1998 CLK320 .

That is weird , anyway looks cool !

2phast
10-19-2014, 03:28 PM
You can try Wheel Collision Center, they have them listed but not in chrome for $265 each

http://www.wheelcollision.com/mec010.htm

gsxr
10-19-2014, 04:57 PM
MB has never offered chrome wheels from the factory, AFAIK. However, MB dealerships would install chrome wheels per customer requests. There can be issues with chrome, particularly if it starts to deteriorate where the tire bead seats, resulting in slow air leaks that are difficult to fix.

:seesaw:

gerryvz
10-19-2014, 05:46 PM
MB has never offered chrome wheels from the factory, AFAIK. However, MB dealerships would install chrome wheels per customer requests. There can be issues with chrome, particularly if it starts to deteriorate where the tire bead seats, resulting in slow air leaks that are difficult to fix.

:seesaw:+1

MB has never offered factory chromed wheels. In fact, they are illegal in Germany for several reasons.

When you see chrome wheels on a Benz in the US, almost 100% guaranteed it's a dealer "aftermarket" option or something that someone purchased after the fact. Seems that around 90% of chromed wheels are found on cars that originated in SoCal and Florida, with a few in NorCal.

My E500 had chrome stockers on it (originally NorCal car) as did my 560SEL (original SoCal car) and my 450SEL 6.9 (original SoCal car). Don't like them ... never have, never will.

albdentist
10-19-2014, 07:29 PM
+1 yeah agree ... not even Crager's on muscle cars....

Maui
10-26-2014, 05:26 PM
+1 yeah agree ... not even Crager's on muscle cars....

Chrome wheels on "some" muscle cars is just appropriate as SL600 wheels on 500E. I had a 1970 Chevelle SS396 that looked absolutely perfect with chrome coke bottle mags and I have a shelf full of trophies, so I guess other folks felt the same way. I also think dufur's car looks great with the chome wheels. It's matter of taste. I've decided I like the BBS better on the wagon so they are back on the car. I'll hang on to the EVO's for when I feel like I need a change of pace.

Busy weekend for the wagon. Finished my brake job, installed the black leather interior, and replaced a missing window regulator.

Maui
12-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I am curious if any of the mono blocks will fit on a w124 wagon without spacers. I've seen pictures of wagons with them but wondering which models would be good donors.

J-Sauce
12-24-2014, 02:58 PM
I have the c36 monoblocks on my wagon and they fit without issue. I choose to run square tires to avoid rubbing in back, although the wheels are staggered. Tires are 225/45. I had 245/40 on my old 300E, but they would occasionally rub until I rolled the fenders. I wanted to avoid doing that on my wagon.

gerryvz
12-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Having a great time right now with Maui with some tasty Cubans & Portland brewed IPAs.... Merry Christmas !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maw1124
12-24-2014, 07:05 PM
My President is making it easier for me to replenish my selection. I think tomorrow it shall be a Bolivar Royal Corona.

Cheers, Gents. Smoke 'em if you got'em.

maw

Maui
12-24-2014, 09:22 PM
It was great to see you again my friend. Gerry even got to ride in the $500 wagon.
If you decide to come back early from Seattle I have a couple projects you can work on. :lolzz:

Merry Christmas. :cheers1:

Maui
12-24-2014, 09:30 PM
My President is making it easier for me to replenish my selection. I think tomorrow it shall be a Bolivar Royal Corona.

Cheers, Gents. Smoke 'em if you got'em.

maw

We enjoyed Monte 2's and Partagas Shorts today.

Maui
02-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I drove a 2011 E550 4matic today. The car was stunning and had damn near every option including night vision, distronic plus, headrest monitors, ortho front seat, lane reminders, etc. I have never seen an E class with this many options. Beautiful black on black. What amazed me is the original window sticker was in the glove box and MSRP was $79,000! A 1992 500E with non of that stuff was $79,000. How the hell do they put all that stuff in the 2011 for the same price as the 1992?

gerryvz
02-03-2015, 08:42 PM
What amazed me is the original window sticker was in the glove box and MSRP was $79,000! A 1992 500E with non of that stuff was $79,000. How the hell do they put all that stuff in the 2011 for the same price as the 1992?Hi Ken,

For one thing, cars such as the W124 and the W126 were made with more "discrete" components, meaning that each assembly was made of a bunch of individual parts that were put together with a fair bit of labor and precision.

Today's cars are much more integrated, and the sub-assemblies are much larger and just snap together like legos.

The downside to that is when one small part breaks, such as a window switch, you have to buy the entire switch assembly (or get it used) with associated mechanicals and electronic logic, which is going to run hundreds of dollars if not more. With a 124, if you break a window switch, it's a $20-30 electro-mechanical part, or $3.00 used at a wrecking yard.

