PDA

View Full Version : New MB V-8 and V-6 engines announced today

gerryvz
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
All,

MB announced a new family of engines today.

I've attached the press background documents on them, which detail all facets of the technical specs, development, endurance testing, and so forth.

I'll also add some high-res photos so that you can see them.

Cheers,
Gerry

J. M. van Swaay
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Cool, 435 hp out of 4.7 liters of displacement. Now I just need to figure out how to get one of these new V8's in a 124 chassis.

J. M. van Swaay

Glen
05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow, very impressive specifications. 435 HP from 4.7 liters with twin turbo's is nice...especially considering the improvement in fuel economy. I'm particularly happy that they have finally switched the V6 to a 60 degree config. and got rid of the balance shaft.

I also read an article in Motor Trend that they are developing a 9-speed automatic with MCT for an upcoming baby SLS sports car. With twin turbos, the 60 degree, DOHC, V6 is reportedly rated at 408 HP.

gerryvz
05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
:neeed:

Here are the promised photos. There were about 5 dozen photos, so I only grabbed the most interesting and directly relevant ones....

Cheers,
Gerry

Glen
05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
The new engines appear to be VERY compact! I like the air-to-water intercoolers in the V and the individual timing chains to each bank. This design should prove to be very long lived.

I love the thorough integration of ancillaries too, like the AMG 6.3, the block/timing cover are designed to have the a/c comp, alternator, etc. bolt directly to them without additional bracketry.

M104-AMG
05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I sure hope they don't have the ECU on top of the engine . . .

:-) neil