The cost of the labor to assemble a current-generation E-class is MUCH less than it would have been for our cars, or for better comparison, say for a pedestrian 1992 300E sedan in US spec.

Plus ... $79,000 in 1992 for a 500E would be $125,000 today.

$79,000 today is equal to $50,000 in 1992 ... which is almost exactly equal to the $49,800 MSRP that a 300E cost back then. Interesting.

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. That amount of inflation is scary since that is just around the same time that I started my career....I think I would be depressed to see what my inflation adjusted salary is now vs. back then.....

Maui
02-03-2015, 08:53 PM
I am considering this E550 to replace my wife's Lexus. Very nice car but would only consider it with a healthy warranty.

Klink
02-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I am considering this E550 to replace my wife's Lexus. Very nice car but would only consider it with a healthy warranty.

Cheaper to keep, and easier to own then any comparable new 124 would've been over 10 years from new, if such a car even existed. Doubly so if it would've been a four-wheel-drive 124. Get the warranty, especially if it's reasonably priced, but don't sweat the car.

Far and away the most important question is, Did the wife like it? NEVER underestimate the importance of that one...

Stevester 500E
02-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Ken,

My gut feeling is that you seem to get a lot more luxury for your money these days.
However, there are a lot of factors and the time frames are important to consider. I think a simple analysis doesn't always work. There are a lot of factors.

Heck not many years before the flat screen TV came out, I had bought a bulky boob tube tv. My wages didn't change too much for a few years. Then a few years later I bought a flat screen and I felt like I got a lot more tv for my money.

So I am calling out all those folks out there who purchased a .036 off the lot and who have also recently purchase the somewhat equivalent vehicle. What are your opinions, more car for your money?

Stevester 500E
02-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Gosh darn it, a gallon of milk has doubled, but my wages haven't doubled !

But heck, at least now a my car comes standard with cup holders !

maw1124
02-03-2015, 10:08 PM
I drove a 2011 E550 4matic today. The car was stunning and had damn near every option including night vision, distronic plus, headrest monitors, ortho front seat, lane reminders, etc. I have never seen an E class with this many options. Beautiful black on black. What amazed me is the original window sticker was in the glove box and MSRP was $79,000! A 1992 500E with non of that stuff was $79,000. How the hell do they put all that stuff in the 2011 for the same price as the 1992?

They've designed it for, and recouped the cost in, the last few generations of SClasses. After that is done, they just pass it down the line. The more cars they can pass the technology into, the better. So nothing in its class can complete win the E, nothing in its class can compete with the C, nothing in its class can compete with the A, you get the picture. You can't design build that technology for an $80k car and be competitive. But when you have a $200k flagship to recoup the cost in, now you're cooking with gas. The next couple generations of E, SL, and eventually C class cars will have "magic ride" from the W222 chassis S, or maybe the hot V engine from Formula 1, or some combination of technology throughout the model line that no other competitor can touch. It's part of the reason I just cannot buy a car from a company with no racing heritage -- I know how the technology moves into production.

I've thought for some time that strategy really plays out in full force with our 500E cars. When I realize how many "discreet" (good word, GVZ) components in the car were really from the flagship 140 and 129 cars, this car was moderately priced at $80k then. It's basically an SClass quality car (interior especially) on SL running gear, ingeniously packed into an EClass body by Porsche. So while it was more expensive than the M5 of it's day, it was simply WAY more car.

Just my theory. I might be completely wrong.

Cheers,

maw

Maui
02-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Cheaper to keep, and easier to own then any comparable new 124 would've been over 10 years from new, if such a car even existed. Doubly so if it would've been a four-wheel-drive 124. Get the warranty, especially if it's reasonably priced, but don't sweat the car.

Far and away the most important question is, Did the wife like it? NEVER underestimate the importance of that one...

My wife would be happy with a striped down Subaru Justy.

Klink
02-03-2015, 10:14 PM
My wife would be happy with a striped down Subaru Justy.

Sounds like a true "Keeper"! (The wife, not the Justy, just in case I wasn't clear...)

Klink
02-03-2015, 10:18 PM
They've designed it for, and recouped the cost in, the last few generations of SClasses. After that is done, they just pass it down the line. The more cars they can pass the technology into, the better. So nothing in its class can complete win the E, nothing in its class can compete with the C, nothing in its class can compete with the A, you get the picture. You can't design build that technology for an $80k car and be competitive. But when you have a $200k flagship to recoup the cost in, now you're cooking with gas.

I've thought for some time that strategy really plays out in full force with our 500E cars. When I realize how many "discreet" (good word, GVZ) components in the car were really from the flagship 140 and 129 cars, this car was moderately priced at $80k then. It's basically an SClass quality car (interior especially) on SL running gear, ingeniously packed into an EClass body by Porsche. So while it was more expensive than the M5 of it's day, it was simply WAY more car.

Just my theory. I might be completely wrong.

Cheers,

maw

Nope! You're not wrong. Everything you've got there is exactly what happens. What has changed is how quickly the newer features and tech are passed down line. It used to take a chassis generation. Often nowadays, it is only a model year or two. :jono:

Stevester 500E
02-03-2015, 11:19 PM
A lot of great points.
The only thing I would disagree on a little is on the interior of the 500e.
I think the interior is more of a w124 interior.
The baseball stitched seats also came in the w124 sportline models and they don't resemble the R129 or the w140 seats.
The w140 headliner doesn't look like the w124.
I think the w140 interior is a little more elegant in some ways.

QUOTE=Klink;93277]Sounds like a true "Keeper"! (The wife, not the Justy, just in case I wasn't clear...)[/QUOTE]

maw1124
02-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Nope! You're not wrong. Everything you've got there is exactly what happens. What has changed is how quickly the newer features and tech are passed down line. It used to take a chassis generation. Often nowadays, it is only a model year or two. :jono:

I agree, Klink. I think that has to do with the fact that now the innovations are more electronic than mechanical.

And to continue the point Stevester, when I was comparing the interior, I'm more dealing with the controls and systems than the seats, carpet and headliner. For example, the seat controller and memory, door lock mechanisms, cruise control stalks, etc., things that are shared with the SClasses both before and after the W124.

I'm not the Mercedes historian that Klink is (or some of you are) but I recognize how much of that stuff goes back to the 70s SClasses. 70s, not 80s or 90s. Another example is the ECU with WOT enrichment, which I'm almost sure was a 140 car innovation that found its way into this car.

maw

gerryvz
02-04-2015, 07:45 AM
The basic interior layout of the S-class actually changed very little from the advent of the W116 in 1972, up to the end of W140 production in what, 1999? I'm talking about the center console design, and basic placement of key controls.

The E-class starting with the 123 also generally followed this pattern up through the W210. The W124 especially was very similar to the 116 and 126 in its center console design/layout.

W116

W126

W140

W123

W124

W210

maw1124
02-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Sitting behind the wheel of my W220 S55 feels eerily similar to the W124 500E -- the cruise control stalk, seat controls, light controls, rear vanity shade controls -- not only are they in the same place, they feel like the same controls and underlying systems, just slightly improved through evolution. Or maybe they're just not 22 years old, that's how subtle the difference is -- they may be the same, just newer. But the similarity is strange even. People get in them and say, "this one feels..." and I'm like, "just like the other one, I know. It's weird."

maw

Maui
02-12-2015, 08:31 AM
I bit the bullet and replaced my wife's Lexus hybrid with a 2011 E550 4matic. Very nice car with a lot of power. We considered two cars, one was loaded with every option non-CPO but my wife did not like the black color so we opted for a lesser optioned palladium silver with black interior CPO car. It was delivered new in March 2012 so it has a little over a year of factory warranty and the CPO adds another year to that. We also received $1200 in service over the next two years and oil changes for as long as we now the car. I'll get a picture posted in the coming days.

gerryvz
02-12-2015, 08:40 AM
I bit the bullet and replaced my wife's Lexus hybrid with a 2011 E550 4matic. Very nice car with a lot of power. We considered two cars, one was loaded with every option non-CPO but my wife did not like the black color so we opted for a lesser optioned palladium silver with black interior CPO car. It was delivered new in March 2012 so it has a little over a year of factory warranty and the CPO adds another year to that. We also received $1200 in service over the next two years and oil changes for as long as we now the car. I'll get a picture posted in the coming days.congrats !!

Roma_500E
02-12-2015, 10:45 AM
I bit the bullet and replaced my wife's Lexus hybrid with a 2011 E550 4matic. Very nice car with a lot of power. We considered two cars, one was loaded with every option non-CPO but my wife did not like the black color so we opted for a lesser optioned palladium silver with black interior CPO car. It was delivered new in March 2012 so it has a little over a year of factory warranty and the CPO adds another year to that. We also received $1200 in service over the next two years and oil changes for as long as we now the car. I'll get a picture posted in the coming days.

Congrats !

It would be interesting to hear your opinion on this car cuz it is exactly what I have just the color difference.

What options you got on yours ?

Does it come with sport package (AMG package) ?

Maui
02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
It has the AMG sport package. That motor flies. It will walk all over the SL500. I'm a four E class owner now.

Bahnstormer
02-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Looks like we have twin 500e's. Here's mine...

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/images/imported/2015/02/136.jpg (http://s39.photobucket.com/user/IlluminatingConcepts/media/500e/ad0d67ed-291e-4542-ab48-97cff64f9384.jpg.html)

KarlC
02-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Looks like we have twin 500e's. Here's mine...

We need to start a show me your 040 thread !

Glen
02-14-2015, 10:35 AM
We need to start a show me your 040 thread !

Make it so, Karl [emoji3]

Maui
02-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Looks great.

Maui
02-15-2015, 05:19 PM
I introduced the E's to each other today. I think they make a nice pair. Sorry for the cell phone quality pics.

Maui
02-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Second round pf pics.

Trae
02-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Ken,

Absolutely beautiful cars. That 040 really pops and shines!

Maui
02-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Fun times ahead. Just waiting on WRX brake lines. :agree:

gerryvz
02-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Oooohhhh...the sight of those LCAs just made my wallet jump off my desk and run into the other room.....

Maui
02-22-2015, 11:22 AM
After one week with the E550 I am happy to report it is a great automobile. The best way to describe it is "smooth". This is my first car with paddle shifters so I am just getting the hang of them. When you want a little boost of energy just pull the left paddle and the power that has been waiting politely and understated suddenly comes to life and reminds you that this car can move. It may look like your grandpa's MB but it is very quick when called on. Sport mode forces the car to start in first gear which will throw your head back into the headrest with not that much pressure on the gas peddle. The Harman Kardon stereo is superb with iPod connection. The nav and command system is very intuitive and easy to operate. I'm not a fan of the current command system lay out that looks like an after thought sticking up out of the dash. The nav system in the R230 took longer to set a way point than it did to reach your destination. This one looks at home in the dash with great graphics and I love the hand control pod in the console.

So far I have a short list negatives, 1) You have to hold the memory button until the seat, mirror and steering column are completely in position (that should be a one touch affair), 2) The rear park assist light bar is not very obvious on the headliner above the rear windshield 3), The gearing could be a bit more aggressive but Sport mode and paddles kind of fix that and 4) I don't get to drive it enough since this is my wife's DD.

:v8:

J-Sauce
02-23-2015, 10:19 PM
1) You have to hold the memory button until the seat, mirror and steering column are completely in position (that should be a one touch affair)

I was told this is a safety feature. God forbid your ankle is bent the wrong way, or you finger is in the wrong place while everything is moving. A quick release of the button will bring everything to a stop as opposed to if you had moved your hand away from the switch and can't find/reach it while some extremely is being crushed. The same reason many cars do not have one touch up on windows other than the driver's.

Klink
02-23-2015, 10:26 PM
I was told this is a safety feature. God forbid your ankle is bent the wrong way, or you finger is in the wrong place while everything is moving. A quick release of the button will bring everything to a stop as opposed to if you had moved your hand away from the switch and can't find/reach it while some extremely is being crushed. The same reason many cars do not have one touch up on windows other than the driver's.

We were always told that safety was the reason, despite customers wishing that it was one touch. The consideration gets more focus when one considers kids and critters, too. And on the topic of windows, note that we didn't have one touch up windows until they came up with the speed monitored auto reverse, first fitted to W/V 140.

Klink
02-23-2015, 10:29 PM
After one week with the E550 I am happy to report it is a great automobile. The best way to describe it is "smooth". This is my first car with paddle shifters so I am just getting the hang of them. When you want a little boost of energy just pull the left paddle and the power that has been waiting politely and understated suddenly comes to life and reminds you that this car can move. It may look like your grandpa's MB but it is very quick when called on. Sport mode forces the car to start in first gear which will throw your head back into the headrest with not that much pressure on the gas peddle. The Harman Kardon stereo is superb with iPod connection. The nav and command system is very intuitive and easy to operate. I'm not a fan of the current command system lay out that looks like an after thought sticking up out of the dash. The nav system in the R230 took longer to set a way point than it did to reach your destination. This one looks at home in the dash with great graphics and I love the hand control pod in the console.

So far I have a short list negatives, 1) You have to hold the memory button until the seat, mirror and steering column are completely in position (that should be a one touch affair), 2) The rear park assist light bar is not very obvious on the headliner above the rear windshield 3), The gearing could be a bit more aggressive but Sport mode and paddles kind of fix that and 4) I don't get to drive it enough since this is my wife's DD.

Thanks Ken! I love it when someone reports that new cars don't all suck, and yours certainly doesn't. Great color combo, too.

Maui
02-23-2015, 11:05 PM

I guess that makes sense. I could not imagine sitting in the driver's seat and accidentally hitting my wife's memory button. I would be crushed between the seat and the steering wheel.

Maui
02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Gerry, I tried to respond to your PM but it said your box is full.

Maui
03-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Saw this at a cars and coffee I attended a couple weeks ago. It has a VW motor and meaty rear tires. It has a a very high power to weight ratio.

Melville
03-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Congrats on the E550. Same year, color combo and original warranty time left as the car I got a few months ago. It always blows my mind when I sit in a "regular" car and I remember how nice of an environment the E550 is.

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but take a look to see if the interior wood trim in your car is faded. Klink kindly gave me a tip to check that out and I saw that it was faded in my car. A common issue in earlier W212s and, if still under the original warranty, MB will replace it free of charge. I didn't notice that my wood had faded until I knew to notice, and then I couldn't not notice!

vatc5637
03-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Saw this at a cars and coffee I attended a couple weeks ago. It has a VW motor and meaty rear tires. It has a a very high power to weight ratio.

I think that was one of the cars used in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?".

Maui
03-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Is there anyone in Santa Monica that could look at a car for me?

Maui
03-24-2015, 06:19 PM
My $500 wagon has proven its worth today. I believe the head gasket has given way and it is spewing oil way more than it ever has. Funny how the power feels the same but there is definitely oil in the coolant. I've been searching for a better W124 wagon ever since I purchased this one, but I am coming to the conclusion there are none, anywhere, for any price, that could be trusted for any amount of time. :x

I am so bummed out because I really love this car, but I have to ask myself is it worth repairing or putting any more money into?

gsxr
03-24-2015, 06:50 PM
I am so bummed out because I really love this car, but I have to ask myself is it worth repairing or putting any more money into?
Depends on the condition of the car, and how much you like the color combo & options. If it's in nice shape and you like the colors/options, it's probably worth the investment.

If not... then you have to decide what to do with it. Keeping it as a parts car for another wagon would be nice if you have the storage space. Probably not worth much with a blown head gasket.

Maui
03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Depends on the condition of the car, and how much you like the color combo & options. If it's in nice shape and you like the colors/options, it's probably worth the investment.

If not... then you have to decide what to do with it. Keeping it as a parts car for another wagon would be nice if you have the storage space. Probably not worth much with a blown head gasket.

I am sure I could part it out for a lot more than I have into it with black leather interior.

gsxr
03-24-2015, 07:10 PM
If considering buying another wagon... you may want to hang on to it, until you buy the replacement. You may end up swapping over the black leather interior.

:buggin:

TerryA
03-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Ken,

Why don't you try to find a C36 engine for it. Probably be cheaper than starting over. Unless you just want out.

Maui
03-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Just a little depressed because I love these wagons but they hard to find especially a well sorted one.

Ron500E
03-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Just a little depressed because I love these wagons but they hard to find especially a well sorted one.

Look at it this way.... if you do the gasket you will KNOW it's done and that's one less thing to sort out. there's a good chance you will NEVER have to do it again if done right.
I used Gerry's list for parts ordering so mine is now good for another 250K miles, which means it will out live me.
If you buy another wagon you will have no idea as to the condition anyway.

Kind Regards,

Ron

Maui
03-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Look at it this way.... if you do the gasket you will KNOW it's done and that's one less thing to sort out. there's a good chance you will NEVER have to do it again if done right.
I used Gerry's list for parts ordering so mine is now good for another 250K miles, which means it will out live me.
If you buy another wagon you will have no idea as to the condition anyway.

Kind Regards,

Ron

Thanks for the encouragement Ron, but this wagon has other issues that render it unworthy of full restoration. I have been scouring CL literally every day for a replacement for months. I've been lucky enough to have a couple people look at some in So Cal for me and I've traveled to Seattle to look at a few. A nice one is difficult find. I may expand my search to later models.

gsxr
03-25-2015, 08:55 AM
A nice one is difficult find. I may expand my search to later models.
If you want to stick with a 124 chassis, you may have to expand your search nationwide... same as shopping for an E500E.

I'd be careful about moving into a later model wagon... 210 chassis is less DIY friendly, the 211 even less so. With either one, plan on buying a Chinese SDS system, as Gerry described in a detailed thread on the forum.

:matrix:

Maui
03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
I have been looking nationwide to an extent. Midwest and Northeast are out of the question due to salt. For whatever reason I do see quite a few cars come up for sale in Florida.

captruff
03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Ron, but this wagon has other issues that render it unworthy of full restoration. I have been scouring CL literally every day for a replacement for months. I've been lucky enough to have a couple people look at some in So Cal for me and I've traveled to Seattle to look at a few. A nice one is difficult find. I may expand my search to later models.

Ken:

Have you seen this one??

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4947380117.html

Jeff

Maui
03-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Ken:

Have you seen this one??

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4947380117.html

Jeff

I did see that one. The owner describes it as mint but look at the few from the front. The panels below the headlights are in very bad shape which makes me question what else is "mint" on it. But thanks for posting and let me know if you see any others.

The market for these is very strange. Here is one with 79k miles on ebay that did not sell for $7900 so they relisted it for $8500. :doh:

gerryvz
03-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Plusone - just rebuild the top end. It's not that big of a job, and requires only 2-3 special tools, all inexpensive. Bearing Service in the Pearl can take care of the head refirb, they are a couple of blocks from Powell's. All you have to do is remove and reinstall it. It's not a bad job on a 104.

Plus, some wannabe, unhinged-troll, ignorant DIY mechanic did a write-up on this site on how to do the job.

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui
03-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Plusone - just rebuild the top end. It's not that big of a job, and requires only 2-3 special tools, all inexpensive. Bearing Service in the Pearl can take care of the head refirb, they are a couple of blocks from Powell's. All you have to do is remove and reinstall it. It's not a bad job on a 104.

Plus, some wannabe, unhinged-troll, ignorant DIY mechanic did a write-up on this site on how to do the job.

Cheers,
Gerry

I have been reviewing that unhinged troll's write up and most likely will do the repair myself. The priority level has dropped significantly as I won't be needing to drive this car as a DD.

Trae
03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Lead the way Ken.

I will not be far behind with my M104 head gasket replacement.

Maui
03-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Lead the way Ken.

I will not be far behind with my M104 head gasket replacement.

Gerry led the way with his outstanding DIY. I am not gong to rush into this because I continue to look for a better specimen and the car runs very well.

gerryvz
03-25-2015, 07:21 PM
I'd say it can be done as a six-week job, taking a couple of hours per night on the week nights (maybe 3-4 nights a week) and a few more hours on the weekends. It's significantly less work with one cylinder head than it is with the M117 (or M119) having two heads to mess with. The good thing is that the M104 has an iron block, so you're much less likely than with the M117 to strip out head bolt threads in the block, and such. You take your time, and just be persistent and patient, and it goes well. I did a bit of "extra" stuff like the powder-coating of the valve cover and battery trae, and replacing tons of rubber and soft stuff underhood that most people wouldn't bugger around with.

The main thing is to get the factory head gasket, and to seal the front timing cover correctly, with the correct MB goo. You will need the clear goo, the black goo, and the koala-claw orange goo for the cam solenoid.

Ken, it would take Bearing Service about a week to do the cylinder head. They've done many hundreds of M103 and M104 heads, so they know these intimately. Gene was the owner when I lived there, for decades, but his son (I forget his name, but I met him once or twice ... he's around my age) is running the place now. You should go in and talk with them. They'll let you walk around the shop. It's like a walk back in time. When I was in PDX at Christmas I walked over there on my way from my mother-in-law's in the Pearl District (10th & Lovejoy) to the Deschutes Brewery and then the couple of blocks to Powell's, and took some photos in through the window while walking by. Major time warp, but a real gem of Portland. MBI has done business with Bearing Service for close to 50 years now.

Cheers,
Gerry

gsxr
03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Dang, that M104 looks WAY larger when removed from the car.

Maui
03-25-2015, 07:43 PM
My other option is to swap the motor from my parts car. The motor runs well and has no apparent leaks. I had originally planned to do that anyway but who knows how long it would last.

Maui
04-05-2015, 12:42 PM
My center console and ashtray came back from Madera yesterday. They definitely do beautiful work. My ashtray was literally broken across the top because I was ignorant on how to remove the radio from a 1992 car. I assumed all I had to do was insert my removal keys into the slots and pull the radio out the same as the 1994 cars. Lesson learned. The ashtray wood had a big scratch in it anyway so it needed refinishing. The lower console panel had a few hairline cracks. Now they look better then new. I would highly recommend Madera. If Becker Autosound would have provided a working radio I could put it all back together.

Maui
04-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Just an observation since becoming a Merc addict. I've noticed after making road trips in the Merc that my body is not worn out when I reach my destination. Today I had to go down to the coast to do some work on a rental property I own. I drove a Chevy Equinox company car. It's a good four hours round trip. The car wore me out. I was exhausted when I got home. I drove the E550 W212 to Seattle and back a couple weeks ago which is a good six hour drive and when I got home I was ready for another drive. Another reason why I am a Merc owner for life.

s4cruiser
04-14-2015, 08:25 PM
My center console and ashtray came back from Madera yesterday. They definitely do beautiful work. My ashtray was literally broken across the top because I was ignorant on how to remove the radio from a 1992 car. I assumed all I had to do was insert my removal keys into the slots and pull the radio out the same as the 1994 cars. Lesson learned. The ashtray wood had a big scratch in it anyway so it needed refinishing. The lower console panel had a few hairline cracks. Now they look better then new. I would highly recommend Madera. If Becker Autosound would have provided a working radio I could put it all back together.

Madera does do very nice work. The PO of my car had all the wood redone by them and it looks great...makes the car seem that much newer on the inside too!

Maui
04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
I want to make this post for Klink because I know he will appreciate it. I've owned the 2011 E550 for about two months now and I've already put more miles on it than both the 500E's I've owned, which is a little over 3000 miles. I own a fourplex on the Oregon Coast, about two hours from my house. I have made the drive probably 100 times over the last 10 years and it had gotten to the point where I hated it. Since owning the E550 I actually look forward to it. If you haven't driven a newer Merc V8 you owe it to yourself to try one. I also strongly recommend the new 4Matic. It makes this big sedan feel like a sports car on the twisties. It just kills the curves and feels so nimble and solid with very little body roll. For all the cursing I do about and limitle$$ and sometimes puzzling maintenance i$$ues on my W124's the E550 4Matic brings me back to how truly fantastic these cars are made and rekindles my love of Mercedes. Mercedes is the best car in the world.

Klink
04-26-2015, 12:33 PM
I want to make this post for Klink because I know he will appreciate it. I've owned the 2011 E550 for about two months now and I've already put more miles on it than both the 500E's I've owned, which is a little over 3000 miles. I own a fourplex on the Oregon Coast, about two hours from my house. I have made the drive probably 100 times over the last 10 years and it had gotten to the point where I hated it. Since owning the E550 I actually look forward to it. If you haven't driven a newer Merc V8 you owe it to yourself to try one. I also strongly recommend the new 4Matic. It makes this big sedan feel like a sports car on the twisties. It just kills the curves and feels so nimble and solid with very little body roll. For all the cursing I do about and limitle$$ and sometimes puzzling maintenance i$$ues on my W124's the E550 4Matic brings me back to how truly fantastic these cars are made and rekindles my love of Mercedes. Mercedes is the best car in the world.

Thanks, Ken!

Thanks for confirming what I have been saying. The essential MB DNA is still in there. These cars are still designed, and even more importantly, have chassis' tuned and developed by discerning drivers that care.

Thanks again!

Maui
05-08-2015, 07:53 PM
I was shocked today when I left the office to grab some lunch and found another 500E parked on the street. It was a nice looking black pearl car with an AMG emblem on the rear trunk. I'm wondering if the owner is a member here.

The first picture is my car. :D The last picture is the front of my car with the other car across the street.

gsxr
05-08-2015, 08:09 PM
The trunk badge and exhaust tips are pretty unique on the mystery car. Any chance you thought to snap a pic of the VIN while you were there?

:apl:

Maui
05-08-2015, 08:12 PM
The trunk badge and exhaust tips are pretty unique on the mystery car. Any chance you thought to snap a pic of the VIN while you were there?

Sorry but did not even think of snapping a picture of the VIN. :doh:

maw1124
05-08-2015, 08:21 PM
The essential MB DNA is still in there. These cars are still designed, and even more importantly, have chassis' tuned and developed by discerning drivers that care.

Yup. You can certainly pay more, but it's not clear to me you get more car. You might get more prestige, individuality, snob appeal, or other shtuff. But I don't think you get more car. MB just build and incorporate -- design, engineer and build for the S and SL, then move it down the line to the E, the C, and everything else in between.

It's just a tough business model to compete with.

maw

Maui
05-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Got the VIN free from Carfax WDBEA36E3NB755306 from my search it appears the car may have belonged to someone here at one time.

Klink
05-09-2015, 01:03 AM
I was shocked today when I left the office to grab some lunch and found another 500E parked on the street.

Just damn! That's something you don't see every day.
:rogerific:

gerryvz
05-09-2015, 01:05 AM
Yes, this car is in my database. Here is the information that have on this car:

My first record of this auto dates from October, 2005 when the car had 90,651 miles on the odometer. It was advertised on eBay in Portland, OR at that time.

AMG monoblock wheels. Stock stereo. Clear front corner lights. Gray dealer-style cupholder mounted on driver's door (none on passenger door). Looks to have all books and manuals. Listing indicates that car has CARFAX. Aftermarket leather/burl shift knob. Euro headlights and 1994-style headlight wipers installed. Overall looks like a very clean car. Seller is Grand Prix Imports in Wilsonville; their web site reports selling price of $26,900.

UPDATE 11-7-05: Still on AutoTrader, asking $26,950, mileage listed as 90,500

An update to the database is as follows:

UPDATE 9-29-08: Still in the market in Portland for sale according to a post on 500ecstasy.com

Maui
05-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Today was the inaugural Cars and Coffee at the World of Speed Museum (http://www.worldofspeed.org) in Wilsonville, Oregon. I took the 500E out in spite of the bad weather.

I've owned this car since April 2014 and yesterday was the first real road trip it has been on, I took it up to the Columbia River Gorge for couple business meetings. About 120 mile round trip and the car was incredible on the freeway. I have come to learn this car loves speed. Over 80 mph and it is as solid as any car I have ever owned. Just touched the century mark and the car was begging for more.

:nobmw:

sheward
05-16-2015, 09:41 PM
E500Es are so enjoyable to drive at high speeds. Yours is looking stellar, Ken.

drew

Maui
05-30-2015, 06:26 PM
I took the E550 in to the dealership because the passenger side window was making a nasty scratching noise when going up or down. I guess they had to take the door apart and replace some seals. When I dropped it off I mentioned that I had heard there was a bulletin about premature fading of the wood trim in the 2010 and 2011 E's. The service guy said they'd take a look and replace it if was faded. They gave me a brand new 2015 C300 to drive as a loner car. It's a very nice car but that six cylinder is no match for the E550. The entire car just did not have the feel or manners of the E series. I had it for over a week and could not wait to get the V8 back. I told my wife the E feels like a tank, in good way, compared to the C Class. They fixed the window issue and replaced all the wood trim under warranty. I did not realize how much the wood trim had faded until I got the car back. It is amazing how much better it looks and how much more character the wood trim has. Sorry I don't have any before and after pictures. If you have 2010 through 2011 E series you can get the wood trim replaced under warranty. I can't imagine any domestic manufacture doing that, not to mention giving you a brand new car to drive for over week.

Melville
05-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm glad you got your wood trim replaced while still under warranty. As I mentioned above, I didn't really notice that mine was faded until I knew to look, and after that it was all I could see when I got in the car. The new wood really improves the interior.

I also had the same views about the new C Class when I got one as a loaner car. Nice car but there is a clear difference in the feeling of quality for the C vs. E class. When I first got in the C, my immediate reaction was that it was very nice. But the more I drove it, the more I wanted my E550 back as soon as possible.

One thing that I just can't get over though. Dead buttons. I don't think a car like an E550 should have placeholders for buttons to remind you that you didn't get the fully optioned car. When did MB start doing that? Certainly after the W124 era.

Maui
05-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Yeah the C Class is a nice car compared to many other cars out there but it is not an E Class by far. One morning on my way to work I got into to a stop light race with a Subaru WRX and lost. I told my wife I hope I run into him again in the E550 or the 500E.

Maui
07-18-2015, 04:48 PM
I participated in the Forest Grove Concours d'elegance cruise today. We all drove up to Stoller's Vineyard and enjoyed some fine wines and lunch. The guest of honor was Keith Martin publisher and host of What's my car worth" on the Velocity Channel. He's a very nice guy. I couldn't help but ask him "What's my car worth". The 1958 Alpha and Volvo were his cars. I was especially taken by the black 500E. Tonight we will attend the Concour dinner and attend the main show tomorrow.

07-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I couldn't help but ask him "What's my car worth".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI

Z0YIJQ1jgEI

Maui
07-18-2015, 10:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI

Z0YIJQ1jgEI

I meant it as a joke but he took me seriously and said he'd have to do some research.

Maui
07-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Had a guy offer to buy my car today while it was on display at the Concour. He indicated money was no object, but I graciously declined.

gerryvz
07-19-2015, 10:49 PM
He indicated money was no object, but I graciously declined.A lot of folks say that, until it comes time to get serious on the negotiation.

You should have referred him to the classifieds on this site. :)

Maui
07-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Picked up a set of Cocomats for the 500E. They fit perfect front and rear. (Sorry for the tiny bit of debris on the mat already). :gsxrlove:

nocfn
07-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Great purchase, I love them.

Maui
09-20-2016, 09:46 PM
I should add this to my current owners thread.

Thanks to Gerry for the following how to's on this car.

Head Gasket Replacement (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5082)

Transmission Replacement (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5675)

AC Pod Replacement (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370)

Coil Pack Replacement (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2264)

Climate Control Sampler (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2283)

Door Lock Replacement (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859)

Heater Valve Replacement (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3436)

Maui
09-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Absolutely loving the wagon. Thanks Gerry and Dave for making this such great car. The Sport Line upgrades really make it a pleasure to drive. No rubbing with the 18" BBS wheels either.

Maui
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Installed A new Continental CD7416UB-OR in the wagon. It sounds great and plugs right in with no mods. Has bluetooth to sync up the iphone for handsfree calls and best of all it plays my itunes songs over bluetooth. I highly recommend for someone wanting to upgrade while maintaining the vintage look.

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/continental-cdd7416ub-or.html

Ntrepid
10-05-2016, 04:51 AM
Does it work with the unique setup in the 500E?

Robert

Maui
10-05-2016, 09:17 AM
It is plug and play on face lift cars with the 1492 Becker.